Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69507 times)

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #900 on: July 30, 2023, 05:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote
got a set of ultralights, they feel way taller than 148 thunders but i think its because i put fresh 54's on and have worn down ones on the thunder kit.
good turning and stability, trying to leave stock and let the bushing break in. grind is hard but fast kind of?
anyone find the bushings softened up or firmed up?
[close]

The bushings don't firm up in my experience (not enough to notice anyway); I ride ACE hard bottoms/Bones hard top in mine now.

I’m gonna bite the bullet and get a pair, I have ace hard low bushings in my lows right now, and I have a feeling these will be too soft for my liking, do I need to get the hard ace standard height to fit the royals?  I don’t really mess with bones bushings, but I’m definitely gonna need a firmer set of bushings
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #901 on: July 30, 2023, 07:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
got a set of ultralights, they feel way taller than 148 thunders but i think its because i put fresh 54's on and have worn down ones on the thunder kit.
good turning and stability, trying to leave stock and let the bushing break in. grind is hard but fast kind of?
[close]

The bushings don't firm up in my experience (not enough to notice anyway); I ride ACE hard bottoms/Bones hard top in mine now.
[close]

I’m gonna bite the bullet and get a pair, I have ace hard low bushings in my lows right now, and I have a feeling these will be too soft for my liking, do I need to get the hard ace standard height to fit the royals?  I don’t really mess with bones bushings, but I’m definitely gonna need a firmer set of bushings

Yes, you will need the hard ACE standards (bottoms at the least). Note the top ace bushing is taller than the stock royal BUT since it's taller it eats up kingpin threads so fewer are visible.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 08:26:59 PM by Xen »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #902 on: July 31, 2023, 06:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, you will need the hard ACE standards (bottoms at the least). Note the top ace bushing is taller than the stock royal BUT since it's taller it eats up kingpin threads so fewer are visible.

Appreciate it Xen
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #903 on: July 31, 2023, 02:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Appreciate it Xen

That's *if* you want to get the geo as close to stock - if you don't care, use whatever =D I rode indy 92a (blues) and they're shorter, but they worked.

ASS FAULT

• Rep: -32
« Reply #904 on: August 01, 2023, 02:00:03 AM »
always hated the name.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #905 on: September 23, 2023, 03:27:44 PM »
so Whats everybody's Opinion now that theyve been out for Awhile? Those Vincent AIverez Pro models look enticing

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -446
« Reply #906 on: September 23, 2023, 03:46:57 PM »
so Whats everybody's Opinion now that theyve been out for Awhile? Those Vincent AIverez Pro models look enticing
they're literally the best trucks on the market and are not talked about enough. bushings are great. Their biggest strength is their pivot cups, they are easily S tier and put indy and ace to shame in that department, you will never need riptides or any sort of bullshit magic trick. Grind, turn, and pinch are all good. No axle slip. Ive been riding the ikp model so can't speak on the kingpin sticking out on the standards. if they keep making them this way I will never ride another truck, so yes, they are excellent and you should support them by buying more so that I, too, can keep buying great trucks.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #907 on: September 23, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »

I rode them for a bit, they were pretty good. Jack of all trades, master of none. Grind was good. I’d ride them again, they’re worth a shot if you aren’t married to a brand.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #908 on: September 23, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »
These trucks are amazing if you like riding loose. I don't love these when they're tight, the turn decreases by a lot, but they still feel quite loose. Granted I didnt try harder bushings, that might feel better if you ride tighter.

I have a pair on my cruiser, but I want to get another 8" raws once I move on from Venture lows. They're really stable like Ventures, but the turn is something else. They grind close to Ventures too, except, yeah they're pretty silent. No squeaky noises coming out of these compared to Thunder or Venture.

I didn't like how light the hollows felt though, so I'll be sticking with standard. They're pretty light already even in 144.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #909 on: September 23, 2023, 05:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode them for a bit, they were pretty good. Jack of all trades, master of none. Grind was good. I’d ride them again, they’re worth a shot if you aren’t married to a brand.

I'd say the grind is not great but on par with Venture. My baseplates caught a bit at first. Really good truck otherwise if you want a Thunder/Venture hybrid that has a really deep, loose turn stock. I didn't stick with them because I had to crank the stock bushings and just preferred my Thunders at the time but would gladly skate again.

I'd skate them before I'd skate Ace or Indy.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #910 on: September 23, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd say the grind is not great but on par with Venture. My baseplates caught a bit at first. Really good truck otherwise if you want a Thunder/Venture hybrid that has a really deep, loose turn stock. I didn't stick with them because I had to crank the stock bushings and just preferred my Thunders at the time but would gladly skate again.

