Author Topic: Enes Kanter vs Nike  (Read 1336 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Enes Kanter vs Nike
« on: November 22, 2021, 10:52:47 PM »
In case you are unaware there is a basketball player on the Celtics that is causing big problems for the NBA, Nike and LeBron James. This has been going on all season but this weekend James was asked about what Enes was doing and his answer was not well thought out. I am really interested to see how this thing plays out but so far he seems to be the most effective communicator of the NBA and Nike’s China problem. Really amazing that an active player is campaigning so actively for human rights against the NBA’s interests.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv_lym-r0wo

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/11/22/nbas-enes-kanter-says-he-got-a-death-threat-saturday-but-that-wont-stop-his-rights-advocacy.html

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: Enes Kanter vs Nike
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:09:49 PM »
He's not wrong.

Lebron won't say shit. He's just a stooge for Nike to move product. Wasn't there some previous drama a while ago about NBA merch and China?

Not defending slave labor but we all know there's no such thing as ethical consumption. I'm more of a minimalist these days but there's no way you can live 100% ethically in a city. Only way is to live in a cabin in the woods and live off the land which kinda stinks.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:26:11 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »
Good! Big corporations need to be called on their shit! Sure, there is no 100% ethical consumption, but with SDGs being a buzzword these days, companies don’t really have an excuse not to try anymore.

I’m not gunna lie, on paper what Cariuma are trying to do (at least environmentally and ethically) is actually quite close to what I want out of a skate shoe company. Whether that is the reality of their operations is yet to be seen though…

I will also say that in 2021 we need to get over using animal hides for shoes, Ryan Lay is back skating suede and Alex Olson wouldn’t dare write, “made with the hides of sentient beings” on his sneakers and it sucks!
JT, Ed and Valley paved the way for that in the 90s and now vegans/ plant based skaters are scared to speak out or are being silenced by their sponsors :( Big corporations (hell even sole tech) have done the research, they have the proddy, and yet we’re all still stuck in this suede/ leather is better mindset …
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:33:21 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:12:14 PM »
Good! Big corporations need to be called on their shit! Sure, there is no 100% ethical consumption, but with SDGs being a buzzword these days, companies don’t really have an excuse not to try anymore.

I’m not gunna lie, on paper what Cariuma are trying to do (at least environmentally and ethically) is actually quite close to what I want out of a skate shoe company. Whether that is the reality of their operations is yet to be seen though…

I will also say that in 2021 we need to get over using animal hides for shoes, Ryan Lay is back skating suede and Alex Olson wouldn’t dare write, “made with the hides of sentiment beings” on his sneakers and it sucks! JT, Ed and Valley paved the way for that in the 90s and now vegans/ plant based skaters are scared to speak out or are being silenced by their sponsors :( Big corporations (hell even sole tech) have done the research, they have the proddy, and yet we’re all still stuck in this suede/ leather is better mindset …

I'm no vegan, I have my own ideas about animals. But I do try to live in the least wasteful/harmful way as possible and I can get a pair of suede shoes to last at least five times longer than any synthetic shoe I've ever tried. Unless they start making shoes out of bamboo that somehow don't suck and also don't completely fuck up the environment I think just getting leather or suede but making them last as long as possible is generally a good option

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 07:45:22 PM »
↑ for sure, using your product for a longer period of time is less wasteful and puts less stress on the environment. Having said that, leather and suede are also very taxing despite companies trying to sell them to you as something that is "natural".

Funny that you mention materials that don't suck, the big boys for sure have these materials (or have at least done the R&D on them), Adidas is pushing their prime green a lot more these days and I doubt you could tell the difference between them and regular leather shoes. eS future suede also (at least imho) wears/ breaks down very similar to the animal-based version.

I guess I look at this problem from a different angle (we all do, and that's fine), but I think human rights and animal rights are strongly connected so it seems redundant (again, in my eyes) to fight for one while ignoring the other ...

(this is also my beef with feminists who support the dairy industry, but I'll leave that one for another day)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:02:00 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
Ill bet that if you were to skate suede shoes for one year vs canvas for one year, the CO2 emissions required to produce less amounts of suede shoes is much less than producing more canvas shoes.

Honestly, imma get hate for this but i kinda back Cariuma. They're like the red bull of skating in terms on sponsorships and image but theyre at least trying.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
I’ll put up any pair of early 2000s tech-manga-potato shoes (95% of which were synth) up against your standard suede shoe in 2021 and bet my life savings on it. I’m honestly not that hard on my shoes anyway so it doesn’t really matter to me… lol

Yeah, I’m currently on the fence with Cariuma and Mike V is prodding me ever so slightly to sway to the dark side, I want to believe!
Then I remember Berra and everything else they are involved with despite them looking like something that I would generally be very happy to back…. *sighs*

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
I’ll put up any pair of early 2000s tech-manga-potato shoes (95% of which were synth) up against your standard suede shoe in 2021 and bet my life savings on it.

Got me there, not taking that bet.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 11:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ll put up any pair of early 2000s tech-manga-potato shoes (95% of which were synth) up against your standard suede shoe in 2021 and bet my life savings on it.
[close]

Got me there, not taking that bet.
hahaha! So yeah, while I was half joking, companies could do a lot to make their shoes more durable in the long run. Last resort make a great shoe and even the canvas ones are proving to be fairly durable, but the sole wears out quicker than even vans or Emerica before they upgraded to desert tread.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 02:15:33 AM »
While Enes is extremely outspoken against the Xi Jinping, the Chinese government and their treatment of Muslim Uyghurs, the irony in the situation is his pro-Israel stance, how close he is with Israeli government officials and yet has nothing to say about the subjugation and occupation of Palestinians. Human rights for everyone, Enes, not just a few.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
While Enes is extremely outspoken against the Xi Jinping, the Chinese government and their treatment of Muslim Uyghurs, the irony in the situation is his pro-Israel stance, how close he is with Israeli government officials and yet has nothing to say about the subjugation and occupation of Palestinians. Human rights for everyone, Enes, not just a few.

He's also a right wing gulenist crank. He's definitely getting a little extra shine in this country from the right because they hate LeBron for his social justice stances over the years and want an excuse to bloody his nose over hypocrisy. You can be right about something but be shady yourself

cky enthusiast

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 07:41:30 AM »
career 11 and 7 center averaging an assist per game? yuck!! come lecture me when you get a little heart out there cuh

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 08:26:33 AM »
^ Lol

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 04:59:33 AM »
Kanter doesn't care about Israel because he's a Gulenist, maybe the weirdest group of CIA-backed right wing freaks to have emerged over the past 25 years. One of the biggest points of contention between Turkish PM Erdogan and Gulen, a quasi-religious and political "leader" is Turkey, was Erdogan's failure to better accommodate Israel, related to the 2010 massacre by Israeli commandos of 9 Turkish activists who were attempting to break Israel's illegal blockade of Gaza. The extent to which he cares about China is the extent to which the deep state was pushing the story about China's "genocide" of Muslim Uyghurs, something more or less now totally discredited.

Now he's well on his way to becoming America's right wing sports hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8MSTGSmTc
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »
This mfer went on tucker Carlson and changed his last name to freedom. Told you he was shady

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 06:15:47 AM »
This mfer went on tucker Carlson and changed his last name to freedom. Told you he was shady

He just really loves charter schools!

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 06:25:10 AM »
the funniest shit was when he made some shoes that had him dunking on LeBron and then he hyped them up on twitter like "I will Expose you ON AND OFF the court" and then proceeded to like not get any minutes in that game

mans is a fuckin weirdo - changing your last name to Freedom while upholding the biggest apartheid state in the world and discredting black athletes activism thru some weird attempted galaxy brain thinking

i could see him being the first basketball player on Cariuma

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 07:32:16 AM »
the funniest shit was when he made some shoes that had him dunking on LeBron and then he hyped them up on twitter like "I will Expose you ON AND OFF the court" and then proceeded to like not get any minutes in that game

mans is a fuckin weirdo - changing your last name to Freedom while upholding the biggest apartheid state in the world and discredting black athletes activism thru some weird attempted galaxy brain thinking

i could see him being the first basketball player on Cariuma

I could see him playing in old starburys

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »
I wanted to back this dude but yikes : P
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
he’s just playing to the fan base in boston so he can get that 1 year minimum next year, can’t blame
him

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
he’s just playing to the fan base in boston so he can get that 1 year minimum next year, can’t blame
him

LOL

I can see the Boston fans being stoked that they have the only person who hates LeBron more than them on their team

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 03:36:36 AM »
I'd never heard of him but he seems really ballsy. I mean publicly comparing Erdogan to Hitler as a Turkish citizen is pretty gnar.... he's lost his citizenship and apparently his family back home is being punished for his acts too.

BTW turkish secret services have assassinated kurdish leaders right in the middle of Paris a few years ago. The CIA's got nothing on them.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 08:01:24 PM »

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 07:20:31 AM »

upload images

This quote from an ESPN article on the topic really rubbed me the wrong way. Personally, not a massive Lebron fan or anything, but the whole stance of "I'm here to educate Lebron so him and his families lives can be so much better." is a really weird, holier than thou savior stance.

While I agree with the original stance of calling out Nike, how he is going about this is really fucking bizarre.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »
at first, I was like, this guy is rad, criticizing the Turkish and Chinese governments, then he went on fox news and I realized his actual angle.
follow the money.

edit, circumcising is funny tho
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 07:44:32 AM by Beeda Weeda »

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »

upload images

This quote from an ESPN article on the topic really rubbed me the wrong way. Personally, not a massive Lebron fan or anything, but the whole stance of "I'm here to educate Lebron so him and his families lives can be so much better." is a really weird, holier than thou savior stance.

While I agree with the original stance of calling out Nike, how he is going about this is really fucking bizarre.

LeBron doesn't owe him shit as well. He's the fucking best player in the game and enes AT BEST has been a backup center. Now that he's pivoting to be a neocon token, LeBron definitely shouldn't give this dude an audience. He's also literally dating a Rockefeller, he's well plugged into the right wing network and expect to see him as a regular contributor in the conservative media sphere

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 08:22:36 AM »

upload images

Well I think it must be understood that the criticism of Nike in this case is absolutely not offered in good faith. Kanter is not a crusader for human rights, he is a Gulanist mouthpiece spreading right-wing propaganda about China on behalf of the CIA. Nike is in the middle of it because VOA cooked up a lie that Nike was using Uyghur Muslim slave labor in this factories.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal