Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 68319 times)

El Freegano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 217
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #690 on: June 24, 2022, 05:15:39 AM »
Maybe it's just my deck combo but I'm finding manuals tricky on these? That's my only issue. Anyone else?
I guess it is because the bushings are too soft. You could tighten or change them for harder ones. I do only a couple of basic manuals but i do feel better after i changed the top bushing for an old harder one and tighten the nut tlll one tread showing. I guess i would be even better if a buy some new harder bushings, but still havent decided between the blue indy 92 barrel or the black indy 94 conical. If anyone have tried different bushings than the stock could give some advice.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #691 on: June 24, 2022, 07:17:43 AM »
If you want 144 just wait for me to lose it and move back to home base.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #692 on: June 24, 2022, 10:43:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe it's just my deck combo but I'm finding manuals tricky on these? That's my only issue. Anyone else?
[close]
I guess it is because the bushings are too soft. You could tighten or change them for harder ones. I do only a couple of basic manuals but i do feel better after i changed the top bushing for an old harder one and tighten the nut tlll one tread showing. I guess i would be even better if a buy some new harder bushings, but still havent decided between the blue indy 92 barrel or the black indy 94 conical. If anyone have tried different bushings than the stock could give some advice.

I'm running Bones hards with small Krux/Royal washers top and bottom to try and keep the height of the bushings the same. They fit alright but I can hear them slipping occasionally. I don't really care too much because I just really enjoy the feel of Bones hards in general

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #693 on: June 24, 2022, 10:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I'm running Bones hards with small Krux/Royal washers top and bottom to try and keep the height of the bushings the same. They fit alright but I can hear them slipping occasionally. I don't really care too much because I just really enjoy the feel of Bones hards in general

The Royal bottom bushing is 1 mm taller than Indy bushings (top is same height). I put in Indy aftermarket bushings, but added a bones washer under the bottom cup to maintain the correct geo. Worked well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:22:22 PM by MxsDx »

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #694 on: June 25, 2022, 08:35:29 PM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #695 on: June 26, 2022, 04:55:24 PM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #696 on: June 26, 2022, 05:26:47 PM »

Uninspiring clip if you ask me.
Well, it’s Zach Allen. It’s like Jeff Dechesere doing a griptape ad.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #697 on: June 26, 2022, 09:52:05 PM »
Has anyone measured the kingpin and yoke angle on these? The turn is really interesting to me. It's kinda like a Venture at first but then really arcs in quick. I'm finding wheelbite rather annoying with them even with the rear showing 2 threads (not a tight truck dude either) but I'm mostly curious as to what they did to accomplish this.

The bottom bushing sits way closer to the board than an Indy but visually the kingpin angle looks similar. The baseplate holes and pivot/kingpin also seem to line up. Im thinking they took the Indy kingpin angle, used a Venture style plate construction, and probably a Thunder hanger or at least the yoke angle.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #698 on: June 27, 2022, 05:06:10 PM »
Got a nice sesh on these today and so far so good. They honestly feel like a lighter Indy Mid. The bushings are firming up nicely and I am much more used to the turn. I'd say compared to my normal Indy's the pop feel is lighter, but really easy to figure out and it isn't so light that the board feels like it will leave your feet. That's a feeling I didn't like with Forged Ti in the past. I will eventually compare my Forged Plates with hollow hangers and measure all the geometry of my Indy and Thunders to compare.

I will say that I still feel the raw casting looks cheap. My Thunders are raw and I saw some raw Ventures yesterday and they all look much less pitted and chunky. That's my own choice since I got the Griffin Gass raws. It's honestly not even a big deal tho and if I wanted I could take a buffing wheel to em real quick and smooth em up. I will take them to the slappy spot tomorrow but so far on my normal curb the grind feels like a Venture and they do sound a bit weird when the board hits the ground, but that's not a knock against them because it fundamentally doesn't matter.

So far I would say that I would definitely prefer these over Thunder and Venture and I rode Thunders a lot growing up and have a soft spot for them.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #699 on: June 27, 2022, 06:24:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Got a nice sesh on these today and so far so good. They honestly feel like a lighter Indy Mid. The bushings are firming up nicely and I am much more used to the turn. I'd say compared to my normal Indy's the pop feel is lighter, but really easy to figure out and it isn't so light that the board feels like it will leave your feet. That's a feeling I didn't like with Forged Ti in the past. I will eventually compare my Forged Plates with hollow hangers and measure all the geometry of my Indy and Thunders to compare.

I will say that I still feel the raw casting looks cheap. My Thunders are raw and I saw some raw Ventures yesterday and they all look much less pitted and chunky. That's my own choice since I got the Griffin Gass raws. It's honestly not even a big deal tho and if I wanted I could take a buffing wheel to em real quick and smooth em up. I will take them to the slappy spot tomorrow but so far on my normal curb the grind feels like a Venture and they do sound a bit weird when the board hits the ground, but that's not a knock against them because it fundamentally doesn't matter.

