Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69572 times)

vicious cycle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 166
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #930 on: September 27, 2023, 09:49:19 AM »
This may be a stupid question, but if I replace the bushings with Bones or Ace hard bushings will it change the height of them? I really like the Ultralights I have but the bushings are a little too soft and loose for my taste. I want them a little tighter so I think harder bushings are the right move, but I'd like to keep the feel as close to stock as possible (definitely don't want to make them higher). There's bones hards, and then there are both Ace hard standard, and Ace hard low. What do you think would be the best? And would I keep the stock washers or use the replacement ones that come with new bushings. I've never really messed with my trucks before.
I use the Ace standard Hard Bushings.
The bottom bushing is exactly the same height. I put them next to each other, both brand new. So you won't change the height of the trucks. The top Ace is higher. But this does not change the geo. When I put the kingpin nut on and make it flush, so no threat showing, it's basically perfect for me. It's stable, but the turn is still deep enough when you need it. I use the washers that came with the Ace Bushings. They are also pretty similar.
They needed 2-3 sessions to break in. It felt a little bit to thight at first but now it's great. I'm 78 kgs btw.
I mean it's worth a try.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #931 on: September 27, 2023, 11:12:29 AM »
Expand Quote
This may be a stupid question, but if I replace the bushings with Bones or Ace hard bushings will it change the height of them? I really like the Ultralights I have but the bushings are a little too soft and loose for my taste. I want them a little tighter so I think harder bushings are the right move, but I'd like to keep the feel as close to stock as possible (definitely don't want to make them higher). There's bones hards, and then there are both Ace hard standard, and Ace hard low. What do you think would be the best? And would I keep the stock washers or use the replacement ones that come with new bushings. I've never really messed with my trucks before.
[close]
I use the Ace standard Hard Bushings.
The bottom bushing is exactly the same height. I put them next to each other, both brand new. So you won't change the height of the trucks. The top Ace is higher. But this does not change the geo. When I put the kingpin nut on and make it flush, so no threat showing, it's basically perfect for me. It's stable, but the turn is still deep enough when you need it. I use the washers that came with the Ace Bushings. They are also pretty similar.
They needed 2-3 sessions to break in. It felt a little bit to thight at first but now it's great. I'm 78 kgs btw.
I mean it's worth a try.

I really appreciate the feedback thank you. I'm going to give this a try. I'm about 185 lbs so I think this will be good.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #932 on: September 27, 2023, 12:04:29 PM »

I posted this above but here you go:

Ace HARD bottom is same height as Royal stock bottom (flat washer in below photo / same height as regular)
Bones HARD top (Same height as royal stock) with bones washer

This pairing doesn't change the geo that I can tell AND the bones washer on top of the bones top eats of the 1-2 threads that show using stock bushings.

ACE HARD top as noted above is TALLER but STILL works fine as the top doesn't throw off the geo (like the bottom being higher or lower)...I'd still be using it but when I got the bones hards I tried them (top and bottom but didn't like the feel); and with fucking around with different combos I just put the bones hard top on and said fuckit. You'd be fine with the ace hards top and bottom, as the hard top actually eats up the threads of the kingping as well as the bones with the top washer). If you want a pic I can swap'em and post it.

ACE HARD LOW top shows sooo many threads you'd vomit.

At 190lbs this is the best combo for me that still enables a great turn (but not crazy loose).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 12:12:40 PM by Xen »

Doosh215

« Reply #933 on: September 27, 2023, 12:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace HARD bottom is same height as Royal stock bottom (flat washer in below photo / same height as regular)

This pairing doesn't change the geo that I can tell AND the bones washer on top of the bones top eats of the 1-2 threads that show using stock bushings.

ACE HARD top as noted above is TALLER but STILL works fine as the top doesn't throw off the geo (like the bottom being higher or lower)...I'd still be using it but when I got the bones hards I tried them (top and bottom but didn't like the feel); and with fucking around with different combos I just put the bones hard top on and said fuckit. You'd be fine with the ace hards top and bottom, as the hard top actually eats up the threads of the kingping as well as the bones with the top washer). If you want a pic I can swap'em and post it.

