Author Topic: Turnstile  (Read 4715 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Turnstile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2023, 08:06:00 AM »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2023, 08:13:37 AM »
this song is giving me heavy Bad Brains "I against I" era vibes....which is a good thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4DMwJAugA

Heard this song during a rough patch last year.
It kinda helped me crutch for a bit and kinda helped me go on.

Hope they play in LA.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

slimvanilla

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2023, 07:24:44 PM »
stumbled upon this thread and just wanted to say that seeing Turnstile live had me scared for my life for about 95% of the show. in a good way tho lol

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2023, 02:55:53 AM »
stumbled upon this thread and just wanted to say that seeing Turnstile live had me scared for my life for about 95% of the show. in a good way tho lol

they are playing in the netherlands 2 hours from where I live in June.....On one hand I really want to go, but on the other hand I'm scared my nearly 50 year-old ass will not survive the pit ha! Stage-diving for the first time in over 25 years would be neat though. :-X
this gig from 2022 is straight fire as the kids say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvNsFNRfPuA

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2023, 09:37:01 PM »
Yeah I still don’t get the attraction. They’re better than most new stuff coming out but in the hardcore ranks I wouldn’t consider them anywhere near the top.

I see them as hardcore for people who don’t like hardcore. Maybe that just makes me old though

Give me some agnostic front, sick of it all, shutdown etc any day

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2023, 12:00:20 AM »
Yeah I still don’t get the attraction. They’re better than most new stuff coming out but in the hardcore ranks I wouldn’t consider them anywhere near the top.

I see them as hardcore for people who don’t like hardcore. Maybe that just makes me old though

Not an untrue statement....I used to be a big fan of Black Flag, Bad Brains and all those early bands but nowadays I very rarely listen to that stuff. And it's precisely the fact that Turnstile incorporate non-hardcore elements into their sound that draws me into it.....(the little electronic flourishes like 808 toms, melodic vocals with a lot of effetcs).
Some people mentioned Trapped Under Ice and I went to check it out, but it feels too much like straight-hardcore for me to get into it. Any other bands I should check out?
I'm really out of touch with "modern hardcore".....

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2023, 07:43:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they are playing in the netherlands 2 hours from where I live in June.....On one hand I really want to go, but on the other hand I'm scared my nearly 50 year-old ass will not survive the pit ha! Stage-diving for the first time in over 25 years would be neat though. :-X

saw they were coming to austin opening for blink 182. how would that even work? surely not the same crowd of fans.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2023, 08:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

saw they were coming to austin opening for blink 182. how would that even work? surely not the same crowd of fans.

the positives of them being on that tour is that it's widening their fanbase and also potentially introducing them as a gateway to other hardcore bands. sure it will be weird seeing them play in an arena but to think of how far they've come, they definitely deserve to play a big stage like that.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2023, 03:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

the positives of them being on that tour is that it's widening their fanbase and also potentially introducing them as a gateway to other hardcore bands. sure it will be weird seeing them play in an arena but to think of how far they've come, they definitely deserve to play a big stage like that.

I could maybe see the new Blink album being more on the punk side?
But there is an overlap with that post hardcore, Midwest emo, and pop punk kids.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2023, 03:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I could maybe see the new Blink album being more on the punk side?
But there is an overlap with that post hardcore, Midwest emo, and pop punk kids.

i think the big draw is that it's Tom's first tour with the band since his departure + new album. moreso the former. but agree on the fan overlap. no doubt in my mind they picked turnstile because they are great at bringing the energy up, especially to a crowd of rowdy blink fanns.

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2023, 03:57:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not an untrue statement....I used to be a big fan of Black Flag, Bad Brains and all those early bands but nowadays I very rarely listen to that stuff. And it's precisely the fact that Turnstile incorporate non-hardcore elements into their sound that draws me into it.....(the little electronic flourishes like 808 toms, melodic vocals with a lot of effetcs).
Some people mentioned Trapped Under Ice and I went to check it out, but it feels too much like straight-hardcore for me to get into it. Any other bands I should check out?

knocked loose?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2023, 06:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you watch live shows of turnstile that are NOT hardcore festivals it is absolutely the same crowd of fans haha
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2023, 09:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you watch live shows of turnstile that are NOT hardcore festivals it is absolutely the same crowd of fans haha

Yeah that’s the same down here in NZ where they’re playing the laneway festival. There’s not even a band close to their style on the list

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2023, 12:12:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

knocked loose?

thanks for the tip! I found it kinda has the same effect  on me as Trapped Under Ice: I like about half the songs. Funny how modern hardcore just sounds a lot like metal, with those heavy riffs and the screams/growling.

Also about the tour with Blink 182: that exposure, combined with their 3 (!) grammy nominations, should make Turnstile blow up even more, in a very big way....Which I think is dope! I miss seeing "guitar bands" in the top 10 or top 20 of pop music.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2023, 08:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

knocked loose?
[close]

thanks for the tip! I found it kinda has the same effect  on me as Trapped Under Ice: I like about half the songs. Funny how modern hardcore just sounds a lot like metal, with those heavy riffs and the screams/growling.

Also about the tour with Blink 182: that exposure, combined with their 3 (!) grammy nominations, should make Turnstile blow up even more, in a very big way....Which I think is dope! I miss seeing "guitar bands" in the top 10 or top 20 of pop music.

I second the knocked loose shout 

UnityTX, Kind Eyes, Buggin’ , Gouge Away, I Hate Sex, Zulu. Some of these might be a little too on the hardcore side but I think they each have a few songs you’d dig. Dance Gavin Dance’s new album has been getting a lot of play from me too.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2023, 11:54:37 PM »
So I saw them live in the Netherlands last week! Drove 3 hours in total to make it there and come back but it was fully worth it. Super glad I got to see them in a medium size venue and not some huge festival/arena.
Only regret is I did not dare enter the pit, too scared to fuck up my knee... But my son got his first taste of a pit haha!!

I'm also starting to get into Angel Dust and Free the Birds, the side projects by these guys. They really are productive and talented. Guess I'm a full-on stan now....