Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69503 times)

IpathCats

Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »
Its 2021 and the royal thread is popping on SLAP. What timeline is this?

Also, pretty cool for all you ikp guys that the baseplate fits a nut nice and snug.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:34 PM »

Also, pretty cool for all you ikp guys that the baseplate fits a nut nice and snug.

one could blame the lateness of the lurpiv deliveries

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2021, 03:06:21 PM »
not really sure whos market share they are after
seem like middle ground everywhere

The only remaining niche where truck madness can progress is in the indistinct negative space left by the other truck companies.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2021, 03:10:41 PM »
That pivot cup looks like shit. Also, seems like there isn’t nearly as much material above the axle compared to other brands from a quick Google Image comparison. Casting looks pretty rough.

I don’t get why you’d switch to a flat washer without riding them as they came since the washer is almost flat anyways.

One big question is about the kingpin nut. If it’s floating in the hanger like that and the bushings compress under impact then it has the potential to move and create stress. It makes sense to always have it pressed, glued, cast, or held in in some manner.

Yeah, questionable pivot cup for sure, the other one is fine, we'll see if they blow out after skating.  I've shit stock thunder, indy and ventures too, but this 'hand poured' shit is leading to slome sloppy work regardless of brand.

Don't give a shit about casting, I won't be looking at them. However, they are 'rougher', I am not sure what it all entails but looking at other truck finishes, they just don't looked 'polished' or smoothed out (like Thunders or ventures are). Again, not concerned about it since they're for grinding...as long as the rough casting doesn't mean weaker material.

Plenty of clearance. Less hanger meat than Indy TI hangers but not by much, maybe 1/2mm, more than my ventures 5.6s (never ridden) and about the same as my thunder 147s (never grinded) and skated tensors (least ridden pair) - all new hangers except the indys/tensors mind you but they are my least used indy hangers. I can assure you as I am not looking at shitty angled google images, but the actual trucks. The stock inverted pin, flush nut sits below the visible axle through the slot on the hanger (meaning there is a tiny bit more axle, just like every truck out there, above the hanger metal). But they are in no way less metal than everything out there.

Venture 5.6 | Royal (royal clearly has more meat)

Much like you prefer to constantly shit on these trucks (coming from a what appears to be a typical ride the best, fuck the rest rider mentality - mid rider at that - that's expected tho), and thread, without even trying them, I always prefer a flat washer; I ride very loose and prefer to not have my bushings bind/get chewed into the stock cup washers, happens every time. It's like running without washers but a tad more stable and without the mush factor. Also, I always try things stock before I switch shit out, nowhere did I say I was swapping anything before riding them. You know what they say about when you assume.

As for the nut floating in the plate, it isn't, it's glued/attached, fucking welded for all I know, to the nutshaft...it doesn't fall out if you remove the kingpin, it stays in the plate just like the indy IKP.

Stop trying to look for some flaw to hang your fucking hat on, only makes you look worse. They're not for you, move on.

Setting them up now, skating later; here's hoping they don't suck and turn better than Ventures (which is what I get a gut fleeing they're going to feel like).

Expand Quote

[close]

Not for those that don't want a 55mm truck.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 03:59:36 PM by Xen »

IpathCats

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2021, 03:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stop patronizing me! Haha. But I seriously doubt there's much overlap if any from lurpiv to royal folks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2021, 04:10:40 PM »
Expand Quote
That pivot cup looks like shit. Also, seems like there isn’t nearly as much material above the axle compared to other brands from a quick Google Image comparison. Casting looks pretty rough.

I don’t get why you’d switch to a flat washer without riding them as they came since the washer is almost flat anyways.

One big question is about the kingpin nut. If it’s floating in the hanger like that and the bushings compress under impact then it has the potential to move and create stress. It makes sense to always have it pressed, glued, cast, or held in in some manner.
[close]

Yeah, questionable pivot cup for sure, the other one is fine, we'll see if they blow out after skating.  I've shit stock thunder, indy and ventures too, but this 'hand poured' shit is leading to slome sloppy work regardless of brand.