At 190lbs this is the best combo for me that still enables a great turn (but not crazy loose).

Awesome thank you. Yeah I have some threads showing with the stock bushings that I'm not a fan of. I was going to cut the kingpin but this seems like a much better solution.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #934 on: September 29, 2023, 07:34:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Awesome thank you. Yeah I have some threads showing with the stock bushings that I'm not a fan of. I was going to cut the kingpin but this seems like a much better solution.

144 Royal Ultras + ACE hards top/bottom + MoMo the kitteh

Meathook

• Rep: 74
« Reply #935 on: September 30, 2023, 07:23:50 AM »
Does anyone else think these are made in the same place Aces are/were?  I just got a pair and the finish and bushings are VERY similar to an older pair of ace classics I have.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #936 on: September 30, 2023, 07:26:20 AM »
It's possible, but the metal seems to grind nothing like an Ace.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: September 30, 2023, 10:42:04 AM »
Does anyone else think these are made in the same place Aces are/were?  I just got a pair and the finish and bushings are VERY similar to an older pair of ace classics I have.

I don’t know aces you skated, but the ugly/cheap and deep pitted look at the Royals doesn’t look anything like Classics or AF1s. Classic’s weren’t mirror polished like af1s tho.

I’d wager the semi solid state during the Rheocasting is why they are so dimpled/pitted…or lazy/not cost effective to polish (not that you need polished trucks…but they do look nicer at retail).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:55:07 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #938 on: September 30, 2023, 10:48:07 AM »
Now that I know how to polish trucks and polished the heinous Kader raws I'll offer free polishing services to anyone who will cover shipping. Ship trucks to me, I'll ship via Shippo for $7

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #939 on: September 30, 2023, 10:53:02 AM »
Now that I know how to polish trucks and polished the heinous Kader raws I'll offer free polishing services to anyone who will cover shipping. Ship trucks to me, I'll ship via Shippo for $7

Those kaders weren’t that bad ;) I liked them and those raw Louie Indys and thunder raws.

Doosh215

« Reply #940 on: September 30, 2023, 11:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

144 Royal Ultras + ACE hards top/bottom + MoMo the kitteh

Cat seems to approve, and that's good enough for me

LebowskisRug

« Reply #941 on: September 30, 2023, 12:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those kaders weren’t that bad ;) I liked them and those raw Louie Indys and thunder raws.

Ya they weren't as terrible as 95% of the Venture collabs/special editions but I love the polished/purple bushing look of the V-lights I have and it was a fun challenge. Actually super easy if you have a dremel and the right wheels.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #942 on: September 30, 2023, 03:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ya they weren't as terrible as 95% of the Venture collabs/special editions but I love the polished/purple bushing look of the V-lights I have and it was a fun challenge. Actually super easy if you have a dremel and the right wheels.

Pics!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: October 17, 2023, 11:44:28 AM »
Don't know why I left these new Royals a few months ago. Felt good before and back on them they feel better. Front crooks feel so easy to hold.

What did the madness make you ride instead of the royals? For me it's always Thunders...then I jump right back to the royals.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 12:24:52 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #944 on: October 17, 2023, 01:23:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pics!

Old vid, there's some polishing compound still on one truck hence the dots. They're not a super shiny polish like a Thunder or some V Light options- more like an Indy.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #945 on: October 17, 2023, 01:35:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pics!
[close]

Old vid, there's some polishing compound still on one truck hence the dots. They're not a super shiny polish like a Thunder or some V Light options- more like an Indy.

i like that.
and 2 bolts per, like a real one.
nice work

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #946 on: October 18, 2023, 06:37:02 PM »
Damn those look good, wouldn't even know they were the raw finish originally

LebowskisRug

« Reply #947 on: October 18, 2023, 06:41:55 PM »
I'm temporarily in Venture-land but my house is located on Thunder island

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: October 20, 2023, 09:27:14 AM »
Damn those look good, wouldn't even know they were the raw finish originally

I can't see the vid/pics - not sure why, I don't see the link?

