Author Topic: When did you stop going out to drink every weekend?  (Read 2016 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: When did you stop going out to drink every weekend?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
I stopped drinking in Sept 2015, just a few months after I turned 30.

I went out at least 5 nights a week to at least have a few beers and shot of whisky. Generally sat on the stoop, drank a few beers, maybe ate something, walked/skated to the bar. Truthfully speaking though, it often ended up staying til last call and then on Friday/Saturday, continuing afterwards. There was no going to the bar and coming home to go to bed. 

Now I hardly leave the property unless I'm going to skate or walk on the beach or in the forest. Not really much of a reason to go out.

I always functioned halfway decent at a halfway hangover level too. Always had good work, good feedback, etc. I was fucking myself up pretty hard though. Looking at what I've been able to do over the last 6 years, right now I'm wondering what I would have been able to accomplish had I not been getting straight faded the previous 12.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »
Mid to late 20 probably, I started my own business so that consumed by every waking hour, by then end of the day I just wanted to avoid people. Stopped hanging out with my group of ex-colleagues who were the go-to for weekday and weekend binge drinking sessions. And I started doing kickboxing a few times a week, trying to train with alcohol in your system is brutal and the recovery got worse as I got older.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »
And I started doing kickboxing a few times a week, trying to train with alcohol in your system is brutal and the recovery got worse as I got older.

Jiu-jitsu had a big part in me toning down the partying. I went to BJJ hungover exactly once and my training partners made me pay dearly for it.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »
never did, but i havent had a consistent group of friends since high school so thats probably why

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2021, 06:35:48 PM »
Expand Quote
And I started doing kickboxing a few times a week, trying to train with alcohol in your system is brutal and the recovery got worse as I got older.
[close]

Jiu-jitsu had a big part in me toning down the partying. I went to BJJ hungover exactly once and my training partners made me pay dearly for it.

Piling out was fun when the recovery was fast, but spending my Sunday feeling like dogshit just before going to the gym was unproductive both before and during the session. The more I committed to kickboxing (2-3 times a week) the less time I had to party, so picked up a new healthy obsession.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2021, 06:43:04 PM »
Quit going OUT to drink every weekend around the time I graduated college (2008) but I still drink every weekend. I’m actually drinking right now, Thursday night is my ‘have a few glasses of bourbon to take the edge off the work week’. I want to start cutting that out. Friday through Sunday I stick to beer but I really only drink good beer anymore. 

Get hungry on it!

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2021, 10:16:13 PM »
as soon as i developed an allergy to alcohol. one night my throat stared to close in. i couldn’t breathe then passed the fuck out

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 10:21:26 PM »
Sober 8 years+.

As soon as opiodes hit my frail frame at 20, all I wanted to do was stay away from people.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »
as soon as i developed an allergy to alcohol. one night my throat stared to close in. i couldn’t breathe then passed the fuck out

Speaking of allergies - as an Asian I get Asian Flush but not a uniform redness, just patches all over my face and body. Got old having to explain that to people all the time. Another side effect was extreme sleepiness which was a major buzzkill for when we went out as a group of friends. Doesn't vibe with the rest of the group who wants to get increasingly drunk, so I gradually phase myself out of those black out / brown out nights.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2021, 10:43:01 PM »
28-29. More out of boredom than for health reasons. My friends weren't interested in doing anything different on the weekends. That's the punk scene for ya. My club friends are more open to other ways of having fun and hanging out.

somefucker

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2021, 04:22:05 AM »
Gotta say, I'm pretty stoked on all of the responses in here. I felt like I would be 'missing out' by cutting back, but maybe i'm going the right direction. Hopefully this sparks that drive I used to feel to go skate or do something productive instead of choosing a drink and video games habitually.

Maybe i'll actually go to the kick boxing gym instead of signing up for an intro session and never going.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2021, 04:44:05 AM »
Gotta say, I'm pretty stoked on all of the responses in here. I felt like I would be 'missing out' by cutting back, but maybe i'm going the right direction. Hopefully this sparks that drive I used to feel to go skate or do something productive instead of choosing a drink and video games habitually.

Maybe i'll actually go to the kick boxing gym instead of signing up for an intro session and never going.