Don't give a shit about casting, I won't be looking at them. However, they are 'rougher', I am not sure what it all entails but looking at other truck finishes, they just don't looked 'polished' or smoothed out (like Thunders or ventures are). Again, not concerned about it since they're for grinding...as long as the rough casting doesn't mean weaker material.

Plenty of clearance. Less hanger meat than Indy TI hangers but not by much, maybe 1/2mm, more than my ventures 5.6s (never ridden) and about the same as my thunder 147s (never grinded) and skated tensors (least ridden pair) - all new hangers except the indys/tensors mind you but they are my least used indy hangers. I can assure you as I am not looking at shitty angled google images, but the actual trucks. The stock inverted pin, flush nut sits below the visible axle through the slot on the hanger (meaning there is a tiny bit more axle, just like every truck out there, above the hanger metal). But they are in no way less metal than everything out there.

Much like you prefer to constantly shit on these trucks (coming from a what appears to be a typical Indy rider - mid rider at that - that's expected tho), and thread, without even trying them, I always prefer a flat washer; I ride very loose and prefer to not have my bushings bind/get chewed into the stock cup washers, happens every time. It's like running without washers but a tad more stable and without the mush factor. Also, I always try things stock before I switch shit out, nowhere did I say I was swapping anything before riding them. You know what they say about when you assume.

As for the nut floating in the plate, it isn't, it's glued/attached, fucking welded for all I know, to the nutshaft...it doesn't fall out if you remove the kingpin, it stays in the plate just like the indy IKP.

Setting them up now, skating later; here's hoping they don't suck and turn better than Ventures (which is what I get a gut fleeing they're going to feel like).

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm looking at Ventures sitting here and they have way more meat than your pics so maybe it's angle.

I've ridden Venture and Thunder for long periods as well, both are great trucks and have a market need even if they don't fill my current preferences. Even the trucks I currently like have issues, but these 3 brands at least have design and QC under control, which Royal historically has not.

I'm guessing you dismissed Mids because of the weight much like I did, but then I actually rode them and ate my words and really like them. I don't think my preference has anything to do with the flaws about these trucks that I am raising.

Also, there are some worries looking at how they are made: the rough casting implies a cheaper alloy that uses a lot of more brittle materials as well as poor molds. Not every opinion of something new has to be positive. Let's be real- these are discount Thunders primarily used by Crail guys as part of a sponsor package deal, but if they work great then it's good for everyone.

If the nut isn't pressed or fixed and is relying on tension from the KP thread that is quite a poor design. Hopefully it doesn't lead to baseplate and kingpin issues. It seems like something that could easily wear away the metal and come loose over time.

I Can't Think

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2021, 05:42:54 PM »
My guy ^^^ you seem to have a big negative bias towards royal. I don't get why though, there's some valid criticism in there but it's hampered by that bias. If it's shit people will find out and that'll be the end of it no?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2021, 06:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Much like you prefer to constantly shit on these trucks (coming from a what appears to be a typical Indy rider - mid rider at that - that's expected tho), and thread, without even trying them, I always prefer a flat washer; I ride very loose and prefer to not have my bushings bind/get chewed into the stock cup washers, happens every time. It's like running without washers but a tad more stable and without the mush factor. Also, I always try things stock before I switch shit out, nowhere did I say I was swapping anything before riding them. You know what they say about when you assume.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm looking at Ventures sitting here and they have way more meat than your pics so maybe it's angle.

My pic comparison clearly shows more meat on the royal. Casting tolerances who knows. I'm going off what I see.

I've ridden Venture and Thunder for long periods as well, both are great trucks and have a market need even if they don't fill my current preferences. Even the trucks I currently like have issues, but these 3 brands at least have design and QC under control, which Royal historically has not.

I've ridden: Indy (since Stage III), Thunder since Stage I, Venture since Stage 1 (do they have stages?), Gullwing, Tracker, GK, Tensor (both sliders and ATG), Mini Logo, ACE (all stages), Theeve, Krux, blah, blah... but never the old royals because of the issues people had or cited and the rep was they were trash.

But these days, each one fills a need for someone (carve/stability/pinch/grind), and as someone who likes ML trucks because they work as intended, and have good QC (but too low for me and fuck risers), I am willing to give Royal a shot; you on the other hand, come across like you want them to fail 'just because'.

