Author Topic: Times you have felt "not cool" around other skaters  (Read 9482 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Times you have felt "not cool" around other skaters
« on: November 12, 2021, 06:52:38 AM »
So, recently I went to pick up my son's new BMX bike from the bike shop after I got off work. Was pretty hyped for him, bought him a nice GT. I'm decked out in my company polo, nice khaki pants and hiking boots from my office. As I'm leaving with the bike, I see 2 skaters (probably half my age) running with boards through the parking lot behind the shop. As a skater, I recognize the signs of "getting busted, let's bail". Also, with my familiarity with this town I've lived 95% of my life, I offer my knowledge: "Hey if you cut down that alley, make a right - you can get 2 parking lots away faster!" (there's a cluster of different parking lots in this area). The one guy said "thanks" but the other guy definitely gave me a:
"Ok boomer" look, before taking off with his friend. I did see they took my advice, but as I got in the car, I really started to over analyze this. I see myself in the mirror and check out my fit. Dad gear carrying a BMX bike offering advice to young skaters. On my way home, I stopped by the park, and got out - sat by the lake while smoking a cig. I definitely turned this into a bigger deal than it is, but I definitely felt "not cool".

P.S. My wife thinks this is fucking hilarious and keeps bringing up "the time that you were an old dad to some skaters".

BinkyConklinFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Times you have felt "not cool" around other skaters
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
Once I told some kids that their 360 flips would look better on video if they didn't stick their back foot out all limp looking.

"We do it that way on purpose."
"Hey man how old are you? Oh that's cool. Yeah a lot of older guys do them that way"

I still think they're wrong, but it kinda got to me.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 07:25:15 AM »
Never. You worry about meaningless things like "friends", "success", "happiness" or being "cool."

I am trying to Jub drop off the highest thing in the skatepark.

We are not the same.

Keep your feelings and love.

Bupstop

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 07:30:57 AM »
I was at a field tossing a football to my girlfriend and a group of young skaters heckled us. In retrospect, I should have shouted “Do a kickflip”.

artskool

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 07:47:30 AM »
Always. I've never really dressed like a skater. I'm not an anti-intellectual, PBR gunning hell rider. Plus, I never got good, even though I've been skating since the late 90's.

bugtown

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 07:51:51 AM »
I went home for the first time in a few years and stopped by the spot i grew up skating to drink some cans. Sat on a ledge that no one ever really used to skate. A lil lad was filming a line as I sat down and yep, my fat ass was right in the way of his back smith ender. Felt like such a dipshit but at least reclaimed my street cred as soon as the OG crew rolled through.

My friend has a story of when he signed up to a temp security agency in the 90s. First day on the job and of all the places in town he was sent to THE SPOT. He tried to explain the situation but the boss man just said "it's your job, go out and tell those skaters to leave". So he swallowed his pride and gave it a shot. I can only imagine the hysteria that broke out as he walked up to them in his security uniform with his little police style hat.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 07:53:44 AM »
So, recently I went to pick up my son's new BMX bike from the bike shop after I got off work. Was pretty hyped for him, bought him a nice GT. I'm decked out in my company polo, nice khaki pants and hiking boots from my office. As I'm leaving with the bike, I see 2 skaters (probably half my age) running with boards through the parking lot behind the shop. As a skater, I recognize the signs of "getting busted, let's bail". Also, with my familiarity with this town I've lived 95% of my life, I offer my knowledge: "Hey if you cut down that alley, make a right - you can get 2 parking lots away faster!" (there's a cluster of different parking lots in this area). The one guy said "thanks" but the other guy definitely gave me a:
"Ok boomer" look, before taking off with his friend. I did see they took my advice, but as I got in the car, I really started to over analyze this. I see myself in the mirror and check out my fit. Dad gear carrying a BMX bike offering advice to young skaters. On my way home, I stopped by the park, and got out - sat by the lake while smoking a cig. I definitely turned this into a bigger deal than it is, but I definitely felt "not cool".

P.S. My wife thinks this is fucking hilarious and keeps bringing up "the time that you were an old dad to some skaters".

Don’t sweat it - they took your advice and one even said thanks, to some random dad in a carpark. Sounds pretty cool to me!

I used to be worried about being kooked, but now I’m just too old to care. Be glad youre not at that stage yet :)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 07:59:53 AM »
7th grade non uniform day I came in my best version of skate clothes (cargo workpants, rusty t shirt, cupsole converse) hoping I'll pass with the other older skaters only to get called poor by a bunch of people who now dressed exactly like Ali G.

Had a broken wrist for years that wouldn't heal so I had to keep trying out different wrist guards. None worked and all made me feel very uncool.

Went from Dylan/Austyn/whatever you want to call it style to windbreaker, cargos, DC's way too early (2012). Not even retro DC's the Cole 2s, thin lynx and Matt miller's would probably be the closest to what's currently in fashion. Definately felt like a dork amongst certain groups of skaters.

c-dock

• Rep: 16
  • Lurker
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »
The one time I thought I could rock all brown Reynolds 3's at the park, only to hear "nahh dude those look like Timberlands on you"

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 08:31:56 AM »
I'd say I felt uncool around other skaters for years. Going into the local core shop was super intimidating and just all around miserable for a long ass time. It took a really really long time to feel comfortable and like I was part of the scene.

Most recently, I ran into an acquaintance from local core shop at a street spot. He was like, "Hey, whats up? Want to skate with us?" And I declined and up some excuse that I was busy because I felt that I wasn't good, cool, or young enough to skate with the "cool" kids anymore. That sucked.

Finally, I remember I ran into Jason Dill outside Supreme while wearing some discount/outlet store style Vans (I was pretty broke at the time). He talked at me for a minute on the bench out front while Nakel and some kid played skate. I wanted to cut my feet off to make sure no one saw those goofy ass shoes.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
Finally, I remember I ran into Jason Dill outside Supreme while wearing some discount/outlet store style Vans (I was pretty broke at the time). He talked at me for a minute on the bench out front while Nakel and some kid played skate. I wanted to cut my feet off to make sure no one saw those goofy ass shoes.

You ever see something so offensively uncool that it kinda circles back around to the cool side?

Welpok

• Rep: 15
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 08:45:06 AM »
Honestly, all the time. No one around me is actually into skateboarding as much as I am. But then again, I guess I'm a nerd, but at least I'm passionate about what I do. I just feel so out of the loop most times.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »
I feel like a dork all the time.  It's hard to be cool when you're an overweight prematurely bald dude.  I gave up years ago though and just do my thing.  I guess the only upside is I have no work dress code so I never get caught out in slacks or a polo if I'm out during lunch or something.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 08:48:42 AM »
I haven't felt uncool since I joined the Slap Message Boards.

#thisiswhywedoit

mushroom slice

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 09:02:46 AM »
The homies caught me looking at slap the other day and then made fun of me until I cried.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »
I'm very grateful that the dudes at my local shop are very mellow and gracious dudes because I've done tons of dork ass shit over the years but I've also been in the scene for almost twenty years now and i don't think anyone cares

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »
Stop trying to talk to children @ok boomer.  We’re old and out of touch, and ESPECIALLY not cool.  Office polo and khakis aren’t cool.  You know this.  We had our time in the sun and now we must fade away into square loser adults.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »
never. I fucking rock

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
Every time I miss my first kickflip attempt of the sesh, so every session I’ve had for the last like decade pretty much.

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »
never. I fucking rock

This guy made me feel uncool

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 09:20:43 AM »
Never.

They're never going to experience anywhere near the joy of skateboarding during any of the different eras (launch ramp days, BPSW, style revival, etc) that I've had the pleasure of skateboarding.

I don't need anyone else's approval and they won't be skating for three decades or longer either so let them think what they want. I had enough of this kooky shit attitude in the 90s and it didn't affect me then either.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 09:45:39 AM »
Stop trying to talk to children @ok boomer.  We’re old and out of touch, and ESPECIALLY not cool.  Office polo and khakis aren’t cool.  You know this.  We had our time in the sun and now we must fade away into square loser adults.

This is what I'm feeling. Next time this happens I'm going to tell the kids "I especially like the ...flip... of the board" and walk away.

sketchyrider

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 09:46:39 AM »
12 year old kid cruising the bowl while puffing a cig made me feel pretty uncool

biaherl

• Rep: 276
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 09:47:08 AM »
If you've never been cool you never have to worry about being cool

doublesteveburger

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
I walked into Lotties once.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2021, 10:33:49 AM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »
Basically any time I wasn't among friends.  I've always gotten super self conscious/anxious around skaters I don't know.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »
This question screams "I grew up in an era/area where skating was socially acceptable"

Fuck being cool, get out there and fall down a lot in front of strangers

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
94% of the times I step into the "core" local shop in town.   

I'm not 18 and don't give a shit about FA or Hockey. I like wheels harder than 99 and trucks that are hollow.    I'm not cool.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
I always feel that way but I dont give a fuck. I feel this way walking around university too because I end up locking eyes with girls and im not the most unattractive dude but I always overthink like "damn she prob thinks im ugly and weird for making eye contact" when really most of the girls who I got with that way say its the opposite. I dont think im unattractive or anything, but I definitely feel that way a lot more than feeling happy with how I look.

I think it's the same thing with skating though. At the end of the day we are self aware but that all goes out the window when we feel like we need to look a certain way for someone or gain their respect or something