Author Topic: Wheel Selection After a 30 Year Break  (Read 1823 times)

briarman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Wheel Selection After a 30 Year Break
« on: October 26, 2021, 05:25:28 AM »
I built my first skateboard last week after not having one for a little over 30 years. Predictably, it's a 10" board. I have 59mm 80a wheels on it which seem like a good choice when cruising around. I took it to the skatepark yesterday and while I wasn't expecting it to go great, the wheels were way slower than I expected while pumping the miniramp. I'm looking for a second set of wheels that are a bit harder & still in that 58-62mm range. Being absent for so long, I don't know what the reputation for certain wheels is anymore (or brands that have started in the past 30 years). Looking at a set of Speedlab American Nomads. How do they compare to various Powell, OJ or Slimeball wheels? I know, I know, it's not just the wheels- it's the fact that I'm 50 and I don't need to go throwing around new gear to cover up my lack of ability, but just curious to see what people would recommend. I'm not looking to do technical tricks- just be able to grind the mini ramp, basic boardslides & that kind of thing. Thanks in advance.

Frank and Fred

Re: Wheel Selection After a 30 Year Break
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »
58mm 97a Spitfire Formula Four conical fulls are what you need and deserve.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 10:39:51 AM »

Both agree and disagree.

Sometimes is depends on the park.

I have a setup likes yours (10" shaped board) with 58mm 97a Spitfire conicals for rougher parks.

Then I have another almost identical setup with 61mm 99a OJ Winkowskis for smoother parks/bowls.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »
If you’re just skating park or mini ramp I would put together a whole different setup. Not sure how big you and your feet are, but a pretty safe setup would be

8.5” deck
Independent 149s
Spitfire F4 97a 56mm conical full
Reds bearings

10” boards are pretty heavy and hard to throw around in the park/mini ramp. Something smaller like I suggested is a lot easier to control. 8.5” is a nice balance between foot space and maneuverability

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
Speedlab makes great wheels. Otherwise, Bones and Spitfire make some of the best wheels with bigger sizes. I recommend 56mm instead of 58s unless you plan to ride rough ground/spots. You generally want the lowest center of gravity, plus modern concave eliminates the need for tall riser pads (if you use them).

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 06:21:34 PM »
A portion on every American Nomad wheel sale goes to this fuckin’ guy…

dofrenzy

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »
I started skating at age 50 without skating much before….as a kid I bombed a small hill on someone else’s skateboard a few times and pushed around a few more times but never got into it, so you can take my experience with a grain of salt.

I started on….well I don’t really know…. it was a complete I had in the garage for 5 years before I used it, but it did feel a little slow after cutting my teeth on it for a few months.  I did my own setup after that and went with 99a 56mm I think.  My locals and streets are harsh asphalt though and I felt slow,  like I was having trouble getting to the coping on the mini at the park, and the vibrations were awful.

Ultimately I went with 58mm 90a (Powell-Peralta Ray Rodriguez wheels) and the New England streets became easier to skate and the slightly larger diameter seemed to give me a little more speed at the park.  However, I have to admit that getting up on the coping, for me, was also about my technique and after about 2.5 years of skating now I am just getting comfortable with throwing my weight around and getting up for axle stalls and slashes.

I have settled on 8.75” popsicles, size 10.5 US shoe but have some 8.6” boards in the queue and had a GREAT time on an 8.5” Krooked board (Ronnie Sandoval model) which seemed quite a bit shorter (lengthwise)  than other boards I have but I really enjoyed that board.

Just throwing some of my experience out there….there are so many things to tweak!!!!

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:46:07 PM »
If you plan to street skate, oj’s key frames are a popular choice in here. Even in the smaller sizes they roll over everything and will put a smile on your face.
The 97a spitfires are awesome, and extremely slick. I like them a lot.
The 97a Bill Dangorth wheels are awesome as well.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 08:11:03 PM »
and don't forget 92a ricta wheels..

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 09:11:08 PM »
You took 30 years off, so you stopped in '91. 

I took 20 years off and stopped in 93, picking it up again 8 years ago.  I'm 48 now.

You think you want 58mm wheels, but ... do you really?

My prediction if you buy some new 58 wheels: You put them on your board, show up to the skatepark and your setup still sucks on the mini ramp.

Keep the board you have as a cruiser.  That's what it's good for.  Buy a new setup. 10" boards are hard to ride.  Big wheels are hard to ride.  You are making it harder on yourself than you need to. 

I've been there.  Since starting back up again I have built up boards from 10" down to 8".   

My go to board is an 8.37" with 149s and 54mm wheels.  I could ride this everywhere and be happy.

My transition board is an 8.75 with 159s and 55mm wheels.  This doesn't flip well enough to be ridden everywhere, but it is good for what I use it for.

