Author Topic: Sony FS5  (Read 1727 times)

bighead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Sony FS5
« on: November 16, 2021, 12:35:36 PM »
Thinking about going the FS5 route but not entirely sold on the long lens aspect. Anyone have any examples of vids filmed with this camera or first hand experience? I know most adidas/suciu/flora vids are filmed with this camera. Any other examples?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
Re: Sony FS5
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »
Ya boy Chris Mulhern films with the FS5 and you know the god kills it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNDbyEwaQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIIg-ahTiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7dyY9ZJJzQ
I recently got one too and Im really stoked on it. It definitely gives it a more "traditional" look in the sense that it is a camera to show the whole aspect of the trick/spot and not that much of a super zoom in deal.

lydius

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »
there's definitely no replacing a motorized servo zoom, but you could find your own (probably tripod-based) techniques to get some good long lens angles. i'm no expert on lenses but there's gotta be some variable focal length (zoom) lenses that are smooth enough that you could hand-twist the zoom ring and get some good long lens.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001011-REG/sony_selp18105g_18_105mm_f_4_g_lens.html

this is the zoom lens you wanna get with it. works with the zoom rocker of the FS5. same one mulhern uses
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 12:25:23 AM »
Thinking about going the FS5 route but not entirely sold on the long lens aspect. Anyone have any examples of vids filmed with this camera or first hand experience? I know most adidas/suciu/flora vids are filmed with this camera. Any other examples?

At work we use a Sigma 18mm to 35mm and although it doesn't hold focus when zooming in or out the motion of it is very smooth.

lydius

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 09:17:38 AM »
could you potentially get around the focus issue by just closing down your f-stop to like 9 or 11, trying to keep everything in focus?

bighead

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 01:40:08 PM »
For yall who have one - any regrets so far?

lydius

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »
Looks like an ENG lens. that's sick that the FS has a zoom rocker in the 1st place to accommodate these types of lenses

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 12:08:07 PM »
Ok I've been using the camera more and it does have an auto-focus feature so you can actually zoom in without having to focus but usually with the lens aperture pretty closed up (F/9. F/11 even more if you can) and if there aren't that many elements to throw the AF off.

Love this camera, no regrets in getting it at all.

GoHawrd33

• Go hawrd, or don't.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 03:11:50 PM »
Mulhern's footage with this camera is amazing, but I am not a fan of the head chops occurring in the line footage where he is following the skater... anyone know what wide angle lens he is using, and if there is a wider option?

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 09:23:23 AM »
Mulhern's footage with this camera is amazing, but I am not a fan of the head chops occurring in the line footage where he is following the skater... anyone know what wide angle lens he is using, and if there is a wider option?
He uses the Canon 8-15mm which Im sure is one of the widest options. There might be a some options that are a bit wider (barely) but are way cheaper lenses that don't have the same quality.

bighead

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »
Has anyone used a varizoom lanc controller with this camera or any like it?