"Missing out"? Bro... have you seen people drinking from the side?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2021, 04:51:45 AM »

yeah man, i'm pretty sure most of us would have stopped earlier if we had the common sense at the time. i definetly fumbled a lot of ops during my 20s because i was lit up like a christmas tree for most of it. things could have gone worse, too, but for me personally my focus on hedonism led me to not finishing several attempts at getting higher education and run a few good relationships, friendships and also my body into the ground. i'm not the type of person who could live that lifestyle and function at work or school as needed at the same time, so it all set me back a good ten years i say and now i'm in my mid 30s sitting in a class with 20 year olds. they all think i'm like 25 tho, so i can fly a bit under the radar haha.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2021, 04:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah, fuck, as a barkeeper sometimes the patrons alone will make you not want to drink anymore. and 5 years ago we still used to get totally fucked with patrons when working to the point that stuff happened like we left the door open over night or slept in the back of the bar and were woken up by the morning shift. then a bunch of us actually had to go to the hospital and we all stopped drinking behind the bar at the same time. 

somefucker

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2021, 05:02:59 AM »

Mostly the comradery. Doing something in a group and feeling part of something, even if that something is drinking til we're sick. I live across the street from a bar, it's not made me more a drinker.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2021, 06:56:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah, fuck, as a barkeeper sometimes the patrons alone will make you not want to drink anymore. and 5 years ago we still used to get totally fucked with patrons when working to the point that stuff happened like we left the door open over night or slept in the back of the bar and were woken up by the morning shift. then a bunch of us actually had to go to the hospital and we all stopped drinking behind the bar at the same time.
Yeah the missing out part I don’t give a shit about, when I was in two semi decent bands and busting my chops on a few 7” and other stuff band related the friendships and sobriety took top priority and not one of them had my back.

If I do drink now it’s at home and with people I want to make music with me, myself and I.
Dueces Bitch's

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2021, 07:44:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Definitely don't miss the life of a bartender as I get older. Telling people you were a bartender in your teens (legal drinking age is 18 where I'm from) or your 20s you feel like the hottest shit. Drinking behind the bar, getting a side hustle going, lot of good memories with colleagues and customers. But damn does it wreck your body with the irregular sleep hours. not to mention you social life. Sleeping 2 days like a regular human and 5 days like a vampire is the pits.

The drinking on the job starts out fun but quickly spirals, vodka Redbulls all night will fuck up your sleep, teeth and general health in a hurry.

Go for a trial class and you should be able to tell pretty early on if it's the right thing for you. Any reputable gym lets newbies do a trial class to see if the environment, trainers or sport is right for them.

Have a fixed day / days in your schedule for it - consistency drives progress and the same members will usually stick to the same schedule, so you'll get to expand your social circle that way. This also helps with you sticking to it.

One benefit of having skateboarder is the transfer of intangible skills. Understanding body mechanics and failing 100s of repetition to hone your craft, applicable in both activities.

Provided your body isn't wrecked to shit from skateboarding.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

somefucker

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2021, 08:07:25 AM »
Go for a trial class and you should be able to tell pretty early on if it's the right thing for you. Any reputable gym lets newbies do a trial class to see if the environment, trainers or sport is right for them.

Have a fixed day / days in your schedule for it - consistency drives progress and the same members will usually stick to the same schedule, so you'll get to expand your social circle that way. This also helps with you sticking to it.

One benefit of having skateboarder is the transfer of intangible skills. Understanding body mechanics and failing 100s of repetition to hone your craft, applicable in both activities.

Provided your body isn't wrecked to shit from skateboarding.

Only a broken leg from ~4 yrs ago. Not anything that would prevent me from at least picking up a healthier habit. Thanks for your stories everybody, really. Just trying to avoid the pile out.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2021, 08:25:35 AM »
true creepers don’t need a stupid building to get
smacked in. there’s bridges and lots everywhere

Frank and Fred

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2021, 08:33:44 AM »
12 to 17 was getting sloshed every weekend. Then I left home. No money. Money was for skateboards and surfboards. So a good piss up happened every few months.

Last time I was drunk was about 14 years ago (age 32), picked a fight with some skin heads, did karaoke for the first and last time, pissed myself, rode around the city hammered on a fixed gear, got kicked out of my bedroom by the wife, and my then two year old daughter woke me up at 7am by jumping on my bruised and bloody carcass. Never again.

I love beer. Just one or two at a time and I can go months without touching it. No interest in being drunk ever again. a quality pint... sure...

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2021, 01:16:22 PM »

Unless its a sick show or on a legit traveling adventure in a new place, you're missing nothing. Seriously, my reasons for going out (aside from alcoholism) were boredom with my station in life and trying to get laid. Very rarely did going to the bar lead to getting laid and when it did, it was usually a rely, really bad choice. Got into bar fights sometimes, drove when in shouldn't have, wasted a ton of cash, and blah nlaj blah. You're missing nothing homie
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

mushroom slice

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2021, 01:23:39 PM »
12 years ago when I met my girlfriend. Seemed kinda pointless to go out to the club after that. I don’t even like alcohol that much  and now there is covid to worry about, I’ll just stay at home and do dabs by myself.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2021, 10:30:47 PM »
I'm actually pretty stoked that they have some decent non-alcoholic beer these days.  I was at a party and I didn't feel like getting smashed, so I had three normal beers, and then switched to non-alcoholics.  I still had a really good time, and had no hangover or anxiety the next morning. 
Anyone else get that crazy anxiety the next morning after a night of drinking and partying?