Author Topic: Supplements/Vitamins  (Read 1769 times)

al_cvbrera

Supplements/Vitamins
« on: June 28, 2021, 02:34:00 PM »
What supplements do you guys take? As I’m sure we’re all aware, skateboarding isn’t easy on the body.

Currently I take:
Glucosamine with Chondroitin
Fish oil
Daily vitamins
protein powder

i’m also planning to get BCAA powder for quicker muscle recovery soon too.

If there are any supplements that you guys take that have helped you guys out, leave it down below :)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: Supplements/Vitamins
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 04:10:57 AM »
I've done fish oil before and being tall I feel like it did help with joint pain fairly well.
I also do a protein powder/shake per day.

Any input on the glucosamine? I've heard of it but am not sure what the intended purpose is.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 05:36:46 AM »
Rhodiola Rosea for when i'm fatigued/sore etc.

Pea Protein

Circumin for inflammation

Magnesium

Zinc

al_cvbrera

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:14:23 AM »
I've done fish oil before and being tall I feel like it did help with joint pain fairly well.
I also do a protein powder/shake per day.

Any input on the glucosamine? I've heard of it but am not sure what the intended purpose is.
it helps with joint + cartilage strength/regeneration. i've noticed it helps alot. i went stretches where i skated almost everyday for like 3 weeks on end since i've been taking it nfs

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 07:14:59 AM »
Rhodiola Rosea for when i'm fatigued/sore etc.

Pea Protein

Circumin for inflammation

Magnesium

Zinc
ooh, i'll look into circumin soon. sounds exactly like what i need

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
Magnesium, zinc, glucosamine

Have had the bcaa stuff before when in regular gym routine I’m sure it doesn’t hurt but just don’t get any of that pre workout shit

I also take ibuprofen randomly just for swelling when I had big day at work

Beroccas sometimes and I was getting this shit called lions mane and putting it in coffees, funny taste but felt like it gave me extra focus sort of thing
listen to cosmic psychos

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
damn i dont really mess with any of that stuff;

i make sure i eat a fat stack of spinach every day
bowl of berries (raspberry + blueberryies usually)
some meat / fish to make sure i am getting enough protein
some good whole grain bread for fibre
usually try to throw in some carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, or just any other kind of raw veggie i can that i like just for some more nutrients and stuff

is there anything that i am severely lacking from my diet?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 05:04:44 PM »
Not sure Rawb. Diet sounds pretty solid.

Ashwagandha helps me with anxiety to a noticeable degree.  I like to take it first thing in the morning before I even start working so that it keeps me from getting unnecessarily wound up.  Not very expensive either.

https://www.instacart.com/landing?product_id=17282731&retailer_id=290&region_id=3274145577&utm_medium=sem_shopping&utm_source=instacart_google&utm_campaign=ad_demand_shopping_rp_vons&utm_content=accountid-8145171519_campaignid-11453730716_adgroupid-117541072728_device-c&gclid=CjwKCAjwieuGBhAsEiwA1Ly_nfo_OQ214Lw-n5OYvGi51yTv8Gw2sutHL5qLXDUCUbUdu76oSAyI3RoCmCgQAvD_BwE

Alpha brain works okay, but it is pretty expensive so I rarely use it.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
What kind of skating are you doing that you need supplements?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 01:18:33 AM »
I take Magnesium after too much Alkohol or when my muscles cramp up. That‘s it.

I have had my blood checked recently. The numbers are good.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »
What kind of skating are you doing that you need supplements?
just skating man. street, transition, whatever. i just wanna be healthy and not fall into that old stigma that skaters are just druggies that dont take care of themselves. i love skating and i want to skate for as long as my body will allow me to.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 02:50:47 AM »
What supplements do you guys take? As I’m sure we’re all aware, skateboarding isn’t easy on the body.

Currently I take:
Glucosamine with Chondroitin
Fish oil
Daily vitamins
protein powder

i’m also planning to get BCAA powder for quicker muscle recovery soon too.

If there are any supplements that you guys take that have helped you guys out, leave it down below :)

Do you do the fish oil capsils or the actual oils?  I;ve done the fish oil on and off.  Never really felt an impact.  Does anyone have an opinion on apple cider vinigar?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 04:28:13 AM »

usually try to throw in some carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, or just any other kind of raw veggie i can that i like just for some more nutrients and stuff

Only thing I can think of that you didn't list is some healthy fats. Nuts, avocado etc.

How's your cooking? Spices and herbs are essential. Cloves, ginger, tumeric, thyme ,oregano.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 06:16:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Only thing I can think of that you didn't list is some healthy fats. Nuts, avocado etc.

How's your cooking? Spices and herbs are essential. Cloves, ginger, tumeric, thyme ,oregano.

Sounds like your nutrition is on point. On most days I have a similar diet. I also like to eat yoghurt and kefir pretty much daily. It tastes great and is supposed to be good for gut health I.e. helps with mental wellness and inflammation.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »
ample h2O, clean eating, and adequate sleep do a lot of work, a lot... but I still take some stuff

ashwaganda capsules are great if you're a high stress/anxious person. as an adaptogen they help bring your adrenal levels back to a place of function if you've been on the edge or in fight or flight zone

I take these things called formula 303 most nights before bed and if I'm nervous with a presentation or something. they're Passion flower, valerian, and magnesium. they do wonders for sleep, physical tension, and anxiety. I'll say it again and again, they bring the benefits of benzos but don't get you high or anything like that. wonderful, low key muscle relaxer

I usually drink a shake with a fermented plant protein powder, PB2 peanut butter powder, reishi, cordyceps, and lions mane mushroom mycelium powders, and 1.5 frozen bananas, rice drink, and water.