I'm temporarily in Venture-land but my house is located on Thunder island

I'm tempted by these forged raw unridden v-lites (that I can't seem to sell on classifieds) that I have sitting around...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #949 on: October 20, 2023, 10:41:26 AM »
V lites are great- super snappy. But for whatever reason on them the rear of the board takes for fucking ever to come up and I'm not about to go down the rabbit hole of finding a new deck to pair with them when the shape I've had like 15 of in the last year or two has been great with cast for the most part.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: October 20, 2023, 01:00:33 PM »
V lites are great- super snappy. But for whatever reason on them the rear of the board takes for fucking ever to come up and I'm not about to go down the rabbit hole of finding a new deck to pair with them when the shape I've had like 15 of in the last year or two has been great with cast for the most part.

I'm sitting on a Primitive so the short WB and longer kicks will pair well with them.

skateboardingenthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #951 on: December 06, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »
Yeah I’ve been on the IKP version for about a year now and I’m not thinking of changing anytime soon.
They are great all round. Don’t have to worry about the wheelbase of my deck. Just get whatever. I like that they have reduced my truck madness.
Okay, this right here is what makes me want to get a pair. Seems like standards are the way to go with these.

This could be their place in the market. “Just get whatever.”

Stuck in a hard place with your truck madness and find yourself switching back and forth between Indy and Thunder? Royals, baby.

Looking forward to these. Glad to see a nostalgic brand get an update. Good on Crailtap. Makes me wonder where Silver trucks is in all of this… it’d be dope to see them make a resurgence, too.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #952 on: December 07, 2023, 07:49:56 AM »
Makes me wonder where Silver trucks is in all of this… it’d be dope to see them make a resurgence, too.
all Silver needs to do is continue making their skate tool, nothing else

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #953 on: December 07, 2023, 09:35:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Makes me wonder where Silver trucks is in all of this… it’d be dope to see them make a resurgence, too.
[close]
all Silver needs to do is continue making their skate tool, nothing else
Probably that's what keep them in business
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -330
« Reply #954 on: December 07, 2023, 02:07:28 PM »
They are better than indy's for sure. I'm two months deep and very happy with grinds and slides

Glutenpadre

• Rep: 1
« Reply #955 on: December 10, 2023, 11:10:38 PM »
Anyone Else using a Indy Hanger?
I switched from 8.5 to 8.3 and didn't want to buy a new pair.
Sits in pretty snug, geometry is maybe a little off but still nice.
Occasional wheel bite but the added grind smoothness/clearance has been great for me.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #956 on: December 13, 2023, 05:34:31 AM »
Anyone Else using a Indy Hanger?
I switched from 8.5 to 8.3 and didn't want to buy a new pair.
Sits in pretty snug, geometry is maybe a little off but still nice.
Occasional wheel bite but the added grind smoothness/clearance has been great for me.

a buddy is using his thunder hangers and it looks ugly af  ;D

LebowskisRug

« Reply #957 on: December 13, 2023, 09:44:12 AM »
I dunno why you'd use a Thunder hanger. I had the same small nitpick that Ben D did in that its either the type of metal or shape of the baseplate but it didn't slide any better than a Thunder for me. I could hear it slide, but still felt like I had to lean back on noseslides the same

Obijuan91

• Rep: 16
« Reply #958 on: December 15, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »
They’re on sale at skate warehouse for 30$ with shipping. Gave up on the Indy mids and compulsively bought a pair. Now I got way to many trucks and currently can’t skate cuz of a year long neck injury first world problems.

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -446
« Reply #959 on: December 15, 2023, 08:17:18 PM »
They’re on sale at skate warehouse for 30$ with shipping. Gave up on the Indy mids and compulsively bought a pair. Now I got way to many trucks and currently can’t skate cuz of a year long neck injury first world problems.
you won't regret it. indys are trash now