Author Topic: Wheels for Dusty Indoor Parks  (Read 2427 times)

Beachburner87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Wheels for Dusty Indoor Parks
« on: November 24, 2021, 01:14:45 PM »
Hi All,

Do you have any recommendations for wheels in dusty indoor skate parks? My local park has skatelite/masonite ramps and the floor is sort of like gymnasium tiles.

I usually skate Formula Four Conical Fulls 101a outdoors. I thought 99a would help but it's still very slippery.
My local shop has some 97a Slimeballs that might be interesting. Looking for a wheel that's still considered hard but with more grip. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels for Dusty Indoor Parks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:50:36 PM »
The 97 is about the lowest duro without starting to get slow soft wheel feeling, although some people still love the 95s in a few brands of wheel too, but also the size of the wheel is an important one, as some only come in bigger sizes, others in certain shapes too.

It also depends on whether or not you are going to be doing a lot of slide type tricks, or just want the solid grip.

What is your usual size of wheel?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:53:05 PM »
I've been told the older the better

I just rub them on the wall after every run. Some parks wont let you do that so do it when they're not watching

Beachburner87

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 11:26:47 PM »
The 97 is about the lowest duro without starting to get slow soft wheel feeling, although some people still love the 95s in a few brands of wheel too, but also the size of the wheel is an important one, as some only come in bigger sizes, others in certain shapes too.

It also depends on whether or not you are going to be doing a lot of slide type tricks, or just want the solid grip.

I usually use 52mm. I was looking at the Slimeball Vomit mini 53mm. I don’t really slide much. Mostly flat ground tricks, mini ramps and small bowls.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 01:57:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I usually use 52mm. I was looking at the Slimeball Vomit mini 53mm. I don’t really slide much. Mostly flat ground tricks, mini ramps and small bowls.

A few of the wheels I was thinking of are significantly larger, so don't worry about those so much - OJ Natas 95 duro but in 58mm size is really good, but way too big.

If you were more keen on grip something like the OJ Nomad 95 duro 53mm wheel is quite good, as per other people talking about them, so might be the best option if you can get your hands on them.

A pic (maybe too big, but at least it shows detail)

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 02:01:30 AM »
f4 97s are great for slippery ground, they grip well but are still slideable
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 03:03:31 AM »
f4 97s are great for slippery ground, they grip well but are still slideable

Yes sure are.

The set of 97a 56mm classics I have on a board for doing laps around slippery / new parks is good, but they still slip out a bit on a wooden indoor park I skate at, which is why I thought something a little softer would work.

I guess this is where people were asking for the conical full 97 in smaller sizes too, rather than just 54 and 58mm.

iagainsti

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 07:00:16 AM »
I used to skate a really slippery indoor park in the winter and after a few sessions went and bought these specifically for skating that park and they worked pretty well for me

https://bones.com/bones-wheels-spf-pro-kowalski-parks-54mm-wheel-4pk

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 08:24:33 AM »
https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/strangehouse-60mm-95a-3

These are 60mm but they haul ass and have excellent grip. I use them on the slipperiest of concrete and they haven’t let me down. Plus they are offering free shipping today with code “freeshipping21”

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »
Loops tears is my favorite indoor wheels.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 10:12:00 PM »
Bones 100s or spitfire big heads work best for me

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 10:13:48 PM »
97a spitfire classics are the truth

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:37 PM »
I ride the bones stf 99a v5’s at the indoor park. Definitely much more grip than spitfire f4 99a tablets I have. Not as much grip as old OJ 97a wheels, but much faster. The indoor park I skate isn’t really dusty though, as all the ramps are real wood with no masonite/skatelite. So, no real answers here, just comparisons of popular options.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 10:32:41 PM »
SPF is the correct answer....sticky and hard....81b....

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 01:21:46 AM »
I've been having this issue recently as well. I have 54 f4 99du and slip all over the place. my wheels are older so theres some wear on the surface and little bits of wax stick in the crevices. I have some spfs I've been thinking to try but they're huge and a funny color...
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 05:33:16 AM »
I ride a wood-sheeted floor at my local indoor, and it’s really icy, especially the dustier it gets.

On that surface, my Bones SPF are super slippery. Which is ok if you wanna do all kinds of slides, but the wheels that gave me a good bit of grip on that surface were the 97a Spits.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 07:37:52 AM »
I always get the feeling that even a soft wheel won't be safe from the ever-increasing amount of skatepark dust and grime that accumulates on them.

Broke a wrist a few years ago at a slippery indoor park, so I guess I'm still having Vietnam flashbacks to that.
-Summer of George-

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that once the contact patch is coated in dead skin cells, wax globules and powdered truck dust, the formula and duro don't matter anymore.  Up until that point, a quality 95-97 is nice.  Even 99 f4's are doable. Oh, and treaded picks up more shit, so maybe wheels that have been ridden in the wild and have imperfections on the riding surface will load up faster, too.  So maybe keep a set of fairly pristine 95-97's for riding dusty death trap parks?

pops

• Rep: 218
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »
 I skate 99 spits indoors and they're good. Would love to have little more grip but can't afford a set of wheels atm. Will try the spits 97s asap.

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 11:40:04 AM »
If you're looking for a cheap alternative, the Primitive price point wheels are actually pretty sticky. They're made of some weird shit that almost doesn't even feel like normal urethane.