I'm guessing you dismissed Mids because of the weight much like I did, but then I actually rode them and ate my words and really like them. I don't think my preference has anything to do with the flaws about these trucks that I am raising.

Weight and crappy IKP clearance. I didn't feel they offered enough for me to accept the weight (I'm a bitch that way) over say, a forged hollow or ti (1.5mm isn't going to make or break anything for me).

It's not your preference, but your overall attitude, dude. You're casting judgement without first hand experience/judging a book by it's cover and making assumptions to find a flaw: they're probably brittle/rough casting, the nut is going to fall out, not enough meat on the hanger (proved you dead wrong with my pic). I'm not saying anything you brought up isn't true or couldn't be true, but it hasn't been proven and you come across like a forum troll, plain and simple.

Literally one person on this board has skated them, that being @144p (I have rolled around on mine but have not put them through their paces yet so I am refraining from making any knee-jerk reaction posts, but I will say it's trending positive based on how they feel out of the gate); and as far as I know there is nothing on the web from any early reviews.

Also, there are some worries looking at how they are made: the rough casting implies a cheaper alloy that uses a lot of more brittle materials as well as poor molds. Not every opinion of something new has to be positive. Let's be real- these are discount Thunders primarily used by Crail guys as part of a sponsor package deal, but if they work great then it's good for everyone.

I'm not a metallurgist, but if they are weak, then they are, they break are shit and we move on, right? Now looking at 'polished' trucks, like Thunder, clearly they polish them (or powdercoat them), to get rid of the raw casting/flaws right? I've got thunders on hand that have some pitted spots but that's only where the polishing isn't; sure they are nice and shiny but so what? Either crail said fuck it to keep costs down, or they are shit, to keep costs down.

If they are part of a sponsor package, the IKP seem like a lot of hassle to go through, to me anyway. Why even bother with a 'redesign'? Who are they selling too? Did they just have some extra metal around? They needed something to sell with crail completes? Perhaps it's a real effort to make a decent truck? I look forward to your Lurpiv opinions.

Using ML as a reference, if Royal managed to make something good, with [TBD] good quality control, great. You're bashing them before even trying them first hand...picking shit apart based on pictures...and again, you said yourself it's your opinion: an uneducated armchair one at that. Because you haven't skated them. I'm also not discrediting your comments on casting because it checks out but yet to be proven here.

The same can be said about the old tensor vs new, they are night and day, and arguably on par (regs, not mags that some people bend axles with) with the QC of all the rest, if not better. Fuck, ACE can't even get their shit together...after 10+ years. People won't skate ML because 'ML' yet they have never failed me, nor do you see any QC issues outhere there (which could be because no one skates them ;) but they can hold their own against any of the big boys. Like Royal, they are low wide and light, something missing in the Indy/Ace camp (Thunder/venture being the other).

If the nut isn't pressed or fixed and is relying on tension from the KP thread that is quite a poor design. Hopefully it doesn't lead to baseplate and kingpin issues. It seems like something that could easily wear away the metal and come loose over time.

No idea, I was hoping for a fixed hex hole like the Indy or film plates, that's piece of mind to me. As it is, I have no idea (and we never will unless someone cuts this fucker open) how they have it attached, but from just looking at them, I can't visibly see a 'seam' to where a standalone nut would meet the plug in the plate, it actually looks like a solid milled piece, this is the best I can get right now:

I honestly can't see a seam (pics don't do it justice), it just looks like one straight piece right up to the nylock.

I'm curious of the extra threading and if it might cause snappage, even tho it's threaded all the way/deep unlike Indy or Krux pins...what I do like about this amount of threading is I know it's still 'in there' even if I were to back out of the nylon of the nut, sure it would come way loose and probably snap off, but I don't feel like it would just fall out (I always have this fear since I ride loose, and have had it happen once with krux pins)...part of the IKP-life I guess.

To be clear, I am not saying they are best fucking thing out there, or better than XXX brand, or anything, because I haven't put them through the ringer yet. They could suck/break in the first week, baseplates could snap on the first slappy (tho they lasted through a few under 144p) I have no idea, and neither do you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:08:42 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2021, 07:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the pics @Xen, and the 5.6 TI from months ago.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2021, 07:54:01 PM »
My guy ^^^ you seem to have a big negative bias towards royal. I don't get why though, there's some valid criticism in there but it's hampered by that bias. If it's shit people will find out and that'll be the end of it no?

