Author Topic: Check Out The Light Phone, An iPhone Alternative Built By A Skater (Jenkem)  (Read 1144 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
I'm actually familiar with this phone and IIRC they released a model in the year of our lord 2023 which still charges via Micro USB.

https://youtu.be/tltzRNZrNC8?si=-WRnino-FITu1LYp
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GS77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 94
“I’m posting from a Blackberry WTF.”

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
I found one at a garage sale for $1 a couple of years ago! Keep your eyes peeled in the book sections of thrift stores because the case just kinda looks like a nondescript hardcover.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
It's an honorable goal to provide something that may encourage people to spend less time staring at their portable mini computers while out and about. I support that. I've been at a few sessions where all of a sudden everyone is glued to their device and the distance felt between one another is odd. A text or post from someone hundreds or thousands of miles away can changed the vibe of the real life present.

Turning on Do Not Disturb, Silent mode, and disabling on screen notifications work wonders for breaking the habit.

$299 is a lot, especially when comparing it to a $40 Trac or $89 Nokia flip phone that has a graphical user interface for maps. That satellite view for finding skate spots while traveling is pretty damn useful.

Instagram addiction / overload was a real thing for me. I broke it by changing my account password to a randomized 30 character string (something tough to memorize) and only storing it on my laptop which lives at home. An alternative would be writing it on a piece of paper locked away in a closet and requiring your phone # for 2FA (two factor authentication) in case someone finds the paper.

Not having easy access to the password prevented me from logging on from my phone. Unfortunately, Instagram now allows you to login using just your 2FA phone number, so it comes down to having the self control to not install the app and login.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
dude's got nice nollie flips

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 25
I like the idea of this phone, but pretty expensive. Instagram and my phone in general was affecting my mental health.  I deleted the app and only look at Instagram now from a computer which I only use while at work during the weekdays.  Its been pretty nice to be honest.  Feeling a lot better these days.

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
300$ is a fucking joke, and why the hell does the battery only last 1-2 days? just get any dumbphone in a thriftshop, be better off and save yourself 295 bucks.
ohyeahohyeah

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
Think they should have called this, “Checking in with Joe.” It’s not so much about the phone. I had heard of this when it first came out, but no idea it was created by a skateboarder. Rad little origin.

I had a pretty sweet life up until 2019 when I got my first smartphone. It has its uses, but is a demanding little device. My old flip phone started falling apart on me otherwise I would probably still be running it. I remember the charge port died on a multi-state road trip with a friend and I had to buy a special charger where I’d pop the battery off and match the “teeth” up in order to charge the phone. Those were good times.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
Seems like a $300 zine

just put your phone down, the free alternative

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Don't like this Adbrotorial shit, but dude can skate.  Light Phone is a good idea executed kinda badly.  No usb c, needing to do most things on an app on your computer or a smart phone, unresponsive screen, lackluster maps.  If everything levelled up to just be more usable and fluid, it'd get more out of your way.  I understand having to manually load music & podcasts, thats fine, but half giving you shit is just annoying.  And the battery is no better than any smart phone.

I went the Kyocera Digno flip phone route to get off the iphone train which is too annoying to sit on but enjoyable to use. You can sign into apple music and listen to your whole itunes library, physical keyboard, decent camera, has a good podcast app, waze works perfectly and instagram and the browser barely works which is perfect.  Charge it once every 2 or 3 days.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
I don't get it. You can buy a new regular flip phone for like $20. It might have a browser but it sucks so much that you don't want to use it. Am I missing something or is this just some hipster bullshit?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
Wow.  I’ve considered getting the light phone many times, but can’t cut the cord just yet.  Had no idea a skater was behind it.  And a “real” skater not some guy that rides a long board or something, this kid really skates. 

One of these days I think I’ll get one
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Don't like this Adbrotorial shit, but dude can skate.  Light Phone is a good idea executed kinda badly.  No usb c, needing to do most things on an app on your computer or a smart phone, unresponsive screen, lackluster maps.  If everything levelled up to just be more usable and fluid, it'd get more out of your way.  I understand having to manually load music & podcasts, thats fine, but half giving you shit is just annoying.  And the battery is no better than any smart phone.

I went the Kyocera Digno flip phone route to get off the iphone train which is too annoying to sit on but enjoyable to use. You can sign into apple music and listen to your whole itunes library, physical keyboard, decent camera, has a good podcast app, waze works perfectly and instagram and the browser barely works which is perfect.  Charge it once every 2 or 3 days.

I believe when they made light 2, USB C was just coming out, and they wanted to keep the prie down a bit

Really wanted to get the second one, but for just $50 more I went with the Pixel 4a

Sometimes wish there was still an option to use the original Light Phone

Good to see Joe getting love. Jersey stand all the way up

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.