Author Topic: AVE on free pass?  (Read 6614 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
Re: AVE on free pass?
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2021, 05:24:41 PM »
Who cares if you build a spot, So anyone getting a photo skating a backyard ramp or jump ramp needs to be cancelled??

It's been said multiple times (for 15 years when it comes to Berra) but it's not so much about the building of a spot but the deception. Pretending a perfect skatepark obstacle is something found in the street. Nobody is going to think a backyard ramp is anything other than a backyard ramp.

It's one of skateboardings most grey grey areas. You can Bondo up cracks, rub brick, remove nobs, add coping, add transition ,sheets of plywood and make all sorts of alterations but when is a spot no longer real? Why does it really matter? MJ has skatepark footage in modus, yeah right, fully flared and pretty sweet and it doesn't matter at all. If Berra just came out and said he loves movie/set production and showed everyone behind the curtain most people would probably not care much at all.
Ave could also just be like yeah I made a bench and a rail thing who cares it's a sick photo and people also probably wouldn't have much negative to say

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
Expand Quote
AVE has been dragging around that green curved bench for a while. It has made an appearance in multiple parts of his. I believe he has an interview where talks about saving/stealing it from some spot.

Pals would tear apart most skaters if they did that.

Why does he get a pass?

Edit* I’ve been an AVE fan since dc/alien days.
[close]

Guess we gotta start shitting on everybody using the roll in for Wallenberg too I guess huh?

well, to be honest, in my opinion, the roll in is a bit lame. like you could just find another gap to do thats around the same size to do your trick. its entirely for clout chasing an NBD, which is kind of a lame way to view skateboarding imo. the guys who found that spot originally and PUSHED up to it to get the speed, that is more true to REAL street skating , finding things in the street and just hitting it

but yeah very quickly you could say well waxing a curb is cheating then! yep its just evolved really but you have to give credit to shit like ben kadow somehow doing a slappy grind and make the sparks go on a completel unwaxed curb. its really kind of in directions to the point you have mega ramp / poool  builders, diy builders, Street Builders (i.e. like that mcllung guy on primitive or like the spot deknobber guy), or you have people who just do supposed raw street like hockey /FA shit. i think for those guys it is kind of cheating becuase that is a large part of the appeal is that they are just out in the streets really doing it not fake building spots / hours of prep etc. AVE could have just found a spot like that in the street you would think. im kinda curious WHY they chose to build that for the cover. maybe they were just given a budget or something and really wanted to give that metal worker homey some work?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
lol he even put a bike lock on it

no, that was Elihja Beryle at it again.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
AVE has been dragging around that green curved bench for a while. It has made an appearance in multiple parts of his. I believe he has an interview where talks about saving/stealing it from some spot.

Pals would tear apart most skaters if they did that.

Why does he get a pass?

Edit* I’ve been an AVE fan since dc/alien days.
[close]

Guess we gotta start shitting on everybody using the roll in for Wallenberg too I guess huh?
[close]

well, to be honest, in my opinion, the roll in is a bit lame. like you could just find another gap to do thats around the same size to do your trick. its entirely for clout chasing an NBD, which is kind of a lame way to view skateboarding imo. the guys who found that spot originally and PUSHED up to it to get the speed, that is more true to REAL street skating , finding things in the street and just hitting it

but yeah very quickly you could say well waxing a curb is cheating then! yep its just evolved really but you have to give credit to shit like ben kadow somehow doing a slappy grind and make the sparks go on a completel unwaxed curb. its really kind of in directions to the point you have mega ramp / poool  builders, diy builders, Street Builders (i.e. like that mcllung guy on primitive or like the spot deknobber guy), or you have people who just do supposed raw street like hockey /FA shit. i think for those guys it is kind of cheating becuase that is a large part of the appeal is that they are just out in the streets really doing it not fake building spots / hours of prep etc. AVE could have just found a spot like that in the street you would think. im kinda curious WHY they chose to build that for the cover. maybe they were just given a budget or something and really wanted to give that metal worker homey some work?
The thing I find weird about Wallenberg is it seems they purposefully film and shoot photos so you don't see the roll-in, but pretty much everyone knows you need the roll in.