I really don’t, these just don’t look well made.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2021, 08:02:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really don’t, these just don’t look well made.

But you do.

Having held them in my hand, I can tell you they feel (and look) better made than the ML trucks, hell even some thunders/ventures models for that matter. Come to think of it the only truck out there with a finish that looks well made, out of the box, are Tensor mags, everything else looks cheap and rough. You seme really hung up on the casting look of these...if they were polished....

Thanks for the pics @Xen, and the 5.6 TI from months ago.

Just trying to help those interested in trying out new shit.

Glad you are enjoying them, wish they had worked for me (I'm too sloppy/sketchy and ventures fight me).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:16:17 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »
I'm going to answer your criticisms in 1 post Xen, then stop polluting.

• 1. Mini Logo? Are you serious? That's setting the bar pretty fucking low.
    2. I do not understand why you keep bringing what I ride into this thread. I am not comparing Royals to Mids. You seem to just want to bring up what I'm currently riding to discredit my personal opinion, which I've said is just based on appearances.
    3. Mids also bring the wheelbase in 6mm. They have a more Indy-like pop feel than forged plates. This was by design. They replace lows and have more kingpin clearance. In order to actually turn like standards they use taller bushings and the IKP does have more clearance than a standard nut. I don't know why Ben Degros and Slap thought they would be a miracle truck in that regard. Again, I am not comparing Royals to Mids.
    4. I compare all trucks to the big 3. Ace has had so many QC issues that I view them with skepticism.
    5. I am loosely familiar with the various aluminum alloys out there as well as what they tend to look like after casting after apprenticing at a forgery. The big 3 all have much better raw finishes and this looks exactly like alloys that use tin and zinc. They are usually fairly light, but also brittle. These alloys are commonly used in shoddy aluminum products often from China, so no surprise there.
    6. I've said like a dozen times I don't want to see them fail, but I am viewing them with skepticism since their company has a long history of shitty products and cutting corners. How long did Crail have wood that was literally among the worst in skateboarding? Royals were the worst of the worst for 2 decades. So from that end they're the ones that have something to prove and I will remain skeptical until they do.
    7. It is really easy to see how bad their QC is from your pictures. The lip of the nut sleeve isn't even flush with the base plate. From the underside photo of the nut you can see that they have an excess alloy lip on the inner part of the base plate hole. This suggests some sloppy casting. I am looking at a pair of cast plate Ventures, Thunders, and Aces and none of them have lips from casting. On the right side of the photo you can see how the edge of the base plate relief groove isn't even straight.
    8. Can you take your set of Mids as well as other trucks, set them flat on a table, place a bubble level on the axle and then use a MM rule or calipers to measure kingpin clearance? I have and my Mids have better clearance than Thunders and I wonder how Royal managed to get the best clearance supposedly for this height with standard sized bushings. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all in 1mm or so of one another. I think Slap just likes to parrot Ben Degros because there isn't a single Mid rider that I have met or seen that has significant scratches on their kingpin on the sides. If I measure from the top of the hanger to the side of the dome it actually has the same clearance as my forged hollows.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2021, 08:30:29 PM »

