Author Topic: Literal absolute worst parts in a skate video?  (Read 14368 times)

exlurker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
Re: Literal absolute worst parts in a skate video?
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
Chalmers in Sorry.

Wrong. Wrong! That part should've been in an Antihero vid, not sandwiched between the immortal gods of street skating

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2022, 12:31:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Sven Kilchenmann's skating isn't bad at all but this has to be the worst song ever used in a skate vid. I remember always skipping this part as a kid. terrible music=terrible part imo

[close]
“Pound that beer down quick, smash my glass back down, fall over the table, all rowdy and pissed”

pick a bottle off the table peel the label turn a fable
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2022, 01:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Chalmers in Sorry.
[close]

Wrong. Wrong! That part should've been in an Antihero vid, not sandwiched between the immortal gods of street skating

This. Alex's part is great. The skating is fantastic. It just didn't fit the rest of the video.

Baker2g is one of my favourite videos from that era, but TK and Knox Godoy felt like gimmicks, not real parts. I know that TK had only been skating for a year and he improved signigicantly afterwards, but pairing him with Heath made his skating look even more immature than it did already.

Brguy

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2022, 01:26:15 PM »
Expand Quote
That Mike V part is definitely the one. But as this part goes on, with each following trick you think "he wouldn't dare doing another pop-shuvit based trick" and they just keep on coming

[close]

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he was hurt and this was all he could do while trying to recover
Not trying to be harsh but Hsu recorded Stay Gold with one ankle in shreds.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
not sure which is a worse part, i feel like people will say mind field because of more fake spots, while others will say skate more because they hate the faint.

[close]

It cracks me up that Berra presumably had access to the Faint’s entire catalogue to choose from and landed on maybe the worst song for his part.  Only Berra…
[close]

That faint song is rough.
It’s always annoyed be that Berra isn’t terrible. I’m not saying he’s my dude, but…I’d be absolutely lying if I said I didn’t admire about all of his flips that involve a 180. Particularly the half cab flips. Forever a goober that guy.
[close]

He does a pretty good Rickkflip in SkateMore

I would have liked his SkateMore part a lot more if it didn't have that corny dramatic intro. He amassed a good amount of footage so he didn't need to give an excuse for being injured.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

backspinflip

• Rep: -33
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2022, 03:20:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
not sure which is a worse part, i feel like people will say mind field because of more fake spots, while others will say skate more because they hate the faint.

[close]

It cracks me up that Berra presumably had access to the Faint’s entire catalogue to choose from and landed on maybe the worst song for his part.  Only Berra…
[close]

It’s always annoyed be that Berra isn’t terrible. I’m not saying he’s my dude, but…I’d be absolutely lying if I said I didn’t admire about all of his flips that involve a 180. Particularly the half cab flips. Forever a goober that guy.
[close]

[close]

I would have liked his SkateMore part a lot more if it didn't have that corny dramatic intro. He amassed a good amount of footage so he didn't need to give an excuse for being injured.

after rewatching that skatemore part it looks like 90% of it is fake spots too. All-state sign, the brick ledge to red rail, the bump to out rail, the bump to flatbar on the loading dock, the manual pad that looks like it's inside a warehouse.

doesn't make the part any less enjoyable. say what you want, berra had a pretty proper style and flip tricks. especially considering he filmed all that coming off a surgery.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2022, 08:41:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

after rewatching that skatemore part it looks like 90% of it is fake spots too. All-state sign, the brick ledge to red rail, the bump to out rail, the bump to flatbar on the loading dock, the manual pad that looks like it's inside a warehouse.

doesn't make the part any less enjoyable. say what you want, berra had a pretty proper style and flip tricks. especially considering he filmed all that coming off a surgery.

Personally, I think the line between "fake spot" and "real spot" is kind of grey, particularly with foundation spots, diy ledges, quickcrete transition on banks, and bondo'ed angle iron on ledges that we see all the time in parts.

That said, did Steve Berra/Jim Greco steal an existing Allstate sign and turn it into a ledge they can move around? Or did they make a ledge and put a giant Allstate vinyl wrap around it? If the latter, why Allstate?

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2022, 07:06:04 PM »
First thing to come to mind is Dyrdek's part in midfield.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2022, 08:40:20 AM »
Simultaneously the best and worst.

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2022, 09:09:37 AM »
Gareth in That's Life exclusively for this little number.

I fucking love Gareth

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »
Any Daniel Castillo part, he had a 15 year career based off being a homie

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2022, 05:40:52 PM »
Streets on fire was my first VHS tape and i was underwhelmed by the Corey O,'Brien section considering  his board was very popular at that time. Then I swapped for Public Domain where Dan Gesmer part took the cake and eat it all.

whoami

• Rep: -43
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2022, 06:21:34 PM »

I'm going to politely disagree. It may not be your thing but it is far far from worst video part. I loved Timecode and everyone involved. At risk of getting beat up into perpetuity Bo's part was a little lackluster just because I knew what he was capable of.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:55:15 AM by whoami »

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2022, 08:38:56 PM »
That ballet dude in public domain.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2022, 08:51:39 AM »
Mark Appleyard in Really Sorry for the two song part, really REALLY REALLY HATE Courtney Love’s voice normally her band was atrocious and just bad in general, whoever was the jackass who picked those songs should’ve been fired.