I have 7 other boards built right now, but these two get almost all the use.

If you don't ever plan on flipping a board again try an 8.75 (like the Anti Hero Eagle) with Indy 159s and 54-56mm Spitfire F4 99a wheels.

If you think you may flip, go for an 8.5 with Hollow Forged 149s and 54mm Spitfire F4s 99a and call it a day. 

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:37 AM »
If you don't ever plan on flipping a board again try an 8.75 (like the Anti Hero Eagle) with Indy 159s and 54-56mm Spitfire F4 99a wheels.

If you think you may flip, go for an 8.5 with Hollow Forged 149s and 54mm Spitfire F4s 99a and call it a day.

This right here is going to save old dudes a ton of money in the long run...although I kind of settled on an in between 8.6 w/ 159s and 54mm F4s as my atv after experimenting a bunch...
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 06:27:13 AM »

Absolutely. I just set up some 56mm F4 97a (classics for me) and they are also awesome for sidewalk surfing/road (i have 1/8 risers to take the vibes down). Definitely recommend the 97a for that extra flexibility.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 07:25:15 AM »
Great thread, and welcome back! My story almost exactly mirrors @backinaction.

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 07:37:41 AM »
I'd definitely recommend a 54-56 wheel max, unless you go full retro mode. They're a little hard for street cruising, but Spitfire Formula 4's are honestly probably the only meaningful technological upgrade I've made to my setup in the last 30 years.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 08:33:18 AM »

I took 20 years off and stopped in 93, picking it up again 8 years ago.  I'm 48 now.

My prediction if you buy some new 58 wheels: You put them on your board, show up to the skatepark and your setup still sucks on the mini ramp.

Keep the board you have as a cruiser.  That's what it's good for.  Buy a new setup. 10" boards are hard to ride.  Big wheels are hard to ride.  You are making it harder on yourself than you need to. 

I've been there.  Since starting back up again I have built up boards from 10" down to 8".   

My go to board is an 8.37" with 149s and 54mm wheels.  I could ride this everywhere and be happy.

My transition board is an 8.75 with 159s and 55mm wheels.  This doesn't flip well enough to be ridden everywhere, but it is good for what I use it for.

This would be my advice, as well. A lot of old guys think we need wider boards because it’s going more stable or more familiar, but the reality is that the 8-8.75” popsicle skateboard won out in the battle of ideas because it perfectly fits the needs of a broad number of people and styles of skating.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 09:50:25 AM »
as someone that rode 60mm wheels for ages. im now on 55mm Spitfire OG Classics and the roll over crust just as well as bigger wheels i had. shouldve gotten these years ago.
smaller wheels accelerate faster than big wheels too. i get a lot more speed out of my pump in small transition now.
also the wheelbase can affect your pumping aswell. since its a 10 inch board there's a chance you're running a longer wheelbase than you would really need for a miniramp. any chance you know what wheelbase you're riding?

i'm not going to tell you to size down, i like my big boards too.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 10:10:24 AM »

You can totally flip that rig.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 10:18:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yep, but it is doubtful a 45+ year old who just took 30 years off can. 

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »

honestly, i couldn't agree more than this post

CrackWhore2000

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 05:38:21 PM »
Old vert skater here, 41. skated 64mm back then, on 60mm now, for both cruising and vert.  If your'e mainly concerned about skating ramps, which you probably were back then stick with the bigger wheels.

indy is new indy geometry, ace is old indy geometry.

skating a few decks ranging from 9.25 to 10,  its not about balance, i just like more area to land on.  but big wheels 58-60 are still the goto on transition. some go a bit smaller and have a do everything kinda setup.

6'0, 175lbs, athletic shape, 14.75" - 15" wheelbase fits great but not exactly stocked everywhere unless you go for the 'reissued' old school decks.

cant offer any advice if street skating is your thing.

briarman

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 10:39:15 PM »

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. This response in particular has me rethinking everything. I lived in a rural area growing up and didn't really know skaters who were significantly better than me. My video collection consisted of a whopping 2 videos- Oceanside '85 competition & Alva Rock Monster, which were far from cutting edge... lightyears away from how things developed in the next 5 years. I'm 48 as well & skated from 1986-90. I only skated street back then which consisted of boneless & related tricks, grinding curbs, riding off 2-3' ledges... not a lot. My favorite skating back then was riding hills and carving a local bank. I really got out of skating when everything started being ollie based. My new friends were all about tricks & I just enjoyed riding around. Sooo... yeah, I have no desire to flip the board. Eventually, I'd like to be able to ollie enough to get up curbs and that kind of thing. My mini ramp aspirations are just to grind the coping and perhaps some basic lip tricks.

