Author Topic: Hardware Problems. Which New Set of Hardware Should I Get? Any Suggestions?  (Read 793 times)

yunghungryskater24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Hello slapmagazine. New skater here.  I have experience skating 12-13 years ago when I was 10-11, and just got back in to the skating world.  Excited but a little bummed out after what happened yesterday.

Right before I was done with a 3 hour skate session, I busted my a** and fell on the sidewalk going on a slight right turn.  I really didn't know why or how that happened because I don't think I did anything wrong.  When I came home I realized that one screw was out of my board, and that I was missing the nut to go along with it.  I think that's why I fell.

My board is a custom build by Tactics (they built it).  I received it a week ago.  For reference here are the specs: 
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Deck: Element Seal Black Deck: 8.0" x 32.06"

Trucks: Thunder polished (147) trucks 8.0 axle

Grip tape: Jessup ultra grip tape 9" x 33"

Bearings: Bones reds bearings

Wheels: Mini Logo A-Cut wheels (95a) 52mm

Riser pads: 1/8 in Bones riser pads
(I know risers were not necessary for 52mm, but I wanted them to prevent bite)

Hardware: Standard Philips skateboard hardware 1 in
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I thought that the 1 inch size hardware would work with the 1/8 inch riser pads, but after riding and looking at my board I don't think so.  I don't think the screws catch the nylon in the nut, they are just under.  And the screws do not come out of the nut at all.  (Maybe I'll post a pic of my board later so you can all see clearly what I am talking about).

This all could be because that one screw and nut were loose, but I doubt it.  Now I think I should go get bigger size hardware, but there really isn't much choice out there for 1 1/8 inch for ex (if you no of more brands please recommend, would appreciate greatly), which I think would fix the problem. 

There are these Thunder 1 1/8 in hardware I found on skatewarehouse, but I am concerned that there is too much smoothing in the screws and not enough ridges to secure the screws in place with the nuts.  https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Thunder_Phillips_Mounting_Hardware/descpage-THBOMH.html

There are also these, Shorty's 1 1/8 in hardware, but I've read that shorter heads are not good. 
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Shortys_Phillips_Hardware/descpage-SHPHW.html

And there are these Independent 1 1/4 in hardware, which I think might be too long (I know some say you can't go too long, but idk).  https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_Phillips_Hardware/descpage-INPHMH.html

Or I could just get the same 1 inch hardware I have on the board.  Any advice and thoughts?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 12:02:18 AM by yunghungryskater24 »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Sometimes you just fall man.

If the truck isn't actually coming loose off the board it's probably not the hardware. But if you want to make sure then maybe get the Indy. It's only about 2mm difference

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
If you live near one.....go to a local shop...get them to recommend something and buy a t.....welcome to skateboarding...

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Getcha some longer hardware if that helps ease your mind (I usually ride 1” even though I know 7/8” will work) and check them every couple of sessions since they’ll eventually vibrate themselves loose.

The hardware in any of those links you posted will work perfectly fine.  Also, allen>philips.  Just sayin
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
With a 1/8 riser 1 inch bolts will do just fine. It‘s normal that the bolts come loose on a new set up because they are not fully embedded in the wood yet so you have to tighten them after the first few sessions or you risk losing one. But it‘s certainly not the one missing bolt that made you fall, unless you actually rolled over the nut. Which might have been the case, it‘s like a pebble. I rest my case.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

yunghungryskater24

• Rep: 0
Appreciate the responses everyone.  I winded up getting the same bones hardware along with, shorty's 1 1/8 and indy 1 1/4, together as they were affordable.  When it arrives I'll stick with the same bones hardware and see if I encounter the same issue again, and if so then I'll try shorty's. 

Also doesn't hurt to have extra hardware laying around. 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I mean, your nut could have fallen off and you unluckily ran it over making you come to a complete stop.

I hope you get your hardware situation figured out and don't be scared to crank it down. Tighten and turn nuts not bolts. I do it criss cross like I'm putting on a spare tire.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
With a 1/8 riser 1 inch bolts will do just fine. It‘s normal that the bolts come loose on a new set up because they are not fully embedded in the wood yet so you have to tighten them after the first few sessions or you risk losing one. But it‘s certainly not the one missing bolt that made you fall, unless you actually rolled over the nut. Which might have been the case, it‘s like a pebble. I rest my case.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
1 inch

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
What made you think you need riser pads, though?
It's a pretty small street deck with relatively small wheels. Not really the kind of setup that warrants risers.