Author Topic: new chocolate vid "bunny hop"  (Read 45876 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
Re: new chocolate vid "bunny hop"
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2021, 03:19:50 PM »
just finished the video and enjoyed the hell out of it. Erik Herra stood out for me. James Capps too.

Whats up with Carl Aikens' full name being used all of the sudden? I dig it, just wondering though. Dude rips.

Gnatpant

• Rep: 4
« Reply #331 on: December 21, 2021, 03:30:51 PM »
Really liked it,cool seeing all the OGs in the beginning

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #332 on: December 21, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »
spike jonze, adam spiegel, spike spiegel, cowboy bebop bunny hop, wow that's weird

Erik and Trahan though 10/10

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
kinda wild how crail got away with the whole "360 deal" for years, like if you wanna ride for girl or chocolate you also gotta ride for Royal, Lakai, and Fourstar i assume they are still doin that with some people

I think that was just during the Simon, Manchild, Capps, Gass  am era.    Carl was the first one I saw free of the lakai shackles

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #334 on: December 21, 2021, 04:13:38 PM »
I liked the intro but I'm old and I don't need to see it again, Capps was a bit meh, I agree with some earlier that Carl is a not as good Kyle Wilson, don't like his trick selection but obviously he's good. Standout for me Was Erik, the two BS nose blunts he did were too perfect, the first one could be the best I've ever seen. I like Jesus' skating more now he's not doing so many flips, the two flip out tricks he did were very questionable and he needs to stop bothering with them as the when he skates more simple his style is great, switch flip over the bench was excellent. The rest of it was boring, some good music and the first half or so had a nice vibe of early girl/choc vids but the audience who care about the nostalgia pop is dwindling by the day and it doesn't feel fresh at all. This video hasn't done a lot to stop the feeling that Crail is a sinking ship, would like to see Erik, Carl and maybe Capps just go and ride for someone like Limosine/Weekend/Quasi/Polar and build names for themselves without the Crail weight hanging over them.

mariolopez

• Rep: -22
« Reply #335 on: December 21, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »
Andrew brophy is the worst crail rider of all time. id rather watch Daniel castillo.

they can never recover, brophy was the final nail in the coffin like josh kasper on blind. A stain that can never be removed

im surprised they didnt put daniel espinoza on after cliche  ;D

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #336 on: December 21, 2021, 04:21:04 PM »
Decent video. I liked the filming for the most part. Definitely won't be rewatching. No one really stood out to me. I don't get the Jordan Trahan love but I also don't get the Max and Cyrus hype. I guess it's just not my type of skating. Carl has a sick sw tre though.

mariolopez

• Rep: -22
« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2021, 04:26:44 PM »
Decent video. I liked the filming for the most part. Definitely won't be rewatching. No one really stood out to me. I don't get the Jordan Trahan love but I also don't get the Max and Cyrus hype. I guess it's just not my type of skating. Carl has a sick sw tre though.

carl does have one of the best switch tres. other than that, nothing memorable. but only a few ppl have switch tres like that.
 prod maybe

squippy

• Rep: -65
« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
The amount of love for VA's skating on this board is mental.

Edit: GANG!

Dan Gerous

« Reply #339 on: December 21, 2021, 04:58:06 PM »
I found it a bit underwhelming personally, not bad but no high points that stood out or worth remembering IMO.

I love Carl's skating but he instagrams like 5 times per day so his part felt like an instagram compilation, there was nothing new or surprising but with his style, still very watchable.

I don't mind VA, I love how fast he usually goes and how hard he eats shit, but somehow every trick he pulls off looks like he was just lucky, never looks like he's in much control, it's actually an okay style in my book but not good enough to be last part.

I think Trahan had my favorite part.

Also, damn Castillo didn't age well... or they filmed his skit the day after he lost a fist fight.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #340 on: December 21, 2021, 05:10:47 PM »
The amount of love for VA's skating on this board is mental.

Edit: GANG!

i think i see what you did there, and i commend your comedy

zozu

• Rep: 127
« Reply #341 on: December 21, 2021, 06:08:45 PM »

I love Carl's skating but he instagrams like 5 times per day so his part felt like an instagram compilation, there was nothing new or surprising but with his style, still very watchable.

