Author Topic: Will U Watch "Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Of" Documentary?  (Read 13241 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Will U Watch "Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Of" Documentary?
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2022, 06:21:40 AM »
Just hope he doesn't try any Feasters on Lizzie or it will be the Beginning of the End

cky enthusiast

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2022, 06:25:48 AM »
this what happens when you too busy doin varials at del mar to meet cindy at the vista mall food court

Miller92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -282
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2022, 06:41:00 AM »
Absolutely loved the film.

At one point as they were interviewing Lance I almost couldn't believe it was real. Seems rare to see skateboarding history so highly produced.  Just wild to see how much work went into tracking down the early to mid 80s stuff.  Such a great soundtrack.  Touched on some things that I think most people were unaware of.

The best part of the doc was the crowd literally booing baby Tony at that contest.  Insanity

I got the vibe that Tony had some sort of sex addiction/infidelity addiction? Rough stuff.

What a life Tony has led.  Incredible.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2022, 07:02:11 AM »
Have wondered if Tony took the classic Too $hort lyric from "Cusswords":
"You'll get me real mad and I'll fuck your wife" a bit seriously.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2022, 07:03:02 AM »
I thought this was pretty mediocre. Aside from the interviews with Blender, Mountain and Peters, there was little to see here that isn't already widely known, certainly not if you've seen the Bones Brigade documentary. I was hoping it would get into it with him more personally (the four marriages, rehab, etc.), but it's just another hagiography from an incredibly self-aware dude with a team of publicists who carefully craft his public image.

I would still say any skater, especially any older skater or a young skater with an interest in old school skating and skateboard history should watch it. It's competently made and compelling enough to hold your attention for two hours.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Miller92

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2022, 07:10:44 AM »
I thought this was pretty mediocre. Aside from the interviews with Blender, Mountain and Peters, there was little to see here that isn't already widely known, certainly not if you've seen the Bones Brigade documentary. I was hoping it would get into it with him more personally (the four marriages, rehab, etc.), but it's just another hagiography from an incredibly self-aware dude with a team of publicists who carefully craft his public image.

I would still say any skater, especially any older skater or a young skater with an interest in old school skating and skateboard history should watch it. It's competently made and compelling enough to hold your attention for two hours.

If you listen to Tony's podcast, he just had the director on this week.  Tony had no creative control over the Doc.  Sam Jones put it together and showed Tony what he had.  Even in the podcast this week Tony opens up about some aspects he has a problem with, that being Stacy and Lance's comments about him still skating at the level he has been.

Also, did you think for just 1 minute that maybe, just maybe, this wasn't made for just skateboarders to watch? How many average folks do you think have actually watched the Bones Brigade Doc? Probably none.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2022, 07:25:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you listen to Tony's podcast, he just had the director on this week.  Tony had no creative control over the Doc.  Sam Jones put it together and showed Tony what he had.  Even in the podcast this week Tony opens up about some aspects he has a problem with, that being Stacy and Lance's comments about him still skating at the level he has been.

Also, did you think for just 1 minute that maybe, just maybe, this wasn't made for just skateboarders to watch? How many average folks do you think have actually watched the Bones Brigade Doc? Probably none.

None of that makes the film any better and frankly it's bizarre that you feel the feel to defend it so emotionally.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2022, 07:47:03 AM »
Would love to see a Gonz or TG doc. Maybe on HBO Min.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2022, 08:11:32 AM »
I’m gonna watch this, and I’m probably gonna like it, but I really hope this is the last Tony Hawk doc we get.  Dude is the definition of overexposed. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2022, 08:20:55 AM »
Loved it. Stayed up way too late watching it. Wanted more. Wishing Tony a speedy recovery. Rodney summed it all up nicely.

Baglady

• Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
Rodney spoke with poise. While Duane is a strange out of touch mess. How could anyone carry the same ideals for so long without learning a single thing.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2022, 09:01:38 AM »
This is about to show in the states on HBO. Any idea how to watch this internationally? I’m in aus.

