Author Topic: RIP Virgil Abloh  (Read 1585 times)

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
Re: RIP Virgil Abloh
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 11:25:08 AM »
Made a similar thread but deleted it after seeing yours.

He didn’t do much skate related besides making those LV shoes and putting a few pros in his runway show, but I always thought it was sick how multifaceted his body of work was.

But yeah RIP

Fhk

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 11:35:18 AM »
 RIP to a extremely creative man. It takes a powerful person to fight Cancer and to do it secretly as to not upset other's is unimaginable.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 11:38:38 AM »
Heavy to see another young man pass away to cancer after a private battle. RIP

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 12:25:01 PM »
So sad

R.I.P.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »
Fuck cancer. RIP

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »
Whoa, this sucks. He seemed like a cool dude who was down for supporting skaters, even though he confused Shiloh with Stevie

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 02:26:31 PM »
RIP to a extremely creative man. It takes a powerful person to fight cancer and to do it secretly as to not upset others is unimaginable.

agree. got his shot and didn't blow it neither, rip

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
RIP. Fucc cancer

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »
Made a similar thread but deleted it after seeing yours.

He didn’t do much skate related besides making those LV shoes and putting a few pros in his runway show, but I always thought it was sick how multifaceted his body of work was.

But yeah RIP

I’ve seen a bunch of people in the industry posting screen caps of him reaching out to people and giving them props, expressing support for them, etc. Looks like he was down to help out in getting Akwasi Owusu (the guy on Deathwish super good at slappies and who makes those candles and sculptures) a place at a 3-year design program/incubator. And it turns out he did some fundraising to build a skatepark in Ghana without saying anything. So it seemed like he genuinely wanted to help people and skating.

Regardless, he did a lot and had a vision. Even if you didn’t like him, there aren’t many designers with so much public recognition so he made an impact. RIP

pro club blanks

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 11:57:10 PM »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 03:10:25 AM »
Is this the dude that pretended to skateboard?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 03:58:29 AM »

He just passed

Cop on
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 05:29:02 AM »

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »
really lame. there’s photos/videos of him skating, but maybe he wasn’t hellride enough for you. i hated on him a lot and he made some wack moves to be sure, but honestly it’s cool that a guy of that stature with so much on his plate was down to reach out and support skaters and skating. i wasn’t a fan of his work by any means but i find his work ethic admirable as well, i can’t imagine having cancer, keeping it a secret and continuing on to create the way he did. pretty inspiring stuff.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
Rest easy.

While I don’t really follow fashion and pop culture to much it’s nearly impossible not to know the name Virgil. His work effort and output are really impressive, and span so many different brands and niches. From all accounts he sounds like a man truly living life to the fullest, which I respect immensely.

It’s also nice to hear how available and willing he was to help other succeed, or lend his assistance. It would be easy to have a full ego with even one of his accomplishments, but it sounds like through all his success he stayed humble.

What I also find astounding is the amount of energy he must have had. Being creative director at LV, is probably a full time job and then some but he seemed to have a never endless series of collab’s coming out, DJ sets, traveling for events. On top of that having a family and a list of friends spanning a multitude of disciplines. I have like five friends and can’t keep up with texting back sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:54:36 AM by sometimeperhaps »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
 I was never a fan, but I've learned more about him in the past 24hrs. I respect, that he used his influence to reach out to skaters and elevate them. He reached out to skaters who worked behind the scenes as in less celebrate roles in the industry, our designers. Seemed like kind of a nerdy guy, who use to skate and was into fashion and making weird shit. I think He attempted in way that really only he could to give back to awkwardly give back to skateboarding. I think he wasn't at the helm,  any marketing attempts LV made with skateboarding would have been a whole lot worse.

Dude was only 41, I'm sure he had a lot more to give to culture in general.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
I honestly had no idea who he was until I was shooting with Tony Ferguson and Virgil kept sending him LV stuff, so I googled him and he did kinda seem like a culture vulture. But, it turns out he’s skated since he was a kid, he just never got good at it. I can’t begin to relate to weird high fashion and wanting zap straps on your clothing so his work doesn’t speak to me but it sounds like he was a legit fan of skateboarding, and it can’t hurt to have a high profile figure like that down for skating.

Cancer sucks.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 01:53:49 AM »
RIP, I had never heard of him either. but it always sucks to see someone go that young.

Now this being said, fuck Vuitton, Yves Saint Laurent and all those "high fashion" houses. Overpriced pretentious garbage. As a student, I used to work at the Paris fashion week doing security and crowd management shit: I have never seen that many assholes in one single place. The fashion world is a cesspool of coat-hangers and and it should never have come into contact with the skating world. I mean, we were grimy dudes in the streets. Nothing to do with 2000 euro purses.

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:27 AM »
i think lucien is supposed to have a full lv part dropping sometime soon :( it was a big deal to put lucien on & give him a shoe & this is sad af rest easy virgil <3
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVaJvrNMI7M/?utm_medium=copy_link

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 06:27:15 AM »
my mom got be his book thats a transcription of his talk at Harvard where he showed some of his works and campaigns and broke them down to a philosophy. very influential to me and how ive approached creativity ever since.

love him or hate him, all of modern pop culture is influenced in some way by this man

Gone way too soon

thebacker

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 11:36:59 PM »
my mom got be his book thats a transcription of his talk at Harvard where he showed some of his works and campaigns and broke them down to a philosophy. very influential to me and how ive approached creativity ever since.

love him or hate him, all of modern pop culture is influenced in some way by this man

Gone way too soon

what? did I miss something big here?

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
Expand Quote

Gone way too soon
[close]

yeah kinda

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 07:21:41 AM »
Expand Quote

Gone way too soon
[close]

I didn’t know who he was either because I’m oldie but New Jersie…

I only learned of him through SLAP when Fly God told him to write ‘brick’ on his brick.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2021, 08:47:40 AM »
Looks like the GOAT dedicated some tricks to Mr. Abloh RIP

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXBhmw1gKM9/?utm_medium=copy_link
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Gone way too soon
[close]

[close]
yeah kinda

For those of us who don't follow high fashion, how can we see his influence in everyday life? Not disrespect intended, but I see lots of people saying things like he changed the world and all I know of the guy is literally zap straps on crazy looking shoes, writing things in quotation marks, and selling budget Alibaba completes for $5000. Anyone on here able to explain his significance outside of high fashion?