Author Topic: Synthesizers  (Read 1691 times)

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
Synthesizers
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »
Calling all synth nerds

I am newly initiated. I bought a Korg MS-20 mini a few months ago. It's been so fun to mess around with but there is definitely a learning curve to understanding the patching since this is my first synth

I just ordered an SQ-1 sequencer to use along side the ms-20. Super excited to play with them together

On my want list:
-Reverb pedal or rack
-Korg Volca Beats Analog Rhythm Machine or another drum machine(haven't done much research yet)
-eventually Micro Korg

Any other slappers out there got any gear?

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
Re: Synthesizers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:54:24 AM »
Calling all synth nerds

I am newly initiated. I bought a Korg MS-20 mini a few months ago. It's been so fun to mess around with but there is definitely a learning curve to understanding the patching since this is my first synth

I just ordered an SQ-1 sequencer to use along side the ms-20. Super excited to play with them together

On my want list:
-Reverb pedal or rack
-Korg Volca Beats Analog Rhythm Machine or another drum machine(haven't done much research yet)
-eventually Micro Korg

Any other slappers out there got any gear?

Much more of a guitar player but here’s the two I’m working with currently.

Yamaha Reface CS

A fun little VA that punches way above its weight class. 5 different waveforms, all sliders, no menu diving. Terrific sounds. Can be run on batteries. I sometimes noodle on this thing at my desk when I should be working, oops. Can not recommend enough.

E-MU Proteus MPS

Terrific ROMpler with like 120 great sounds sampled from an Emulator III. No synthesis, but you can combine two sounds and also manipulate a few parameters via a stressful menu. The noises from this are all over television and games from the 90s (This version unfortunately doesn’t have the X-Files Whistle sound, believe that was rack only). Received this as part of a trade for an E-MU EMAX II with a broken disc drive and screen. Although it doesn’t get much use at the moment, I won’t get rid of it for awhile. I last used it maybe 2 months ago to put strings on a Sisters of Mercy cover for a friend.

I used to have a Nord Lead 2x but sold it recently after I saw what they were going for. & As far as drum machines go that’s another story. I love ‘em and have had more than my fair share of them.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 10:36:15 AM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
My current rig is a Korg Electribe 2 sampler and a Korg minilogue XD. I have a few other gadgets I use like a Rucci power synth and a Nintendo DS with Korg applications. I didn't really intend to be such a Korg fangirl but I guess they dominated my price range lol. The minilogue xd is absolutely amazing, the ES2 has some horrible glitches, particularly pertaining to pattern chaining that never get patched so I can't recommend it as a purchase, but I've learned how to squeeze good tracks out of it anyway.
    I'm a total newbie with synths but played guitar, bass and drums before I got sucked down the synth wormhole.
Here's a track I made a few months ago if anyone's interested :)

https://vfriendly713.bandcamp.com/album/been-hearing-ghosts

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 01:05:04 PM »
I was kinda into synths for a couple years. I want to start playing around again and do some synth punk stuff but I’m just not feeling inspired at all lately.

Also I have no idea how to play piano/keyboard, I just like electronics and synthesis.

What I’ve currently got:
Arturia Minibrute 2
Moog Mother-32
Beatstep Pro sequencer
DrumBrute
A few Korg Volcas
Alesis HR-16 drum machine that I got for $30 20 years ago

I wanted to start designing and building my own modular stuff since I’m into electronics, but the first oscillator I built caught on fire and I just couldn’t find the motivation to build another.

I also made a bunch of cool circuit bent stuff 20+ years ago that I need to get out of storage.

Synths are fun but a money pit.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:28:22 PM »
I like synthesizers. I own or have owned at some point:

Arturia Microbrute
Arturia Minibrute
Behringer K2
Behringer Wasp Deluxe
Casio CZ-101
Doepfer Dark Energy II
Korg MS-10
Korg MS-20 mini
Roland JD-XI
Roland Saturn SA-09
Yamaha DSR-500
+ various filters

I also put together a 104hp eurorack synth that I hated. I get pretty bad option paralysis and the modular was just too much. Gear is cool but as others have said it is a money pit. Lately I haven't had too much time to work on stuff because of work/life and its honestly kind of a relief because I am not fantasizing about buying gear.

