Author Topic: John Dilo’s Red Tiger part  (Read 6418 times)

xandeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: John Dilo’s Red Tiger part
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2021, 02:37:18 AM »
Don't get the hate for the song, it made me smile and the amazing skating really shadowed the song.

If you're paying more attention to the song than to the skating, maybe you should be watching figure skating instead.

Same thing goes for people saying that they are confused about the switch between adidas and lakai - FFFS is this skating or Victoria's secret? 

Dilo > Suciu in this SOTY round for sure.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2021, 03:48:25 AM »
Is he the most productive skater of all time? Bobby worrest, Dean Palmer, Mike Anderson and others have had a crazy year or two where they've filmed multiple parts in a row but just checking YouTube it looks like he has filmed an average of at least three parts a year and been in montages for the last four years or more.

Also regarding the song while it didn't bother me so much I do think it seems a little lazy to not get something better. You'd think these days there's unlimited musicians you could reach out to online and be like hey can you make me a song based off the pink panther theme.i can't really pay you much but It will be on thrasher so you will get a ton of exposure.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2021, 04:39:31 AM »
Am I the only person who was absolutely Blown Away by the skating and also liked song?
where is home?

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2021, 05:01:32 AM »
Didn't hate the song as much as most of you seem to, did love the skating as much as everyone else seems to.
Seems crazy this dude isn't a bigger deal at this point.

somesortofspin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2021, 05:18:03 AM »
i dont think the song sucks but it gives the part kind of a commercial feel when the tricks are so heavy they couldve been cut to something epic. may be thats just not his mood. skateboarding is a joke. a childs toy. the funnest thing ever. why over dramatize it?

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2021, 05:44:03 AM »
Dilo has been ripping for a long time, this part though. This was unreal. My new favorite huckster. Wow

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2021, 05:49:51 AM »
The use of the Pink Panther theme was kinda stupid. Generally fantastic part though

Insane flick, mannys on point, and some of those gaps and sets looked massive

The guy really deserves the recognition he’s been getting lately. I wouldn’t be mad at a SOTY win.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2021, 06:17:46 AM »
I don't think many of us are saying the song itself sucks but it just doesn't fit the skating whatsoever and the editor seems to have made no attempt to make it feel any more synchronous.

The filming could have been better too as others have said, main issue being some angles chosen. Skating was great but I wish there were a line or two thrown in to break up all the static camera shots with some follow cam.

The only kind of part I can imagine this song working well with would be a part like Kien Lieu or Sean Sheffey were putting out in the early 90s; lots of long, flowing jazzy lines, cruising with style/flare kinda stuff. That could be neat.

Almost has a hella talented team but they're aesthetically a mess. Similar to modern plan b. That's one constant with Rodney's projects since the A team. Dude could use some help with developing an artistic direction/aesthetics for his projects.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:30:28 AM by Mariatorresflores »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2021, 06:41:25 AM »
after a couple rewatches it just gets better an better skating wise.

once you notice some of the kooky filming it gets super annoying.  i know i complain about that but imagine some of the amazing gino or Dgar footage but its just there feet and none of the upper body style is visible
where is home?

Ambient Johnny

• Rep: -14
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2021, 06:54:42 AM »
Amazing skating and style, yes heavier than Suciu, but abysmal choice of music which lowers the impact of the part. I rewatched it with "Black and White" transitioning into "Uniform of Youth" by Mr. Mister playing over it instead, worked SO much better.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2021, 07:01:09 AM »
music rights cost money and should not be considered in the evaluation of any online part.

we could start a petition for companies to upload skate videos with skate sounds only and then make a simple browser plugin to play any tune over it.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2021, 08:15:30 AM »
I dunno

Music works a lot better on second watch

I think is just oldies that remember the pink panther cartoon that found it jarring at first
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
This dude is an absolutely elite skater who seems to have terrible luck getting and keeping sponsors, and it seems like he doesn't care at all. If nothing else, the song communicates that.

I love that the moment he lands the big nollie 180, he immediately blooms into the purest smile of joy

Maybe this dude could get sponsored by them "life is good" frisbees

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »
That switch tre!!!

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 239
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2021, 01:02:09 PM »
love that people think that anyone who doesn't like the song doesn't know it or appreciate it because they are a child or something. we all know the fucking pink panther theme and cartoons, they still played reruns of that on saturday mornings through all of our childhoods.

The problem is it doesn't match the gravity of skating in this part at all, AND it happens to be a particularly boring rendition of a tune I normally enjoy. Like they totally phoned it in on the entire middle section of the song, which is the most interesting part of the whole composition. Leaving out most of the cool chord changes and that nice bass part in favor of playing the main riff for 5+ minutes

here's the real version- (section im talking abt is around 0:39)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6z3s1Gig0&ab_channel=Officer620

someone mentioned it sound like BBNG, and that led me to put an actual song from them over it. Honestly it lined up really well and provided a cool energy to the enders
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIStwWWu7rI&ab_channel=InnovativeLeisure
(to line it up i hit play just as the almost logo came up)

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
love that people think that anyone who doesn't like the song doesn't know it or appreciate it because they are a child or something. we all know the fucking pink panther theme and cartoons, they still played reruns of that on saturday mornings through all of our childhoods.