I'd skate them before I'd skate Ace or Indy.

i’m a weirdo that actually liked the last version of royals.
these are a little taller, and i’ll probably like them less, but i prefer the thunder venture side of things.
was hoping these would give me access to skating a larger wheel than 147s, or my 5.2 lo’s.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #911 on: September 23, 2023, 07:06:24 PM »

They're quality trucks, happy to recommend them to a beginner that needs something light and nimble without being too floppy. Like others have said they combine the best features of the big 3 without exceling in any one area - worth a shot if you're in the market to try something slightly different. To my knowledge they are the only brand that did IKP right by having threads on the baseplate to prevent the kingpin from wobbling and loosening with time. Biggest downside is their stock bushings get way too soft after being broken in.

If I was going for a holiday and wanted to pick up a deck from a local shop without knowing what decks they stocked, I'd bring the Royals because they can be ridden on any deck length and WB without me losing my mind to madness.

Also I'd stick to their standard truck, they weigh slightly more than Thunder which is a nice weight to be in. Thunder - 357g, Royal 144 - 365g
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #912 on: September 23, 2023, 08:30:20 PM »
^^ Royal has the same IKP shaft nut system indy uses.

Still riding an grinding just fine. Can’t skate anything else these days as all the rest have a singular drawback for me that these don’t (weight, wheelbite, less turn, etc.).

If the Stocks don’t work for you, or you’re on the heavier side, swap out the stock bushings for something harder like ACE dual duro or hards and you’re good to go. Hard ace bottom, flat, sleeved washer, Bones, hard top with a Bones washer on top is what I run (and it keeps threads from showing).

They’re not for everyone, but they work great for me. What I really love about them is that they don’t fuck with my OCD ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:44:03 PM by Xen »

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #913 on: September 24, 2023, 05:45:57 AM »
Yeah I’ve been on the IKP version for about a year now and I’m not thinking of changing anytime soon.
They are great all round. Don’t have to worry about the wheelbase of my deck. Just get whatever. I like that they have reduced my truck madness.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #914 on: September 24, 2023, 07:48:06 AM »
Also still on my second pair. First the IKP, now raw with ace bushings. Nothing really bothers me with this ones.
Most definitely will be sticking with them.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #915 on: September 24, 2023, 07:56:58 AM »
I'm back on my Royals after a short affair with Ventures 5.6 V-hollows and I have to say these trucks are top notch.
Like a lot of people said, I found that the stock bushings are a little to soft for me.
I put the Ace hards in (top and bottom) and now they are basically perfect for my liking. They do everything I want them to do. Nut is flush. After a lill break in time, they turn like my indy forged, wheelbite is manageable,
grind is fine in my book. They kinda grind like the ventures I had before, pinch is nice, not as good as the ventures but still better than my Indy's.
Overall I would say they are my favorite trucks now. I skated all the big brands besides Ace. They all skate fine but after many quality issues with Indy's and ghost pop on the ventures, I now have the standard royals and 2 sets of the ultralights on different decks and I will buy more of them if they stay in business. I really hope so..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: September 25, 2023, 01:31:25 PM »
Royals with ACE bushings is S-Tier (don't knock it until you've tried it). If you still crank'em down a bit, the bones hard top with the bones washer eats up threads quite nicely. Back on my 144 ultras after a stint on 159s, just moved the bushings over.

Also, the Ultralight (hollow) 159s are really great at that size/weight (compared to indy or ace).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 11:21:16 AM by Xen »

ulpsb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #917 on: September 25, 2023, 02:20:52 PM »

My royals 139 right before switching to ace af1 33 lows.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #918 on: September 25, 2023, 03:22:50 PM »
I had @LebowskisRug's old trucks and I echo his statement about the grind. I found it subpar compared to the well worn Indy 144 Standards which preceded these. The turn was great, super quick and definitely LOOSE. If you like tight trucks, you'll probably want to change the bushings. They were looser than ACE, in my experience. The IKP kept loosening on its own and this bummed me out.

I ultimately switched to some Ace AF-1 44s and passed the Royals to a friend who loves to experiment with new skate equipment and famously shreds through everything very quickly. I haven't heard what he thinks about them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Meathook

• Rep: 74
« Reply #919 on: September 26, 2023, 08:25:51 AM »
Fuck this thread and it’s praises for making me buy some 144 GG models on sale.  I’ve been on 5.2 low and 147 for a while, but want to get less wheelbite without the ghost pop of higher trucks.  Based on what everyone’s saying this is good option compared to other available.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #920 on: September 26, 2023, 10:04:10 AM »
I had @LebowskisRug's old trucks and I echo his statement about the grind. I found it subpar compared to the well worn Indy 144 Standards which preceded these. The turn was great, super quick and definitely LOOSE. If you like tight trucks, you'll probably want to change the bushings. They were looser than ACE, in my experience. The IKP kept loosening on its own and this bummed me out.