So far I would say that I would definitely prefer these over Thunder and Venture and I rode Thunders a lot growing up and have a soft spot for them.
[close]

Interesting report. If I didn't JUST commit to thunder, I would try these.

I don't see a Thunder tattoo across the chest, come on..........

Such a good "throw these on any deck and ride" truck, anytime the WB is around the 14.25 mark I'm slapping these on.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #700 on: June 27, 2022, 08:02:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting report. If I didn't JUST commit to thunder, I would try these.
[close]

I don't see a Thunder tattoo across the chest, come on..........

Such a good "throw these on any deck and ride" truck, anytime the WB is around the 14.25 mark I'm slapping these on.
[close]

Nah, I’ve got a job so I got the thunder tat on the inside of my lip.

My Venture tattoo is on my taint, reserved viewing for the missus and my doctor.

https://www.tactics.com/royal/trucks/sale
The IKP ones are 20% off on Tactics, 10% extra discount on your first order. Great time to get on the Royal bandwagon.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #701 on: June 28, 2022, 10:38:13 AM »
My early conclusion is still that these trucks are really good. Very surprised, however I do agree with Ben Degros that there are drawbacks:

1. I slide worse on them than other trucks. The baseplate material is hard and feels like it grinds slow. On Thunders it takes me a single slappy to remember how to weight the nose and I still slide on the plates on them.
2. The grind isn't great feeling but it's workable. Definitely like a Venture on concrete, pretty good on metal coping although I never notice differences there really. Crook pinch is good as expected. Kingpin clearance as measured is basically with .5mm of a Thunder, obviously worse than anything taller.
3. Bushings firm up after about an hour or so. Turn is great. I don't remember my Mids super well to compare. If you ride looser these will be looser stock. The bushings are also not mushy in the heat. I would definitely buy these bushings if they sold them aftermarket. No pivot squeak either. I can easily go back and forth from Indy to these and take almost no time to adjust to the turn.
4. Pretty snappy and lighter pop than an Indy but my timing didn't change much. Again, I could skate these and in a few Ollie's and kickflips be doing the same shit. For me personally I prefer the Indy pop it feels a bit crispier and marginally heftier, but after Indy I'd say I prefer this pop feel over other brands.
5. Board does sound a bit tinny with them but I don't care about that.

Personally I'm not sure I have any reason to choose them over Indy. Id have to want a lighter pop feel and be cool with the trade offs, but as of right now I don't feel I need that. I might actually put them on a cruiser setup cuz they would lighten up the bigger board and the turn is pretty rad. Wheelbite isn't an issue either.

I still feel the raws look cheap. Polished look nicer. Hopefully more people get on these and Royal puts out some harder bushings but I think a lot of people would be better served by these than Ventures if they are used to Indy's. I like Thunders a lot as well, but would choose Royals over them these days.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #702 on: June 28, 2022, 03:48:15 PM »

Took this picture to comment on it being a pretty random sponsorship.  Realized someone already posted it.  But I put in the effort to take it so whatever.

Is Zach Allen the only non-Crail rider of Royals?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
« Reply #703 on: June 28, 2022, 04:44:33 PM »
According to that ad, he is on Royal Trucks, not of them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #704 on: June 28, 2022, 05:02:50 PM »
According to that ad, he is on Royal Trucks, not of them.

Good catch.  On*

Unless this is some next level mind games

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: June 29, 2022, 12:48:39 PM »
Swapped in ACE bottoms with low tops for giggles, felt pretty much the same; low top makes for a bunch of threads showing tho, around 3-4. Switched back to stock.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:02:50 PM by Xen »

El Freegano

« Reply #706 on: June 30, 2022, 01:35:06 PM »
Today was super hot and my bushings felt like melting. I guess i have to leave the stock bushings for the colder days,

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #707 on: July 03, 2022, 12:30:43 AM »
Getting next for my Royals. Hockey has served me well but I'm getting the itch.

Yes I know it's blind but I'm intrigued to try R7 deck and the dims look like a sure shot with the Royals?

https://venerobcn.com/shop/skateboards/skateboard-decks/blind-tj-reaper-impersonator-r7-skateboard-deck-8/

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #708 on: July 03, 2022, 02:56:00 AM »

Yes I know it's blind but I'm intrigued to try R7 deck and the dims look like a sure shot with the Royals?

https://venerobcn.com/shop/skateboards/skateboard-decks/blind-tj-reaper-impersonator-r7-skateboard-deck-8/

Length: 31.6875
WB 14.25

Yeah that would work since Royals don't stretch the wheels out too far like Thunder or Venture.

DSM R7 mellow concave are more like a medium mellow and I'm really liking that, feel better control over my flips with a less aggressive shape.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #709 on: July 03, 2022, 03:02:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

WB 14.25

Yeah that would work since Royals don't stretch the wheels out too far like Thunder or Venture.

DSM R7 mellow concave are more like a medium mellow and I'm really liking that, feel better control over my flips with a less aggressive shape.

Oh sweet you riding one now ?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: July 03, 2022, 03:26:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

WB 14.25

[close]

Oh sweet you riding one now ?

Rode a Blind 8.38 R7 last month and currently on a Enjoi 8.25 Impact Light. Unforgiving stiffness but they keep their pop and shape really long.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #711 on: July 03, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »
I felt the Royal's light pop feel made them feel really solid on 14.38 and I'd run them on 14.5. Then again I'd probably run Thunders on the same but hated Venture on 14.38 or steep kicks.

El Freegano

« Reply #712 on: July 03, 2022, 09:52:25 PM »

This is gonna be a great combo. I have also been looking to this model on the titus shop ( it is on sale for 55 euros there) and dont mind that it is blind, it is TJ Rogers after all and he deserves support :) I still go back and forth on the 14 and 14.25 wb decks i have with the royals. I feel them more stable on the 14.25 when riding in the streets and my pop gets better, but the last time i sk8ed on the 14 wb deck i relearned fs heel flip and started doing flip nose slide very often.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #713 on: July 03, 2022, 11:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This is gonna be a great combo. I have also been looking to this model on the titus shop ( it is on sale for 55 euros there) and dont mind that it is blind, it is TJ Rogers after all and he deserves support :) I still go back and forth on the 14 and 14.25 wb decks i have with the royals. I feel them more stable on the 14.25 when riding in the streets and my pop gets better, but the last time i sk8ed on the 14 wb deck i relearned fs heel flip and started doing flip nose slide very often.

Absolutely

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #714 on: July 07, 2022, 03:51:53 PM »
Got my 159 inverteds today. Nice looking truck not As raw looking as Lebowski had us believe with the “craters”.

Usually skate that standard bbs 8.5 you can find with frog or alltimers, fullish nose and a bit of a tapered tail, 32 or a tad longer and 14.5 wb paired with Indy 159 forged (?) hollows. But my next board up is a limo 8.5 with 14.38 wb a little more mellow concave and pretty pointy on both ends.

Wanted a lower truck because I’ve been getting some ghost pop on my indys. Got the inverted because I’ve always wanted some and this will always be a novelty truck for me, can’t see myself straying from Indy too long.

I didn’t touch the kingpin before skating and Haven’t grinded anything yet, board felt lighter, pop was easy to figure out got some quick manuals pretty easily. Turn was carvey but not exactly surfy, kind of twitchy at a certain speed when I was going downhill, will be interesting when I pump transition. Overall felt great, nothing made me question the quality. But yeah will report back after a park session

Let’s see if I can get these pics to post

LebowskisRug

« Reply #715 on: July 07, 2022, 04:33:08 PM »
Curious about the Limo is it a true 8.5?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #716 on: July 07, 2022, 06:10:57 PM »
Curious about the Limo is it a true 8.5?

I’d say yeah, it’s not like that anti hero 8.5 that feels small. This is a team board maybe the pro boards are different. Maybe it’s similar to a baker shape?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #717 on: July 13, 2022, 05:47:08 PM »
Out of curiosity I compared kingpin clearance on a few trucks I have sitting around. Put a level on the hanger and measure distance to the kingpin.

Royal: 7/64"
Thunder: 9/64"
Indy Mid: 11/64"
Indy Standard: 15/64"

So those claiming the clearance is good and Indy Mids aren't are incorrect- it is 1/16" worse, possibly a tad more. Granted this is just a linear measurement and doesn't take into account grinding at an angle like a smith.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #718 on: July 13, 2022, 06:30:15 PM »
Out of curiosity I compared kingpin clearance on a few trucks I have sitting around. Put a level on the hanger and measure distance to the kingpin.

So those claiming the clearance is good and Indy Mids aren't are incorrect- it is 1/16" worse, possibly a tad more. Granted this is just a linear measurement and doesn't take into account grinding at an angle like a smith.

Royal inverted kingpins or standard? Does the IKP really matter for y'all? I can't hold smith grinds for very long, so I can't really tell the difference right now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: July 13, 2022, 08:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Royal inverted kingpins or standard? Does the IKP really matter for y'all? I can't hold smith grinds for very long, so I can't really tell the difference right now.

It's heavier than standard and doesn't net much clearance if at all. Gets loose for some (not for me yet) and the metal used apparently doesn't grind as well as a regs pin.

Just get standards or ultra lights (hollows).