Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69556 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #720 on: July 13, 2022, 08:18:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Out of curiosity I compared kingpin clearance on a few trucks I have sitting around. Put a level on the hanger and measure distance to the kingpin.

Royal: 7/64"
Thunder: 9/64"
Indy Mid: 11/64"
Indy Standard: 15/64"

So those claiming the clearance is good and Indy Mids aren't are incorrect- it is 1/16" worse, possibly a tad more. Granted this is just a linear measurement and doesn't take into account grinding at an angle like a smith.
[close]

Royal inverted kingpins or standard? Does the IKP really matter for y'all? I can't hold smith grinds for very long, so I can't really tell the difference right now.

Royal Standard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #721 on: July 13, 2022, 08:47:23 PM »
I've wondered about how kingpins grind lately cuz of the IKP convo. Normally the nut is what makes contact first, which is really soft. Do cast standard kingpins grind more or less hard than the hollow kingpins? It's probably marginally.

I also wonder why these IKP are domed and not just flat like the Lurpiv one was?

IpathCats

« Reply #722 on: July 14, 2022, 10:15:02 AM »
I've wondered about how kingpins grind lately cuz of the IKP convo. Normally the nut is what makes contact first, which is really soft. Do cast standard kingpins grind more or less hard than the hollow kingpins? It's probably marginally.

I also wonder why these IKP are domed and not just flat like the Lurpiv one was?

Because more than 10 seconds of R&D went into these new royals

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #723 on: July 14, 2022, 10:31:14 AM »

Royal has the same style pin as krux/indy, so the supply chain [all made in china] is there. Lurpiv's pin is sourced and assembled in sweden.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 10:44:01 AM by Xen »

IpathCats

« Reply #724 on: July 14, 2022, 10:46:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Royal has the same style pin as krux/indy, so the supply chain [all made in china] is there. Lurpiv's pin is sourced and assembled in sweden.

Arguably a better design than Lurpiv though right?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #725 on: July 14, 2022, 11:23:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The Lurpiv issue wasn't because they used a button head bolt. It was the shoulder in the bolt that stepped down to 5/16ths instead of 3/8ths which caused the Lurpiv self-loosening issue. So these should be reasonably solid. Inverted pins are more prone to reaming out the kingpin hole and coming undone though. Best to use threadlocker.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

IpathCats

« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2022, 12:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Lurpiv issue wasn't because they used a button head bolt. It was the shoulder in the bolt that stepped down to 5/16ths instead of 3/8ths which caused the Lurpiv self-loosening issue. So these should be reasonably solid. Inverted pins are more prone to reaming out the kingpin hole and coming undone though. Best to use threadlocker.  :)

That was def the main issue. However, i felt like my IKP would catch pretty hard sometimes on the lurps becuase of the thick sharp edges. The lack of a center allen socket to adjust seems like a worse design to me as well. Especially if you manage to round off that IKP, which wasnt a standard size of any of the "skate tool" sockets to begin with, which some would say is another flaw, but thats debatable.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2022, 02:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

From a functional POV? I'd say yes as they have hex and allen, lurpiv just hex. Luprive appears to be lower as well?

schralp pal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #728 on: July 15, 2022, 11:23:22 AM »
Have not made it to the park yet, but had some fun on a ledge that is a tall red curb. Got tossed from wheelbite on my 55 f4 classics though, but i dont want to ride a smaller wheel, so i waxed the bite marks and seems okay. buttery grind and really enjoying these squishy bushings and light pop. skated some pretty rough asphalt but the IKP doesn't seem loose yet. Might be in my head, but seems the axel does not allow the wheel to spin as fast as an Indy axel? Like there is a bit more friction?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #729 on: July 15, 2022, 06:18:54 PM »
The axle has no effect on spin what so ever. The inner part of a bearing doesn't move much, the rest of the bearing spin.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2022, 06:29:10 PM »
Curious on how long term users found the grind. Seems to be the main complaint but maybe they just need more time to break in.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2022, 11:50:03 PM »
Curious on how long term users found the grind. Seems to be the main complaint but maybe they just need more time to break in.

