Author Topic: do you have hardware pride  (Read 5558 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
Re: do you have hardware pride
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
7/8th Allen.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mother Goose.

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2021, 07:41:00 PM »
Halos to Upful to Billy’s nuts now Nutass

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »
Bought some Bender hardware within the past year and it’s cool. It works. All to say I’ll probably stick with Bender or another small brand moving forward.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
Anyone remember Lomavista hardware from kayo? It never launched, but they had a website. It was supposed to work somehow work with just a screwdriver

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2021, 09:07:47 PM »
Anyone remember Lomavista hardware from kayo? It never launched, but they had a website. It was supposed to work somehow work with just a screwdriver

I used to order $38 Expedition decks from that site my senior year of college.

I also take pride in never having skated any decks with the Innerlock hardware technology.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2021, 09:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Randoms or death
[close]

I used to use a skull one as a directional bolt.

Classic. I had the birdman, label, skull, pentagram and aliens at one time but gave away the birdman and someone stole the board with the label flames. That one makes me the most sad

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2021, 11:55:38 PM »
Anything except hardies

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2021, 12:44:21 AM »
Rode nothing but Shorty’s original 1” phillips for 22 years. Just grabbed a pair of the Biggest Little a few months back

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2021, 02:14:34 AM »
Every time this gets bumped my first thought is that it’s a ten yard fight appreciation thread.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

IpathCats

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2021, 05:41:10 AM »
U sound like a philips guy

*channels inner bostonian*

Wha' doyawanna fide aboud it?

I don't get the allen hype. People say the don't bakc out as easily? Idk how the shape on top of the bolt would affect that. I like philips because i usually have one nearby or can get one easily. Also, I hate fresh looking hardware. I usually buy 7/8 or 1" shorty's philips, last time they only had silverados, i literally painted the silver ones black on top and roughed them all up with sandpaper. They all look the same after skating for a month. A dull, scuffed grey metal color...... perfect.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2021, 05:57:18 AM »
I don't think I'm capable of "hardware pride", but I prefer allen over Phillips.

I will say Indy hardware has lil' iron crosses on the tops of each bolt which I didn't notice til they wore down a bit. Don't want to start that debate again but I'll just say I find that distracting so the only hardware I avoid now is Indy.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2021, 06:02:14 AM »
Expand Quote
U sound like a philips guy
[close]

*channels inner bostonian*

Wha' doyawanna fide aboud it?

I don't get the allen hype. People say the don't bakc out as easily? Idk how the shape on top of the bolt would affect that. I like philips because i usually have one nearby or can get one easily. Also, I hate fresh looking hardware. I usually buy 7/8 or 1" shorty's philips, last time they only had silverados, i literally painted the silver ones black on top and roughed them all up with sandpaper. They all look the same after skating for a month. A dull, scuffed grey metal color...... perfect.

I think the benefit of allen's is the tops are pretty much strip proof. Phillips tops are more easily bent out of shape the more you tighten/loosen them. The contact area you're putting torque on with a phillips is more prone to this because it's simply not as solid; geometrically sound. That's really the only reason I prefer allen.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:11:50 AM by Mariatorresflores »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2021, 06:02:58 AM »
I don’t like the slim nuts on shorty’s.  I like it when the tool/wrench stays on the nut and doesn’t slip off if I lose complete concentration for a nanosecond.  And philips head can take its ball and go home because homie don’t play that either.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

IpathCats

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2021, 06:08:50 AM »
I don’t like the slim nuts on shorty’s.  I like it when the tool/wrench stays on the nut and doesn’t slip off if I lose complete concentration for a nanosecond.  And philips head can take its ball and go home because homie don’t play that either.

Yea, the slim nuts can be annoying, I'll swap them for regular ones if i have some with good nylock left laying around.

I think the benefit of allen's is the tops are pretty much strip proof. Phillips tops are more easily bent out of shape the more you tighten/loosen them. That's really the only reason I prefer allen.

