Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69569 times)

I Can't Think

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #480 on: March 01, 2022, 04:44:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Current board got fucked by rain so I figured I'd pull the trigger and get the trucks too when I saw there was a sale on here in Aus. Very excited to see how they ride.
[close]

Loved the Folklore Fibertech Light deck I rode a few years ago, it's the great white buffalo of the decks I've skated.

They're honestly so good, the quality is top tier. I've never been able to break one and they don't cost more than a regular pro board over here. I just got a regular board this time to see how they feel by comparison since I've only skated their fibretech ones and cause it was cheap as for Aus prices

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2022, 01:33:19 AM »

I Can't Think

« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2022, 06:40:48 AM »

Damn, right as I buy the regular ones lol

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #483 on: March 03, 2022, 12:25:16 PM »

Don't worry about it. The weight is perfect in my opinion. I enjoy the extra weight compared to the thunder hollows I skated before.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:43:48 PM by sebbo »

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #484 on: March 03, 2022, 01:16:23 PM »
Just got the reg 149’s and surprised to see the WB on a 14.25 deck was 17.125 (+2.875). Could’ve sworn someone said it was between +3 to +3.125

Either way I’m not bummed on it. Rather take a short WB than a long one anyways

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #485 on: March 03, 2022, 01:32:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't worry about it. The weight is perfect in my opinion. I enjoy the extra weight compared to the thunder hollows I skated before.

I back this. The standard weight feel great. Wouldn’t want them any lighter.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2022, 05:13:46 PM »
Just got the reg 149’s and surprised to see the WB on a 14.25 deck was 17.125 (+2.875). Could’ve sworn someone said it was between +3 to +3.125

We're going to need this info on post #1 on this thread. I got +3.125 on my 144 IKP. Wonder if they messed with the geometry on the Ultralights that just got released.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #487 on: March 04, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We're going to need this info on post #1 on this thread. I got +3.125 on my 144 IKP. Wonder if they messed with the geometry on the Ultralights that just got released.

Hey I'm stupid

So different geo on regular and IKP?

Dam so which ones are getting the glowing reviews 😅

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #488 on: March 04, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hey I'm stupid

I think both IKP and Standard add 3.15" to the wheelbase, I've only ridden the IKP so someone else will need to confirm
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

« Reply #489 on: March 04, 2022, 09:29:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hey I'm stupid

[close]

I think both IKP and Standard add 3.15" to the wheelbase, I've only ridden the IKP so someone else will need to confirm
No, I’m the one that’s stupid. Went to remeasure the WB and can confirm it is +3.15
One side of the truck was measuring shorter than the other and noticed that the trucks weren’t exactly centered (assuming from not fully being broken in). Sorry about the confusion!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #490 on: March 04, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hey I'm stupid

The glowing reviews are from the turning geo, kingpin/IKP is all personal preference; as someone with two pairs if IKP royals (and a set of Indy IKP plates) and having fuxxored with krux pins, etc., I don't think they really bring much, especially in terms of grind clearance...a benefit of a mm or two perhaps?

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #491 on: March 04, 2022, 10:19:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hey I'm stupid

[close]

The glowing reviews are from the turning geo, kingpin/IKP is all personal preference; as someone with two pairs if IKP royals (and a set of Indy IKP plates) and having fuxxored with krux pins, etc., I don't think they really bring much, especially in terms of grind clearance...a benefit of a mm or two perhaps?

Thanks bud

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #492 on: March 04, 2022, 01:24:10 PM »
Fuck yeah just got a pair of 139 Raws off Titus. Can't wait to skate them

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #493 on: March 05, 2022, 10:48:22 AM »
Can confirm that the wheelbase is +3.125 from my measurements and that the inverted kingpin isn't that good,it's actually pretty bad (but it's literally the only thing i have to complain about these trucks) since like the indy mids do (but at least the royals do offer some pretty good kingpin clearance) the kingpin is made with a way harder metal than normal kingpins and when it makes contact on the ledge it does stop you a lot.

Fs_smith_98

« Reply #494 on: March 05, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »
Talking about weight i'm riding the 144 ikp and it's perfect to me, since they weight like standard 148 thunders but have a little less wheelbase so they feel lighter, i think the 144 hollows could be even too light for me. Maybe if one day they'll get the hollows around here i could get the 149 hollows though. About wheelbite i'm riding them super loose with 52mm wheels and it isn't a problem, it's a bit better than thunders for that in my opinion.