I’m going to say any Andy Roy part, I know it’s harsh but there can only be one Jay Adams and he’s dead.
Dueces Bitch's

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2022, 09:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Personally, I think the line between "fake spot" and "real spot" is kind of grey, particularly with foundation spots, diy ledges, quickcrete transition on banks, and bondo'ed angle iron on ledges that we see all the time in parts.

That said, did Steve Berra/Jim Greco steal an existing Allstate sign and turn it into a ledge they can move around? Or did they make a ledge and put a giant Allstate vinyl wrap around it? If the latter, why Allstate?
It's been said a million times and I agree to a certain level but they literally built bump to bars, handrails,a fake shop front with ledges. I doubt they stole the sign based on the level of building they were doing.
What bothers me more than the fake spots tho is he sped up half his footage. Building spots could be argued to be grey area but altering your footage to make it look like you skate faster has to be a no no

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »
Mark Appleyard in Really Sorry for the two song part, really REALLY REALLY HATE Courtney Love’s voice normally her band was atrocious and just bad in general, whoever was the jackass who picked those songs should’ve been fired.

I’m going to say any Andy Roy part, I know it’s harsh but there can only be one Jay Adams and he’s dead.

One of the greatest parts ever is completely cancelled cancelled out due to the music and is therefore The worst of all time in your opinion?
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2022, 09:51:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One of the greatest parts ever is completely cancelled cancelled out due to the music and is therefore The worst of all time in your opinion?
I didn’t mention it beforehand in this here thread but I have said in another thread his skating is great but I cannot watch it unmuted. 

I know it was a killer part skating wise but let’s face it when watching a video part the song is also included that’s what makes me hate the part.
Dueces Bitch's

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2022, 10:57:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
It's been said a million times and I agree to a certain level but they literally built bump to bars, handrails,a fake shop front with ledges. I doubt they stole the sign based on the level of building they were doing.
What bothers me more than the fake spots tho is he sped up half his footage. Building spots could be argued to be grey area but altering your footage to make it look like you skate faster has to be a no no

Holy shit, never noticed how insanely sped up it is... Berra is the fucking worst.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2022, 11:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Holy shit, never noticed how insanely sped up it is... Berra is the fucking worst.

Def didn't realize it was sped up so much. It's much more obvious now that I was looking for it.

I remember SB once responded somewhere saying he didn't have time to film in that era because he was a single dad to a young daughter at the time. However, that doesn't seem to align with the crazy amount of effort he put into having loading docks and Allstate signs built for him to film on. Seemed like it would have been much easier to move picnic tables around at a schoolyard.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2022, 11:30:36 AM »
wow never noticed that SB was sped up as well... so weird lmao. who at AWS thought that was okay to do

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2022, 12:50:10 PM »

The fuck did I just watch. Hahahaha

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2022, 01:11:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The fuck did I just watch. Hahahaha

This like watching some kinda Lance Mountain/Mike V hybrid lol. I did some see some Lansdowne footy in there though, so that was cool

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2022, 08:16:57 PM »
Berra in Mind Field.

Objectively not the worse thing ever but compared to the rest of the video when his part pops up it’s like “What the hell is this shit?”
I would say Dyrdek's part was the one that didn't fit in. The whole video was awesome and then he took a break from Mtv to shoot a quick part. Even he admitted it was terrible compared to the rest of the video. 
"Give it a name."

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Cousin Avi

• Rep: -2
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2022, 06:05:03 AM »

I mean, if the music doesn't tingle your berries download the part from youtube, mute it, edit some skate trick sounds and sync them to it, then put your favourite song as the soundtrack and voilá! if you have a computer, more than likely you have a movie maker type software to achieve this!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2022, 07:16:36 AM »
wow never noticed that SB was sped up as well... so weird lmao. who at AWS thought that was okay to do

they wanted the part to be over faster  ;D

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
To be fair he does a backflip (Miller flip) in a full pipe and ollies the huge flat gap at baldy. And does a hand plant on a handrail.
I vote for Southie.

I actually really liked the handplant on the handrail. Made me think of some of the maneuver's that Andy Anderson can do.

I'm generally impressed with most handplants though....I can barely do 10 pushups

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm going to politely disagree. It may not be your thing but it is far far from worst video part. I loved Timecode and everyone involved. At risk of getting beat up into perpetuity Bo's part was a little lackluster just because I knew what he was capable of.

Thomas Morgan's part in Timecode is legitimately pretty bad

come to think of it, most of the guys careers were basically over after that video aside from Kalis, Freddy & Dyrdek

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2022, 01:54:06 PM »

Maybe the worst take on this entire board.