The problem is it doesn't match the gravity of skating in this part at all, AND it happens to be a particularly boring rendition of a tune I normally enjoy. Like they totally phoned it in on the entire middle section of the song, which is the most interesting part of the whole composition. Leaving out most of the cool chord changes and that nice bass part in favor of playing the main riff for 5+ minutes

here's the real version- (section im talking abt is around 0:39)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6z3s1Gig0&ab_channel=Officer620

someone mentioned it sound like BBNG, and that led me to put an actual song from them over it. Honestly it lined up really well and provided a cool energy to the enders
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIStwWWu7rI&ab_channel=InnovativeLeisure
(to line it up i hit play just as the almost logo came up)
Nice, yeah that comment made me chuckle. Now for a real challenge; find a Xiu Xiu song that fits, lol. Bunny Gamer, Beauty Towne perhaps...

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2021, 03:33:14 PM »

Dude you didn’t even know who THE PINK PANTHER WAS BEFORE WATCHING THR PART!

I can tell because no one that grew up with the Pink Panther cartoon would even talk like that.  And I think you’re lying about the Saturday morning thing too!   >:(
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2021, 03:47:44 PM »
That switch tre!!!

I’m sure the ghost would approve!

Loved this part and love Dilo.

Fhk

« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
Dilo is fucking nasty.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2021, 05:03:46 PM »
Dilo does lots of stuff that Suciu could never do. Suciu does lots of stuff that Dilo could do. Dilo does fakie stuff over gaps, huge flat-ground flips, and fliptricks out of grinds on gnarly out-ledges that Mark will never match. I was all for mark winning Soty til i watched this part. Now Im fine if Dilo takes it. To me Mark is this generations Busenitz (even though Busenitz clowned on Mark); he kills it and set a new standard, but the cards never fell right for him to get the award.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »
I have nothing against Suciu but I'm always thinking he will get shafted at SOTY because he tries too hard - he just makes things look too easy with his 2 or more parts and not enough B-roll clips of his slams. SOTY ends up going to someone like Dilo or Yuto if they somehow release a part in time, would be an amazing end to his Olympic gold medal year.

But that Dilo part was sick, Nollie FS 180 is such an underrated trick and that stair set was massive.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Donatello

• Rep: 2
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2021, 01:39:44 AM »
John Dilo really does have one of the most unique skill sets in skating. Who else could you describe as a hucker/manual guy with crazy pop?

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »
this was awesome, wouldn't be mad at dilo soty, guy has been reliably putting out multiple parts a year for years

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
Dilo does lots of stuff that Suciu could never do. Suciu does lots of stuff that Dilo could do. Dilo does fakie stuff over gaps, huge flat-ground flips, and fliptricks out of grinds on gnarly out-ledges that Mark will never match. I was all for mark winning Soty til i watched this part. Now Im fine if Dilo takes it. To me Mark is this generations Busenitz (even though Busenitz clowned on Mark); he kills it and set a new standard, but the cards never fell right for him to get the award.
lol what are you even talking about

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2021, 01:22:15 AM »
the song almost ruined the amazing skating for me... really bummed me out. and puffy lakais dont fit him nearly as good as the samba advs. how is this guy not a no brainer for adidas/nike/vans?

davidbeckham2002

• Rep: -38
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2021, 03:30:45 AM »
the song almost ruined the amazing skating for me... really bummed me out. and puffy lakais dont fit him nearly as good as the samba advs. how is this guy not a no brainer for adidas/nike/vans?

its the dwindle curse. blind and almost have some of the best street skaters out there on the team. yuri is insane. might be my favorite. so is Jake Ilardi. dude big flip fs boardslid hollywood 16 and fs feeble down that huge 20? set handrail and was forgotten immediately.

they arent profitable outside of skating for whatever reasons. not living in cali. they are just some dudes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2021, 03:37:09 AM »

I don't know anything about him personally but I can see how someone could have such a bad experience with adidas they say fuck it and go straight to lakai rather than dealing with being flow for Nike,nb,vans etc. He could also be hoping that a smaller company might actually put him on

davidbeckham2002

• Rep: -38
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2021, 03:46:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know anything about him personally but I can see how someone could have such a bad experience with adidas they say fuck it and go straight to lakai rather than dealing with being flow for Nike,nb,vans etc. He could also be hoping that a smaller company might actually put him on

this. be another flow for life skater or being on a team with a few people and actually getting a pro shoe and sticking with them for over a decade. if you are young lets say 18 19 adidas will hook you up with the intend that you are the young ripper. kids can connect to you. youll get a colorway of an already existing shoe that will sell nonetheless even to none skate nerd audience that know and like the shoe plus the kids that are hyped on you.
thyshawn got one because hes soty and kind of famous. busenitz got one because they introduced the adidas skate line with a pure skate rat.
i dont really see john dilo as being that appealing to kids that arent quite as good at skating or having other interst than being a huge skate nerd.

thebacker

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this. be another flow for life skater or being on a team with a few people and actually getting a pro shoe and sticking with them for over a decade. if you are young lets say 18 19 adidas will hook you up with the intend that you are the young ripper. kids can connect to you. youll get a colorway of an already existing shoe that will sell nonetheless even to none skate nerd audience that know and like the shoe plus the kids that are hyped on you.
thyshawn got one because hes soty and kind of famous. busenitz got one because they introduced the adidas skate line with a pure skate rat.
i dont really see john dilo as being that appealing to kids that arent quite as good at skating or having other interst than being a huge skate nerd.
not only do i never see him getting a lakai pro shoe but he will be off of them within a year

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »
stevie perez has a shoe on lakai... you really think this dude is incapable of getting one?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts