Author Topic: Literal absolute worst parts in a skate video?  (Read 14271 times)

Yonnycage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Literal absolute worst parts in a skate video?
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
Herman in Stay Gold.

Just kidding. Vincent Alvarez in Pretty Sweet just because of that non-NWA song. So fuckin annoying. Personal runner up is Guy’s part in the same video because of the disgusting, easy mode in Skate 3-esque combos. Also the song

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »
Justin Roy in Art Bars wasn't the greatest. Robbie McKinley in the DC video didn't do much for me. Southie WHL.

Jordan Richter in Video Days really is it.

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2021, 01:17:02 PM »
Justin Roy in Art Bars wasn't the greatest. Robbie McKinley in the DC video didn't do much for me. Southie WHL.

Southie gets a pass... it was a shop video at the end of the day....

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »
Didn't Gareth Stehr have an entire video about his toe jam or something?   I'll go with his part in that.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2188
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »
The worst thing about that Mike V part wasn’t even the skating.  It was the posturing and the brooding in the intro looking like he’s about to go into battle against the jocks four random ocks.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
Truly despise Gareth Stehr and to a lesser extent Justin Roy - think Roy's part in Art Bar's was one of the first times as a kid I realized that if you can't do a trick and make it look good you just shouldn't do it.

Never understood the Josh Harmony hate personally, he does some pretty boring stuff (the back to back 180's over a gap that anyone else would have bee fs flipping or bs flipping) but there's also lots of solid stuff in that Ride the Sky part - pretty impressive fs blunt on handrail, a rare for the time proper fs crook on a decently large rail, that gap on the wavy ledge thing is pretty nice. Plus his part in Good vs Evil was one of the first times I heard Sebadoh so he gets a pass for that

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2021, 02:41:18 PM »

If I’m remembering correctly at one point in his Art Bars part Justin Roy does a switch flip down a small set that doesnt really pop and kind of just awkwardly rolls.  It may be the worst looking trick I’ve ever seen in a professional video part.  That being said J Roy had some sick backlips and Art Bars is one of my sleeper favorite videos.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:55:55 PM by big_kev_215 »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I’m remembering correctly at one point in his Art Bars part Justin Roy does a switch flip down a small set that doesnt really pop and kind of just awkwardly rolls.  It may be the worst looking trick I’ve ever seen in a professional video part.  That being said J Roy had some sick backlips and Art Bars is one of my sleeper favorite videos.

Such a good video.  I thought it was one of the rare instances where the b-roll/artsy footage actually worked and added to the video.  Great music too.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sBNVGUfGdY

got kicked off the team for this video part

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2021, 04:50:46 PM »
Sven Kilchenmann's skating isn't bad at all but this has to be the worst song ever used in a skate vid. I remember always skipping this part as a kid. terrible music=terrible part imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexLOHRSah8

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »
Sven Kilchenmann's skating isn't bad at all but this has to be the worst song ever used in a skate vid. I remember always skipping this part as a kid. terrible music=terrible part imo

The problem with this part is it's just relentlessly pretty ok. The song is repetitive and so is the skating with just every trick possible done down a 7-10 stair and some pretty ok ledge and Manny's. Like he just ticked every trick off a list.

LiterallyRyan

• Rep: -19
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl2OLZoqA0o&feature=share

That line at 0:37 makes me think that if Mark Suciu existed when I was a kid that would be the type of stuff I would've been doing "playing" and pretending I was him skating down the street like I had quick feet or something.

There's a little Jason Adam's if he was autistic vibe I get from some of the tricks too.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »

unless I'm missing some piece of context that validates making fun of little kids, I always felt bad for Chris Branagh and Billie Waldman for getting made fun of as much as they did. That layback disaster on the brick bank that Billie Waldman does in Rubbish Heap does obviously deserves some pushback however.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2021, 05:45:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The problem with this part is it's just relentlessly pretty ok. The song is repetitive and so is the skating with just every trick possible done down a 7-10 stair and some pretty ok ledge and Manny's. Like he just ticked every trick off a list.

and yet if it were Robbie McKinley, people would say it’s a timeless classic and oh, what could have been

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

and yet if it were Robbie McKinley, people would say it’s a timeless classic and oh, what could have been
Oh that's definately an aspect of pro skating that's bugs me more and more the older I get.
Been watching docos on pre euro South American cultures and pre Christian euro and there's a common thing of the elders just selecting a peasant seemingly at random to live as a "god". Like a whole group of peasants can work hard and do everything "right" but some get nothing and some get chosen. Reminds me of how pro skating works. (These "gods" often get sacrificed so there's also that)

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2021, 06:46:24 PM »
Herman in Stay Gold.

Just kidding. Vincent Alvarez in Pretty Sweet just because of that non-NWA song. So fuckin annoying. Personal runner up is Guy’s part in the same video because of the disgusting, easy mode in Skate 3-esque combos. Also the song
The song was better than the part. I didn’t get it then and I still don’t get it why everyone thought that was a SOTY level part when it was the fugliest slides and grinds he could do

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Idk…have you guys seen Roger Mancha in City Stars - Street Cinema?
[close]
I'm guilty of liking this part (or at least don't think it deserves the hate it gets) but it regularly gets taken down off YouTube so the comments section must be brutal.

I guess what does it for me is the nollie bs flip in the line where his arms nearly touch the ground before he pops, like on some Tiago shit, but then its like 6 inches off the ground. When he lands he almost swerves into a powerslide and almost bails. Like dude, just refilm the line…

He also has what I believe to be a fakie hardflip but I can’t tell his stance at all…so not sure. But he lands with heel drag on one foot and toe drag on the other and then tic tacs out of it to stay on. He’s obviously consistent and Legend in Brazil. It just feels like the City Stars part was thrown together hastily without any effort.

He also does like switch flip grabs on vert in that part that look perfect somehow lol.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 703
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2021, 08:20:02 PM »
it was once said that the answer to this question was Leigh Peterson

https://youtu.be/ZJ9tlEGRT-g

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2021, 08:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Ha Carlos is sick! The second half of the video picks up and there are some cool tricks in there plus his spot selection is on point and I bet he had a lot of fun making this.
[close]

I agree with all of this.  I’m just saying that I know this isn’t the point of skating, but if in some alternate universe, were I to judge this part like it was street league, this wouldn’t score too high.

oof you found a contender. Never understood the love beehive got for his skating, but he is a nice guy.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »

I thought he got kicked off because the kids dad was making ridiculous demands and Rocco was over it

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's also the clip where he switch ollies some little gap and I don't even think taps his tail and ollies at all, it was more like an acid drop. We used to laugh at a lot of his clips in that back in the day.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2021, 10:56:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

oh god yes this part was annoying. i like the streets but this song is ass and this part sucked bad. i was just like wtf is this shit just yelling "street level" over and over again

robbie mckinley was shit too

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2021, 05:25:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

oh god yes this part was annoying. i like the streets but this song is ass and this part sucked bad. i was just like wtf is this shit just yelling "street level" over and over again

robbie mckinley was shit too

The most exciting thing about that part for me was the very first trick or more specifically the rollaway lol

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2021, 05:30:51 PM »
I always hate the part where the guy screams and focuses his board
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2021, 05:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There's also the clip where he switch ollies some little gap and I don't even think taps his tail and ollies at all, it was more like an acid drop. We used to laugh at a lot of his clips in that back in the day.

Couldn’t resist - I just rewatched his part.  He has that swithflip, the switch ollie you mentioned, and a kickflip that all don’t really pop.  He also has a switch backside flip off a ledge that looks like it’s the first one he ever tried on an obstacle.  On the other hand he has a great kickflip front nose, nollie bs 180, and kickflip back lip in there.  Those Marc Johnson 2’s epitomize that whole era of Tum Yeto skating in my mind. 

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »
Danny and Colin shared part in the revolution, anyone?

You high?

europa1991

• Rep: 52
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
To be fair he does a backflip (Miller flip) in a full pipe and ollies the huge flat gap at baldy. And does a hand plant on a handrail.
I vote for Southie.
[close]
Southie's part used to anger me. Dude acting tough , not great skating and that stupid fucking hat.
Southie is what happens when you put a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome into the machine from The Fly with a dvd copy of The Boondock Saints
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:27:18 PM by europa1991 »

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
To be fair he does a backflip (Miller flip) in a full pipe and ollies the huge flat gap at baldy. And does a hand plant on a handrail.
I vote for Southie.
[close]
Southie's part used to anger me. Dude acting tough , not great skating and that stupid fucking hat.
[close]
Southie is what happens when you put a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome into the machine from The Fly with a dvd copy of The Boondock Saints

Haha, brutal

The only actually bad thing about the Crob part is the 10 Joey Brezinski tricks in it

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
I always hate the part where the guy screams and focuses his board

So AVE's part in the DC video?

#switchgod

• Rep: -93
  • One love.
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2021, 04:43:06 PM »
Danny and Colin shared part in the revolution, anyone?

You're an anti-vaxxer, aren't you?

Anyway, the answer is Billy Waldman in Rubbish Heap.