2. I do not understand why you keep bringing what I ride into this thread. I am not comparing Royals to Mids. You seem to just want to bring up what I'm currently riding to discredit my personal opinion, which I've said is just based on appearances.
    3. Mids also bring the wheelbase in 6mm. They have a more Indy-like pop feel than forged plates. This was by design. They replace lows and have more kingpin clearance. In order to actually turn like standards they use taller bushings and the IKP does have more clearance than a standard nut. I don't know why Ben Degros and Slap thought they would be a miracle truck in that regard. Again, I am not comparing Royals to Mids.
    4. I compare all trucks to the big 3. Ace has had so many QC issues that I view them with skepticism.
    5. I am loosely familiar with the various aluminum alloys out there as well as what they tend to look like after casting after apprenticing at a forgery. The big 3 all have much better raw finishes and this looks exactly like alloys that use tin and zinc. They are usually fairly light, but also brittle. These alloys are commonly used in shoddy aluminum products often from China, so no surprise there.
    6. I've said like a dozen times I don't want to see them fail, but I am viewing them with skepticism since their company has a long history of shitty products and cutting corners. How long did Crail have wood that was literally among the worst in skateboarding? Royals were the worst of the worst for 2 decades. So from that end they're the ones that have something to prove and I will remain skeptical until they do.
    7. It is really easy to see how bad their QC is from your pictures. The lip of the nut sleeve isn't even flush with the base plate. From the underside photo of the nut you can see that they have an excess alloy lip on the inner part of the base plate hole. This suggests some sloppy casting. I am looking at a pair of cast plate Ventures, Thunders, and Aces and none of them have lips from casting. On the right side of the photo you can see how the edge of the base plate relief groove isn't even straight.
    8. Can you take your set of Mids as well as other trucks, set them flat on a table, place a bubble level on the axle and then use a MM rule or calipers to measure kingpin clearance? I have and my Mids have better clearance than Thunders and I wonder how Royal managed to get the best clearance supposedly for this height with standard sized bushings. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all in 1mm or so of one another. I think Slap just likes to parrot Ben Degros because there isn't a single Mid rider that I have met or seen that has significant scratches on their kingpin on the sides. If I measure from the top of the hanger to the side of the dome it actually has the same clearance as my forged hollows.

oh man oh man i’m about to bring out my inner quantum bearing science thread energy if it keeps going like this

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2021, 09:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
oh man oh man i’m about to bring out my inner quantum bearing science thread energy if it keeps going like this

I'm just egging him on now (guess the meme helped). I should stop, just look at the tone of his last post, he wants to be right so badly he's challenging me to a caliper dual over the interwebs - I honestly don't give a shit what he thinks, and it's already taking too much effort..

I will say two things to the above post, yes, crail wood sucked forever but it doesn't anymore...hence giving them the benefit of the doubt...why? Because I like skate shit. The other, yeah, we all know the M-indy IKP clearance is shit if it's within 1mm of forged hollows, hell they had to bolster the hanger just to get it within that 1mm hanger..why did they even bother (I'm serious because I wanted them them to be great)? I'll be back on a few days to a week with detailed impressions.

The worst part, if they do suck, we then have to listen to him saying I told you so from his computer chair throne of vindication and then shaking his fist yelling "I TOLD YOU ROUGH CASTING WAS BAD!"

al_cvbrera

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I'm just egging him on now (guess the meme helped). I should stop, just look at the tone of his last post, he wants to be right so badly he's challenging me to a caliper dual over the interwebs - I honestly don't give a shit what he thinks, and it's already taking too much effort..

I will say two things to the above post, yes, crail wood sucked forever but it doesn't anymore...hence giving them the benefit of the doubt...why? Because I like skate shit. The other, yeah, we all know the M-indy IKP clearance is shit if it's within 1mm of forged hollows, hell they had to bolster the hanger just to get it within that 1mm hanger..why did they even bother (I'm serious because I wanted them them to be great)? I'll be back on a few days to a week with detailed impressions.

The worst part, if they do suck, we then have to listen to him saying I told you so from his computer chair throne of vindication and then shaking his fist yelling "I TOLD YOU ROUGH CASTING WAS BAD!"
hold your horses buddy! i’m not with you. i’m on the other guys side. so you think you’re the certified slap truck alloy/molding/whatever expert because you were an apprentice? well, listen here, you condescending twat. i have you know unlike an apprentice (you), i am a master of all things metal (also not you). so i think its fair to say fuck you because you obviously know less about this subject matter than me.