Havent checked today, but Im in latin America and yesterday was the trailer on HBOmax saying "coming soon", I assume is now available or a few days from now.

Dont know where are you or if it works the same in other parts of the world.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2022, 09:03:13 AM »
Tony Hawk is great and great for skateboarding. That said I really want to hear about the wife steal.

Fox News - November 11th, 2014

Skateboarding legend Tony Hawk divorced his third wife, Lhotse Merriam, for his best friend and business partner Matt Goodman's wife, Cathy, the New York Post reported Tuesday citing sources.

Merriam found out about her action sports star husband's new relationship in December after she discovered a plane ticket for Cathy that Hawk had booked for her to join him in San Francisco -- despite his being lifelong friends with Matt Goodman.

Hawk filed for divorce in San Diego from Merriam on Feb. 11. They have one child together, Kadence Clover, and Hawk has three sons from two previous marriages.

"We remain deeply committed and loving parents to our daughter, and out of respect for that responsibility we ask that people honor our family's privacy during this important time of transition," the couple said in a statement at the time.

Hawk married Merriam, his former publicist, in 2006, two years after divorcing his second wife, Erin, his former nanny.

Cathy was married to Goodman for nearly 20 years, and they have two kids. Sources said Goodman and Cathy have now separated.

Hawk -- who is credited with putting skateboarding on the map and who became a multimillionaire from his "Tony Hawk Pro Skater" video games -- and Cathy were recently spotted in New York together, sources said.

Hawk and Goodman had been friends since childhood. Sources said Goodman stood as a groomsman at every one of Hawk's three weddings.

Goodman and Hawk also founded action sports movie company 900 Films together.

Merriam had no comment the Post called for a response, and neither did Goodman.

A rep for Hawk said, "We do not comment on the personal lives of our clients."

@Lhotse  you old so and so, i can't believe you got into advanced Falconry. You sly dog, breeding a hawk like that!

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2022, 09:03:33 AM »
why didn't they deinterlace all the old footage

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2022, 10:18:25 AM »
Well done, nice to see skateboarding history relayed thoroughly without pandering to the masses. Strange they interviewed Duane for this, guy has gone pretty far off the deep end and was never a friend to Tony. Guess they needed a critic of sorts but he's not exactly a reliable narrator, to say the least. Rodney comes across like a wise elder wizard or something here, really wonder what people who don't know him would think. Weird they say Tony went to rehab but never say why. I guess you can connect the dots on the relationship stuff but barely. If you're going to bring it up at least explain it to some extent. Really get a sense of how hard Tony still skates at his age, solely for the love and that's incredible.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2022, 10:29:43 AM »
not gonna speculate but i'm speculating it was painkillers

dude looked way too comfy on those at the initial screening of this

was riley in this

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2022, 10:31:22 AM »
I’ll probably watch it

Everyone should also prepare for every aunt/uncle/coworker/etc who knows that you skate to ask if you’ve seen that new skateboarding movie on HBO because they read about it on Facebook!

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Miller92

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2022, 10:35:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

None of that makes the film any better and frankly it's bizarre that you feel the feel to defend it so emotionally.

Emotionally? You implied Tony's PR team delicately dictated what the subject matter would be.  All I said was that that wasn't the case and I know that because it came from Tony's mouth and the director himself.

The only thing that's "bizarre" is the fact that you don't understand how much of an impact Tony had on skating.  Hagiography? lol

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
I’ll probably watch it

Everyone should also prepare for every aunt/uncle/coworker/etc who knows that you skate to ask if you’ve seen that new skateboarding movie on HBO because they read about it on Facebook!

don't have facebook but my girl's dad already texted her to ask if i was going to watch it.

i will but not making it a priority. gonna be shitty this weekend so a tv/movie day will probably happen and i'll throw it on.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »

was riley in this

The initial screening he was like 6 days off breaking his femur, of course he was on something. That being said inpatient rehab seems a bit much for infidelity issues.
Riley was in it quite a bit, he had it rough with Tony changing wives every few years.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Emotionally? You implied Tony's PR team delicately dictated what the subject matter would be.  All I said was that that wasn't the case and I know that because it came from Tony's mouth and the director himself.

The only thing that's "bizarre" is the fact that you don't understand how much of an impact Tony had on skating.  Hagiography? lol

Take a deep breath, friend. I promise you that Tony will be ok.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2022, 11:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote

was riley in this
[close]

The initial screening he was like 6 days off breaking his femur, of course he was on something. That being said inpatient rehab seems a bit much for infidelity issues.
Riley was in it quite a bit, he had it rough with Tony changing wives every few years.

Yeah, it was incredible to completely gloss over the rehab thing. Like just to mention rehab, but not what for, is very sus. If I had to guess, maybe sex addition? He mentions his issues with intimacy (lol obviously) during the doc, so that would track. It would also be funny is Hawk went to rehab for sex addiction.

TelethonJohn

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2022, 12:17:15 PM »
Would love to see a Gonz or TG doc. Maybe on HBO Min.

I too would love to see something like this from someone with the budget and pedigree of Sam Jones, although Gonz has never seemed too keen to talk at length about the past. Still burns my ass how little attention was given to TG in the Bones Brigade doc. Something on pre-EMB SF street skating with all the 43 shit and making Sick Boys, etc. would be really interesting if done correctly.

Clark_After_Dark

• Rep: 71
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2022, 01:02:46 PM »
Heaviest Pool Jumpers vibes

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2022, 01:09:05 PM »
Tempted to correct your French but I'll do neither.

sawcray blue
ok thanks

doublesteveburger

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2022, 01:25:57 PM »
Expand Quote

was riley in this
[close]

don't fucking yell at me

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2022, 01:33:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tony Hawk is great and great for skateboarding. That said I really want to hear about the wife steal.

Fox News - November 11th, 2014

Expand Quote
Skateboarding legend Tony Hawk divorced his third wife, Lhotse Merriam, for his best friend and business partner Matt Goodman's wife, Cathy, the New York Post reported Tuesday citing sources.

Merriam found out about her action sports star husband's new relationship in December after she discovered a plane ticket for Cathy that Hawk had booked for her to join him in San Francisco -- despite his being lifelong friends with Matt Goodman.

Hawk filed for divorce in San Diego from Merriam on Feb. 11. They have one child together, Kadence Clover, and Hawk has three sons from two previous marriages.

"We remain deeply committed and loving parents to our daughter, and out of respect for that responsibility we ask that people honor our family's privacy during this important time of transition," the couple said in a statement at the time.

Hawk married Merriam, his former publicist, in 2006, two years after divorcing his second wife, Erin, his former nanny.

Cathy was married to Goodman for nearly 20 years, and they have two kids. Sources said Goodman and Cathy have now separated.

Hawk -- who is credited with putting skateboarding on the map and who became a multimillionaire from his "Tony Hawk Pro Skater" video games -- and Cathy were recently spotted in New York together, sources said.

Hawk and Goodman had been friends since childhood. Sources said Goodman stood as a groomsman at every one of Hawk's three weddings.

Goodman and Hawk also founded action sports movie company 900 Films together.

Merriam had no comment the Post called for a response, and neither did Goodman.

A rep for Hawk said, "We do not comment on the personal lives of our clients."
[close]
[close]

Never let it be said that Tony Hawk doesn’t lay pipe.
[close]

Tony Fucks

Same but I had two kids with one woman and promptly had a vasectomy.
ok thanks

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2022, 03:47:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

was riley in this
[close]

[close]

Yeah, it was incredible to completely gloss over the rehab thing. Like just to mention rehab, but not what for, is very sus. If I had to guess, maybe sex addition? He mentions his issues with intimacy (lol obviously) during the doc, so that would track. It would also be funny is Hawk went to rehab for sex addiction.
That's why he skates so hard. If he's skating he isn't humpin

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2022, 06:54:39 PM »
It wasn’t bad. Nothing too surprising other than Neil Blender saying he’s never even tried a 540. That blew my mind.

I can’t decide if taking at length with Rodney would be awesome or fucking infuriating.