Same price point, but the Behringer RD-6 is really nice and is worth checking out. Just my take but I think it sounds better than the Volca Beats and is also a bit more playable.

edit: @Huell Howser if you want to go down a nice MS-20 rabbit hole I would highly recommend checking out Ippei Tambata. Master MS-20 patchmaker who posts everything to his blog and YouTube channel:

http://blog.ipppei.com

Also I have no idea how to play piano/keyboard, I just like electronics and synthesis.

Same.

I have a few other gadgets I use like a Rucci power synth and a Nintendo DS with Korg applications.

Little drone synths like the stuff Rucci does are my first love. I've had a couple of his machines and then some other stuff like the Skychord Sleepdrone 3/5/6. So much fun.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 01:40:42 PM by Macho Taildrop »

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 03:34:32 PM »
I have the basic Korg Minilogue, and an Arturia Microfreak.

I splurged and got the Electroharmonix Superego Pedal which makes for some really fun droney atmoshere type stuff.

Also have the teenage engineering little drum machine but haven't used it as much as I thought I would.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »
I’m no musician, but I’m glad synths were invented.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »
studio's a mess, but here's what I'm working with at the moment:

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 05:04:47 PM »
@augustmoon jealous of the Lyra-8!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
It’s super fun.  Instant horror movie sounds. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 10:00:37 PM »
@augustmoon Now I feel less guilty about car shit.

Garza15

• Rep: -1
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 12:05:01 AM »
music synthesizer, also called electronic sound synthesizer, machine that electronically generates and modifies sounds, frequently with the use of a digital computer. Synthesizers are used for the composition of electronic music and in live performance.

Kroger Feed

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:28:31 PM by Garza15 »

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »

i cant play any instruments but someone dumped this lil frankenstein at my thrift store and it was too cool for me to pass up

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 01:58:04 AM »

Cool setup!

....nice to see some synth heads here. I mainly use modular synthesizers, but also have a digitone, octatrack and a monome shields. This is, how it looked a couple of months ago:

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 02:23:32 AM »
I'm constantly buying and selling gear but don't really get into the nerdery of it all. I just sample stuff and let it go. Trying to sell a Digitakt right now and a Nord Lead 2x. I just like making music. Spent too many hours going to visit people's houses or studios stocked with equipment only to hear them ramble on forever about different gear or modular set ups but with little musical output to show for it. That's no dig at anyone that's just intrigued by synthesis btw, some people are just into gear and that's cool. I've lived in lots of short term housing so these days i'm happy with just a laptop, soundcard and tonnes of samples to use.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 267
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 04:49:32 AM »
I don't have any analog synths unfortunately but I do use Massive sometimes when making beats. Lately I've been going around my city with a contact mic plugged into a reverb pedal plugged into a small amp, clipping the mic onto random things, fences, trees etc, recording it, then once I get home feeding it into my AKAI Mpk2 mini and playing the sounds as if they were a synth, recording process is like - https://streamable.com/c4skcl , you can hear one of the beats I made here, the main sample is just a really creaky gate I found, and the bass/chorus harmony is a friend moaning into a cider bottle pitched up and down, it's really good fun https://soundcloud.com/rarewitch21/crrreak

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »
I'm more of a guitar/pedal nerd, but this might be interesting to some of you. I bought the Artiphon Orba earlier this year and it's a pretty fun little toy synth. Its usable on its own, and you can use your computer or phone to select sounds and change other settings. It's basically a synth with 4 modes (drums, bass, chords, lead) with a looper, but it can also be used as a midi controller for a DAW. I've never tried it as a midi controller, but it's fun and easy enough for me to mess with on its own. Its interesting to visualize playing scales and keys in a circular format rather than a liner one. Not really a serious instrument for me, just something quick and fun to pull out and whip up a beat. Its also way harder to keep things in time than the video shows, as it does not quantize anything.

baggy spandex

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »

On my want list:
-Reverb pedal or rack

Meris Mercury7
https://www.meris.us/product/mercury7-reverb-pedal/

They also do a 500 Series version if you're more interested in that

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 05:39:03 PM »
My current rig is a Korg Electribe 2 sampler and a Korg minilogue XD. I have a few other gadgets I use like a Rucci power synth and a Nintendo DS with Korg applications. I didn't really intend to be such a Korg fangirl but I guess they dominated my price range lol. The minilogue xd is absolutely amazing, the ES2 has some horrible glitches, particularly pertaining to pattern chaining that never get patched so I can't recommend it as a purchase, but I've learned how to squeeze good tracks out of it anyway.
    I'm a total newbie with synths but played guitar, bass and drums before I got sucked down the synth wormhole.
Here's a track I made a few months ago if anyone's interested :)

https://vfriendly713.bandcamp.com/album/been-hearing-ghosts

how do you like the rucci? ive been looking at his stuff. love how simple it is.

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 08:33:07 PM »

how do you like the rucci? ive been looking at his stuff. love how simple it is.

It's a fun synth! Makes for a solid drum machine too and cv sync makes it get along well with other hardware. Really raw and powerful sounds and a lot of accessible fun especially if you have some effects pedals around.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 04:13:47 PM »

goddamn, beautiful setup! that prophet 6 is so sick. do you have any tracks you've recorded?
Expand Quote

On my want list:
-Reverb pedal or rack

[close]

Meris Mercury7
https://www.meris.us/product/mercury7-reverb-pedal/

They also do a 500 Series version if you're more interested in that

nice! i'll check this out. cool nick reinhart is in that demo vid haha

confession: I am already considering selling my ms-20 mini to get something else. I keep coming across other synths that have more tones that I am way more interested in :(

ex:

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 11:59:49 AM »
bump

I am thinking of actually trading my MS-20mini for a Korg Minilogue.

Anyone had any experience with these?
It looks like it has more features that I would get into(delay, built in sequencer)

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 01:09:42 PM »
bump

It looks like it has more features that I would get into(delay, built in sequencer)

I have minilogue XD. It's the business
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 01:10:05 PM »
bump

A constituent of mine has one and I’ve used it dozens of times. It’s super fun and accessible, everything is labeled clearly and it’s not too overwhelming. It’s an affordable, versatile 4 voice analog synth. Hard to hate. Its compact size makes it easily transportable. Really deliberated getting one but went with the cheaper virtual analog Reface CS.

Looks like @texascybergothic uses the Minilogue XD as part of their rig, perhaps they could answer any questions you might have.

Edit: o looks @RichardBarkley has it as well

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
bump

[close]

I have minilogue XD. It's the business

I had a minilogue and it was really fun and intuitive like said above. I would get the XD version now probably. I sold it and all of my synths/samplers/noise makers b/c I don't make music very often so may as well stick with guitar which I am at least proficient at.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »
bump

An MS-20 is something that demands an almost unreasonable amount of time to get under the skin of, its modular layout is pretty clunky compared to stuff available now, but - and it's a big but - aside from some big 80's pad sounds there's not a whole lot you can't pull out of that thing. This guy's blog is about 15 years deep of solely patched MS-20 sounds,

http://blog.ipppei.com/archives/cat_50032881.html

The minilogue is definitely more instantly gratifying and dick-around-able.

Edit: Oh shit, just saw that Macho Taildrop already linked that blog, my bad. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:04:59 PM by palelight »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2021, 07:02:02 AM »
@palelight do not apologize, that blog is amazing and needs to be seen.

I find that the less gear I have in front of me, the more that I like what I create. So inspiring to see/hear the things that Ippei comes up with using just a single synthesizer.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2021, 07:33:44 AM »
bump

I love mine. add a few fx pedals to it and you'll never get bored
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2021, 07:35:21 AM »
It’s not a synth, like proper, but this bastard is ok to tool around with particularly on le bender or kickons or whatever they call it these days

It does it’s job anyway

imagehosting

IMO bass guitar on mad pedal setups goes harder but only when stoned

Well save that for another thread

They all smack fuck out of a piano, anyway
But also learn on a piano
I’m not very good but I have a go

Edit

Guys just one of those assholes but anything is possible on a piano, ay

listen to cosmic psychos