Author Topic: Synthesizers  (Read 1688 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Synthesizers
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2021, 08:08:46 AM »
I just have the Kaossilator to fuck aroudn with. I made a drum and bass album using the KORG Gadget on Switch if anyone interested;

all that stuff is too expensive / too much of a rabbit hole for me to go down. i dont make money off it and i find it hard to just work on music day in day out i just like to work on it when i feel like it.

I honestly want to get this...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1449451710183772170

seems so easy to use and pretty mcuh exactly what i want

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2021, 08:56:26 AM »
I had a problem buying this stuff back when it was considered cheap, in like 97-01. Eventually I realized that I was just not going to be a great pianist and my focus was better spent on drums, where I actually am pretty talented.

The amount and cost of these cheap synths is nuts. It takes considerable willpower to keep from buying them, especially the cheap Behringer ARP and Moog clones.

To scratch my itch, I have the official Moog apps, which are actually really fucking good. If you keep an eye out, Moog will occasionally just give one or two away for free for a weekend (they usually do this at Black Friday, so watch their Instagram), which is how I got mine. I picked up a basic AKAI midi keyboard for $20 on Craigslist, so I can plug that thing into my little Mac Mini or even my iPhone and futz around with their Model 15 modular. Highly recommended if you're a very casual hobbyist who isn't looking to dump a bunch of money into gear.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2021, 02:21:05 AM »
bump

I am thinking of actually trading my MS-20mini for a Korg Minilogue.

Anyone had any experience with these?
It looks like it has more features that I would get into(delay, built in sequencer)

Depends if you want a monosynth or something that can play chords…

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2021, 07:22:09 PM »
Expand Quote
bump

It looks like it has more features that I would get into(delay, built in sequencer)

[close]

A constituent of mine has one and I’ve used it dozens of times. It’s super fun and accessible, everything is labeled clearly and it’s not too overwhelming. It’s an affordable, versatile 4 voice analog synth. Hard to hate. Its compact size makes it easily transportable. Really deliberated getting one but went with the cheaper virtual analog Reface CS.

Looks like @texascybergothic uses the Minilogue XD as part of their rig, perhaps they could answer any questions you might have.

Edit: o looks @RichardBarkley has it as well

I use the minilogue xd as my main workhorse synth and it's amazing. It's great as a polyphonic synth and the unison mode is excellent for making monophonic basses. The digital oscillator and FX additions you get get with the XD are incredible, and since it's open source there's tons of aftermarket software options to keep you experimenting for a long time. The sequencer is also 16 step on the XD instead of 8 on the original minilogue. The minilogue is a good synth but for the additional money the XD adds a whole lot of additional features and depth.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »
I had a problem buying this stuff back when it was considered cheap, in like 97-01. Eventually I realized that I was just not going to be a great pianist and my focus was better spent on drums, where I actually am pretty talented.

The amount and cost of these cheap synths is nuts. It takes considerable willpower to keep from buying them, especially the cheap Behringer ARP and Moog clones.

To scratch my itch, I have the official Moog apps, which are actually really fucking good. If you keep an eye out, Moog will occasionally just give one or two away for free for a weekend (they usually do this at Black Friday, so watch their Instagram), which is how I got mine. I picked up a basic AKAI midi keyboard for $20 on Craigslist, so I can plug that thing into my little Mac Mini or even my iPhone and futz around with their Model 15 modular. Highly recommended if you're a very casual hobbyist who isn't looking to dump a bunch of money into gear.

Same deal. I scored an early Mini Model D when they could be had for reasonable amounts of cash, the problem being, as the prices went up - quickly and steeply - so did the repair and maintenance costs until I had this 5k chunk of dread lurking in the corner waiting to shit the bed. When Behringer announced their clone I sold that thing roadrunner fast and have zero regrets. 

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2021, 06:59:48 AM »
I'll ask my best bud what he uses but pretty sure its a Korg.
He's been making beats for local rappers for like 25 years and been selling songs from his soundcloud also.
His style is somewhere between 8 bit Nintendo and early 90s gangsta rap

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2021, 08:05:28 AM »
Synths on Slap, holy shit! Here’s a clip of me playing the modular.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
got a kick out of this.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2021, 10:11:35 AM »

sounds cool! Are you back to eurorack? I remember buying tons of euro-serge modules from you because you wanted to go Serge...

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sounds cool! Are you back to eurorack? I remember buying tons of euro-serge modules from you because you wanted to go Serge...