Came here to say the exact same thing, I felt like I had seen half the clips already since the man posts his entire bag on IG every month. Still a huge fan though.

For that reason I'm very much looking forward to what Hosea has got coming next because he doesn't post shit.
Since Crail doesn't seem to want him he should go to Limosine or something.

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #342 on: December 21, 2021, 06:10:34 PM »
I really liked it. I thought the skit was well done. I liked seeing everyone skating together and being hyped for each other. Jordan and Carl rip. This felt like a refreshing "return to form" with respect to what a full length used to feel like.

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #343 on: December 21, 2021, 06:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

carl does have one of the best switch tres. other than that, nothing memorable. but only a few ppl have switch tres like that.
 prod maybe

His switch trey has that Drake Jones "just jump up" and the damn thing blasts and flips all slow. love it.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #344 on: December 21, 2021, 07:01:17 PM »
whose part did the train people like best

the two front 3s in a row

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #345 on: December 21, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »
That was a really fun video!
Definitely had those old Girl/Chocolate vibes (great music picks helped a lot with that), and all of the newest team members are pretty solid. Erik Herrera had my favorite, but I enjoyed all of 'em. Carlisle and Jordan delivered for sure. No complaints about the filming.

I thought the Chocolate Tour II skit to open was great but, like a lot of Crail skits, will get skipped with repeat viewings.

So, yeah, thoroughly enjoyed and will watch again tomorrow.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

djsmoothnuts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #346 on: December 21, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
all the long posts by new accounts critiquing every second of this video seem like they are all written by the same person.

it was a good video.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #347 on: December 21, 2021, 08:03:22 PM »
If that noseblunt doesn’t make the QS Top 10 they’re fuckin up. Please run that back a few times turbo.

And I disagree with anyone hating on Vincent having last part. It may be unorthodox, but whatever he’s lacking in “pop” he makes up for tenfold in speed and  heart. Also, I personally like his style, his part was mostly switch I think (noticed towards the end, so don’t quote me on that), and not to mention, The Atlantic is a pretty good shoe!

I liked the first song in Stevie Perez’s part a lot.
Carl Aikens is very good at skateboarding.
I liked Crob’s face after his trick.

My first board (besides one me and my brother shared) was a Keenan Milton Czar design. Always have a soft spot for Chocolate.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »
Expand Quote
kinda wild how crail got away with the whole "360 deal" for years, like if you wanna ride for girl or chocolate you also gotta ride for Royal, Lakai, and Fourstar i assume they are still doin that with some people
[close]

I think that was just during the Simon, Manchild, Capps, Gass  am era.    Carl was the first one I saw free of the lakai shackles
I don't think it ever really existed in a full-blown state. At worst it was you had to ride for Lakai. I think Fourstarr was done by the time Simon got on (plus he's always been on Volcom), and I believe Manchild has always been on Indy's. But, Cory and Elijah never rode for Lakai, and I'm not sure Stevie was on Chocolate prior to eS folding (he got on due to McCrank knowing him from an eS trip, prior to that I believe he was DLX flow).

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -468
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2021, 08:25:05 PM »
Maybe it’s because I grew up on chocolate tour and yeah right, but I just couldn’t get into this at all. Stopped watching after Jordan Trahan’s part. I’ll definitely finish it, probably soon.

Perhaps I’m just old and mourning my own loss of relevancy/youth/whatever, but it used to be that girl and chocolate were cream of the crop, the ones setting the bar. Where’s the P Rod or Marc Johnson element in this? They seem to have doubled down on style guys/nyc skaters/“creative” types but there’s other companies doing that better anyways.

Likely scenario is that eventually I’ll come around on it and I’m just jaded by clinging on to what they were in my youth.

Edit: just finished it. Carl aikens is supposed to be the hot commodity of this video and he switch hard flips what a 12 stair as his ender a year after a man who is probably double his age does it down Wallenberg? And Vince Alvarez’ part was exactly what you’d expect. I liked his Shit so much when he came out but he has kinda been the same ever since.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 08:48:09 PM by NoComply180 »

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

metiche666

« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
Stevie putting the brown in chocolate with that cumbia.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2021, 08:46:42 PM »
Trahan!!!!!!

