Author Topic: Rochester, New York  (Read 590 times)

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Rochester, New York
« on: November 03, 2021, 06:42:07 PM »
Need your help Pals,

Strong possibility I will be moving to New York to attend the University of Rochester. I am not familiar with the area or New York in general. Are there any neighborhoods you recommend I should look for housing in or areas I should stay away from? Also, should I bring my car with me or just use public transportation? Any insight on Rochester would be greatly appreciated!   

cky enthusiast

Re: Rochester, New York
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 07:21:26 PM »
not from there, partner is from there so i go up a few times a year

krudco is a sick ass shop that deserves your patronage and money. there’s a lot of ledges downtown and if you go on the weekend i think it’s a go but don’t quote me. the city park just opened but it’s kind of washed. there’s a lot of cool diy/crusty stuff in the city and the surrounding area. there’s an indoor park but i never been. the skate scene there is thorough tho. no shortage of rippers and everyone has been nice in my experience

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 07:40:17 PM »
Thank you for sharing Hell Ride,

Definitely will support Krudco when I move there. Would it be alright if you asked your partner of good neighborhoods to live? Would appreciate greatly. A poster named Genesee posted this back in 2012 of his friends video. Looks fun out there...

https://youtu.be/5yUD6uyq_yc

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »
My family on my mother’s side is from Rawrchester but left because it’s an area in decline. Sure you want to attend school there? The weather is miserable and crime is not great.

Wegman’s is the shit though. Go have part time job there and eat there as much as you can afford.

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
Not from Roch but been a few times since I'm from Buffalo. Pastime skateshop and Krudco are good. Lots of spots to skate around the city too. Hopefully someone else could fill you in on housing details. I think @cherry might be from there, I think I remember him mentioning the city.
As for bringing your car there's a ton to see as far as state parks and nature within an hours drive so I would recommend it. Letchworth state park is amazing.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 08:41:41 PM »
GardenSkater,
I have read it's a little rough & run down in certain areas. University Of Rochester offers an accelerated 1 year  program that seems too good to pass up. Regarding Wegmans, just googled. Looks like a fine establishment. Can't wait to try a tasty sub or a pie. 

Paperclip, good looking out! Love hiking so definitely gonna bring my car. Thanks for taking the time to respond gents

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
Check out Pastime Skate Shop. Legit newer shop for a good scene. I think Krudco is still there too. It's been around for a long time. I'm from Syracuse so I can't really speak for the city, but I've taken a few trips there.

They built a decent park in Rochester recently too.

There's a bunch of street spots like Liberty Pole and the stuff on the river. Uhh flatbars everywhere. Idk. I thought I was going to be more helpful but I realize it's been years since I lived upstate.

Take a trip to Syracuse to skate the Everson Museum of Art.

@Paperclip20 Good look on Letchworth.

Also, it'd be best to have a car IMO.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 04:13:49 AM »
GardenSkater,
I have read it's a little rough & run down in certain areas. University Of Rochester offers an accelerated 1 year  program that seems too good to pass up. Regarding Wegmans, just googled. Looks like a fine establishment. Can't wait to try a tasty sub or a pie. 

Paperclip, good looking out! Love hiking so definitely gonna bring my car. Thanks for taking the time to respond gents

I live near the art museum, feel free to dm me!

The u of r has a ton of spots! Bust factor isn’t too high anywhere in the city if u aren’t in a crowd I notice.

Definitely bring your car, Good hiking spots within an hour of the city. If you snowboard there are two small mountains nearby.

We had a warehouse last winter but the space is gone. Supposed to be helping build a new one starting this month!

There’s like a dozen bars that play live music and a few decent record shops if you’re into music. lots of musicians cuz of Eastman

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 04:18:52 AM »
As far as living arrangements the entire north west portion of the city is sketchy.

Most college kids live in the areas known as swillburg or nota. There’s a small area on the west side of downtown named corn hill that’s really nice but expensive. If you’re single and like bars look for an apartment on park ave!!

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 06:38:40 AM »
pile out at Mortalis and Rising Storm in Avon, Other Half in Bloomfield. Fifth Frame has good beer too. Hans Noodle Bar has good pho and BYOB. SEA had good pho too, on the same block.

Bring a car.

tabby weed

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
Can’t speak towards housing, but seconding others who are saying that you’ll probably want a car. Amazing skate city. In addition to the spots others have mentioned, MLK Park and the surrounding area has tons of fun stuff to skate. Also, look up garbage plates.

Have A Nice Great

• Rep: 3
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »
Buffalo here but I get up to Rochester very often. Krudco is sick and a great new boutiquey skater owned shop called Pastime opened in the park ave area. Can’t speak much to housing, but it seems like park ave has a lot of shops/restaurants and a very nice vibe. Roc city is a big new skatepark that recently opened, I haven’t been but people say great things about it. Breaking Free is an indoor park in Rochester as well. Never been but will definitely hit it up during the colder months. Buffalo is only about a 40 minute drive as well. Like others have said, lots of great food around roch— check out dogtown.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »
thirding the garbage plates

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 01:30:52 PM »
Wow you guys rule. Appreciate greatly. After reading everything, definitely stoked to live in Rochester if I get accepted. The program starts in May 2022 so be a nice transition to get there during the warm months. Looking forward to checking out all your suggestions. Thank you so much!   

animalflesh

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 05:02:32 AM »
McCanns Meats