Author Topic: FrankenTrucking  (Read 1055 times)

Frank and Fred

FrankenTrucking
« on: November 06, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
This has likely been covered but what is everyone's experience mix matching different stage trucks, indy in particular?

Just had a session on my Stage 8 146s and I'm over the axle slip.  My friend just gifted me some Stage 11 159s... so I decided to put the Stage 11 hangers on the Stage 8 baseplates. The main benefit is I can keep the Krux DL kingpins locked in place. Anyway, the grind clearance is insane and a quick push around the block indicates they turn pretty damn nice...

Anyone else experience any pros and cons of mix-matching stages?

FrozenIndustries

Re: FrankenTrucking
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 04:09:51 PM »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 05:28:58 PM »
I recall some people saying they don't work at all, but any that I have tried definitely work.

The only thing to note is the lower hanger, especially on the 9 and 10 will give less kingpin clearance than the older or newer versions, but can be sorted if run on inverted or grinded down kingpins.

There are stages 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 in my lot and although I have not played mix and match with all of them, I have tried a few options just to see.

For all those who are unwilling or yet to try current stage 11s, they really do turn and skate so much better than all the older versions, but as said, with the round hole they are not so good to convert to the other kingpin version, which is why i use an angle grinder on the kingpin head which makes them work really well.

I have almost all the older ones only set up on cruisers with soft or cut down stock bushings so they are really turny on the setups I have them on.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 06:47:27 PM »
Last winter I put my tih thence hangers onto some Indy stage 7 base plates. It worked pretty well as the geometry of both trucks being similar.

SharkJohnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 11:37:59 PM »
its well known in norcal that John Cardiel used to ride indy baseplates with orion hangers

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 06:16:05 AM »
I have a set of Indy stage V hangers on ace plates. The mounting holes on the plates are pretty wallowed out so I’m going to try the hangers on some stage 11 plates that the hangers are about done on next.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 09:49:40 AM »
My Franken Indys (Stage 8 plates/ Stage 11 Hangers) keep the same Wheelbase as a regular stage 11s. Most kingpin clearance on any truck I've had with the Krux DLs...

Kind of  sexy looking truck and will keep me going until the Ace 8.75s drop.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »
My Franken Indys (Stage 8 plates/ Stage 11 Hangers) keep the same Wheelbase as a regular stage 11s. Most kingpin clearance on any truck I've had with the Krux DLs...

Kind of  sexy looking truck and will keep me going until the Ace 8.75s drop.

Why stage 8 plates? Last of the hex recess?

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 11:02:31 PM »
I'm currently on Theeve v3 hangers on Ace Classic baseplates. The original v1 Theeve's were developed on Ace plates, so I assumed it would work. It does work, but looking at it, it's like the pivot is too long, or the angle is off or something, so the yoke doesn't line up with the bushings just right. I guess Theeve's geometry actually changed a bit since v1 other than the hanger shape. Did my longest crooked grinds ever on this setup last night though, so it's pinch perfect for me.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 01:29:44 AM »
My buddy back home is currently riding Indy stage 11 hollow hangers on some Krux 4 forged baseplates.
Every time I look at his trucks I want to throw up.
He always rides the jankiest setups and it’s not like he can’t afford a better kit, dude has money. Chipped board, missing bolts, blown out bushings, 40mm worn down wheels… you call it. He got the Indy hollows by mistake cause in fact he wanted the forged hollows, so they felt too high for him at 55mm high. That’s why he made the Frankenstein truck which is a bit lower and he says it’s working for him, dunno how…  ???

Found a clip I had of his set-up from 2 years ago, so you understand what I’m talking about when I say janky:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 04:44:37 AM »
Back in the days Ace baseplates were very soft and I used to break lots of them. I then used indy baseplates with ace hangers.
Nowadays the ace baseplate seems to be a lot more stable so I stopped mixing both brands

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »
I've used stage 7 and 11 hangers in Ace plates and it worked well.

@frankandfred how easy was it to get the nut into the stage 8 plates? I had to basically hammer it up into stage 7 plates which just ruined the nut.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »
Just pushed it in with my thumb and then cranked the kingpin down to make it snug and backed off to appropriate looseness.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
Man, I swear the hole in stage 7's is the same as the 8's and I could not for the life of me get it up in there that easily. Thanks man.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 03:28:04 PM »
I half expected this thread to be boards with one Krux and one Tensor

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 07:06:24 AM »
Man, I swear the hole in stage 7's is the same as the 8's and I could not for the life of me get it up in there that easily. Thanks man.

I know sometimes a tiny bit of angle grinding or even left over grip tape just to take the edges of a bit, and I mean just a bit, and things like kingpins and or kingpin inverted assembly nuts fit in so much better.

The last thing I want to be doing is hammering anything in or out of a baseplate, but as you said, people have often wrecked a kingpin, nut or broken baseplates trying to get things in or out.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.