Author Topic: Jeremy Klein's watertower ollie  (Read 21060 times)

CorneliusCardew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: mark suciu = soty?
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2021, 12:06:01 PM »
He killed the blubba like Tom Penny at that chain spot. He just like owns that place now. These last two parts he put out seems like one part that he split up for added effect.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2021, 12:06:25 PM »
Expand Quote
ugh,

I'm a a suciu fan, but that thrasher article is fucked.
The cringe factor from trying to sound so educated is horrible.

I probably wrote some things I would look back on and feel embarrassed about too.
Luckily nobody cares or can pull those up three years later to show me.

Spitfire part was amazing, blubba tricks especially. Would be happy to see him get soty
Excited to see what else drops in the next month.
Love the soty rush content while its happening
[close]

im with you. I like to watch him skate way more than listen to him talk.

when he was on the nine club, they asked him what his favorite movie was, and he mentioned some foreign film he admitted he fell asleep during.

Like, just say "happy gilmore" or "blazing saddles" like a normal person, you don't look more intelligent saying your favorite flick is something so obscure and boring you took a nap during it.

Come to think of it I fell asleep in middle of his video parts more than once

davidbeckham2002

• Rep: -38
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
p-rod didnt get it once and hes had 10 years in a row of extremly good footage

dont get me wrong i like milton and mason but being a hellride doesnt make you a soty in my eyes
i dont really their skating
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:21:48 PM by davidbeckham2002 »

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2021, 12:17:40 PM »
Expand Quote
ugh,

I'm a a suciu fan, but that thrasher article is fucked.
The cringe factor from trying to sound so educated is horrible.

I probably wrote some things I would look back on and feel embarrassed about too.
Luckily nobody cares or can pull those up three years later to show me.

Spitfire part was amazing, blubba tricks especially. Would be happy to see him get soty
Excited to see what else drops in the next month.
Love the soty rush content while its happening
[close]

im with you. I like to watch him skate way more than listen to him talk.

when he was on the nine club, they asked him what his favorite movie was, and he mentioned some foreign film he admitted he fell asleep during.

Like, just say "happy gilmore" or "blazing saddles" like a normal person, you don't look more intelligent saying your favorite flick is something so obscure and boring you took a nap during it.

His skateboarding is pretty awesome tho

you guys are weird. It seems no one should skate and be passionate about littérature or cinema. You are all projecting so much on this man. It sounds  like if you don’t  like « foreign films » everyone who likes them must be pretending right ?
check my music

CheeseSteak

• Rep: -2
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2021, 01:00:14 PM »
It's so strange that education somehow disqualifies this man from being a good skateboarder or deserving an award.

However, SOTY traditionally goes to someone living the rocknroll lifestyle like Phelps himself, I guess the real question is then 'is he down with the mag?'

I personally think skateboarding is cleaning up its act and pros are ditching the booze / drugs just like many people as they get older. And having personally lost friends to drugs and alcohol, I prefer sobriety.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2021, 01:03:13 PM »
The reason why Mark should get SOTY is that he has consistently been a 'top performer' year after year for the last... 5(?) years, at this point not recognizing him as a force seems to be to the detriment of all of skating...

Regardless of his own style (or lack thereof) he has inspired many other skateboarders with his approach (Tom Knox, Bobby dekeyzer etc).
The same argument could be made for Chris joslin who is way more hellride but he never got it.
 Chimas been putting out mind blowing parts for longer than suciu.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
All the bitter I couldn't go to college heads projecting on Mark

What the fuck does it matter if he is educated
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
Quote from: OldSkater
dude he has a slam in this very part. why write a novel like this when you didn't even watch the relevant link haha

Pardon me for missing that 1.5 seconds, but yes there is a clip of the end of a slam at courthouse (gnarly). I wrote a lot because I was trying to do his talent justice while explaining why he doesn't leave more of an impression on some folks.

You're focusing on one piece of what I said. I know it's a few paragraphs but the lack of slams is not the most important point. The point I'm trying to make is the man is a little too vanilla. Like premium, small batch, hand churned vanilla, but still... vanilla.

Hopefully you understand that I fully recognize he's way ahead of the pack skill-wise and don't mean to take anything away from his ability. I'm not going full KB here, I'm just saying people would care more if he threw some sprinkles in here or there, or maybe some hot fudge. I know I would eat that shit up.

