Author Topic: Do you always take your skateboard when you travel?  (Read 1100 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Do you always take your skateboard when you travel?
« on: December 09, 2021, 07:16:42 AM »
I'd say I take my skateboard with me 99% of the time I travel. Sometimes maybe unnecessarily so because I lug it through airports then only end up skating once or twice when I'm on holiday.

So do you always take your skateboard when you travel? Or under what circumstances do you leave it behind?

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: Do you always take your skateboard when you travel?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 09:42:44 AM »
If I'm in a good situation no I don't. I like to go to the local shops of the places I'm visiting and support, I'll buy a complete and sometimes I'll give the board to a kid before I get to the airport to go home.

When I'm traveling by the skin of my teeth then the board is attached to my backpack even if I don't plan on skating

Aren't I the fucking best

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »
If it's a driving destination, my board is most def in my car.

If it's a flying destination, it depends on where I'm going and what the itinerary is: Hawaii with my wife? Yes. To South America for a shoot for work? No, as I'm on a job with (most likely) a tight schedule.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »
I try to adhere to the dictum "never leave home without a shred sled", in the past even sometimes while hopping trains. However, I'm flying to Denver for 5 days over Xmas and it may be 50 and sunny, or like 15 with snow on the ground, so I'm probably not going to bring it this time. It just seems like all the times you DON'T bring your board, you find the cutty spot or sick park or get the good weather.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »
If I'm in a good situation no I don't. I like to go to the local shops of the places I'm visiting and support, I'll buy a complete and sometimes I'll give the board to a kid before I get to the airport to go home.

When I'm traveling by the skin of my teeth then the board is attached to my backpack even if I don't plan on skating

Aren't I the fucking best

Ha, I usually just give away my deck. I'll put my trucks/wheels in my skate shoes then throw them in my backpack. Adds a lot of weight to my luggage but still fits in my carry on. Much more of a pain to carry around the deck, imho.

I'm also always hesitant to take a new deck when I travel because I'm usually going carry on only. If I had to throw it out at the gate, I don't feel so bad about it if it's a deck I've already skated for a month. I'd just buy a new on at the destination.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 05:29:12 AM »
From 16 until my honeymoon at age 32, I always had my board with me. Nowadays at 37, always when traveling by car and approximately 99% of time when flying.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
Sucks that now days most EU flights don't let you strap a deck to your carry on. I just bring everything else and buy a deck where ever I'm going. I leave at a spot or park the last night/day or give it to someone if I met skaters. I've left a few out side airports also. There is always something to skate at every airport.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »

If it's a flying destination, it depends on where I'm going and what the itinerary is: Hawaii with my wife? Yes. To South America for a shoot for work? No, as I'm on a job with (most likely) a tight schedule.
@TastyBurrito what do you do for work? Videographer/Photographer?

I usually take my board everywhere unless it's a short trip with my family or something. I used to bring my board along with me on the plane but since Ive had some issued before I usually just put it in my bag. If I'm driving you know it's in the trunk.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 10:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
@TastyBurrito what do you do for work? Videographer/Photographer?

I usually take my board everywhere unless it's a short trip with my family or something. I used to bring my board along with me on the plane but since Ive had some issued before I usually just put it in my bag. If I'm driving you know it's in the trunk.

Advertising. Copywriter to be exact. So if I write a spot, I'll be at the shoot - the bougie dudes sitting in video village.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 10:45:06 PM »
Sucks that now days most EU flights don't let you strap a deck to your carry on. I just bring everything else and buy a deck where ever I'm going. I leave at a spot or park the last night/day or give it to someone if I met skaters. I've left a few out side airports also. There is always something to skate at every airport.

I managed to get it onto flights a couple of times by putting the trucks and wheels inside my backpack and having my board strapped to the backpack towards my back. If someone asks, it's just a plank of wood meant as a gift.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 01:41:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I managed to get it onto flights a couple of times by putting the trucks and wheels inside my backpack and having my board strapped to the backpack towards my back. If someone asks, it's just a plank of wood meant as a gift.

I've never had an issue with this. In my experience, the gate agents don't really care as much as the people at the check in counter. My backpack is the largest it can be for carry on size and it's not a hard case so I can mash it into the bin, need be. I know that, technically, the deck is the one thing that won't fit in there so it's always a possibility I may have to throw it out and get a new one at my destination. All the other skate stuff goes inside my skate shoes and into a packing cube.

I think it also helps to have your packing situation be discreet. This packing shot is from when I was traveling for around 2 years so I don't usually take so much stuff:

The grey bag is just an Ikea laundry bag. Since my bag's black, probably would be better to have a black one but the grey still blends and people usually think it's part of my bag. I even put the deck under my jacket once but then it felt kind of sketchy taking it out on the plane haha.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 02:25:46 AM »
Pack trucks and wheels and plan buying a deck. Something about being in the air with used wood feels stale as fuck.
Icehead

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -326
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »
Most definitely I’ll bring it, unless it’s Columbia Cali  lol last time I was there I lost my side bag with in 15 seconds had to stay for longer because credentials were in there.
Dueces Bitch's

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 09:31:14 AM »
Actually super sad about this, I used to take it with me 100% of the time (mostly driving trips), but in the last couple years the board almost never comes along because I’m always recovering from some stupid little injury. For flying, I would usually break it all down and set it up at my destination. I have a duffel bag that I check in that is the perfect length to slip a deck between layers of clothes.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 09:56:10 PM »
Road trips are a 100% yes, even if i end up not using it. If i'm flying, most likely not since its usually just with the wifey or a full on family trip (no time to skate).

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 07:49:32 AM »
always
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate