Author Topic: How and why is Aiden Mackey pro?  (Read 15162 times)

giantposer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: How and why is Aiden Mackey pro?
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2021, 10:46:44 AM »
He barely flips his board, hardly ollies onto anything, needs to hold someones hand to slappy a rail.

https://youtu.be/vfnJlPCkemc

Cuz his style is gnarlier than shit covered piss

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
Expand Quote
He barely flips his board, hardly ollies onto anything, needs to hold someones hand to slappy a rail.

https://youtu.be/vfnJlPCkemc
[close]

Cuz his style is gnarlier than shit covered piss

Can piss be covered in shit? Given the fact piss is a liquid, I don't think it be covered in a solid.

I think piss covered shit would be more fitting.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
is having a signature trick still a thing?
Not sure if it’s still a thing, but THIS dude built a shoe empire that lasted nearly two decades as the unchallenged leader in skate footwear, out of a little Sims cash & a stupid trick (shown here) called the flare. Or la fusee, en France.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

El Rey

• Rep: -2
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Didn't know the guy before - but apart from what everyone else said:

* Goes fast with interesting tricks
* Has unique style - on board and persona
* I'd rather watch some of these clips again than the 100.000th big rail trick or big trick down some stairs which looks all the same nevertheless etc.
* Guy seems to have fun skating

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »
because the skateboarding industry is marketing based, not talent based. A lot of everyone's favorite skaters aren''t very good at riding a skateboard, but portray (project) an image they relate  to. hard pill to swallow, but if you don't like it change the channel.
Its the other way around - to manny people are really good in riding a skateboard and doing the wildest tricks with it.
Its not enough to be good at Skateboarding to become a face / personality for a skateboard hardgood brand. 

to the OP
Dill and Ave decide to create a sister brand for FA which shoud be more "edgy" "punk" "hardcore" then FA without being
a copy of all other "punk" "hardcore" brands  already in skateboarding - so you need to find people who gave that idea of a brand a look/ identity.
I am not a fan of Aiden - but big fan of AA.
At least we need to realize that Dill and Ave create two of the more successful new board brands of the last years.
Who thought that 20 years ago about Dill - if you see Kosten & Guy in comparison.(or manny other)
So they did more right then wrong. And Aiden´s Skateboarding is a part of that story of success.
For sure the Boards I see in the shop / wild are Tyshawn, Na-kel, Elijah and most of all the stamp embossed team boards.

This and all soft goods is the bread and butter of the brand. Aiden is more a side kick with one board per season - I have never seen his pro board so I assume that even that one board have a smaller production volume then each Tyshawn board.

Dont be worry that Aiden is a pro skateboarder - he is just living his life.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2021, 03:58:05 PM »
I feel like he was also this generations ride off a roof guy but moved on to bombing dirt hills when more people started getting roof clips
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

somefucker

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2021, 04:16:54 AM »
Not sure if it’s still a thing, but THIS dude built a shoe empire that lasted nearly two decades as the unchallenged leader in skate footwear, out of a little Sims cash & a stupid trick (shown here) called the flare. Or la fusee, en France.

i'm too young. i don't know whats happening here

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2021, 06:27:09 AM »
It's pretty interesting how many freestyle skaters went on to be the biggest industry players.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2021, 07:17:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a Christ Air, show some respect.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2021, 07:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's a Christ Air, show some respect.
Gnar’d for the laugh to start my morning with. Better than a cup of coffee.
I am thanks you!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2021, 07:49:52 AM »
was thinking about it last night and dancing on thin ice has i think ZERO handrails. dont think it has a single flip trick down stairs. theres hardly any stair sets in general, and normally they are skated in a unique way if there is one like a wall ride shove or going down that skinny ass suitcase ramp. there is not a single flat ground flip trick in the entire video as far as i know either.  oh just that massive hubba that he slams on in the very beginning  ;D
ONTARIO CANADA

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
was thinking about it last night and dancing on thin ice has i think ZERO handrails. dont think it has a single flip trick down stairs. theres hardly any stair sets in general, and normally they are skated in a unique way if there is one like a wall ride shove or going down that skinny ass suitcase ramp. there is not a single flat ground flip trick in the entire video as far as i know either.  oh just that massive hubba that he slams on in the very beginning  ;D

ok and what's wrong with that
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2021, 08:00:15 AM »
maybe watch a fucking fallen footwear tour video, that shit should satisfy your handrail and flips down stairs needs
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2021, 08:40:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ok and what's wrong with that

absolutely nothing, it could be my favorite video of all time
ONTARIO CANADA

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
because his firey ginger hair absorbs more light and thus protects other, more valuable team riders from harmful UV rays

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
https://youtu.be/ofnVlGln60M
No footage. Mackey of FA?

whagman

• Rep: -13
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »
Because he's marketable due to his association with Supreme. He's not the first and won't be the last of guys who go pro because they are in the right place at the right time and know the right people. I will say, FA has to be the least balanced team talent wise I've ever seen. They have 3 guys who are legit prodigies in Louie, KB and TJ, and then a couple of guys who are pro due to being homies with the right people.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2021, 01:21:41 PM »
Apparently OP hasn’t seen Boogie Nights.

svenfuck cowboy

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2021, 08:59:58 AM »
why do i have a feeling ur old as shit

Donald J Trump

• Rep: -1
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
why do i have a feeling ur old as shit

A lot of us are old as shit, that’s probably why. That being said, when I was growing up in the 90’s someone like Aiden would have been written off as someone who skates the way they do because they can’t do “real” tricks. He might even be written off as a poser who’s totally clueless about what it takes to skate on a professional level. That’s not to say that there weren’t quirky skateboarders who weren’t as skillfully talented and didn’t fit the conventional mold back then, but they wouldn’t have the opportunities to be front and center with the best sponsors. You compare him to someone like Antonio Durao, who we can argue has been shafted in terms of having consistent sponsors for the talent he possesses and could do all of Aiden’s tricks as a goof while still being able to put out amazing conventional skating, and it almost seems unfair that the same opportunities haven’t fallen his way. Had we taken these two guys and sent them back 20 years, Aiden’s skating would be done as a dork part by Antonio the way Koston did in Chomp On This, and Aiden would be the weird kid at the spot who would probably be vibed out by your hometown hero’s with shop sponsors who get a free pair of Accel’s/ Reynolds 3’s once a month on rep flow.

somefucker

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2021, 10:29:07 AM »
A lot of us are old as shit, that’s probably why. That being said, when I was growing up in the 90’s someone like Aiden would have been written off as someone who skates the way they do because they can’t do “real” tricks. He might even be written off as a poser who’s totally clueless about what it takes to skate on a professional level. That’s not to say that there weren’t quirky skateboarders who weren’t as skillfully talented and didn’t fit the conventional mold back then, but they wouldn’t have the opportunities to be front and center with the best sponsors. You compare him to someone like Antonio Durao, who we can argue has been shafted in terms of having consistent sponsors for the talent he possesses and could do all of Aiden’s tricks as a goof while still being able to put out amazing conventional skating, and it almost seems unfair that the same opportunities haven’t fallen his way. Had we taken these two guys and sent them back 20 years, Aiden’s skating would be done as a dork part by Antonio the way Koston did in Chomp On This, and Aiden would be the weird kid at the spot who would probably be vibed out by your hometown hero’s with shop sponsors who get a free pair of Accel’s/ Reynolds 3’s once a month on rep flow.

tldr: the bar for pros has been lowered over time

svenfuck cowboy

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that or less people care abt "conventional" skating. whether that's lowering the bar or natural progression of what's popular i simply do not care

somefucker

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »
that or less people care abt "conventional" skating. whether that's lowering the bar or natural progression of what's popular i simply do not care

skating is doing it's thing it does - becoming insanely popular and amassing tons of pros who very well could be washed up in a decade's time. it'll be unpopular again and the 'conventional' skating will rise once more. i hope egg shapes replace the popsicle when that happens.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Exactly. The industry is big enough and the interest wide enough that there are pros who can fit into narrow slots which didn't exist even a decade ago.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2021, 02:00:13 PM »
Hey man, Aidan being pro gave me that feeling of "huh, well maybe I wasn't super far off from achieving my 13yr old self's dreams after all"

...and I kinda like that feeling.

Plus Aidan is niche. Big, broad companies like Vans pay for niche. He might not have as big of an audience as CJ Collins or Curren Caples but I guarantee his audience are 10x more loyal and engaged with anything he's associated with.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »
Hey man, Aidan being pro gave me that feeling of "huh, well maybe I wasn't super far off from achieving my 13yr old self's dreams after all"

...and I kinda like that feeling.

Plus Aidan is niche. Big, broad companies like Vans pay for niche. He might not have as big of an audience as CJ Collins or Curren Caples but I guarantee his audience are 10x more loyal and engaged with anything he's associated with.

When Aidan had the IG handle 'eatingmychips' or whatever it was, I would see so many variations of that by his fans. Same with Ben Kadow (dragon_fukker, bk4000 etc).

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2021, 03:42:52 PM »
Because he's marketable due to his association with Supreme. He's not the first and won't be the last of guys who go pro because they are in the right place at the right time and know the right people. I will say, FA has to be the least balanced team talent wise I've ever seen. They have 3 guys who are legit prodigies in Louie, KB and TJ, and then a couple of guys who are pro due to being homies with the right people.
The classic Castillo/Crob theory
Free Charlie Rambo

Spectre

• Rep: -40
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
It's supreme's way of showing contempt for us peasants

Dude! Haha this actually  made me chuckle out loud