Author Topic: Jeremy Klein's watertower ollie  (Read 20996 times)

davidbeckham2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -38
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: mark suciu = soty?
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »
imagine being diamond footwear and you think because jamie foys fat ass is going be soty you are making good business by paying all for it just to find out that still nobody wants your shitty shoes

RikiTakeuchi

• Rep: 5
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2021, 10:47:33 PM »
I don't get the complaints that Mark is 'desperate' or pushing too hard to finally get SOTY.

did the same people complain when Mason Silva pushed so hard? He basically spent a year walking around with a megaphone shouting 'give me it'

Brguy

« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2021, 03:27:57 AM »
I don't get the complaints that Mark is 'desperate' or pushing too hard to finally get SOTY.

did the same people complain when Mason Silva pushed so hard? He basically spent a year walking around with a megaphone shouting 'give me it'
Mason didn't put out timely parts of throwaway footage and then a decent part in the end of the year, he regularly put out parts with some of the gnarliest shit at the time, stuff that he 100% wouldn't even want to try again, as opposed to mark which is stuff he could do any day of the week.

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2021, 04:18:43 AM »
Yeah I believe the mason Silva/ mark suciu
Comparison is relevant. Mason put out consistent soty worthy bangers most of the year whereas mark front loaded the end of the year with three great parts. They were all very good but it lead to a suciu fatigue in my opinion. A lot of individual soty worthy tricks but none of the parts altogether screamed “soty” like mason Silva’s spitfire part. The logical part of me says mark deserves it this year but the emotional part of me thinks chima should get it. He’s a dad in his 30s and knocked it the fuck out with that part. What I’ve felt and what this thread has been validating for me is that the criteria for soty is emotional and hard to quantify

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2021, 05:11:18 AM »
If suciu didn’t get it for verso he shouldn’t get it for whatever throw away shit he’s put out, suciu is skateboarding gentrification personified, who else gets his sponsors to pay him to post up in different cities so he can cosplay as a local and get all this insane footage, I didn’t like it when he did it in philly and I don’t like it when he does in in NYC, iono verso was a great representation of his skating, and if that wasn’t enough for thrasher to give you soty then walk away bub, you seem desperate, skating Max’s spot tryin to keep his relevancy……it lacks taste
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2021, 05:29:06 AM »
If suciu didn’t get it for verso he shouldn’t get it for whatever throw away shit he’s put out, suciu is skateboarding gentrification personified, who else gets his sponsors to pay him to post up in different cities so he can cosplay as a local and get all this insane footage , I didn’t like it when he did it in philly and I don’t like it when he does in in NYC, iono verso was a great representation of his skating, and if that wasn’t enough for thrasher to give you soty then walk away bub, you seem desperate, skating Max’s spot tryin to keep his relevancy……it lacks taste

You mean…traveling?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2021, 05:45:25 AM »
Guys, it sounds like Mark stole your girlfriend

Rowan on shots fired
it's funny but

Do people really think Mark can ignore Max's reign over this fountain ?
what if Mark, like all of us, respects Max and this trick, which is obviously really similar, is an homage ?
Can he realistically be like "I'll go for half cab crooked to one up Max's half cab nose" ?

it might be really stupid to think Suciu would go that way.
Despite all the insincere hate, he's still a genuine skate rat
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:07:13 AM by BALARGUE »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2021, 06:20:07 AM »
Heard he just watched Mind Goblin and flew out to Berlin.  He’s currently trying to switch heel those two sets in a row as a tribute to Troy Gipson, and trying to fakie hard up switch tre down those other stairs in honour of TJ.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2021, 06:27:10 AM »
People act like Max was the only person to ever skate that fountain. It got skated long before Max blew it up. Nobody threw shade when that trendy Asian kid skated it in a recent part. That gifted hater kid loved the dude for skating that spot.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2021, 07:28:02 AM »
Heard he just watched Mind Goblin and flew out to Berlin.  He’s currently trying to switch heel those two sets in a row as a tribute to Troy Gipson, and trying to fakie hard up switch tre down those other stairs in honour of TJ.

