Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69620 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #870 on: June 04, 2023, 08:09:33 PM »
The grind was on par with Venture with worse baseplate slide at first until the crown indentation wore away. So, it's fine enough as tons of people have no issues with ventures

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #871 on: June 04, 2023, 08:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote

Set up a set of the 149 ultra lights on my twin tail. Expectations weren’t high but they’re actually pretty nice and the grind is fantastic. Nut is about flush and they feel stable but the turn gets deep pretty quick. Kept the session mellow, was mostly trying to break in the bushings so I was mostly just doing slappies and kickflips in a parking lot.

Again, can’t say enough good things about the grind. Compared to the Ace AF1s on my main set up, it’s like night and day.
[close]

That’s crazy because I couldn’t stand the grind on my Royals - I kept getting thrown off a buttery curb. Moved to the AF-1s I’m still riding now and there was an immediate improvement.

Super weird. I’m wondering if these are similar to the ace classic grind, what people describe as “soft” or “buttery” or “slow”. I haven’t ridden classics but this is what I imagine they’re describing. For me, it’s sort of a slower smooth grind that I have a lot of control over, whereas with the AF1s the trucks feel super hard and stop if there’s a crack or chunk on anything.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #872 on: June 05, 2023, 07:13:24 AM »
What you're describing with being hard is exactly how Venture and Royal grind. At my local curb spot a few dudes have switched to Venture and I've ridden Venture there before and we all notice on the chunky curb. If you aren't hauling ass and it's not caked in wax they grind for a few feet then completely stop on a chunk. Anything else and the rate of slow down is much lower.

I just compensate by popping out earlier and focusing on the benefits I get otherwise in the setup.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #873 on: June 05, 2023, 08:26:56 AM »
The grind was on par with Venture with worse baseplate slide at first until the crown indentation wore away. So, it's fine enough as tons of people have no issues with ventures

Yes, this was exactly my experience skating Ventures, as well.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #874 on: June 05, 2023, 02:33:02 PM »
Wouldn’t ventures grind the same as thunders?  Legit asking. I can feel my madness brewing

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #875 on: June 05, 2023, 05:00:12 PM »
Wouldn’t ventures grind the same as thunders?  Legit asking. I can feel my madness brewing

Thunders grind softer and faster especially on chunky ledges, even moreso for Ace
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Filthyphil222

• Rep: 7
« Reply #876 on: June 22, 2023, 02:19:01 PM »
Been skating these for about a month with my stock indy bushings . I had to cut the extra threads . They feel nice , stable and a bit lower .. the grind is sweet too

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #877 on: June 22, 2023, 04:22:21 PM »
Been skating these for about a month with my stock indy bushings . I had to cut the extra threads . They feel nice , stable and a bit lower .. the grind is sweet too

What did you use to cut the threads?

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #878 on: June 23, 2023, 01:43:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know the exact english name for this machine but it looks something like this

I removed the hangers and placed the nut with 2 threads showing then grinded the kingpins on the stone till the nut

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #879 on: June 23, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I don't know the exact english name for this machine but it looks something like this

I removed the hangers and placed the nut with 2 threads showing then grinded the kingpins on the stone till the nut

Thanks. I wonder what the odds are of someone I know in NYC having one of these lol.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #880 on: June 23, 2023, 02:22:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks. I wonder what the odds are of someone I know in NYC having one of these lol.

Any kind of shop (machine, automotive, bicycle, whatever) or any "maker" space will absolutely have one.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

El Freegano

« Reply #881 on: June 24, 2023, 12:17:33 AM »
You could also use an angle grinder. I have seen Reynolds on an IG story to cut his kingpin this way.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #882 on: July 01, 2023, 11:44:31 AM »
159 Ultras with Bones hards (top and bottom bones washer; no threads showing(!)) Bones x99s/swiss 6

They feel very good setup; they stull turn enough thanks to them not being cranked down, they're just about 'snug' with just a hint of play); Skating Ventures spoiled me for tight trucks somehow...

Slapped these on a slick for a specific spot (trucks/wheel wide enough to sit on a double-sided). They're surprisingly light.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 11:45:06 PM by Xen »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 826
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #883 on: July 01, 2023, 12:04:34 PM »
Got a set of the Griffin Gass models on the way. Exited to try them out.
I’ve been on ventures for the last little bit but against my better judgment I loosens them from factory settings now I can’t get them feeling right so I’m over it.
On to new beginnings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #884 on: July 01, 2023, 06:29:33 PM »
I had the opposite experience. Liked em, but went to Ventures next and couldn't see myself wanting them again until they make or come with firmer bushings since I just wanna use something designed for the trucks.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 826
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #885 on: July 01, 2023, 07:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been on ventures for the last little bit but against my better judgment I loosens them from factory settings now I can’t get them feeling right so I’m over it.
On to new beginnings.
[close]

I went from Venture to Royal. They're great, haven't gone back.

The balance of turn & stability is exceptional. Like all trucks, you'll need a day or two for the bushings. They feel super soft at first where the trucks may feel too loose, but then it's all up hill from there.
Good to know! Thank you! I do enjoy loose trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #886 on: July 02, 2023, 10:59:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
On to new beginnings.
[close]

I went from Venture to Royal. They're great, haven't gone back.

The balance of turn & stability is exceptional. Like all trucks, you'll need a day or two for the bushings. They feel super soft at first where the trucks may feel too loose, but then it's all up hill from there.
[close]
Good to know! Thank you! I do enjoy loose trucks.

They don't get enough love. It's a Venture/Thunder (stable) style truck that turns (quick) without wheelbite so you get the best of both. Every time I switch I always end up going back.

Queue the same old 'they didn't work for me' folks...

Thunder give me wheelbite (harder duro bushings and small wheels fix that but I lose the turn I want out of them)
Venture, I want a bit more turn rather than the lean (but that's turn feel preference)
Indy, I want a faster turn (and lighter truck)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 12:22:55 PM by Xen »

Oldsmobile

• Rep: 1
« Reply #887 on: July 03, 2023, 05:53:09 AM »
On my Royals i put bones washer under the stock washer and bushing. I also do an aluminium 1/16 riser, that's kind of 1.6mm rise. So the trucks are now 53.6 high and for me everything is now spot on, the turn, pop and wheel bite solver.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: July 05, 2023, 06:40:23 PM »
159 Ultras with Bones hards (top and bottom bones washer; no threads showing(!)) Bones x99s/swiss 6

They feel very good setup; they stull turn enough thanks to them not being cranked down, they're just about 'snug' with just a hint of play); Skating Ventures spoiled me for tight trucks somehow...

Slapped these on a slick for a specific spot (trucks/wheel wide enough to sit on a double-sided). They're surprisingly light.

I swapped out the bones hard bottom for an ACE hard bottom (barrel); with the conical bottom they got a bit tippy/slightly less stable/smooth (and the ACE bottoms are slightly taller).

vxbrandon

• Rep: -6
« Reply #889 on: July 19, 2023, 04:09:35 AM »
Does anybody feel a difference between IKP Royals and Standards?
I like my trucks tight and snappy. I couldn't keep my trucks tight enough with Mindys.
Just wanted to how y'all compare them, I found both for a cool 40.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 04:26:20 AM by Scar33 »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #890 on: July 19, 2023, 06:17:24 AM »
I like my trucks tight and snappy. I couldn't keep my trucks tight enough with Mindys.
Only difference I found is that the standard kingpin makes you stick less than the ikp if you dip your smiths really low. I'm 100% over ikps

vxbrandon

• Rep: -6
« Reply #891 on: July 19, 2023, 08:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Only difference I found is that the standard kingpin makes you stick less than the ikp if you dip your smiths really low. I'm 100% over ikps
Hmm thanks, ironically that's the biggest complain I hear about ikps in general.

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -330
« Reply #892 on: July 19, 2023, 09:37:55 AM »
I was given a pair of GG signature royals in February and have been reluctant to change from my Indy's. I haven't ridden any other brand for like 10+ years strictly out of habit and to support for my homies that ride for Indy.