I also microdose psilocybin, .3g every 3 days. I take 2.5mg full spectrum, ice hash based THC candy 2x/day, every day. the psilocybin dose has been great and is enjoyable when I'm taking it, the THC microdose is great for the body and mind.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

wilk

• Rep: -2
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 07:26:03 PM »
I just do a one daily from Walmart called "Alive!" It has a bunch of good stuff in it. That and I only drink water, except on special occasions. Like iusedtoskatemore said it goes a long way, staying hydrated and good sleep. Also, this is kind of off topic, but I'm a big proponent for excercise...and not on no "jock" shit. I don't think skaters really understand the importance of excercise and stretching outside of actually skating, so I do that as well...and have since leaving the military, it's super important as you get older. Just jogging and calisthenics, no gym necessary.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
I’ve mentioned this before but I sip an “intra-workout” supplement while I skate. It’s carbs and other stuff, but keeps me from getting the shakes and feeling dog tired during sessions. The stuff I drink is called in-kaged.

I’m 45 and just retired after 20+ years in the military. So yes, diet and exercise is vital. I do eat a banana and drink plenty of water before the session, as well as stretch, pray for a good session, etc.

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
Been trying to lose 100 pounds this year. Lost 30 so far

I started tracking my food intake with the myfitnesspal app and found that I eat twice the daily amount of fiber and sodium without even trying. I wondered why I drink so much water.

I lay out in the sun for 20 minutes a day for vitamin D. I'm slathered in sunscreen when I skate

I put protein powder and creatine in my morning iced coffee. I try to get 200g of protein a day and come close sometimes. I can kill any craving with a protein shake

Been plant based for most of my life so I take B12 omega 3 and d3. I take biotin to help process carbs and my nails love me for it

I take selenium for weight loss and melatonin for sleep I get 8 to nine hours a night

Aminos EAA's and BCAA's during or after a workout

Now I do whatever Dr. Huberman says so I'm sure everything that I'm doing now will change

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2023, 12:17:36 PM »
Save money by getting your blood values checked regularly. I do that at least twice a year. If anything is too low or too high, change your diet. Don't do it for no reason. Everybody should do that anyway, found out I had some thyroid hormone imbalance that way. Cholesterol is perfect though, always nice to see. Sometimes I'm a bit low on vitamin D and B12, so that's what I supplement

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2024, 03:20:24 PM »
Even though the thread is from a couple of years ago, the importance of supplements and vitamins in maintaining overall health and supporting physically demanding activities like skateboarding remains timeless. It's impressive to see that you've been proactive in taking Glucosamine, Fish oil, daily vitamins, and protein powder to support your body.
In addition to your existing regimen, considering the most effective liquid collagen supplements could be a valuable step. Collagen is essential for joint health, muscle recovery, and even skin health. Exploring these newer supplement options could offer you additional benefits in your skateboarding journey.

Been fucking with collagen for a min when I learned how essential of a protein it is for your body, and that you produce less of it starting in your 30s which keeps diminishing over time.  I just get the powder form at my local grocer and seems to do the trick.

Also, I take a daily with a small side hit of Vit D, Zinc, and K2.  I have a thing that makes me more prone to developing plaques, strokes, heart disease.  Calcium is like a binding agent that helps plaque form in your veins.  K2 with Vit D helps direct calcium into your bones rather than chill out in your bloodstream and potentially cause trouble. 

I think I got that right, but make sure you do your own research.

Crust

• Rep: 40
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2024, 03:26:17 AM »
Save money by getting your blood values checked regularly. I do that at least twice a year. If anything is too low or too high, change your diet. Don't do it for no reason. Everybody should do that anyway, found out I had some thyroid hormone imbalance that way. Cholesterol is perfect though, always nice to see. Sometimes I'm a bit low on vitamin D and B12, so that's what I supplement

Exactly this! Such a great point! I learned this week I've a deficiency in B12 also, so I'm fine-tuning my diet and supplementing for that deficit.

Regardless though, I take creatine everyday as there is an abundance of data advocating it for improved physical performance, recovery, memory and it can combat depression.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2024, 01:56:44 PM »
I swear Creatine helps me recover faster.
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • sup dog
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 06:33:03 PM »
I started taking Bloom Super Greens… I don’t eat enough vegetables so it helps with energy levels and general feeling good.

I wanted to try the AG-1 because Nine Club support, and I read good reviews of it. But it’s like 80-90 bucks for a 30 day supply :(

Bloom is like 35-40 dollars for 30 day supply. And a 60 day is 60-70$

I wanna try the glucosamine for joints, but I’m doing okay so far.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 469
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2024, 07:57:56 AM »
Mega Magnesium Complex
Turmeric Supreme
Super Lysine
Food-Sourced Multi (the brand rotates between a couple different ones)
Ultimate Omega
Refrigerated Probiotics (the brand changes between Solray and my local health food stores brand)

I also take 2 folic acid every day, but that's more related to my immunosuppressants.

Been wanting to try AG or something similar as well, Bloom sounds like a good option, I'll have to look into it.

Supplements get expensive though, I'm probably in at around $150/month.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"