Author Topic: BPSW Era  (Read 3871 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
BPSW Era
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:16:49 AM »
I actually hated this era at the beginning, but then it ended up becoming my favorite. I thought skating so slow was lame and it was all about flips and nothing else. But then I think I started liking learning new shit and all the switch stuff too. Some goofy ass gear aside, I liked that new shit was going down that seemed really creative to me. Even though we were rolling super slow.

Guy, Rudy & the Gav

Guy focusing

Sanchez

Kelch

Jason Rogers

Lotti

Mullen

Ocean Howell

Ternasky, Shef & the Rickoo

Sal

Shef

Frank and Fred

Re: BPSW Era
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
I'm with you but it was a necessary era. I know I learned the bulk of my flat ground tricks at that time. Despite how crappy deck quality was the shapes were cool.

Also some cool shit went down and some made it look very good. Case in point...

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »
The sickest era. New trends popped up over night and you never knew what was next. Exciting.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
Salman and Ray made this era look the best.

Fhk

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »

The undisputed king of bpsw.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »
Love me some Simon Evans BPSW

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »
I don't really fuck with Insta but I have an account that I use pretty much exclusively to bookmark and ogle setup pics (mostly BPSW stuff).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1U2Mj5l0A5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 06:15:32 PM »
I've got some boardycakes 44s myself!

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 06:24:31 PM »

How do they roll?

I bought a used set of Bench Warmers 48.5 / 99a from Off and they are the slowest wheels I ever tried. I think they are too soft/wide. Just curious as I am not ready to give up on a goofy boy set up.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
I'm all about that era because I grew up on a steady diet of love child and the firm's la buena vida in my formative years!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
50mm Lil smokie F4s are the smallest wheel I'll ever purchase again. I'm glad boardycakes exist and gives you guys options but I can never go back to that... 

Also my Ben Davis's are size 36 out of necessity now not for intentional sag. There, I said it.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 03:45:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do they roll?

I bought a used set of Bench Warmers 48.5 / 99a from Off and they are the slowest wheels I ever tried. I think they are too soft/wide. Just curious as I am not ready to give up on a goofy boy set up.

I haven't used them yet. I'm still using spitfire 48s and surprisingly they handle pretty well. Haven't been pitched from a rock.... yet

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 07:11:32 AM »
I want to be all in on Boardy Cakes so bad...they're a local company and I love the look of all their stuff...but I know that nothing can compare to F4s, particularly when they're so small. I have 50mm F4 classics now, and before I had 51mm F4 tablets that I skated down to 45mm.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »
The BPSW era felt so long when you were in it but I have to wonder when did it begin and end?

I started HS in the Fall of 92’ and BPSW was raging.

By the Fall of 93’ it was done. I didn’t skate in 91’-92’ school year and all the skaters were in HS, so I don’t know for certain what video set it off.

I just watched Da Deal is Dead and if anyone can find a more illegal video I would be surprised. I would loop Rothdigga in because he is really a BPSW historian but I feel like I summon him too frequently to speak about that period.

I’ll leave a link here for your viewing pleasure. I think @silhouette is the modern day Julio De La Cruz and I mean that as a compliment. Wonder if he ever saw this video…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nbJAWQ84NkU

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 09:17:29 PM »
I skated from '87 into the BPSW era - but I could really only swing the SW.  I think the smallest I bought was around 42 and I skated them down. 

I thought the big pants were ridiculous.  A buddy I skated with every day went full 42 dickies with shoelace belts and started learning pressure flips.  I kept my normal pants, learned shove it late flips instead,  went to college and pretty much quit skating the next year.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 03:49:19 AM »
I just watched Da Deal is Dead and if anyone can find a more illegal video I would be surprised. I would loop Rothdigga in because he is really a BPSW historian but I feel like I summon him too frequently to speak about that period.

I’ll leave a link here for your viewing pleasure. I think @silhouette is the modern day Julio De La Cruz and I mean that as a compliment. Wonder if he ever saw this video…

Made my morning that you would send me that video as I did grow up on it and all the New Deal videos. Back in the early Piss Drunx days, I couldn't relate to that movement and while most everyone else was busy watching Baker 3 I was downloading every late 80's, early 90's videos I could find in search of something that would resonate with me personally as more authentic. H-Street, 101, post-Peralta Powell, Planet Earth, the first Birdhouse videos too, all that fun stuff and also tons of obscure local videos I would find in the Soulseek/early YouTube days. There was a (long gone) point in time when I could actually redo all of Julio's part in Da Deal, minus the varial triple flip and that one flip using a string that never interested me as maneuvers and so I never even tried them, but the rest I used to pick apart and dabble in. I considered doing it for a bit just for the sake of the concept before coming to the conclusion that no, refilming someone else's part would be wack as fuck. I've exchanged with Julio a few quick times before on social, he runs the Neighborhood Skateboards IG. Ron Knigge is super friendly too.

