Author Topic: Independent Stage 8 and their kingpins  (Read 621 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
Independent Stage 8 and their kingpins
« on: November 10, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »
I can't find anything to prove myself right or wrong on this, but I believe I had some stage 8's (RIGHT before they went to stage 9) that had those black kingpins that are the standard ever since. I know the last 2 pairs of 8's I had with silver kingpins... broke. But I swear I had a pair of 8's with that black kingpin. Anyone keep up with this kind of tomfoolery? It was also strange to me that I had no issues with those old kingpins until the last 2 sets.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Independent Stage 8 and their kingpins
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »
I can't find anything to prove myself right or wrong on this, but I believe I had some stage 8's (RIGHT before they went to stage 9) that had those black kingpins that are the standard ever since. I know the last 2 pairs of 8's I had with silver kingpins... broke. But I swear I had a pair of 8's with that black kingpin. Anyone keep up with this kind of tomfoolery? It was also strange to me that I had no issues with those old kingpins until the last 2 sets.

Did you get the trucks used?  It's possible that the kingpins were replaced and they didn't use Grade 8 bolts?  They should have 6 marks on the head of it like this:

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 10:52:03 AM »
The stage 8 initially had the classic hexagonal  head kingpins, but these were eventually replaced by the button head kingpins in later stage 8s. Is that what you mean?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 11:34:43 AM »
Had stage 8s with the old hex head kingpins. They broke a lot but replacing them was pretty easy unlike stage 9s which I also broke a lot of kingpins with but the baseplates were prone to snapping in half when putting in new kingpins.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
Had stage 8s with the old hex head kingpins. They broke a lot but replacing them was pretty easy unlike stage 9s which I also broke a lot of kingpins with but the baseplates were prone to snapping in half when putting in new kingpins.
Those were the ones with hole in baseplate right? Broke so many of those…
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 09:06:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Those were the ones with hole in baseplate right? Broke so many of those…
Yeah the two kinda triangle ish holes in the middle.
Ruf years for anyone who wanted a truck bigger than 7.75

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 04:21:42 AM »
I definitely had a set of Stage 8 156s with the black kingpins, I remember because I knocked them out and put Grind King pins in.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 08:53:20 AM »
Here's a pair of old stock 8's and 9's. Black on the 8's and silver on the 9's.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 03:42:11 AM »

So good!!!

Seems around 2000 many truck companies were all starting to change over from the simple hex head to the pressed in button head kingpins, so Stage 8 up until 2002 and the Stage 9 from 2003 and onwards.

Are those stage 9 the low variety from 2006?

I only recall seeing the silver kingpin on the lows, all the others having the black ones, unless they have been changed out.

Rad that there are still more of these out there floating around, not that I really want any of the ones I have, as I feel like the Stage 11 are a much better truck overall than any of the older stages for how well they perform now on everything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 07:12:57 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

So good!!!

Seems around 2000 many truck companies were all starting to change over from the simple hex head to the pressed in button head kingpins, so Stage 8 up until 2002 and the Stage 9 from 2003 and onwards.

Are those stage 9 the low variety from 2006?

I only recall seeing the silver kingpin on the lows, all the others having the black ones, unless they have been changed out.

Rad that there are still more of these out there floating around, not that I really want any of the ones I have, as I feel like the Stage 11 are a much better truck overall than any of the older stages for how well they perform now on everything.

They are indeed lows, 129's. Basically un-skated. Found them from a classified ad, kid was dumping a basically untouched complete from like '04-'05ish, Louie Enjoi deck with Koston Rictas - total time machine piece. The 8's are 166's, garage sale find, definitely original hardware on those guys but they've seen some action, when I stop being lazy I'm going to throw them on a Polar Dane 1 or something similar.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 08:32:43 AM »
The 8's are 166's, garage sale find, definitely original hardware on those guys but they've seen some action, when I stop being lazy I'm going to throw them on a Polar Dane 1 or something similar.

Garage sale was how I found my 8s. 

I was hanging up signs for MY garage sale and someone around the block was selling a trashed deck with stage 8s and longboard wheels.  They also were selling a longboard that was missing a wheel.  $20 for both.   I took them home, put the 4 wheels on the longboard and sold it for $30 at my sale an hour after I picked it up.