the royals in those pics honestly looked wonky. wtf was that pivot cup. other than that, i’d be down to give em a shot if i didnt just order some thunders. thats all i’m gonna say about them. fuck you lebowski. royals for life (i have never ridden royals). fuck what you ride (also ur gay)

al_cvbrera

« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2021, 09:27:23 PM »
oh shit Xen that was your reply. oops. sorry i was so fixated in lewbowski’s super mega big brain in comparison to our non apprentice brains :(

al_cvbrera

« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2021, 09:30:48 PM »
GUYS 😳😳😳😳☝️☝️☝️ Lebowski 😵‍💫😵‍💫 knows about forgery and metal casting ⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️ because he did an apprenticeship 😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧

al_cvbrera

« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
Hey Lebowski i hope the new Royal’s are actually really good and monopolize the truck industry just so we can see how you’ll respond. thats a pipe dream but something more realistic would be if the new Royal’s are actually decent and perform somewhat well in key areas. and i’m sure the guys at Royal at the very least improved a little bit. and with that little bit of hypothetical improvement is all the leverage we need to shove it back down your throat. someone please skate these trucks already and leave a review

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2021, 12:00:58 AM »
Hey Lebowski i hope the new Royal’s are actually really good and monopolize the truck industry just so we can see how you’ll respond. thats a pipe dream but something more realistic would be if the new Royal’s are actually decent and perform somewhat well in key areas. and i’m sure the guys at Royal at the very least improved a little bit. and with that little bit of hypothetical improvement is all the leverage we need to shove it back down your throat. someone please skate these trucks already and leave a review

Oath

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2021, 05:20:50 AM »
Not gonna get them (probably), but I'd be interested if anybody measured the wheelbase yet?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2021, 06:35:10 AM »
Not gonna get them (probably), but I'd be interested if anybody measured the wheelbase yet?

Person earlier in the thread had them at +3.125"

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2021, 06:57:33 AM »
Thanks @Xen and @144p for your input. I might be buying these soon thanks to your help. Really happy that they proved to be worth riding.

Considering AF1 aces ended up being somewhat of a dud (compared to the classics) from the opinions here, it would be funny if these were actually good.

I'd try them if they're as inexpensive as their other trucks ($35ish).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »
If someone sends me some Royals I will ride them and likely like some things about them and not others. Such is the way of the madness.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2021, 09:49:03 AM »
they definitely aint no Calibers  ;)I say we take them to the pit and have a day of reckoning
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »
Fuck it. As soon as these are available in Europe im getting a pair and a girl deck for nostalgia sake.

What wheelbase would pair best I wonder ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
Height and angle vs Ace Classic ( 38 specials) & Indy

Pic 1 Royal-> Indy
Pic 2 Indy -> Ace
Pic 3 Royal -> Ace
Pic 4 Royal -> Indy
Pic 5 Royal -> Ace

pic gif

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2021, 07:34:01 PM »
Haters gonna hate. Neg away.

The Royals are definitely in the ACE/Indy/ML/Tensor/Theeve camp with a carvey feel; faster/twitchier than indy (but as smooth) but not as sharp as ACE (but damn close). They feel like theeve to me but a tad less stable when stock/loose. Carvey, but with a bit of twitch, very predictable. What really shines is how smooth they feel when you need to set up, they're not slow or jerky or twitchy, in a way they feel like ACE in that regard, when you are used to them and need to change on a dime so to speak, you have your long arc to get in line, then that little 'check', very responsive. 

Stock/nut flush They skate very loose, ACE loose (I've since tightened a full turn) but not floopy, as the bushing are pretty fucking great, lots of rebound (and my wonky pivot cup, which I rotated to have the divot on the bottom) is fine after multiple sessions. I could wheelbite standing on a carpet with very little effort (183lbs today); skating them I wasn't getting much to any wheelbite (especially on the front). 52mm trucks, 52mm wheels...doing the same shit I always do and I wasn't biting on my flatland. I'm quite surprised as I was honestly setting my expectations to venture level of turning/thunder wheelbite territory (not bashing). Most of my wheelbites were from front slappies gone wrong and shitty fakie f/s big spins (I usually pinch when I land with my front heel). I could also chalk this up to me skating more over the past month than usual.