I ultimately switched to some Ace AF-1 44s and passed the Royals to a friend who loves to experiment with new skate equipment and famously shreds through everything very quickly. I haven't heard what he thinks about them.

Funny how different everyone's experience can be. I had @Gene_Harrogate 's old trucks, and they were all around pretty great. I'll have to pull them back out of the bin and post a follow up.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: September 26, 2023, 10:11:45 AM »
Fuck this thread and it’s praises for making me buy some 144 GG models on sale.  I’ve been on 5.2 low and 147 for a while, but want to get less wheelbite without the ghost pop of higher trucks.  Based on what everyone’s saying this is good option compared to other available.

as i’ve mentioned in other threads, i skate the same trucks as you (both).
i’ve also been wanting to try the royals. thankfully the gg 139s haven’t been anywhere. i can’t even find regular 139s. so i’m safe. for now.
my main reasoning for wanting to try these was to get a truck that is closer to a thunder/venture, that could run a 54 mm wheel. for these streets.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #922 on: September 26, 2023, 11:07:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i’ve also been wanting to try the royals. thankfully the gg 139s haven’t been anywhere. i can’t even find regular 139s. so i’m safe. for now.
my main reasoning for wanting to try these was to get a truck that is closer to a thunder/venture, that could run a 54 mm wheel. for these streets.
probably not what you want to hear, but the deluxe wooden risers would be a cheaper alternative and you'd still be loyal to your dlx branded trucks. although royal seems to be treating many well and we all have gear madness..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: September 26, 2023, 11:14:58 AM »

How did you grind all that away and not touch the giant kingpin they have?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
probably not what you want to hear, but the deluxe wooden risers would be a cheaper alternative and you'd still be loyal to your dlx branded trucks. although royal seems to be treating many well and we all have gear madness..

That's what's really crazy about them, if you settle into them (really settle into them and by that I mean skate them for weeks not 2 sessions), the madness goes away.

Good thing GG didn't get pitched on that back smith with them sticky/hard/slow grinding royals...

Vincent to:

Meathook

• Rep: 74
« Reply #924 on: September 26, 2023, 12:15:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

That's what's really crazy about them, if you settle into them (really settle into them and by that I mean skate them for weeks not 2 sessions), the madness goes away.

Good thing GG didn't get pitched on that back smith with them sticky/hard/slow grinding royals...

Vincent to:

This is the main reason I want to try them.  Skate something new that does everything well enough to get rid of the madness.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #925 on: September 26, 2023, 01:13:27 PM »
I'd buy the ones @Xen has in the Classifieds if I wasn't scarred for life on IKPs thanks to Indy Mids.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #926 on: September 26, 2023, 02:04:21 PM »
I don’t know if I mentioned but mine are the ultralights. I wonder if that accounts for some of the grind difference?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #927 on: September 26, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
I don’t know if I mentioned but mine are the ultralights. I wonder if that accounts for some of the grind difference?

There is a different sound between the IKP (solid axle) and the ultralights (hollow axle and hollow regular pin) but the grind is identical.

A buddy of mine believes that the sound of the grind impacts your perception of the grind (much akin to how we feel about wheels and the sounds they make: see bones x97/99).

There might be something to it. Indys and slappys for sure 'sound' better to me when grinding add in the rounded hanger vs the venture/royal thin hanger and there could be a correlation. 

Just gotta grind them. I found I prefer the grind feel and sound of the royals over the venture, even tho both are tinny sounding compared to indy or slappy (and both of those are much heavier).

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #928 on: September 26, 2023, 04:58:51 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but if I replace the bushings with Bones or Ace hard bushings will it change the height of them? I really like the Ultralights I have but the bushings are a little too soft and loose for my taste. I want them a little tighter so I think harder bushings are the right move, but I'd like to keep the feel as close to stock as possible (definitely don't want to make them higher). There's bones hards, and then there are both Ace hard standard, and Ace hard low. What do you think would be the best? And would I keep the stock washers or use the replacement ones that come with new bushings. I've never really messed with my trucks before.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #929 on: September 26, 2023, 06:18:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Vincent to:

when i buy these….i’m going to blame you.