Author Topic: How Tight Should Mounting Nuts Be?  (Read 626 times)

yunghungryskater24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
How Tight Should Mounting Nuts Be?
« on: November 05, 2021, 07:36:33 PM »
Hardware just arrived, and using the 1" in bolts.  Was missing one screw and nut, so I replaced them successfully with the skate tool.  But I did replace it with quite the tightness, the nut can't go any tighter.  I know that the screws are supposed to be flush with the deck, but idk it's kind of hard to tell, some screws are slightly further down but nothing crazy. 

Is it best I tighten the rest of the mounting nuts further, till they can't tighten much more?  They can go tighter currently.

Something thats been bothering me is I keep getting this weird vibration and clank, like something is loose whenever I pick up and swing my board up and back down, slowly.  This is normal for trucks and wheels as you keep skating, but I know this is hardware related. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 07:49:24 PM by yunghungryskater24 »

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
Re: How Tight Should Mounting Nuts Be?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 04:11:01 AM »
You shouldn't really go any tighter than flush with the top ply, its actually really easy to tell all you have to do is run your finger over it, if your'e sinking the top of the bolt into the plys thats a bad move you are way more likely to snap your board doing that.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 04:20:10 AM »
I always just go as tight as they will go.

Did you notice the holes on your trucks were stretched out before you set them up? If they are they might move back n forth and no matter of tightening will fix it. Otherwise could be pivot cup, axles, kingpin making the clank noise.

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
check your pivot cup