Author Topic: Mice  (Read 1268 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Mice
« on: November 20, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
We got them this time last year. It's the change in the weather that makes them want to come in doors. Caught them easy with traps

This year they're back but they just aren't taking the bait. Anyone have tips on how to get rid of them ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
Re: Mice
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »
Used to work pest control
My advice would be a mixture of different things. Always have snap traps along the floor trim, rats and mice will always hug the walls and avoid open space if they can help it. Glue traps are effective but a little distasteful because they're still alive sometimes and then you have to introduce them to mr. shovel in the back garden. If you can get a hold of bait stations that have blocks of pesticide and grains mixed together, they're effective but just make sure any pets you have don't eat the dead vermin. Then I'd recommend checking if you have any holes in the walls or cabinets or space behind the stove that they could wriggle through, if your space is sealed tight you will have much less of them getting in

mushroom slice

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »
Get a cat.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
My advice would be a mixture of different things. Always have snap traps along the floor trim, rats and mice will always hug the walls and avoid open space if they can help it. Glue traps are effective but a little distasteful because they're still alive sometimes and then you have to introduce them to mr. shovel in the back garden. If you can get a hold of bait stations that have blocks of pesticide and grains mixed together, they're effective but just make sure any pets you have don't eat the dead vermin. Then I'd recommend checking if you have any holes in the walls or cabinets or space behind the stove that they could wriggle through, if your space is sealed tight you will have much less of them getting in

Interesting. I'll set the traps along the wall skirting. I'm gonna get expanding foam and close up around pipes in the bathroom.

In your experience they can always be dealt with can they ? Just takes time.

Get a cat.

We were planning on getting a dog in the new year. Don't think they work as well as cats though.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 12:59:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting. I'll set the traps along the wall skirting. I'm gonna get expanding foam and close up around pipes in the bathroom.

Depends. Do you live in a more urban or rural area? Do you have a lot of hedges or ivy near or around your house? Any sort of bushes are a haven for rats and mice to live and breed in. If you have a full service with multiple methods like i outlined above, you can eliminate a good amount of them with regular maintenance

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Depends. Do you live in a more urban or rural area? Do you have a lot of hedges or ivy near or around your house? Any sort of bushes are a haven for rats and mice to live and breed in. If you have a full service with multiple methods like i outlined above, you can eliminate a good amount of them with regular maintenance

I'm in the city. There's some construction going on near my House. That could have displaced them. I live near enough to a canal too.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 01:18:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm in the city. There's some construction going on near my House. That could have displaced them. I live near enough to a canal too.

Yeah that sounds about right. I'd use the expansion foam around wires and pipes and then set up snap traps and respond with further traps if the problem persists

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah that sounds about right. I'd use the expansion foam around wires and pipes and then set up snap traps and respond with further traps if the problem persists

Thanks man

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 01:55:20 PM »
For sure, lemme know if you have any further questions

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 05:52:56 AM »
Get a cat.

I almost wish we had mice so my cats would make themselves useful. All those dicks do is claw up my furniture, knock shit over, and shed.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 06:18:32 AM »
Genuinely worried about the Australian mouse plague. It hasn't been on the news in ages but I'm not convinced it's over. But last I heard it was still a few KMs away at least.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 06:27:47 AM »
Peanut butter + snap traps have always worked well for me. Used to have them in my attic, bastards would keep me up at night.

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 06:52:21 AM »
Before you spray the expansion foam, jam some steel wool into the cavity first. It kind of acts like rebar in concrete and makes it harder for them to chew through the foam.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 07:35:33 AM »
You’re going to need to battle this on all fronts.  Physical traps (the old fashioned ones that break their little backs are so satisfying), poison, a cat, fire, large artillery.  Try to eradicate possible nesting locations outside if you can. 

I remember I once rented a house only to realize a few months later that it was infested with mice.  It was out in the country so there’s all kinds of random wood piles and debris for the disgusting little things to nest and breed  >:( >:( >:(.  I remember trying to go to sleep and then hearing something pitter-pat sprint across the hardwood floor a couple feet away.  It triggers this primal response deep in your brain where you are instantly fully alert and ready for confrontation.