I always preferred 1281 and Useless Wooden Toys over Da Deal I think. The New Deal video called Whatever came out a year after Da Deal and may or may not have been even more illegal, but I always liked it myself and all those videos I still rewatch from time to time. Was a fan of the aesthetic and Andy Howell's art in general for years, so you really coined me there.

Quick selection of personal favorite video parts from the era; would definitely include Chris Hall and Armando Barajas parts if YouTube had them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJDkhBGCWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLf9dcXBnhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUchxkciL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_VxKXTQ6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJepeT4WAU

And least we forget, Animal Farm, entirely edited to the Star Wars soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CorWsfCZ4wE
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:56:29 AM by silhouette »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 04:23:56 AM »
I had the 1992 Chris Hall everslick from Underworld Element. One of my favorite graphics ever.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 06:41:16 AM »
Dumb story but I started wearing "extra" baggy pants in fall of 1990, to be able to move legs better for skating. By extra, I mean... maybe 2-3 waist sizes too big. Everyone gave me shit for it but I didn't care. I usually got ye olde "Dewd it loox like u shit ur pance". Kept this up through 1991, but as I mentioned in other threads - I skated less in 1991 due to the hardcore band I was in becoming a priority (thus I didn't see Video Days until later).

Fast forward to 1992, I'm in a class with 3 of my old skate buddies and they are telling me we should skate again. Their pants are huge. I had no idea that the pants had gotten this way until then, and they showed me New Deal & Questionable videos. These guys were like waist 29 guys wearing waist 42 pants. Hella cool guys. Anyway, I maxed out at waist 34 at this time. I could not commit to bigger. I liked the creativity of this gear though. These guys would go to thrift stores - choose pants by waist size then cut off the bottoms. I did cut mine off, but waist 34. Also funny to me: I learned pressure flips and I was both satisfied and disgusted with myself at the same time. I was def. hyped on double flips though.

So my senior year (fall 93- summer 94), these guys had slimmed down to the standard baggy mid 90s gear. Like baggy but not out of control. The next generation of kids (that were in 9th grade at this time) definitely kept up the big pants that year. And my friend Ryan - it almost made him get even more baggy pants.  Dude had pants so big that we got in them together to make our dudes laugh. He was rocking extra huge tees, huge pants, Pumas and tiny wheels AT LEAST through 1994. That was the last that I saw of it around here though. In hindsight, Ryan had told me that 1992 was his favorite era and I understand trying to hang onto something! All of my skate friends besides Ryan in 1994 had 7.5 blanks, Venture Lows, smallish wheels and Adidas Superstars. I was all about Alien Workshop though. I did a lot of acid and was convinced aliens were coming

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2021, 01:40:48 PM »
Dumb story but I started wearing "extra" baggy pants in fall of 1990, to be able to move legs better for skating. By extra, I mean... maybe 2-3 waist sizes too big. Everyone gave me shit for it but I didn't care. I usually got ye olde "Dewd it loox like u shit ur pance". Kept this up through 1991, but as I mentioned in other threads - I skated less in 1991 due to the hardcore band I was in becoming a priority (thus I didn't see Video Days until later).

Fast forward to 1992, I'm in a class with 3 of my old skate buddies and they are telling me we should skate again. Their pants are huge. I had no idea that the pants had gotten this way until then, and they showed me New Deal & Questionable videos. These guys were like waist 29 guys wearing waist 42 pants. Hella cool guys. Anyway, I maxed out at waist 34 at this time. I could not commit to bigger. I liked the creativity of this gear though. These guys would go to thrift stores - choose pants by waist size then cut off the bottoms. I did cut mine off, but waist 34. Also funny to me: I learned pressure flips and I was both satisfied and disgusted with myself at the same time. I was def. hyped on double flips though.

