Author Topic: Travel question semi-related to skating  (Read 938 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
Travel question semi-related to skating
« on: October 24, 2021, 09:51:11 AM »
TIA to whoever can help me out with this. It's a bit of a vague question.

Basically, I want to go on a winter vacation to a place with a lot of mellow rolling hills, forests, and rivers, and not tons of open space and sunlight, preferably in North America.

I don't know why, but I've had this urge to visit somewhere warm with a lot of relaxing vegetation, trees that aren't too large and intimidating, mellow hills that you can bike up and down without too much hassle, and calm rivers. Preferably close to a big city.

Is there anywhere in the south-central US for example that fits the bill? If it's got a good skate scene, that would be a big bonus as well.

Just an idea!

yungthug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
Re: Travel question semi-related to skating
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
I would look in the areas of the continental US in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.

Plenty of cities/towns that meet those qualifications. Just depends on what you specifically are into/looking for.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 01:01:46 PM »
I would look in the areas of the continental US in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.

Plenty of cities/towns that meet those qualifications. Just depends on what you specifically are into/looking for.

That's a good idea, I'll do more research into that area. I'm thinking maybe NC since it'll be relatively warm in the winter months. Thank you!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 04:07:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a good idea, I'll do more research into that area. I'm thinking maybe NC since it'll be relatively warm in the winter months. Thank you!

Asheville NC could be the move. It’s the most liberal city in North Carolina. The food, beer, hard alcohol (distillery) scene is great. In the summer I would recommend Burlington VT for what you are describing but in the winter I think NC will be warm enough especially for a Canadian from, Alberta?

They have a DIY and I’m sure plenty of people here skate it.

https://wlos.com/community/carolina-moment/an-asheville-institution-how-a-diy-community-skatepark-provides-space-for-locals
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:00:24 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Asheville NC could be the move. It’s the most liberal city in North Carolina. The food, beer, hard alcohol (distillery) scene is great. In the summer I would recommend Burlington VT for what you are describing but in the winter I think NC will be warm enough especially for a Canadian from, Alberta?

They have a DIY and I’m sure plenty of people here skate it.

https://wlos.com/community/carolina-moment/an-asheville-institution-how-a-diy-community-skatepark-provides-space-for-locals

Thank you, I'll check it out! I'm from Manitoba, one of the coldest places on earth haha. I'm tired just from the thought of enduring another whole winter so I need to get out.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I highly recommend Raleigh, NC. Spots are everywhere and people are friendly.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I highly recommend Raleigh, NC. Spots are everywhere and people are friendly.

Awesome, thanks!

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »
Vermont in the summer sounds like what youre looking for

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »
There is a lot of forest in Raleigh and NC in general. The greenway bike path system is nice and the hills are mellow. Durham (15 min from Raleigh) / Chapel Hill (30 min from Raleigh) are smaller towns, but that have similar easy to get around vibes. There are rivers / lakes, I just didn't spend much time exploring and swimming in them.

Asheville does have a lot of good swimming spots.

On the west coast, I've spent some time passing through a lot Northern California foothill towns close to Tahoe. Grass Valley ,Auburn, and maybe even Chico might be worth researching. Closer to SoCal perhaps Visalia would be another vibe (but likely not as much river access).

Around the SF Bay area maybe look into San Rafael / Corte Madera.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 04:28:23 PM »
Good stuff, thank you! NC is calling my name.

SoapyEyes

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 11:11:22 AM »
Austin and San Marcos Tx fit the bill. Pretty good skate scene too

SoapyEyes

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 11:12:28 AM »
Oh and Wimberley too for da nature type stuff

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 12:02:21 PM »
👀 i see you adam

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
👀 i see you adam
Haha, one of these fuckin days!

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 06:44:25 PM »

Listen to this guy and come skate with me
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 05:52:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Listen to this guy and come skate with me

Hell yeah

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »
yeah as someone currently living in austin i would say it fits the bill pretty well. winter weather is pretty mellow especially if you're coming from canada, we're currently getting high temps around 75F/23C most days of the week in mid-december. lots of swimming holes and greenbelts, although i haven't felt like it's hot enough that i want to swim anymore. but if you're desperate for some splashing in the sun, our natural spring-fed swim zones stay around 68F all year, so they're a little on the chilled side but never insanely cold. pretty bike friendly, lance armstrong spends his winters here because its a good place to go for long ass rides (or so people tell me). sits at the edge of texas hill country which is full of rolling hills, as the name would suggest. and there are literally countless places where you can eat some dank woodsmoked bbq or tacos at a picnic bench in a dusty lot with a cold beer.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah as someone currently living in austin i would say it fits the bill pretty well. winter weather is pretty mellow especially if you're coming from canada, we're currently getting high temps around 75F/23C most days of the week in mid-december. lots of swimming holes and greenbelts, although i haven't felt like it's hot enough that i want to swim anymore. but if you're desperate for some splashing in the sun, our natural spring-fed swim zones stay around 68F all year, so they're a little on the chilled side but never insanely cold. pretty bike friendly, lance armstrong spends his winters here because its a good place to go for long ass rides (or so people tell me). sits at the edge of texas hill country which is full of rolling hills, as the name would suggest. and there are literally countless places where you can eat some dank woodsmoked bbq or tacos at a picnic bench in a dusty lot with a cold beer.

👍👍👍👍yes

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »
More familiar with the west coast but I feel like SEA or POR Would fit the bill during the summer time. Gets dark really late; and the great outdoor scene is so nice too

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!