Better throw in a double heel and forward flip if he wants to one up Hyun.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2021, 07:37:18 AM »
I get some of the Suciu criticisms, obviously, but I see him as a Kalis-like skate rat that absorbs the plaza cultures he visits and incorporates it into his aesthetic fold before moving on. Like a tasteful Akira skate rate <3 just living life and exploring scenes and spots. Plus he's wearing baggy pants in 2021 to silence the pants hate. I still watch Away Days part frequently. Anyways, so many skaters killed it this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACUbFVD96s&t=126s

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
Expand Quote
If suciu didn’t get it for verso he shouldn’t get it for whatever throw away shit he’s put out, suciu is skateboarding gentrification personified, who else gets his sponsors to pay him to post up in different cities so he can cosplay as a local and get all this insane footage , I didn’t like it when he did it in philly and I don’t like it when he does in in NYC, iono verso was a great representation of his skating, and if that wasn’t enough for thrasher to give you soty then walk away bub, you seem desperate, skating Max’s spot tryin to keep his relevancy……it lacks taste
[close]

You mean…traveling?

Lol I've read his comment 3 times now.

Dude just posted the job description for every professional skateboarding sponsorship ever.

That's what they're all supposed to do. Travel and film. It's just jarring cos Mark is one of the few pros that lives up to the obligations of his employer.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
is there anyone here who is actually from new york and skates there regularly?

sure there are different crews and lots of spots. but is it possible that marc doesn't have any skate friends at am/pro level, except his filmer?

he obviously doesn't hang out with the supreme/Fa dudes, not with max palmers hipster gang,... just to name the most famous ones.

is he actually unpopular in the NYC scene (and hence all the mobbing he's getting from some other skaters on insta atm)? Or is he just more of a lone wolf type?

somehow i have the feeling that a lot of " last person you want on the sesh" at the Bunt would be answered with Marc Suciu if you asked NY skaters

i am curious

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129

whagman

• Rep: -13
Re: Jeremy Klein's watertower ollie
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »
what’s the difference between larping and cosplaying?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »
I get some of the Suciu criticisms, obviously, but I see him as a Kalis-like skate rat that absorbs the plaza cultures he visits and incorporates it into his aesthetic fold before moving on. Like a tasteful Akira skate rate <3 just living life and exploring scenes and spots. Plus he's wearing baggy pants in 2021 to silence the pants hate. I still watch Away Days part frequently. Anyways, so many skaters killed it this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACUbFVD96s&t=126s
Good comparison to Kalis. Plus, if you've listened to him interviewed he was heavily influenced by early to mid 2000s Alien, especially Pops. Plus, are we hating on Welsh for moving to SF from New England and becoming totally about that scene or Max and Cyrus moving to NYC, etc.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2021, 10:46:36 AM »
All that "hood hopper" stuff is dumb. You are inevitably influenced by the scene around you... however, although the approach is just fine, his skating just doesn't land like Kalis' or Welsh's.

I was watching that new IG Louie clip where he's blasting backside airs, fucking up transition and thought, "Here's a guy that never looks uncomfortable on a skateboard, just like Suciu, but his skating is so much more entertaining." Ishod is similar, always looking on point but it just hits different. It's hard to quantify and explain, but those two guys are so much sicker than Suciu to me. Louie for SOTY, fuck it.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

El Rey

• Rep: -2
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2021, 10:55:14 AM »
The only drawback to Suciu footage is that he makes it look too easy. His skating is incredibly effortless. If his board got a little squirrelly after the switch 180 off courthouse, or if he squatted extra low and let his hand drag the pavement on a few of these clips it might tip the scales.

Basically, Suciu doesn't seem theatrical enough for Thrasher. There needs to be some blood spilled or, hell, a few dirty sweat-soaked shirts to make an impression on the Mag darkmen.

Sums it up pretty well. Personally Suciu is too clean for me, his tricks and skating do nothing for me. Surely he's great and got skills but I'd rather watch other people skate. Yuto's the same. I'm just not into the all-tricks-perfectly-executed robot skaters.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2021, 11:20:17 AM »
Expand Quote
The only drawback to Suciu footage is that he makes it look too easy. His skating is incredibly effortless. If his board got a little squirrelly after the switch 180 off courthouse, or if he squatted extra low and let his hand drag the pavement on a few of these clips it might tip the scales.

