Author Topic: Recommended Material For Building a Permanent Ledge  (Read 992 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Recommended Material For Building a Permanent Ledge
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:32:47 AM »
Planning on fabricating a bench similar to this shape to leave and chain up at the skate park. Lack of space means concrete is not an option and it will be left out in all weather conditions, so wood is not an option.

Design will be similar to this:

But with proper coping and a weather proof top sheet that slides well.

Estimated dimension 2000mm x 500mm x 400mm, long enough to get a decent slide and wide enough to double as a manual pad.

Looking for recommendation on materials so it get the fabricator to build to spec:
1) Is there any specific kind of angle iron that is recommended? I've heard mild steel is preferred, aluminum is a no go since it will stick to your trucks.
2) How should the top deck be built? A piece of plywood with a sheet of metal on top drilled in and glued? Skatelite isn't available in my country.
3) Recommended height? I'm thinking 14 - 16" for advanced skaters.

Any other input and feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Recommended Material For Building a Permanent Ledge
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 08:48:27 AM »
I know you are just using that box for an example but I see some issues with it that would make me not want to skate it.

1.) I don’t like the upright supports being so open on the face of the box. On my boxes I always had plywood covering the entire front so if I missed my leg wouldn’t go under and hit the structure. You could have sheet metal welded on to close the gap.

2.) you should be glad there is no skatelite in your country—that stuff sucks. It either sticks like crazy or slides uncontrollably. Sheet metal might have the same issue, but it’s a hard surface and you could paint it to get the right slide action you want.

3.) when skate lite is used there is always a hard white plastic underlay to give the skatelite some support. I assume you will have to do the same with metal because the sound alone would be unbearable.

Angle iron always works great and will last forever. I prefer iron big enough to where your wheels touch on a slide. If you are going to a metal shop maybe they can source larger angle iron than what you find in a home improvement store.

Make sure you have a way to adjust the box to slightly uneven ground. Think of the feet on a refrigerator. For a wood box it will conform to the ground over time but not a metal box. Sandbags can probably be used to hold in place but make sure there is enough weight to the box so it doesn’t bounce when you hit it or that will be annoying.

Height is a personal preference but I go with 16”. 14” is slightly low but if you are looking for a manual pan go with 14”.

As far as materials, I have only ever built with wood and then capped the edges with angle iron. If you use outdoor wood it should last forever.

It might be easier to buy a plan and provide it to the metal shop unless you feel comfortable drafting something yourself. Good luck getting what you want.

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 11:01:02 AM »
butter bench

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:48:02 PM »
When someone points at their shin to tell you how high they want their ledge it is almost always 16". When you build it a 16 they always say it's higher then they thought. So build it at 14 and tell everyone it's 16. With a bench like that you can have both. Just turn it on it's side

Galvanized angle iron or stainless if you have the money. Paint the welds before fall and after spring if you use galvanized.

Butter bench is fake wood made from recycled plastic bottles so it's everywhere you should be able to find it. Or just change the plywood every year. Or fiberglass the plywood

Even if you use unprotected steel angle it would last many years but the skatepark will be the epicenter for lock jaw in your community. So paint is your friend

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
Don't you guys find anything with a void ie a bench is scarier than a ledge?  I'd go 14"......

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I live in a tiny country in Asia so all our raw materials are imported and hence expensive. I was thinking metal bench style or box/ledge using marine plywood, but both were insanely expensive and almost 3 - 5 times what I had budgeted.

I want something that will last but doesn't cost too much, we all know the black sheep in the community will nick the bench in a heartbeat.

Butter Bench is a good concept but I hate the feeling of the grind on plastic. I can never feel the pinch and it's always way too slick. If there was a way to glue / drill the angle iron on the edge it would be perfect.

Edit: did some research and butter bench (plastic lumber) looks like an interesting choice because it's weather proof and turn out you can drill into it so getting angle iron onto is a possibility.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:02:47 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m