Edit: you must also understand that I'm the type of person that would rather watch someone like Oskar Rozenberg do stand up grinds for 3 minutes than watch 3 minutes of a technically impressive, squeaky clean street video part. Both are great, but we all have our preferences and perspectives.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:32:37 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
I stand with Frederick J. Gall

This is the only correct answer. This is also what Phelps would have wanted. Freddy is sober, he's skating again. That's enough.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »
people write verbose, technical, uncool comments about how Mark is verbose, technical, and uncool

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »
people write verbose, technical, uncool comments about how Mark is verbose, technical, and uncool

And funny guys like you get gnar'd

IpathCats

« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2021, 02:01:38 PM »
p-rod didnt get it once and hes had 10 years in a row of extremly good footage

dont get me wrong i like milton and mason but being a hellride doesnt make you a soty in my eyes
i dont really their skating

Damn that's crazy. I always forget who has and hasn't won it, that's crazy if you think about it.

Quote from: OldSkater
Expand Quote
dude he has a slam in this very part. why write a novel like this when you didn't even watch the relevant link haha
[close]

Pardon me for missing that 1.5 seconds, but yes there is a clip of the end of a slam at courthouse (gnarly). I wrote a lot because I was trying to do his talent justice while explaining why he doesn't leave more of an impression on some folks.

You're focusing on one piece of what I said. I know it's a few paragraphs but the lack of slams is not the most important point. The point I'm trying to make is the man is a little too vanilla. Like premium, small batch, hand churned vanilla, but still... vanilla.

Hopefully you understand that I fully recognize he's way ahead of the pack skill-wise and don't mean to take anything away from his ability. I'm not going full KB here, I'm just saying people would care more if he threw some sprinkles in here or there, or maybe some hot fudge. I know I would eat that shit up.

Edit: you must also understand that I'm the type of person that would rather watch someone like Oskar Rozenberg do stand up grinds for 3 minutes than watch 3 minutes of a technically impressive, squeaky clean street video part. Both are great, but we all have our preferences and perspectives.

Normally I fall into the latter category, or at least I would rather watch street in general. But I would absolutely prefer to watch 3 minutes of oski over Suciu, any day. Thank you for #standingwithKB
He needs the support now more than ever with ol Marky staring down the SOTY barrel.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »

and really when it comes right down to it, all any of them amount to is that he should wear slightly flowier pants. But really he should.

IpathCats

« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »

Damn brother....perhaps the hate......stems from within....   

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2021, 04:49:14 PM »
Can’t we just give SOTY to Tony Hawk?

As we all know from Clives day in the life by now, Tony does basically the same thing Sucio does. Which is skating street in NYC.
But as far as i recall, Suciu has not done a 900. Or even a 540.

So..

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2021, 05:09:17 PM »
Can’t we just give SOTY to Tony Hawk?

As we all know from Clives day in the life by now, Tony does basically the same thing Sucio does. Which is skating street in NYC.
But as far as i recall, Suciu has not done a 900. Or even a 540.

So..

I am willing to bet that Mark has done a 540 of some kind

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2021, 05:38:48 PM »
Yeah he’s basically if Marc Johnson had no style.
Okay, but… another MJ comes along, and he not gon’ get the nod because he’s too smooth looking when he skate, and he reads/discusses literature?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2021, 05:40:09 PM »
Give it to Shane Onell, he has nice swithflips.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »

COTY.

Brguy

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2021, 05:47:51 PM »
I think one of the root issues people have and have tried to explain is that he's too "in control." Now, before I explain what I'm thinking, I wanna say that this is not necessarily a bad thing, and I am not advocating for Suciu to go "full Deathwish" lol, but I think his level of control can account (at least in part) for why he doesn't appeal to as many people as he probably should.

He never looks like he's going a bit too fast for comfort, his parts rarely display any sort of real struggle (I can't recall ever seeing him slam, leave me a link if you have), his feet are never askew in any noticeable way upon landing. It's like watching footage of someone playing a very realistic skate video game, his skating is like... algorithmic. Pair this with his lack of power (yeah, he doesn't really have any which isn't necessarily a problem on its own) and the bland music choices for his parts, and you get a dude who's done things that warrant at least one SOTY but may never actually win it because all of the above reasons serve to dampen the impact of what he's doing.

People can't deny that he rips, and most people love skaters who rip... but he's just too unrelatable. And no lol,  it's not because he can read, although he has come of as pretentious on more than one occasion imo. But hell, there are plenty of psuedointellectual skaters who aren't actually educated that are a lot worse.