About 6 months ago,  I switched my back truck with my front truck, just to create new grooves and avoid setting up these Royals. (This worked surprisingly well, I got another 3-4 months out of this pair, made them feel somewhat new.)

After reading this thread, I'm now excited to set up my Royals and see how they compare after all these positive reviews!

ulpsb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #893 on: July 19, 2023, 12:27:55 PM »

I'm not bullshitting when I say these trucks cured my bullshit madness. Venture lows and hi's, thunder lights, indy mid forged, stage4s..all of these trucks listed were good, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Like what wheelbase and type of kicks go with what blah blah....

These royal trucks have gone good with pretty much everything. I feel like it's a great standard mid truck. Height medium, turn good, stability great, bushings and pivot cups pretty good, never squeaked. All the other trucks I've had to put oil or wax in the pivots and or use other bushings... curbs, park, street. Does all good... no baseplate fuckery like thunders but pinch like em.
 It's like a thunderized indy that venture raised.

My only gripe. Kingpin clearance but that's an issue that can get passed it with time and skating... I'm staying with these.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #894 on: July 20, 2023, 06:50:16 AM »

I'm not bullshitting when I say these trucks cured my bullshit madness. Venture lows and hi's, thunder lights, indy mid forged, stage4s..all of these trucks listed were good, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Like what wheelbase and type of kicks go with what blah blah....

These royal trucks have gone good with pretty much everything. I feel like it's a great standard mid truck. Height medium, turn good, stability great, bushings and pivot cups pretty good, never squeaked. All the other trucks I've had to put oil or wax in the pivots and or use other bushings... curbs, park, street. Does all good... no baseplate fuckery like thunders but pinch like em.
 It's like a thunderized indy that venture raised.

My only gripe. Kingpin clearance but that's an issue that can get passed it with time and skating... I'm staying with these.

i really like venture lo’s, but don’t like being married to a 50 mm wheel. same problem (can use a slightly larger wheel, but still), with thunder 147s.

the best skating i’ve done, on a single day, happened long long ago on the previous version of royals. these are taller, i’m curious, but also, i’ve got more parts than i have time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #895 on: July 20, 2023, 09:55:32 AM »
They're great trucks, you'd probably like them. For me personally the grind was subpar, like Venture, but I would prefer the Venture stability and pop. I prefer Thunder and Indy Ti, marginally, to Venture, so that's my personal pecking order, but they're all options I'd be stoked to ride. I'd gladly try Royals again in the future, but I own too many other trucks.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #896 on: July 22, 2023, 02:40:39 AM »
I thought  this could be interesting for some.
On the left, the Royals 144 Ultra Lights, on the right, Venture V-Hollows 5.6.
I snapped the first board on the nose but it's still good as a backup. So i put the Royals on and was kinda surprised how much the wheelbase is shorter..
Deck Wb is 14".

You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

El Freegano

« Reply #897 on: July 22, 2023, 03:15:35 AM »
I have been stuck on thunders (147 on g045 14 wb) for some time but this week i tried the board a friend (royal 144 on polar 8.25 14.25 wb) and i hated that my kick flip went easier on his board than mine, even considering his deck is quite big for my liking. Royal has the super easy pop for me and i ride thunders now, coz i have been learning some new grinds and  they pinch and grind easier, but for the flip game... royals are if not better, than at least the same league with thunders and on top of that, they have way less wheelbite. I might go back to royals soon.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #898 on: July 29, 2023, 02:05:10 PM »
got a set of ultralights, they feel way taller than 148 thunders but i think its because i put fresh 54's on and have worn down ones on the thunder kit.
good turning and stability, trying to leave stock and let the bushing break in. grind is hard but fast kind of?
anyone find the bushings softened up or firmed up?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #899 on: July 29, 2023, 05:46:08 PM »
got a set of ultralights, they feel way taller than 148 thunders but i think its because i put fresh 54's on and have worn down ones on the thunder kit.
good turning and stability, trying to leave stock and let the bushing break in. grind is hard but fast kind of?
anyone find the bushings softened up or firmed up?

The bushings don't firm up in my experience (not enough to notice anyway); I ride ACE hard bottoms/Bones hard top in mine now.