« Reply #495 on: March 05, 2022, 05:30:45 PM »
Had my first session in the reg 149's. Coming off of 4 years of Indy, I would say these are closer to Thunders than Indy. The turn is not as sharp and surfy as Indy, but you can lean in more than Thunder. Was able to slappy fine, got a slappy crook that I've been working on for a few days. Flatground is great. I struggle with kickflips and was able to land one first try. I tend to lean into my treflips so had to get used to not being able to do that. But the treflips I did do were pretty solid. They are lighter and lower than Indy so I think that helped a lot. Overall, I'm very pleased with the trucks like many others have said. Good job Craig!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: March 05, 2022, 08:44:12 PM »
Went from Royals to Venture 5.6 Titanium and despite the drop in weight the pop feel was heavier on the Venture. The Royals worked better with a steeper deck. But Venture is still #1 for pinch in my books, was holding onto grinds for longer and popping out with authority. The metal on Royals is softer and like Ben Degros' says Venture have a harder, tinny grind but makes up for it with a superior pinch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

I Can't Think

« Reply #497 on: March 06, 2022, 12:00:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I also realized you can't get hollow and IKP so I'm feeling fine with my choice

I Can't Think

« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2022, 12:03:55 AM »
Can confirm that the wheelbase is +3.125 from my measurements and that the inverted kingpin isn't that good,it's actually pretty bad (but it's literally the only thing i have to complain about these trucks) since like the indy mids do (but at least the royals do offer some pretty good kingpin clearance) the kingpin is made with a way harder metal than normal kingpins and when it makes contact on the ledge it does stop you a lot.

Ah shit, whatever I can easily do a krux swap if the IKP really bothers me. Or just grind it down a bit one day on a rough ledge

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: March 06, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I also realized you can't get hollow and IKP so I'm feeling fine with my choice

As a weight whore, hollow axles won't net you as much as a hollow kingpin (unless you are riding Indy ;)

Skating both the 149 and 144 IKP royals, their weight has never even crossed my mind because they skate so well, it doesn't matter (it helps that they are light as it is).

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2022, 03:54:19 PM »
After a few weeks of skating them, I now get +3.00 on the wb. Before I measured about +3.05. There's no way mine are +3.15.

They feel almost too light, I'm really glad the hollows were not available yet when I wanted them

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »
After a few weeks of skating them, I now get +3.00 on the wb. Before I measured about +3.05. There's no way mine are +3.15.

They feel almost too light, I'm really glad the hollows were not available yet when I wanted them

LOL, when I first got them I swear to god I got +3.00, measuring it multiple times, both sides. The someone mentioned +3.125 and I double checked and that's what I got. Just triple checked and I'm getting the exact same reading for both sides which is somewhere between the two but just a hair closer to +3.00.

palach303

« Reply #502 on: March 09, 2022, 10:17:23 AM »
Found a really good price for these new Royals so inspired by Bens review and positive feedback here I got the 139s. Up until now I used to ride Thunder 145 and these feel just as light, more stable and the bushings feel great. Cant really comment on how they grind or flip because I am a humble beginner skating for about 10 months after a brief skating stint in high school 12 years ago.

However, after my second session with these royals I noticed on my front truck one of the wheels was closer to the center than the other one. In other words the distance from the outer edge of wheel one to the edge of the deck was bigger than on the other wheel. Could that be an axle slip? Or a manufacturing defect? I didnt sweat over it that much, it was only like 3-4mm and I used some washers to even it out, and I doubt it could have any noticeable effect on the performance, but you know how it goes... The madness is real and once you see it, you cannot unsee it. Otherwise I am very satisfied with them.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #503 on: March 09, 2022, 11:43:09 AM »
Take the wheels off and measure the axle length. If it’s off center it should be apparent pretty quickly and will be an obvious warranty issue which Crail should take care of.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #504 on: March 09, 2022, 03:03:07 PM »
I ordered the ikp last night, they haven't been loosening up like lurpiv and aren't heavy like indy mid, right?

Would there be any issues running a krux pin instead?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #505 on: March 09, 2022, 03:30:03 PM »
I've not had any issues so far.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2022, 04:22:28 AM »
I ordered the ikp last night, they haven't been loosening up like lurpiv and aren't heavy like indy mid, right?

The Krux kingpin will not work.  It doesn't have long enough threads to screw in tight.
The royals have a pressed in threaded nut that extends all the way to the road side of the baseplate.
You cannot remove that pressed in nut to install a normal kingpin or normal nut for other inverted setups because the hole is wider for the pressed in one.

Very few complaints from anyone with the ikp though yet….

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2022, 05:06:19 AM »

Did a lot of slappy crooks last week and my front truck got a little loose. I noticed it because it literally wiggeled. I tightened it again. Hope it’s not happening again.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #508 on: March 11, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »
Just got mine. Initial thoughts. Good but too loose. Anyone got any recommendations for harder bushings that work?

Working 6 day weeks. Tomorrow is my only chance to hit up skate shop so if anyone knows I'd be forever grateful
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:46:10 AM by Jonny7.5Alive »

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #509 on: March 11, 2022, 12:54:38 PM »
Just got mine. Initial thoughts. Good but too loose. Anyone got any recommendations for harder bushings that work?

Working 6 day weeks. Tomorrow is my only chance to hit up skate shop so if anyone knows I'd be forever grateful

I put and extra an washer on top on the top washers... Don't judge me! lol It helps a bit.

Skating an Alien deck with them right now....Wow! Two brands I never thought I'd be skating. EVER! Especially together.