He's done amazing things and is better than most but to me,, he's not a Thrasher Skater of The Year kinda guy. Maybe a Transworld Skater of The Year, if that is a thing (is it?).
I'll put it in fewer words, lack of authenticity. Tricks usually look good when you push yourself or when you do it just because you fucking can, the amount of planning and how he doesn't do anything that he can't do perfectly makes for very boring footage. Verso was sick though, he masterminded that shit.

And "He could use a trip to flavor country" is the best quote in this thread.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Okay, but… another MJ comes along, and he not gon’ get the nod because he’s too smooth looking when he skate, and he reads/discusses literature?

Sorry Lou, he may push boundaries on the skateboard like MJ did... but he just doesn't have what MJ had. I said it once and I'll say it again... he's got no FLAVOR, baby! His skating lacks... tastiness.

The dude is smooth as all hell, and probably deserves it, but I don't think enough people are really as impressed as they could (should?) be.

Put the flowy pants on him and he's got my vote, though.

Yu Dum

« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sorry Lou, he may push boundaries on the skateboard like MJ did... but he just doesn't have what MJ had. I said it once and I'll say it again... he's got no FLAVOR, baby! His skating lacks... tastiness.

The dude is smooth as all hell, and probably deserves it, but I don't think enough people are really as impressed as they could (should?) be.

Put the flowy pants on him and he's got my vote, though.
I’ve been biting my tongue while reading this thread, but I feel like you’ve finally put to words how I feel about Mark. I know he’s INCREDIBLY talented and can do damn near whatever he wants on a skateboard, but nothing after Search the Horizon has really made me feel anything. Like you said, he’s lacking in Flavor.
His last three parts have been an outstanding display of his abilities, yet it all feels pretty stale.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2021, 06:30:57 PM »
give it to john shanahan
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2021, 07:03:16 PM »
We're talking about Marc Johnson here, it's hard to have that much flavor for anyone. Even the posed landings during fully flared and pretty sweet had taste

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »
So when being presented the trophy, they usually catch people in their environment. IE:  Ave at his park or TJ at Tompkins. With how choreographed this campaign was, I can see them "surprising" dude in the campus library. (Whispering) "Oh my god guys! This is amazing. I was just here trying to meet my quota for women authors read for the year and you show up with the trophy. Let's go over here by the microfiche so we don't interrupt anyone studying."

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2021, 07:25:33 PM »
I think one of the root issues people have and have tried to explain is that he's too "in control." Now, before I explain what I'm thinking, I wanna say that this is not necessarily a bad thing, and I am not advocating for Suciu to go "full Deathwish" lol, but I think his level of control can account (at least in part) for why he doesn't appeal to as many people as he probably should.

He never looks like he's going a bit too fast for comfort, his parts rarely display any sort of real struggle (I can't recall ever seeing him slam, leave me a link if you have), his feet are never askew in any noticeable way upon landing. It's like watching footage of someone playing a very realistic skate video game, his skating is like... algorithmic. Pair this with his lack of power (yeah, he doesn't really have any which isn't necessarily a problem on its own) and the bland music choices for his parts, and you get a dude who's done things that warrant at least one SOTY but may never actually win it because all of the above reasons serve to dampen the impact of what he's doing.

People can't deny that he rips, and most people love skaters who rip... but he's just too unrelatable. And no lol,  it's not because he can read, although he has come of as pretentious on more than one occasion imo. But hell, there are plenty of psuedointellectual skaters who aren't actually educated that are a lot worse.

He's done amazing things and is better than most but to me,, he's not a Thrasher Skater of The Year kinda guy. Maybe a Transworld Skater of The Year, if that is a thing (is it?).

There's a clip of him falling off the courthouse drop and over a barrier in his new part. Plus a few others in various rough cuts.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2021, 09:11:42 PM »
Now that I've seen the new Bronze video, I vote Dick Rizzo. Grand Prairie and Reuben combined into some strong shiz
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2021, 09:52:45 PM »
So when being presented the trophy, they usually catch people in their environment. IE:  Ave at his park or TJ at Tompkins. With how choreographed this campaign was, I can see them "surprising" dude in the campus library. (Whispering) "Oh my god guys! This is amazing. I was just here trying to meet my quota for women authors read for the year and you show up with the trophy. Let's go over here by the microfiche so we don't interrupt anyone studying."
LOL would gnar if i could

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2021, 04:20:56 AM »
@Blind Fisherman the worst part about it is that I want to be stoked on his stuff, in fact I know I should be. But... I'm just not.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2021, 05:03:38 AM »
I hope it's either Suciu or Dilo.
Dilo would be great because his trajectory is not too common in the industry.
I love Chima, but IMO he doesn't deserve SOTY this year.