Like Tensors and ACE, when really loose, you have to sort of balance to get that stability going, so much that you can feel when you hit it (unlike Indy to me). Tightening them up just a bit fixed it without compromising anything. I suspect I'll need to tighten more as the bushings break in further; but a full turn tighter than stock after a day of skating and they're [pretty] sweet.

pop
Thunder-ish. I skated them on both a 14.25" and 14.375" WB, they felt fine on either; I chalk that up to my preference of a mid truck pop, regardless of wheel base. But, they are also light (149s on an 8.375x32x14.375WB" and 8.25x31.875x14.25"WB) in weight and pop feel. Zero adjustment (but then, I've been skating indy, thunder and tensor over the last three weeks, a week each, so I might just be used to variety). They felt best to me (like indy and ace do) on a longer wheelbase, but that's just my stance/preference where I feel the most comfortable.

grind
They do. They don't feel soft (classics) or hard (venture). Faster than Venture, slower than ATG maglites. Close to Indy/Thunder? They're still too new, so for now they grind just fine/as you expect them too, I never felt like the truck was causing shorter or longer grinds just my speed); Sound-wise, they remind me of thunder teams.

Edit: pinch
Better than Indy and Tensor (quicker due to height) on par/close to thunder, I was able to sit fully upright on them no problems (literally my second grind on them)

Transition
Big surprise here, no issues in my thunder pitch zones/pockets. They're pretty predictable and worked when I wanted them too, obviously as a mid, you gotta choose your wheels wisley based on how loose you skate. I don't think they'll replace indy (slow) or ACE (fast) for anyone, just saying...ACE classics own the roundwalls.

This shouldn't be taken as a hype-train post, but I'm fickle and I really couldn't find anything to dislike about them (I always look for something, right?). What's more impressive: I don't feel the need to change anything out, I am leaving them stock...and if you read any of my OCD shit posts, I change everything out...cups, mix/match bushing duros and shapes, shave them down, swap out washers and shit, bitch about wheelbase with this truck or that, but I'm leaving the royals stock as they feel great as is /shrug; Jury is still out on long-term durability obviously and the IKP isn't anything special as Indy and Krux have proven. For all I know I could have liked how the old royals skated but I can't speak to the 'sacred' geometry' as I never rode them.

I think is was @ok or @off  that said something like 'middle of the road everything' and I think that's a somewhat accurate, but not derogatory, statement. They are neither too light or too heavy, too low nor too high, not too loose, not too stable, not too carvey, not too twitchy, they just kind of work (much ML do but the royals are faster feeling). Now, if you are all in on Venture probably give'em a pass. If thunder is your jam but you get wheelbite/don't like the long wb (and I don't know what the royals do: stretch/pull), you might be pleasantly surprised as they kind off feel like what I wanted my thunders and indys to feel like, and by that I mean more like each other ;)

I'd sum them up as a Thindy (which is kind of what a Theeve was/is, poor theeve). How that's possible from crail/royal I don't know but they've got the carvey feel and just a hair of twitch to them as I stated above, like if you toned down the squirrly-ness of ACE but kept it faster than Indy. They're sleepers for sure. Also, they don't click, and have a very minimal squeak that I can only hear when stationary, can't hear them at all when skating (unlike my Tensors, good gods they're loud AF). Don't forget, they've got an 8.75" too.

Pics are from the first two sessions riding them (transition and curbs). I'm going to put some serious curb time on them this weekend. I had more adjustment time to the [one] new 8.3 deck, than I did to brand new [literally a brand that is new to me] trucks. The board I had my indys on I did a straight swap and was good to go except for how fast/loose and turny they were (149 indy ti had broken in bones meds).

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:32:23 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2021, 08:50:08 PM »
Haters gonna hate. Neg away.

The Royals are definitely in the ACE/Indy/ML/Tensor/Theeve camp with a carvey feel; faster/twitchier than indy (but as smooth) but not as sharp as ACE (but damn close). They feel like theeve to me but a tad less stable when stock/loose. Carvey, but with a bit of twitch, very predictable. What really shines is how smooth they feel when you need to set up, they're not slow or jerky or twitchy, in a way they feel like ACE in that regard, when you are used to them and need to change on a dime so to speak, you have your long arc to get in line, then that little 'check', very responsive. 

Stock/nut flush They skate very loose, ACE loose (I've since tightened a full turn) but not floopy, as the bushing are pretty fucking great, lots of rebound (and my wonky pivot cup, which I rotated to have the divot on the bottom) is fine after multiple sessions. I could wheelbite standing on a carpet with very little effort (183lbs today); skating them I wasn't getting much to any wheelbite (especially on the front). 52mm trucks, 52mm wheels...doing the same shit I always do and I wasn't biting on my flatland. I'm quite surprised as I was honestly setting my expectations to venture level of turning/thunder wheelbite territory (not bashing). Most of my wheelbites were from front slappies gone wrong and shitty fakie f/s big spins (I usually pinch when I land with my front heel). I could also chalk this up to me skating more over hte past month than usual.

