Author Topic: skating while taking anticoagulant drugs  (Read 818 times)

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
skating while taking anticoagulant drugs
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:58:13 AM »
hey maybe someone has some experience or input on this:

just suffered a series of strokes ten days ago and came out kind of unphased apart from some vertigo/dizziness issues, that my therapist is pretty optimistic about. i first thought there'd be no way of skating ever again, but now it comes back up as a possibility. however, i'm on medicine now, that "thins" the blood ("eliquis", if anybody knows this one), my doctor told me scratches etc. are no problem, but internal bleeding should be really avoided.
has anybody experience dealing with anticoagulant drugs or illness and skating?

thanks in advance!

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: skating while taking anticoagulant drugs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:54:54 PM »
Sounds like a bad idea, especially if ur doctor said u should avoid bruising.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:15:21 AM »

+1. Imagine any slam and having internal bleedings.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »

Don't risk it. Be patient.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 02:55:29 AM »
It’s safer to avoid skating but like most things in medicine, there’s no absolute answers.

Different anticoagulant drugs change the bleeding time in different amounts. With the old classic Warfarin you could do an INR test every few days and see how big the effect was - it gave you a score on how long you would take to
Stop Bleeding compared to a “normal” person so a score of 4 would mean it would take you 4 times as long as a normal person to
Stop bleeding ( that’s a long time if you are properly hurt!)

The drug you are on is a newer one that you can’t do
The test with bit for Most people it gives them ab effective score of around 2.5. That’s just about ok with small wounds - cuts, taking a tooth out but could be bad news with a deep Cut or big fall.

I’m not your doctor and they will always be cautious.

TL:DR is low
Impact flat ground / gentle curbs would
Probably be ok but you will bruiser easy. Anything woth
Much risk of a big cut or falling heavy on a rail / edge of a ledge could be trouble.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 05:50:22 AM »
As uncomfortably divisive it may be to wear one, I'd put on a helmet, too for any skateboarding if you plan on doing it while on blood thinners. Freak accidents happen.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 01:42:42 PM »
hey maybe someone has some experience or input on this:

just suffered a series of strokes ten days ago and came out kind of unphased apart from some vertigo/dizziness issues, that my therapist is pretty optimistic about. i first thought there'd be no way of skating ever again, but now it comes back up as a possibility. however, i'm on medicine now, that "thins" the blood ("eliquis", if anybody knows this one), my doctor told me scratches etc. are no problem, but internal bleeding should be really avoided.
has anybody experience dealing with anticoagulant drugs or illness and skating?

thanks in advance!

First of all, glad you are ok.
My dad is on eliquis and bruises REALLY easy. I would stay low key if I were you….

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »
Hey thanks for all the input, the shared experiences, tips and words.

I'm taking it really easy, just pushing on the straight sidewalk to the shop feels like a trip (in a fun way actually) and I'm not rushing anything. My physiotherapists are all really happy and thrilled with my progress and I can already go swimming and be a regular-abled person in everyday life. I'm not at all thinking about risking anything "big" some time soon – just to get this out of the way...
I don't have something to worry in terms of scratches, as far as my doctor goes. But I also don't want to underestimate the drug and the after-effects of the strokes - especially the psychological ones. There is a possibility of me getting on a really small dosage or off the medicine completely in february...
That being said, having to deal with the thought of never skating again, while being in the hospital was tough. Maybe I'm gonna start focusing on slappys by next summer...

Thanks again!

doittomebaby

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 05:12:59 PM »
had a small stroke 9 years ago and have been on blood thinners everyday since. Never even considered it an issue. You'll be fine to carry on your life the way you have always done. Just take it easy for some time in the grounds you had a stroke. Tiredness and not fully being yourself for awhile is what you should concer yourself with.

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 12:46:44 PM »
had a small stroke 9 years ago and have been on blood thinners everyday since. Never even considered it an issue. You'll be fine to carry on your life the way you have always done. Just take it easy for some time in the grounds you had a stroke. Tiredness and not fully being yourself for awhile is what you should concer yourself with.

hey thanks for the words of encouragement.
also from the other posters, as well as for the words of caution.

tiredness and not really being there a 100% is exactly right.