What you say makes sense. Being up on 59mm wheels on 1/2" risers on a 10" board... I guess I can see how that's not that stable. I was going for familiarity. I'm heavy- 220 & wear size 13 shoes. What scares me the most about popsicle boards isn't the width but the gigantic nose. My favorite board in the 80s was a Skull Skates Dave Hackett that must've been 11x31 with no more than 2" of nose. ...a tank. I'm going to mull it over some but I think I will shop around for some of the suggestion you pose. Thanks a lot!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 12:14:34 AM »
With big ol’ feet you can still ollie and ride transition on a 9-inch no problem.
They come in all shapes and flavors, old-school shapes (with proper noses for ollies, as well as popsicles.  (skull skates makes them too!)

As for wheels, pretty much what everyone else said. You can go smaller (56mm is my limit tho), and anything from 95a-100a, depending if your mainly riding rougher ground or smoother mini/concrete.

Good luck!
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »
What you say makes sense. Being up on 59mm wheels on 1/2" risers on a 10" board... I guess I can see how that's not that stable. I was going for familiarity. I'm heavy- 220 & wear size 13 shoes. What scares me the most about popsicle boards isn't the width but the gigantic nose. My favorite board in the 80s was a Skull Skates Dave Hackett that must've been 11x31 with no more than 2" of nose. ...a tank. I'm going to mull it over some but I think I will shop around for some of the suggestion you pose. Thanks a lot!

I don't run risers with 54s, and run 1/8th with 56s on Indies with the forged baseplate - which is 1.5mm shorter than the cast. Low is more stable, even on grinds.  If you are working on 50/50s they will be easier without the riser.  If you are trying to learn to ollie it will be easier without the riser.  The riser will delay the tail hitting the ground and you will have to work harder to get the board to pop. 

As far as noses - I'm the opposite.  A few years ago I built a 10+"Schmitt Joe Lopes BBQ deck because I had wanted that one a a kid and couldn't get it.  Schmitt makes two versions of their reissues - modern concave and original.  I bough the modern so I would feel a bit more locked it - but the lack of nose scares the shit out of me at the park.  I am constantly feeling like that front foot is going to come off when I ollie over a hip or something.  I don't even have trucks on that deck right now because it's not even fun for me.  Big noses are your friend.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 06:28:47 AM »

dofrenzy

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 07:26:10 AM »
Here is a good article for old guys to read about wheel sizes.

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/08/wheel-sizesthe-big-and-small-of-it.html

@backinaction Thanks for that link.  It’s got me thinking about a smaller wheel for my miniramp, 54mm instead of 58mm….I don’t know if I’ll ever change because change is scary for me!  I went to 58 because I read they could be faster and I felt like I was lacking speed, but I know it was experience that I lacked when I made that change.  Good read and lots of food for thought, thanks again.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 07:33:11 AM »
That blog has some good info but also some very questionable info. Proceed with caution.  You're honestly going to get better info from SLAP's S and G Pals.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 07:49:13 AM »

i agree on the 97a spitfire or oj nomad 95a either will do you well in park and rough street. the 97a does it all! but get the size you feel most comfortable with i ride 54mm for speed in the park and i have really rough asphalt i skate at my house. also depends on what you are skating. but the spitfire 97a is my pick for does it all wheel.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 08:01:43 AM »
That blog has some good info but also some very questionable info. Proceed with caution.  You're honestly going to get better info from SLAP's S and G Pals.

I would agree that his comments on the specific wheels are wrong/dated.  It was written in 2013.  But I think the big point of "you don't need big wheels" is spot on.

54mm with fast bearings (Swiss, Swiss 6 or ceramic) it the way to go for me.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
The topic seems pretty well covered but let me throw in my two cents about shape. Boxier shapes like conical fulls are great for stability with their wider riding surface but not as fun or easy to ride (IMO) when skating transition then a more rounded wheel (classics).

From my experiences wheels that have that rounded SF classic shape are the best for transition because they make getting into and out of coping tricks easier than any other wheel I've tried. I've tried the conical fulls and the first day was a mess, got rejected trying to get into things several times when the edge of a wheel caught the under side of the coping, and hung up several times trying to roll back in when the edge of a wheel would get caught against the deck-side of the coping. I rode them for a couple weeks and got used to them,  put a lil more umph into the riding on and off motions, but still 1/10 times I'd either get bonked off by the underside of the coping or pitched to the flat by getting stuck on the coping topside. For me that usually makes for some really awkward falls so I swapped back to classics.

No hate towards conical fulls though, they are great for street because that easy lock-in design works great with grinds you're either going to be popping out of or riding off of.

tl,dr - I'd recommend the classic shaped spitfire 54-56mm as the next thing to try. hardness depends on the surface but 97a is  great for most concrete surfaces.