So my senior year (fall 93- summer 94), these guys had slimmed down to the standard baggy mid 90s gear. Like baggy but not out of control. The next generation of kids (that were in 9th grade at this time) definitely kept up the big pants that year. And my friend Ryan - it almost made him get even more baggy pants.  Dude had pants so big that we got in them together to make our dudes laugh. He was rocking extra huge tees, huge pants, Pumas and tiny wheels AT LEAST through 1994. That was the last that I saw of it around here though. In hindsight, Ryan had told me that 1992 was his favorite era and I understand trying to hang onto something! All of my skate friends besides Ryan in 1994 had 7.5 blanks, Venture Lows, smallish wheels and Adidas Superstars. I was all about Alien Workshop though. I did a lot of acid and was convinced aliens were coming.

Eating acid, skating, and looking for aliens could probably sum up a summer of my teens.
An older skater who was 6'2" gave me his old Blind Jeans because he thought they were too baggy, so as a tiny 13 year old with maybe a 28 waist max they were gigantic on me and I loved them.
I remember putting a brand new Thrasher magazine in the front pocket and realizing that I didn't even have to roll or fold  it because my pants were that big.
I was psyched on that time with crazy gear right before everyone wore a white tee, blue jeans, and rode a blank board.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
I didn’t even think EE1 existed but here it is…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PBltlqnMnBA

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 03:07:01 AM »
Said this eras videos didnt really hold up well in another thread which I stand by but understand why it wasn't appreciated by fans of this period.
To me its a weird time because I relived it but from 00-02(blending into 03). Had plan b questionable, virtual reality and second hand smoke, girl goldfish and world love child. Bought them for cheap off some older skaters who were basically like oh you can have these they're old and kinda shit. Guess it was too recent for nostalgia to set in.
Skate gear was crazy expensive in Aus at the time so I'd wear way oversized King gee work pants, pumas/airwalks/humans (airwalks rip offs) from discount shoe warehouse. Get blank boards and ride my wheels until they were nothing so I kinda related to what the guys in the videos looked like.

Anyway enough blah blahing. Questions for those who were there during this time. If you wanted bigger wheels, non egg board etc was that even an option or was everything just gone? Would you still occasionally see groups of skaters that were like 80s steez doing boneless on monster boards or did they just vanish like the dinosaurs?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 03:01:13 PM »
Said this eras videos didnt really hold up well in another thread which I stand by but understand why it wasn't appreciated by fans of this period.
To me its a weird time because I relived it but from 00-02(blending into 03). Had plan b questionable, virtual reality and second hand smoke, girl goldfish and world love child. Bought them for cheap off some older skaters who were basically like oh you can have these they're old and kinda shit. Guess it was too recent for nostalgia to set in.
Skate gear was crazy expensive in Aus at the time so I'd wear way oversized King gee work pants, pumas/airwalks/humans (airwalks rip offs) from discount shoe warehouse. Get blank boards and ride my wheels until they were nothing so I kinda related to what the guys in the videos looked like.

Anyway enough blah blahing. Questions for those who were there during this time. If you wanted bigger wheels, non egg board etc was that even an option or was everything just gone? Would you still occasionally see groups of skaters that were like 80s steez doing boneless on monster boards or did they just vanish like the dinosaurs?

From 92’ on you could only purchase old skool set ups from skate store dead stock. One time around 95’ we had a bunch of skate ramps set up at the local spot and a 20 something old skool skater showed up and began ripping the launch ramp. He didn’t speak to us and we didn’t speak to him. It was almost like we had nothing in common. It’s cool that skating now takes on the entire 45 years or whatever of history. I credit Dog Town and the Z Boys for a lot of gap bridging. I remember learning drop knee turns after that movie and gettin’ low was not accepted before that movie hit.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 06:11:48 AM »
glad i went thru the BPSW era.. up til' early 1995..then i started riding those toothpick 7.5 boards til 2007/2008 ish.. 1281 &  Da Deal Is Dead was my go to.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 06:06:51 AM »
Dang, def watching this when I get home. Love seeing stuff from then that I've never seen before

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »
Can't believe the color video hasn't been mentioned.  Wray and KM were doing bpsw with speed and style. Got me back into skateboarding after a year hiatus. 
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

dunc

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 05:34:31 PM »
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

dunc

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
http://youtu.be/O3G-vRbrgg8

A close second. 

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »
http://youtu.be/O3G-vRbrgg8

A close second.

2 incredible video parts
the Jeremy Wray downhill school high speed line used to make me so anxious and then nauseas by the kickflip at the end