Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69342 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #780 on: August 24, 2022, 05:29:52 AM »
So I had the 144 Ultralights on a Hopps 8.25/14.25 wb for a while and could never really get used to it.  Coming from Thunders, I fugured maybe a 14.38 wb would be better.  Recently set up an April 8.25/14 wb.  I decided to give the Royals a go again, and they felt great on this deck.  Not sure why with the shorter wheelbase, but they work.  All flip tricks felt good right away.

Is one steep and one mellow?

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #781 on: August 24, 2022, 06:09:39 AM »
The April deck is definitely really mellow.  Almost too mellow for me.  I've been riding 14.25 or 14.38 for a long time.  What got me to try this was although the wb was only 14, the tail was like 6.8, so still almost a 32 inch deck.  The Royals seem to work

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #782 on: August 24, 2022, 11:54:21 AM »
The April deck is definitely really mellow.  Almost too mellow for me.  I've been riding 14.25 or 14.38 for a long time.  What got me to try this was although the wb was only 14, the tail was like 6.8, so still almost a 32 inch deck.  The Royals seem to work

The longer tails really help with shorter wheebases (Primitive boards come to mind).

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #783 on: August 24, 2022, 12:29:19 PM »
Borrowing these trucks to a friend and rode his board a bit today, I'm still baffled by the manual point. Didn't tell him about it and he also struggled with manuals.

Did anybody feel the same and got used to it in the end? I love learning new manual tricks since I've switched to ace, so that was a pretty big deal for me. On aces the manual works on every deck for me, no matter wb, kick length, steepness.

Still like everything else about the royals, amazing trucks.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #784 on: September 11, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #785 on: September 11, 2022, 05:42:25 PM »
Yes they are the new ones.

@Xen did you mean that the Ace bushings felt same as stock or bad like Bones? I have a set and I want to firm these things up a tad and would like to avoid using Indy blues.

dublak2

• Rep: -2
« Reply #786 on: September 16, 2022, 09:33:45 AM »
I bought the new royals, but I did not like the bushings it came with. I do not know the durometer but I assume it was very soft. I tightened the kingpin so much and it still felt loose (I'm 230 lbs.) I was looking for a tight feel.

I traditionally always ride everything stock until I bought some Bones hard bushings to rectify the loose feel and left both metal washers on, skipped the Bones black washer. Night and day difference. Feels super stable and centered in the crouch.

They grinded really long for the first ride and I like the turn better than Thunder. I think these new royals got me, just wish the stock bushings weren't so squishy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2022, 09:48:16 AM »
I bought the new royals, but I did not like the bushings it came with. I do not know the durometer but I assume it was very soft. I tightened the kingpin so much and it still felt loose (I'm 230 lbs.) I was looking for a tight feel.

I traditionally always ride everything stock until I bought some Bones hard bushings to rectify the loose feel and left both metal washers on, skipped the Bones black washer. Night and day difference. Feels super stable and centered in the crouch.

They grinded really long for the first ride and I like the turn better than Thunder. I think these new royals got me, just wish the stock bushings weren't so squishy.

At 230lbs, you def need hard bushings in there. I'm 185/190 and they need some cranking down try some Krux 92a; note that the royal bottom is taller than other brand (stock indy/deluxe bait and tackle) but not by much. Krux are much closer in height, as are Indy aftermarket’s.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:41:34 PM by Xen »

dublak2

• Rep: -2
« Reply #788 on: September 17, 2022, 05:00:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
At 230lbs, you def need hard bushings in there. I'm 185/190 and they need some cranking down try some Krux 92a; note that the royal bottom is taller than other brand (stock indy/deluxe bait and tackle) but not by much. Krux are much closer in height, as are Indy aftermarket’s.

I hear you but I have setups w/ stock Indy's, stock Slant brand (Globe), stock Thunders, and stock CCS truck. Even the cheapo trucks did not squish like the Royal bushings. I purpose some of those boards for cruising or bowl skating so they are loser, but I was getting the same feeling from the Royals with a whole hell of a lot more kingpin thread showing.

Oh well, problem solved and I'm really digging them so far after the bushing swap. Not as jittery as Thunders. I could not speak to how they "pinch" but my crooked/smith/feeble game is pretty whack so I'm not qualified.

I'm just saying they turn smooth, keep stable, and grind. Would buy again. Seacrest out.

chinotto

• Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #789 on: November 03, 2022, 04:21:00 PM »
Thought id share my thoughts on ultralights. I rode them for about 6 month and just switched to aces and i think a lot of things said in this thread were my experience as well. They’re a bit trickier to manual than aces and my manuals have improved since i switched and they’re definitely harder to pinch crookeds on and lock in compared to aces, just my experience. Im having way more fun on aces, i put a hollow hanger on the lows. The aces also being lower suprisingly wheelbite less than royals.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #790 on: November 04, 2022, 03:22:15 AM »
I have been skating the IKP version for about 9 months now and have no problem with pinching.
Doing a lot of crooked grinds. I flirted with the idea of getting some team thunders but the fact that their bushings
are really bad turns me off. I don't want to fiddle around with different bushings and stuff. I read a lot of suggestions in the Thunder thread  ;D. The royal bushings are still perfect after 9 months, with no cracks whatsoever.

I stepped on some aces a while back and did some cruising. They felt really nice. But I will probably just get a new set of royals raws this time. Riding the same setup for while now and don't want to get used to something different.