Yeah, that never happened. Though I didn’t intend to sell above system anyway. In the meantime I even got some Euro Serge back. ;)

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2021, 03:44:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, that never happened. Though I didn’t intend to sell above system anyway. In the meantime I even got some Euro Serge back. ;)

sweet system. Did you built the e350 yourself? I miss mine a little bit

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks! It's a regular e350, I added a Barton Quantizer to the 1V/Oct input and had a custom panel done to fit switches for interpolation, phase mode, and the quantizer.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2021, 06:25:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks! It's a regular e350, I added a Barton Quantizer to the 1V/Oct input and had a custom panel done to fit switches for interpolation, phase mode, and the quantizer.

Ah ok. cool. Thanks for the info

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
bump

[close]

A constituent of mine has one and I’ve used it dozens of times. It’s super fun and accessible, everything is labeled clearly and it’s not too overwhelming. It’s an affordable, versatile 4 voice analog synth. Hard to hate. Its compact size makes it easily transportable. Really deliberated getting one but went with the cheaper virtual analog Reface CS.

Looks like @texascybergothic uses the Minilogue XD as part of their rig, perhaps they could answer any questions you might have.

Edit: o looks @RichardBarkley has it as well
[close]

I use the minilogue xd as my main workhorse synth and it's amazing. It's great as a polyphonic synth and the unison mode is excellent for making monophonic basses. The digital oscillator and FX additions you get get with the XD are incredible, and since it's open source there's tons of aftermarket software options to keep you experimenting for a long time. The sequencer is also 16 step on the XD instead of 8 on the original minilogue. The minilogue is a good synth but for the additional money the XD adds a whole lot of additional features and depth.

Thank you both. @texascybergothic the extra digital oscillator sounds totally worth the extra money for the XD. I ended up selling my MS-20 mini so it looks like i'll be picking up the XD.

thanks for the info  8)

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2021, 02:06:11 PM »
Damn wouldn't have though there would be a synth thread on slap...
... then again there are skate threads on most synth forums I know.

Here's my studio, even if it changed a bit recently (got an Octatrack in there too, shuffled a few things in the modular as per usual)

I'm doing deep techno with all this : https://www.instagram.com/l.marchal/

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »
@listentoaheartbeat

That is the most German contraption I have ever seen in use. Kraft Werk lives.

@tumulishoomaroom

Your insta page is fucking wiry and knobby and I dig it.

For Christmas this year Santa bought my 9 year old son this device: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPKMini3--akai-professional-mpk-mini-iii-25-key-keyboard-controller

He loves synth pop and is constantly playing stuff from the 80’s like Final Countdown by Europe and Rick roll Rick Ashley unironically. He also like The Weekend. It’s cool he found a sound he likes so I wanted him to make music instead on just listening passively.

What is the best way to get him started on this device? How did you guys learn keyboard/drum machines etc…

My friend helped me pick this device out as I am not a musician but I would like my son to be interested in the arts. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2021, 06:41:25 AM »
@listentoaheartbeat

I'd love to say "gtfo with your stereotype" but you totally have a point.  ;D

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »
@listentoaheartbeat

@tumulishoomaroom

Your insta page is fucking wiry and knobby and I dig it.

For Christmas this year Santa bought my 9 year old son this device: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPKMini3--akai-professional-mpk-mini-iii-25-key-keyboard-controller

He loves synth pop and is constantly playing stuff from the 80’s like Final Countdown by Europe and Rick roll Rick Ashley unironically. He also like The Weekend. It’s cool he found a sound he likes so I wanted him to make music instead on just listening passively.

What is the best way to get him started on this device? How did you guys learn keyboard/drum machines etc…

My friend helped me pick this device out as I am not a musician but I would like my son to be interested in the arts. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

You should probably start him off with a good DAW.  A DAW is just a recording program, like Garage band, but they usually come with a ton of internal software instruments that he can use his controller with.  I’d go with something user friendly for kids like Ableton live or Bitwig studio. 

If you’re looking for something hardware, if start him off with something from the Korg Volca series, the Roland boutique series, or a Behringer semi-modular like the crave or the Neutron.  There’s lots of Behringer stuff on sale at Sweetwater right now, like their Pro One, Cat, and Wasp clones. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/c510--Behringer--Synthesizers

Another good resource for anyone getting into modular is VCV rack, which is a free software modular synth.  It’s a really good way to see if modular is something you’d be into, without having to drop any cash

https://vcvrack.com/
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2021, 11:21:03 AM »

Dope music! Followed and sent you my recent release on Kangding Ray’s Ara imprint as promo. :)

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »
Damn wouldn't have though there would be a synth thread on slap...
... then again there are skate threads on most synth forums I know.

Here's my studio, even if it changed a bit recently (got an Octatrack in there too, shuffled a few things in the modular as per usual)

so sick. also followed  8)