Author Topic: Jeremy Klein's watertower ollie  (Read 21114 times)

somefucker

Re: mark suciu = soty?
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22:05 AM »

OldSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2021, 05:22:10 AM »
It's been a wild couple years for skateboarding, lot of dudes channeling the "fuck it" and "life is short" energy from these challenging times and taking skateboarding to unbelievable places in the proccess, skating bigger, skating faster, looser, more out of control and more hellride by the day, unleashing the human spirit in ways most people will only dream of. Mark Suciu is one of those people that can only sit and ponder what it feels like to skate as powerfully and confidently as Austyn Gillette, Tom Knox or any of the other quickfoot legends, nor will he ever have the inertia, pop, or stomping power of a Nik Stain, Kyle Wilson (UK) or Tyshawn because his child like build won't permit it. If there were weight classes in skateboarding, like there is in boxing, he would dominate the ~120lb featherweight group no question. But that would be a league of skating I would have little or no interest in. His parts are truely hard to watch, his style is neurotic and painful looking, his fits are CCS back-to-school grade and his spots are tiny. Wish I could post a couple screenshots of his face in the clip with the orange RVCA hoody. Mark doesnt need a SoTY the same way Jaws doesn't need a SoTY, its like good shit kid, but at the end of the day it hurts to watch and you make skateboarding look lame as a whole. Dont get me wrong I would love to see him go full deathwish someday, but that someday was not this past year.

you seem remarkably bitter

somefucker

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2021, 05:38:16 AM »
It's been a wild couple years for skateboarding, lot of dudes channeling the "fuck it" and "life is short" energy from these challenging times and taking skateboarding to unbelievable places in the proccess, skating bigger, skating faster, looser, more out of control and more hellride by the day, unleashing the human spirit in ways most people will only dream of. Mark Suciu is one of those people that can only sit and ponder what it feels like to skate as powerfully and confidently as Austyn Gillette, Tom Knox or any of the other quickfoot legends, nor will he ever have the inertia, pop, or stomping power of a Nik Stain, Kyle Wilson (UK) or Tyshawn because his child like build won't permit it. If there were weight classes in skateboarding, like there is in boxing, he would dominate the ~120lb featherweight group no question. But that would be a league of skating I would have little or no interest in. His parts are truely hard to watch, his style is neurotic and painful looking, his fits are CCS back-to-school grade and his spots are tiny. Wish I could post a couple screenshots of his face in the clip with the orange RVCA hoody. Mark doesnt need a SoTY the same way Jaws doesn't need a SoTY, its like good shit kid, but at the end of the day it hurts to watch and you make skateboarding look lame as a whole. Dont get me wrong I would love to see him go full deathwish someday, but that someday was not this past year.

mommy wont get you the christmas complete huh?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2021, 06:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mark should grab a ledge and go on dancing with the stars. He'd win that.
[close]
He actually did a Thrasher piece on tactful ledge combos. He called out Koston for his Menikmati combos, surprised he didn’t flip out.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/mark-suciu-s-5-tricks-that-go-great-together/
[close]
"which makes you think about the origins of creativity and where combo tricks stand in relation to the abyss."
Is stuff like this that soils his image.

Stuff like this is so painful to read. And then to see him talking about how he intended to get his masters in Creative Writing? Oooof
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »
O'grady could spit out a part and clinch it or Delfino. He was kinda robbed by the Silva barrage last year
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »
I love(d) Mark's skating but ever since his sabotage4 part the quality has dropped significantly.
ohyeahohyeah

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2021, 10:27:04 AM »
O'grady could spit out a part and clinch it or Delfino. He was kinda robbed by the Silva barrage last year

Was he robbed or just overshadowed?

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »
Dear people who think Mark shouldn't win SOTY because of his "image":

Chris Cole has 2 SOTYs

Love,
Me

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:39 PM »
Wouldn't mind if mark wins but I'd love for Dilo to get it if his next part slaps

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2021, 12:24:09 PM »
Wouldn't mind if mark wins but I'd love for Dilo to get it if his next part slaps

Dilo is worthy but is new to the game relatively.

Marks deserves this
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »

Chris Cole has 2 SOTYs

Love,
Me

for me suciu winning would be similar to MJ winning.   MJ doesnt really do hellride shit

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
He absolutely deserves it and the blubba tricks are mindblowing. I just dont really enjoy watching his skating that much and I don't know why

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »
Deserved it last year and this year though milton was was not a bad choice at all.
Dude skates like no one else and rips.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Chris Cole has 2 SOTYs

Love,
Me
[close]

for me suciu winning would be similar to MJ winning.   MJ doesnt really do hellride shit

Or Daewon - I mean Daewon does ridiculous shit but he doesn’t have that hellride image.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »

There are a some posters on this site who have an unbelievably deep knowledge on the subject and history of skateboarding.
They are so obsessed with the minutiae of this thing we love and can craft such insightful and interesting talking points about skating that I sometimes feel intimidated to post.
I love seeing posts like the one above because it reassures me that at least I could never post a take as spectacularly bad as that one.
Unless you are trolling, in which case good job!

strongererections

• Rep: -14
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2021, 07:20:46 PM »
sooch has too much dainty girl style for me id put him under a transvestigation, not for me

slop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2021, 07:21:40 PM »
ugh,

I'm a a suciu fan, but that thrasher article is fucked.
The cringe factor from trying to sound so educated is horrible.

I probably wrote some things I would look back on and feel embarrassed about too.
Luckily nobody cares or can pull those up three years later to show me.

Spitfire part was amazing, blubba tricks especially. Would be happy to see him get soty
Excited to see what else drops in the next month.
Love the soty rush content while its happening 

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2021, 06:46:01 AM »
No SOTY for Mark until we get the 9 minute full part only at Pulaski, to Sufjan Stevens “Casimir Pulaski Day”

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:04 AM »
Andrew Allen.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2021, 09:12:39 AM »
suciu skates like this

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2021, 09:31:12 AM »
I think one of the root issues people have and have tried to explain is that he's too "in control." Now, before I explain what I'm thinking, I wanna say that this is not necessarily a bad thing, and I am not advocating for Suciu to go "full Deathwish" lol, but I think his level of control can account (at least in part) for why he doesn't appeal to as many people as he probably should.

He never looks like he's going a bit too fast for comfort, his parts rarely display any sort of real struggle (I can't recall ever seeing him slam, leave me a link if you have), his feet are never askew in any noticeable way upon landing. It's like watching footage of someone playing a very realistic skate video game, his skating is like... algorithmic. Pair this with his lack of power (yeah, he doesn't really have any which isn't necessarily a problem on its own) and the bland music choices for his parts, and you get a dude who's done things that warrant at least one SOTY but may never actually win it because all of the above reasons serve to dampen the impact of what he's doing.

People can't deny that he rips, and most people love skaters who rip... but he's just too unrelatable. And no lol,  it's not because he can read, although he has come of as pretentious on more than one occasion imo. But hell, there are plenty of psuedointellectual skaters who aren't actually educated that are a lot worse.

He's done amazing things and is better than most but to me,, he's not a Thrasher Skater of The Year kinda guy. Maybe a Transworld Skater of The Year, if that is a thing (is it?).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:28:50 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »

I figured taking the long winded approach would not be recieved well, but if you tried harder you'd see what I'm trying to say.

Skateboarding is subjective of course, and so not everyone will agree with this... but for me (and many others trying to articulate it, albeit with less respect) Mark is a rare case in that he's a more than amazing skater hindered by his perfection. It is inherently human to connect with others who display their imperfections, and Mark gives us none, hence why not everyone connects with his skating. It's like the idea of someone being a "robot" (remeber the Zigram Shane O'Neil jokes?), but I'd say Suciu has more style and soul than to fall into that category. Still, there's nothing particularly unique about his style (not counting the technicality of the tricks he's doing, which is off the charts) and his skating is so perfect and under control that it's just not as exciting as it could be.

@Donkey Lips hope this helps

Edit: I think he idolizes MJ and progresses skating in similar ways when speaking of trick technicality and combos, but the flavor is not the same. He could use a trip to flavor country.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:33:24 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
Yeah he’s basically if Marc Johnson had no style.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »

damn

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »

I've actually seen him skate in person and I like his style, he was skating with Karl Watson/ Maxallure guys.  They were doing a free demo,

what really gave mark's personality away was that he brought his mom and she was introducing herself as people were trying to meet him.  Hes a upper class suburb kid and a mommas boy

mayor-quimby

• Rep: -22
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
The reason why Mark should get SOTY is that he has consistently been a 'top performer' year after year for the last... 5(?) years, at this point not recognizing him as a force seems to be to the detriment of all of skating...

Regardless of his own style (or lack thereof) he has inspired many other skateboarders with his approach (Tom Knox, Bobby dekeyzer etc).

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
can´t really understand that people hate on Mark - he is to good to hate one.
he is on a MJ, Kosten, Daewon level since years with his footage output.

i am not a fan - I watch his parts max 2 times and don't want to skate like that - but we should
recognize and acknowledge outstanding and inimitable skateboarding.

if he get SOTY I would be fine with it, even if his kind of skateboarding did not touch my heart
like and Andrew Allen, Martino Cattaneo or Jimmy Wilkins is doing.

OldSkater

« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »
ugh,

I'm a a suciu fan, but that thrasher article is fucked.
The cringe factor from trying to sound so educated is horrible.

I probably wrote some things I would look back on and feel embarrassed about too.
Luckily nobody cares or can pull those up three years later to show me.

Spitfire part was amazing, blubba tricks especially. Would be happy to see him get soty
Excited to see what else drops in the next month.
Love the soty rush content while its happening

im with you. I like to watch him skate way more than listen to him talk.

when he was on the nine club, they asked him what his favorite movie was, and he mentioned some foreign film he admitted he fell asleep during.

Like, just say "happy gilmore" or "blazing saddles" like a normal person, you don't look more intelligent saying your favorite flick is something so obscure and boring you took a nap during it.

His skateboarding is pretty awesome tho

OldSkater

« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2021, 12:00:24 PM »
I think one of the root issues people have and have tried to explain is that he's too "in control." Now, before I explain what I'm thinking, I wanna say that this is not necessarily a bad thing, and I am not advocating for Suciu to go "full Deathwish" lol, but I think his level of control can account (at least in part) for why he doesn't appeal to as many people as he probably should.

He never looks like he's going a bit too fast for comfort, his parts rarely display any sort of real struggle (I can't recall ever seeing him slam, leave me a link if you have), his feet are never askew in any noticeable way upon landing. It's like watching footage of someone playing a very realistic skate video game, his skating is like... algorithmic. Pair this with his lack of power (yeah, he doesn't really have any which isn't necessarily a problem on its own) and the bland music choices for his parts, and you get a dude who's done things that warrant at least one SOTY but may never actually win it because all of the above reasons serve to dampen the impact of what he's doing.

People can't deny that he rips, and most people love skaters who rip... but he's just too unrelatable. And no lol,  it's not because he can read, although he has come of as pretentious on more than one occasion imo. But hell, there are plenty of psuedointellectual skaters who aren't actually educated that are a lot worse.

He's done amazing things and is better than most but to me,, he's not a Thrasher Skater of The Year kinda guy. Maybe a Transworld Skater of The Year, if that is a thing (is it?).

dude he has a slam in this very part. why write a novel like this when you didn't even watch the relevant link haha