IpathCats

« Reply #791 on: November 04, 2022, 05:11:21 AM »
I have been skating the IKP version for about 9 months now and have no problem with pinching.
Doing a lot of crooked grinds. I flirted with the idea of getting some team thunders but the fact that their bushings
are really bad turns me off
. I don't want to fiddle around with different bushings and stuff. I read a lot of suggestions in the Thunder thread  ;D. The royal bushings are still perfect after 9 months, with no cracks whatsoever.

I stepped on some aces a while back and did some cruising. They felt really nice. But I will probably just get a new set of royals raws this time. Riding the same setup for while now and don't want to get used to something different.

I went through two sets on my thunders in no time. I cracked a bottom bushing on my second set ALL THE WAY THROUGH in one session. I like to think this was just a bad set or something, but still, thats insane.

Pics of your beat royals?

sebbo

« Reply #792 on: November 05, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »

Probably a couple of months more life in them :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #793 on: November 05, 2022, 10:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote
are really bad turns me off
. I don't want to fiddle around with different bushings and stuff. I read a lot of suggestions in the Thunder thread  ;D. The royal bushings are still perfect after 9 months, with no cracks whatsoever.

[close]

I went through two sets on my thunders in no time. I cracked a bottom bushing on my second set ALL THE WAY THROUGH in one session. I like to think this was just a bad set or something, but still, thats insane.

I know a lot of people that skate Thunders and no one switches from stock. Most feel they're great as long as you don't live in freezing temps.

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #794 on: November 06, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
Is there any consensus on what are the best bushings to replace stock with? I need something hard, like 96+

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: November 14, 2022, 01:50:01 PM »
ACE hards?

I'm running the ACE Classic (dual duro) they work just as well, if not better than stock. Didn't need to crank them down to 'comfy' - with the stocks I had threads showing, with these I don't.

If you want 96+ yeah, pick up the ACE hards.

One kid at Tampa Am was going hard with these on.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 05:04:05 PM by Xen »

sebbo

« Reply #796 on: November 15, 2022, 07:58:22 AM »

Yeah, saw that. A lot of the Japanese kids ride royals, right?

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #797 on: November 15, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Literally never seen Royals in Japan. All Thunder, Indy, Venture and Ace.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #798 on: November 15, 2022, 04:43:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

FWIW the new Ultra Lights we’re available in JP months ahead of the US.

jimgrude

« Reply #799 on: November 15, 2022, 07:55:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know, I've seen it in stores, but never on anyone's board. Just like Japan has its own Theeve team, yet it seems I'm the only one dorking around with them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #800 on: November 15, 2022, 08:03:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know, I've seen it in stores, but never on anyone's board. Just like Japan has its own Theeve team, yet it seems I'm the only one dorking around with them.

Speaking of Theeve, they now have a ton of trucks in stock on the us website; tempted to nab some TiKings.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #801 on: November 16, 2022, 08:45:35 AM »
Speaking of Theeve, they now have a ton of trucks in stock on the us website; tempted to nab some TiKings.

I don't understand Theeve pricing.  The upgrade from a steel axle to a titanium one is $14.  Then for a hollow kingpin they want $24 more after that.   Huh?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #802 on: November 16, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't understand Theeve pricing.  The upgrade from a steel axle to a titanium one is $14.  Then for a hollow kingpin they want $24 more after that.   Huh?

Yeah, crazy expensive, which isn't helping their already diminished popularity. But if you know, you know.

jimgrude

« Reply #803 on: November 16, 2022, 07:10:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, TiKing isn't worth it now that they no longer come with an actual titanium kingpin. Tiax is kinda worth it if you have trouble with the axle ends getting bashed up.
For most people, however, I'd recomment the new CSX hollow, or regular CSX if you don't care about weight.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: November 17, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That Ti kingpin was light AF...serious weight reduction.

[close]

Yeah, TiKing isn't worth it now that they no longer come with an actual titanium kingpin. .
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:08:43 PM by Xen »

Shrimp Po-boy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #805 on: December 02, 2022, 09:09:46 AM »
I had planned on switching to ventures from Indy eventually and this thread convinced me to give royals a try. Thanks guys. Ordered some 149 ultra lights from tactics with their 20% off sale. I’m going to try my best not to set them up immediately and let these Indy’s have an honorable death.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #806 on: December 02, 2022, 05:40:14 PM »
I had planned on switching to ventures from Indy eventually and this thread convinced me to give royals a try. Thanks guys. Ordered some 149 ultra lights from tactics with their 20% off sale. I’m going to try my best not to set them up immediately and let these Indy’s have an honorable death.

If anyone wants to try them they are going on SWH for $30 -ish a pair on SWH daily dose, standard raw model
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #807 on: December 10, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »
I grabbed a set of Pig bushings for my Ventures but they are too tall. 

They fit perfectly in the new Royals.  They are also super nice. I would say as good as the stock bushings.  Skated in colder temps, upper 30s, and they stayed consistent just like the stock bushings as well.

If you need something a little stiffer they are a great alternative.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #808 on: December 10, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »

They fit perfectly in the new Royals.  They are also super nice. I would say as good as the stock bushings.  Skated in colder temps, upper 30s, and they stayed consistent just like the stock bushings as well.

What kind of top washer did you use? Doesn't seem like any stock washers fit them. Bones?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #809 on: December 10, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What kind of top washer did you use? Doesn't seem like any stock washers fit them. Bones?

Stock Royal washer worked perfectly