Like Tensors and ACE, when really loose, you have to sort of balance to get that stability going, so much that you can feel when you hit it (unlike Indy to me). Tightening them up just a bit fixed it without compromising anything. I suspect I'll need to tighten more as the bushings break in further; but a full turn tighter than stock after a day of skating and they're [pretty] sweet.

pop
Thunder-ish. I skated them on both a 14.25" and 14.375" WB, they felt fine on either; I chalk that up to my preference of a mid truck pop, regardless of wheel base. But, they are also light (149s on an 8.375x32x14.375WB" and 8.25x31.875x14.25"WB) in weight and pop feel. Zero adjustment (but then, I've been skating indy, thunder and tensor over the last three weeks, a week each, so I might just be used to variety). They felt best to me (like indy and ace do) on a longer wheelbase, but that's just my stance/preference where I feel the most comfortable.

grind
They do. They don't feel soft (classics) or hard (venture). Faster than Venture, slower than ATG maglites. Close to Indy/Thunder? They're still too new, so for now they grind just fine/as you expect them too, I never felt like the truck was causing shorter or longer grinds just my speed); Sound-wise, they remind me of thunder teams.

Transition
Big surprise here, no issues in my thunder pitch zones/pockets. They're pretty predictable and worked when I wanted them too, obviously as a mid, you gotta choose your wheels wisley based on how loose you skate. I don't think they'll replace indy (slow) or ACE (fast) for anyone, just saying...ACE classics own the roundwalls.

This shouldn't be taken as a hype-train post, but I'm fickle and I really couldn't find anything to dislike about them (I always look for something, right?). What's more impressive: I don't feel the need to change anything out, I am leaving them stock...and if you read any of my OCD shit posts, I change everything out...cups, mix/match bushing duros and shapes, shave them down, swap out washers and shit, bitch about wheelbase with this truck or that, but I'm leaving the royals stock as they feel great as is /shrur; Jury is still out on long-term durability obviously and the IKP isn't anything special as Indy and Krux have proven. For all I know I could have liked how the old royals skated but I can't speak to the 'sacred' geometry' as I never rode them.

I think is was @ok or @off  that said something like 'middle of the road everything' and I think that's a somewhat accurate, but not derogatory, statement. They are neither too light or too heavy, too low nor too high, not too loose, not too stable, not too carvey, not too twitchy, they just kind of work (much ML do but the royals are faster feeling). Now, if you are all in on Venture probably give'em a pass. If thunder is your jam but you get wheelbite/don't like the long wb (and I don't know what the royals do: stretch/pull), you might be pleasantly surprised as they kind off feel like what I wanted my thunders and indys to feel like, and by that I mean more like each other ;)

I'd sum them up as a Thindy (which is kind of what a Theeve was/is, poor theeve). How that's possible from crail/royal I don't know but they've got the carvey feel and just a hair of twitch to them as I stated above, like if you toned down the squirrly-ness of ACE but kept it faster than Indy. They're sleepers for sure. Also, they don't click, and have a very minimal squeak that I can only hear when stationary, can't hear it all all when skating (unlike my Tensors, good gods they're loud AF). Don't forget, they've got an 8.75" too.

Pics are from the first two sessions riding them (transition and curbs). I'm going to put some serious curb time on them this weekend. I had more adjustment time to the [one] new 8.3 deck, than I did to brand new [literally a brand that is new to me] trucks. The board I had my indys on I did a straight swap and was good to go except for how fast/loose and turny they were (149 indy ti had broken in bones meds).

Solid review, and good photos @GumOnMyGrip

Now, if you are all in on Venture probably give'em a pass.
Expand Quote

Damn, the hunt for a low and light 8.25 truck (that isn't ML) continues.
[close]
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »
Thanks for the review Xen! I’ll probably give these a shot next time I’m feeling an impulsive truck purchase