Basically, Suciu doesn't seem theatrical enough for Thrasher. There needs to be some blood spilled or, hell, a few dirty sweat-soaked shirts to make an impression on the Mag darkmen.
[close]

Sums it up pretty well. Personally Suciu is too clean for me, his tricks and skating do nothing for me. Surely he's great and got skills but I'd rather watch other people skate. Yuto's the same. I'm just not into the all-tricks-perfectly-executed robot skaters.
I find some of the robotic skaters stuff comes across as souless and while technically pushing skateboarding not very influential. I've never felt that way with Suciu. I feel Cross Continental is one of the most influential parts of the past decade or so, and really influenced how things are edited and trick selection. Suciu really pushed these insanely difficult back breaker tricks in an era when it was heavily about flip in flip out when it came to technical progression.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
what’s the difference between larping and cosplaying?

Larping is pretending to be someone or something you're not, like a civilian pretending to be a government worker, or a white person pretending to be another race online. Cosplaying is also pretending to be someone you're not but usually a fictional character from anime or manga and dressing up like that character.

c-dock

• Rep: 8
  • Lurker
« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2021, 05:27:34 PM »

sure there are different crews and lots of spots. but is it possible that marc doesn't have any skate friends at am/pro level, except his filmer?

he obviously doesn't hang out with the supreme/Fa dudes, not with max palmers hipster gang,... just to name the most famous ones.

is he actually unpopular in the NYC scene (and hence all the mobbing he's getting from some other skaters on insta atm)? Or is he just more of a lone wolf type?

somehow i have the feeling that a lot of " last person you want on the sesh" at the Bunt would be answered with Marc Suciu if you asked NY skaters

i am curious

Maybe, just maybe… he simply doesn’t have a lot in common with other skaters. People tend to skate with those who they can also just hang out with… and I doubt the Supreme/FA dudes are into hitting the library post sesh. I know I’ve made friends where skating was all we had in common, and those friendships don’t tend to last long before it fades away

quackquack

• Rep: -379
« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote

i am curious
[close]

Maybe, just maybe… he simply doesn’t have a lot in common with other skaters. People tend to skate with those who they can also just hang out with… and I doubt the Supreme/FA dudes are into hitting the library post sesh. I know I’ve made friends where skating was all we had in common, and those friendships don’t tend to last long before it fades away

Oh, the places you'll go.

CliffCoughman

« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2021, 10:27:14 PM »
A mans with no crew is highly sus in 2021. Mans with no posse and his sessions look boring as fuck. Who's going on the SoTY trip? Frankie Spears?

veritas

« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2021, 02:56:29 AM »
Mark skated it better to be honest.

Expand Quote

Rowan on shots fired
[close]

And Shane O’Neill could probably skate it better than Mark, but both are still boring to watch despite their insane talent.

As far as rewatch value on a desert island I’ll take any Max part over these sad boi Elliot smith gentle guitar at the coffeehouse edits that Mark drops. Traveling city to city and emulating or one-upping other people’s creativity isn’t the same as being the one who had the creative eye to begin with.

Dopethrone

• Rep: -20
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2021, 03:22:05 AM »
I dont get it, has everyone forgot about chimas part already?
His part was constant bangers

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2021, 03:55:31 AM »
A mans with no crew is highly sus in 2021. Mans with no posse and his sessions look boring as fuck. Who's going on the SoTY trip? Frankie Spears?

Sabotage crew doesnt count? I know its been a few years but being part of that has to mean something.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2021, 04:08:23 AM »
Has Shane O'Neill ever put out a part?

Weededed

• Rep: 199
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2021, 04:46:06 AM »

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2021, 05:40:18 AM »

I think people expect the SOTY to be quality + quantity + consistency + a certain hellride quality

Chima has everything but the quantity, didn't he only release the one part this year?

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 9
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2021, 06:01:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think people expect the SOTY to be quality + quantity + consistency + a certain hellride quality

Chima has everything but the quantity, didn't he only release the one part this year?

I think Chima should get Soty. Tricks are NBD on gnarly stuff. Just wish the part was a better edit.