I tried to battle them before realizing that this house sat in the center of a much larger nexus of rodent habitats.  Big ass rats, skunks, possums (technically marsupials, I know), raccoons, groundhogs, moles, etc.  I realized I was living in the middle of the rodent kingdom so I just gave up and moved.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »
https://youtu.be/USrA-s-Unhg
https://youtu.be/FRstoYm8CcA

If you want to get creative you could always train am army of minks and monitors to fuck up your local rodent ecosystem.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »
the 1st place i ever moved out to was a duplex. when they renovated next door all the mice came over. returned from a weekend and glue traps were full of dying creatures. was not fun. didnt stay long

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 12:12:04 PM »
for me its easy to see where they came in cause my house only has 2 sides (condo complex type thing)
was chilling out there and saw exactly where the guy cmae in, cats got him, then i just got a specia lsrpay foam for mice so far so good
ONTARIO CANADA

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 12:50:05 PM »
In my city, they tore down 2  old hospitals (replaced with a modern hospital), and a GM plant (not replaced lol) within the last 10 years. Essentially,  tens of thousands of rats needed a new home.
We built a deck in 2020 with "in deck lighting". Our  dog passed away on black Friday last year. Within a week the rats chewed the wires on the deck. I fixed the wiring last summer, and they re chewed the wires within days.  The deck is only about 8 -10 inches off the ground. I have trapped about 15 rats, like huge rats, poisoned multiple rats. I dug down 36  inches and put down layers of chicken wire around the exposed perimeter of the deck. I think I have it under control now, but they fucked up the lighting 2x and I had to pull up the deck boards to fix the lighting. It was a process. Its composite lumber, which uses a clip system. So you have to pull up entire sections to get at one. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. I know. They never got into my house, but I am worried they will chew up my hot tub too.FWP
Rats are disgusting.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 01:01:20 PM »
Jesus

Dude if I got rats id just move out. Mice I can deal with

Thank your lucky stars your house is clear

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 10:43:17 PM »
Headphones....that's the only thing that's worked for me....the mice don't give a shit.  They are in my walls and we've set traps but never successfully trapped any. 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
In my city, they tore down 2  old hospitals (replaced with a modern hospital), and a GM plant (not replaced lol) within the last 10 years. Essentially,  tens of thousands of rats needed a new home.
We built a deck in 2020 with "in deck lighting". Our  dog passed away on black Friday last year. Within a week the rats chewed the wires on the deck. I fixed the wiring last summer, and they re chewed the wires within days.  The deck is only about 8 -10 inches off the ground. I have trapped about 15 rats, like huge rats, poisoned multiple rats. I dug down 36  inches and put down layers of chicken wire around the exposed perimeter of the deck. I think I have it under control now, but they fucked up the lighting 2x and I had to pull up the deck boards to fix the lighting. It was a process. Its composite lumber, which uses a clip system. So you have to pull up entire sections to get at one. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. I know. They never got into my house, but I am worried they will chew up my hot tub too.FWP
Rats are disgusting.

shit i would have just got a cat or two  ;D
ONTARIO CANADA

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
cats aren't a guarantee to be vicious hunters. Also, I don't like cats.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 09:01:53 PM »
I have two cats I'm willing to donate.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 11:06:11 PM »
I have two cats I'm willing to donate.

Lol that bad eh?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 07:32:46 AM »
cats aren't a guarantee to be vicious hunters. Also, I don't like cats.

thats why you get 2. one of mine is worthless but the other one is godlike
ONTARIO CANADA

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
I prefer dogs. A good hound or lab is a  great dog. My wife wants to get a non shedding lab doodle or something, so we are not getting a dog.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 07:58:07 AM »
my 1 friend has a cat that just lives outside of his house, he set up this little base for it with this heated pad and then covers it with a blanket overhead like a little fort underneath a table. all wildlife stays away from his house an extra like 15m radius now he noticed.
ONTARIO CANADA

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 08:16:25 AM »
I park my car outside on the street and mice crawled up inside (to stay warm during the winter) and chewed through several of the wires inside the engine bay. They're real fuckers those mice.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 09:27:37 AM »
I prefer dogs. A good hound or lab is a  great dog. My wife wants to get a non shedding lab doodle or something, so we are not getting a dog.

Too bourgeois
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 11:02:41 AM »
I googled that word.
YES.