Yea, I get that, but i feel the pro of regular philips screwdrivers being much more common than a specific size allen key outweighs that, to me anyways. Just take your time and use good force, you wont strip the philips for a long time, and when you do, its usually time for new ones anyways.

somefucker

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2021, 06:14:16 AM »
only benefit of phillips is being common/most people have the tool.

used to ride allen key hardware believing it had less friction on my shoes? nobody ever had the tool and i couldn't be fucked to bring a tool with me everywhere.

riding a mishmosh of random hardware from a couple completes

mariolopez

• Rep: -22
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2021, 06:15:52 AM »
hardies only

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 91
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2021, 06:20:20 AM »
Ride whatever, if it works then use it.

Only thing I can't do is have two different lengths or a hodgepodge of phillips and allen hardware in my setup.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2021, 06:21:27 AM »
Phillips only, I never owned a set of allen in my life. I use Indy bolts, have had the same set for about 3 years, never had problems with them, and I go through boards like crazy. Only thing is that I lost one of them, so now I run 7 bolts, 4 in the front and 3 in the back.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2021, 06:24:16 AM »
When you buy allen hardware, they literally give you the wrench.  Just hold on to that wrench.  Put one in your wallet or keychain.  You manage to hold on to other small, metal things: house keys, jewelry, coins.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

somefucker

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2021, 06:25:35 AM »
When you buy allen hardware, they literally give you the wrench.  Just hold on to that wrench.  Put one in your wallet or keychain.  You manage to hold on to other small, metal things: house keys, jewelry, coins.

ok yeah but....you ever see an allen key that came with your bolts that you could put on a keychain? me either. that being said i'm sure it exists but ffs lets be practical, who tf skates with their allen key in their wallet on their person?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »
I’ve been rocking the same hardware for years from this Canadian company called Plains, and they haven’t stripped yet.

The company’s been dead for close to 5 years yet I haven’t needed new hardware since.

Got some Diamond hardware on another set up, seems fine.

Only requirement is it has to be Allen for me.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2021, 06:31:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ok yeah but....you ever see an allen key that came with your bolts that you could put on a keychain? me either. that being said i'm sure it exists but ffs lets be practical, who tf skates with their allen key in their wallet on their person?

I don’t do either of those, Im a normal person.  Im just trying to reach out to these philips people that act like they wouldn’t be able to skate without having 9 philips head screwdrivers within a 100ft radius.  It’s like a psychological delusion.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2021, 06:34:06 AM »
Bronze 56K all day baby. Phillips only.

somefucker

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2021, 06:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t do either of those, Im a normal person.  Im just trying to reach out to these philips people that act like they wouldn’t be able to skate without having 9 philips head screwdrivers within a 100ft radius.  It’s like a psychological delusion.

bet more people would say they had a screwdriver or something flat as opposed to some hexagonal key.... and that's #FACTS

but in all seriousness allen keys are a harder find.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2021, 06:41:50 AM »
Knowgood Hardware <3  rip

might have to become part of the HARDIES GANG
ONTARIO CANADA

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2021, 06:59:01 AM »
I've had the same 7 bolts for probably 20 years. Stripped one maybe 12 years ago and never got around to replacing it.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2021, 07:02:04 AM »
I've got two sets of titanium theeve allen heads that are my favorites. That's as proud as I get.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2021, 07:40:08 AM »
I can't fucking stand Nicky Diamond and the whole "Diamond Life" persona.

Having said that I almost exclusively ride diamond 7/8 allen bolts. I hated on them for year because of the persona thing, then I tried a set because nothing else was available at the shop in 7/8 allen and they worked really well, rarely backed out/loosened when riding rough surfaces.

I would never own up to it in person, I also never ride the colored bolt that comes in the pack so no one will ever know.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »
Bronze allen only

IpathCats

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2021, 07:46:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Availability of tools VS strip-ability of bolts. It's really not that hard to see the argument for either. I'm more likely to forget an allen key than I am to fuck up screwing in a philips head, so its a pretty easy choice for me.