Author Topic: New Ed Templeton Interview  (Read 5211 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
Re: New Ed Templeton Interview
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 04:10:52 AM »
Expand Quote
The audience is slightly different when I sit down to do an ad, I think of the target audience being 15-year-old skater boys and I wonder what would make them laugh or get them stoked.
[close]

then, a few questions later:
Expand Quote
I’m not sure exactly why there aren’t more females – I think the physicality and brutality of skateboarding have something to do with it. Also, the social mores that cripple girls at a young age from even starting skateboarding, such as parents and their expectations, the pressure to be feminine, etc. but those are changing quickly.
[close]

To answer one question that states clearly that you are marketing to 15 year old boys, and then to act like you don't know why women aren't involved in skateboarding (and imply they can't handle the physicality of it), is some high level mental gymnastics.

Good for sponsoring Elissa, but Toy Machine went over 20 years since Elissa quit in 1998 without sponsoring any women.

I think your the one doing mental gymnastics.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
Nice interview!
It’s complicated with Ed Templeton. He’s championed queer equality for so long. When I was a fragile, scared kid not sure about how my sexuality would unfold, the Ed TWS interview that was so different from the other voices in skating and he really helped me. For much of the  90s homophobia was pretty much the norm and open mindedness wasn’t always well received.
So as far as all that stuff he’s got a very special place in my heart.
That being said, his social media really changed how I consider him and I’m definitely not comfortable with his behavior. Sigh.

That was a really good interview ESPECIALLY at that time.

And also agree. Like, art is cool sure. But non-stop photos of teen ass in bikinis... is that art? I dunno

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Nice interview!
It’s complicated with Ed Templeton. He’s championed queer equality for so long. When I was a fragile, scared kid not sure about how my sexuality would unfold, the Ed TWS interview that was so different from the other voices in skating and he really helped me. For much of the  90s homophobia was pretty much the norm and open mindedness wasn’t always well received.
So as far as all that stuff he’s got a very special place in my heart.
That being said, his social media really changed how I consider him and I’m definitely not comfortable with his behavior. Sigh.
[close]

That was a really good interview ESPECIALLY at that time.

And also agree. Like, art is cool sure. But non-stop photos of teen ass in bikinis... is that art? I dunno
For a couple years there, yes, Ed's stories were flooded with this type of content.  And while he hasn't publicly addressed it, I do think he took the call-outs and criticism to heart because there's been a pretty significant reduction in that type of content on his account recently.  Or at least that's my perception.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully I'm not wrong in doing so.

Grim Deeds

• Rep: 11
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2021, 07:44:37 PM »
Sick interview, great job

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2021, 11:18:58 PM »
Interview was cool. Good job on it!