Aikens!!!!!

baggy spandex

« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2021, 08:54:29 PM »
Jesus christ Jordan Trahan looks good on a skateboard.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2021, 09:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I don't think it ever really existed in a full-blown state. At worst it was you had to ride for Lakai. I think Fourstarr was done by the time Simon got on (plus he's always been on Volcom), and I believe Manchild has always been on Indy's. But, Cory and Elijah never rode for Lakai, and I'm not sure Stevie was on Chocolate prior to eS folding (he got on due to McCrank knowing him from an eS trip, prior to that I believe he was DLX flow).

I understood it (or was stated on Slap) that in order to get fully on Girl/Chocolate you had to wear lakai.   No one said anything about the other brands

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2021, 09:04:32 PM »
Maybe it’s because I grew up on chocolate tour and yeah right, but I just couldn’t get into this at all. Stopped watching after Jordan Trahan’s part. I’ll definitely finish it, probably soon.

Perhaps I’m just old and mourning my own loss of relevancy/youth/whatever, but it used to be that girl and chocolate were cream of the crop, the ones setting the bar. Where’s the P Rod or Marc Johnson element in this? They seem to have doubled down on style guys/nyc skaters/“creative” types but there’s other companies doing that better anyways.

Likely scenario is that eventually I’ll come around on it and I’m just jaded by clinging on to what they were in my youth.

Edit: just finished it. Carl aikens is supposed to be the hot commodity of this video and he switch hard flips what a 12 stair as his ender a year after a man who is probably double his age does it down Wallenberg? And Vince Alvarez’ part was exactly what you’d expect. I liked his Shit so much when he came out but he has kinda been the same ever since.
I loved Chocolate, and loved Chocolate Tour. but I always felt outside of when they added MJ, Chocolate was more on the stylish side of skating over taking it to the next level, whereas Girl had a ton of stylish guys, it was filled with guys who were truly taking skating to the next level in Koston, Guy, Carroll and Rick, and later with P-Rod, Mike-Mo and CK1. Chocolate has always pushed style from guys like Gino, Kenny Anderson, Scott Johnston, Stevie, etc. Girl has always been the next level tech guys.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #355 on: December 21, 2021, 09:05:16 PM »
Man rewatching dilo’s red tiger part has me wondering why chocolate didn’t throw some money at him. He’s already wearing Lakai and that part was leagues beyond anything else in this video. 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2021, 09:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I understood it (or was stated on Slap) that in order to get fully on Girl/Chocolate you had to wear lakai.   No one said anything about the other brands
I was just responding to the 360 aspect. I think the only person to ride for Girl/Chocolate, Lakai, Fourstarr and Royal were Carroll and Guy, Guy "had" ownership in 2 of the brands and Carroll owns part of all of them. Funniest is Rickk has never rode for Royal despite owning it.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #357 on: December 21, 2021, 09:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I loved Chocolate, and loved Chocolate Tour. but I always felt outside of when they added MJ, Chocolate was more on the stylish side of skating over taking it to the next level, whereas Girl had a ton of stylish guys, it was filled with guys who were truly taking skating to the next level in Koston, Guy, Carroll and Rick, and later with P-Rod, Mike-Mo and CK1. Chocolate has always pushed style from guys like Gino, Kenny Anderson, Scott Johnston, Stevie, etc. Girl has always been the next level tech guys.
yeah they definitely had more of the style guys on the chocolate side. But I think even in their prime those guys were still pushing the envelope in their own ways more so than this showing. But, again, could be nostalgia clouding my perception.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #358 on: December 21, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Trahan footy is always better when he’s reppin HARDWARE
Icehead

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2021, 09:45:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
yeah they definitely had more of the style guys on the chocolate side. But I think even in their prime those guys were still pushing the envelope in their own ways more so than this showing. But, again, could be nostalgia clouding my perception.
More a product of era. It would be impossible to make something that would be as impactful as Chocolate Tour was these days. While they aren't up to the standards of Chocolate at its peak, no brand really is. Online parts have changed the game. Whereas when Chocolate was in its Golden era there were maybe 4 to 5 big videos a year. Chocolate has always been a very stylish brand with an urban style (they've always focused on inner city LA guys, EMB and NYC skaters).