Zero complaints about them, a little softer than a Venture.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #732 on: July 16, 2022, 07:49:39 AM »
The axle has no effect on spin what so ever. The inner part of a bearing doesn't move much, the rest of the bearing spin.

Damn I need to take a physics class or something

LebowskisRug

« Reply #733 on: July 16, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Strange. Everyone I know in real life, Ben D, and a few others in this thread (including me) found the grind as hard a Venture and just not great, but we didn't ride them as long. It's why I gave up on them actually.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #734 on: July 17, 2022, 06:25:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Strange. Everyone I know in real life, Ben D, and a few others in this thread (including me) found the grind as hard a Venture and just not great, but we didn't ride them as long. It's why I gave up on them actually.

Same here. I skated a crusty ledge and kept sticking and out thunders back on. I’ll def revisit royals if I get a longer WB deck.  I didn’t give them a fair shot

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #735 on: July 17, 2022, 06:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't get how that could make you give up on these trucks (In case you like everything else about them). They're not harder than AF1 or ventures, which are just fine once you get used to it. The grind on concrete is amazing. I'm not currently riding the royals (AF1 lows), but I'm really happy I bought 2 sets when they came out. Really solid trucks that I'm gonna ride with long wb and/or short tail decks in the future.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #736 on: July 17, 2022, 07:12:10 AM »
I don't prefer the Venture grind and didn't spend much time on AF1, but they felt like a lighter pop Indy Mid to me and the Indy grind is better. I didn't need anything they provided really. I posted up thread that I think they're really good trucks but let's be honest if you prefer Indy's as I seem to then comparing trucks to them is a tough competition since they're a good all arounder. I'm thinking about trying them on a bigger deck.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #737 on: July 17, 2022, 12:07:09 PM »

Not sure if I'm consider myself "long term", but I skated them for about a month (during which time I was unemployed and skating a lot) and honestly I thought the grind was terrible. The trucks turn beautifully, great pop and flick - all of that they nailed. But hitting anything other than skatepark angle-iron ledges on these I found to be awful and I get bucked immediately several times. If I let them really grind down, maybe this wouldn't have been a problem, but the issue was that it seemed like it was going to take a really long time to get a decent grinding surface on them since the act of grinding hard concrete was so difficult.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #738 on: July 18, 2022, 02:58:34 AM »
I'm not experiencing this grinding issue at all. They grind perfect

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #739 on: July 18, 2022, 03:17:21 AM »
I have been mostly on ventures before and can not talk about the comparison with the other brands like indy and thunder, but for me the grind is ok. Super buttery on metal and smooth ledges, definitely not so good on rougher surfaces, but still menagable. My complain is more to the baseplate slide on rougher ledges, i just get cought on the ledge so i have to change the way i slide (to use only the nose or the tail and not pushing the baseplate so much to the ledge). On metal and smooth ledges the slides are super.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #740 on: July 18, 2022, 09:44:27 AM »
I found they took a bit to break in, just like a Venture or AF1.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #741 on: July 21, 2022, 04:13:33 AM »
My early conclusion is still that these trucks are really good. Very surprised, however I do agree with Ben Degros that there are drawbacks:

1. I slide worse on them than other trucks. The baseplate material is hard and feels like it grinds slow. On Thunders it takes me a single slappy to remember how to weight the nose and I still slide on the plates on them.
2. The grind isn't great feeling but it's workable. Definitely like a Venture on concrete, pretty good on metal coping although I never notice differences there really. Crook pinch is good as expected. Kingpin clearance as measured is basically with .5mm of a Thunder, obviously worse than anything taller.
3. Bushings firm up after about an hour or so. Turn is great. I don't remember my Mids super well to compare. If you ride looser these will be looser stock. The bushings are also not mushy in the heat. I would definitely buy these bushings if they sold them aftermarket.No pivot squeak either. I can easily go back and forth from Indy to these and take almost no time to adjust to the turn.
4. Pretty snappy and lighter pop than an Indy but my timing didn't change much. Again, I could skate these and in a few Ollie's and kickflips be doing the same shit. For me personally I prefer the Indy pop it feels a bit crispier and marginally heftier, but after Indy I'd say I prefer this pop feel over other brands.
5. Board does sound a bit tinny with them but I don't care about that.

Personally I'm not sure I have any reason to choose them over Indy. Id have to want a lighter pop feel and be cool with the trade offs, but as of right now I don't feel I need that. I might actually put them on a cruiser setup cuz they would lighten up the bigger board and the turn is pretty rad. Wheelbite isn't an issue either.

I still feel the raws look cheap. Polished look nicer. Hopefully more people get on these and Royal puts out some harder bushings but I think a lot of people would be better served by these than Ventures if they are used to Indy's. I like Thunders a lot as well, but would choose Royals over them these days.

So did you like the bushings or not? Really confused by all your rambling on Royals.

They grind fine.

In fact, they're pretty much the perfect truck imo.

The baseplate holds up. By that I mean it sticks out enough that it'll slide on the baseplate. For me they've gotten to a point where the baseplates are not really wearing down and don't seem to be wearing through to the pivot cup. Wearing out a baseplate through to the pivot cup happens so fast on Ventures and Ace for me.

I haven't hit axle yet and everything else is working just fine. I'm really glad I gave them a try.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:50:50 AM by larry leadfoot »
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #742 on: July 21, 2022, 09:15:59 AM »
I think it's fairly clear. I think the bushings are too soft. I ride Indy's 1 turn tighter than stock and lots of people consider my board loose. The grind is on par with Venture which for me is below Thunder/Indy/Ace. I thought the baseplate was the worst part actually. It touched the ledge unlike Thunder, but the harsher metal and the logo seemed to catch on chunks.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: July 21, 2022, 09:41:47 AM »
Yeah, my baseplate is wearing faster than anything which is weird.

Still absolutely love the pop and turn, and I like the bushings because they are squishy like the white indy soft ones kinda.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #744 on: July 21, 2022, 10:52:45 AM »
Ya I gave a long list because I wanted to provide as much info as possible for someone else to decide. It's splitting hairs and they're among the big 4 for sure.

Personally I don't like the squish. I would rather have a Thunder turn honestly but that's just my own turn arc preferences. They're like a less stable/more carvy Venture.

CrustyCurbs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #745 on: July 24, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »
Any recommendations for aftermarket bushings?
Brought a pair of 144s after lurking on this thread, liking them a lot except for the fact that I find the bushings too soft.
Looked at putting the stock bushings from my last pair of indys in but they're clearly not the same dimensions so imagine that's not ideal.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #746 on: July 24, 2022, 06:33:44 PM »
Any recommendations for aftermarket bushings?
Brought a pair of 144s after lurking on this thread, liking them a lot except for the fact that I find the bushings too soft.
Looked at putting the stock bushings from my last pair of indys in but they're clearly not the same dimensions so imagine that's not ideal.

I don't recommend bones as they ruined the turn for me. I tried ACE regular bottoms with a low ace top and they felt like stock, only with a lot of kingpin thread showing (bottoms are shorter than royal stocks).

The royal tops are regular size so anything will work...the bottoms are taller than Indy stocks by just a bit. Safe bet would be the new Pigs, Krux or DLX Bait & Tackle.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #747 on: July 24, 2022, 09:25:46 PM »
Krux bottom is taller than indy bottom.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #748 on: July 25, 2022, 12:20:28 AM »
I remember that Xen and other people have mentioned that the indy conical bushings have a bit taller bottom bushing than their barrell bushings. A friend told me he replaced the stock royals with  blue indy conical and it felt better but still needs a bit more stability, so i guess the black 94 conical would be great for the summer and  for the winter the royals stock bushings will be super. I was thinking to get the black indy concials but now i bought 2nd hand thunders 147 and currently enjoying them.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #749 on: July 25, 2022, 07:43:08 AM »
I just put some ACE hard bushings in them.
First I cut the top bushing to the sice of the og ones.
But they basically still felt to loose.
So I bought a second set of the ACE hards and just put them in like they are. Top is taler then the royals. Now, the nut is flush and after a few sessions in the heat they feel pretty nice. Still good turn and more rebound.
And surprisingly not to thight or anything.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.