Author Topic: Anyone in a band?  (Read 1830 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Anyone in a band?
« on: November 29, 2021, 01:01:38 PM »
I was in punk/hardcore bands from 1987-1999 (so from age 11-23). I was always the shitty singer, but I would spaz out and do stagedives so that was pretty much what I relied on. I took 2 years of bass classes and also played drums for 2 years. I learned JUST enough guitar skill to write riffs , then hand them over to the real guitarists of bands. My first band was basically a Sex Pistols/ Circle Jerks cover band. That got played on local radio (my 6th grade girlfriend's sister was a DJ lol). Then I had a wannabe Cro-Mags/ Agnostic Front band that did not go anywhere, played a few shows. Drank a lot and did acid a lot though. My next band started off as a hardcore band and we played some gigs. But then it devolved into a Deftones style band (1994) and I did not want to rap/sing so I quit, and the band became (locally) semi-successful basically the day after. They changed the name after I quit too. The next band I was in was more ehh.. like Descendents/ Pennywise style but with Misfits style lyrics? Band imploded due to drug use from everyone in the band. Best moment was when we couldn't find our drummer because he was smoking crack outside. My last band was hardcore/grindcore.. it started with "Napalm Death is awesome". That band ended because: "I'm going away to school" + "I'm moving" + "New video game came out and it takes time to level up my guy". Seriously on the last one. So, at that moment I retired from bands. I just thought "Man, trying to get 3-4 other people on the same page sucks".

From 2008-2013 I wrote an imaginary album that I never recorded, which, musically, is a mix of old (pre-Crossover) DRI, GG Allin and the Mentors. I have about 25 songs written down and all of them are about how stupid scenes are. I never named the "band", but the album was "SS Death Squad", but the SS stands for "Scene Slaying", so yeah "Scene Slaying Death Squad". I have a rough sketch of the imaginary album cover, which is: Punk rockers being hung, thrash metal guys being shot by firing squad and a crucified skinhead being burnt at the stake. I tried to add a hipster being beaten with a case of PBR but it didn't really work. If I had time, I'd probably re-work all of these songs now. Oh I should mention, I did write guitar riffs and lyrics for all of these, but I just never recorded them. Probably would not be into them now.

Anywho... so me and my son started an imaginary (literal) garage band.

He has all sorts of computer programs and keyboards, so we may be able to just make songs on there. So it will probably be a fake punk band with all computer generated sounds because I'm too lazy to play instruments that I'm not even good at. Topics we have come up with song ideas so far:
-Minecrap (about Minecraft: "You think your house is Hacker or Pro, but its just noob") <- son idea
-Second Grade <- also son idea ("but my friends are cool and Kate is cool" in there)
-Man Wolfs (song about the Man Wolfs) <-- his idea
-Gas Prices (as high as your mom) <--my idea
-Mild Core <-- my idea (about being old)
-Road Rage (Driving While on the Phone) <-also mine

-Band name ideas:  The  Fuckos  (wife not approved) ,  Timmy Tims & The Tim Tams, not really sold yet

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
Re: Anyone in a band?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
I sang in a few different hardcore bands. Mostly screamo and powerviolence, but always loved it. Technically the last band I was in is still together just in hiatus for the last 6 years. But we all started talking again and want to record something, which would be a hoot.

I’ve joked about doing this same thing with my kid, who is clearly into similar shit. She wanted to tackle lyrics related to YouTubers she liked or true crime, and I wanted to write about existential dread and raising a kid who is probably disappointed in you. So the project imploded.

Potential band names for your project: dump truck, garbage boys, four squared, butt up, 44 mag crayon.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
I was in punk/hardcore bands from 1987-1999 (so from age 11-23). I was always the shitty singer, but I would spaz out and do stagedives so that was pretty much what I relied on. I took 2 years of bass classes and also played drums for 2 years. I learned JUST enough guitar skill to write riffs , then hand them over to the real guitarists of bands. My first band was basically a Sex Pistols/ Circle Jerks cover band. That got played on local radio (my 6th grade girlfriend's sister was a DJ lol). Then I had a wannabe Cro-Mags/ Agnostic Front band that did not go anywhere, played a few shows. Drank a lot and did acid a lot though. My next band started off as a hardcore band and we played some gigs. But then it devolved into a Deftones style band (1994) and I did not want to rap/sing so I quit, and the band became (locally) semi-successful basically the day after. They changed the name after I quit too. The next band I was in was more ehh.. like Descendents/ Pennywise style but with Misfits style lyrics? Band imploded due to drug use from everyone in the band. Best moment was when we couldn't find our drummer because he was smoking crack outside. My last band was hardcore/grindcore.. it started with "Napalm Death is awesome". That band ended because: "I'm going away to school" + "I'm moving" + "New video game came out and it takes time to level up my guy". Seriously on the last one. So, at that moment I retired from bands. I just thought "Man, trying to get 3-4 other people on the same page sucks".

From 2008-2013 I wrote an imaginary album that I never recorded, which, musically, is a mix of old (pre-Crossover) DRI, GG Allin and the Mentors. I have about 25 songs written down and all of them are about how stupid scenes are. I never named the "band", but the album was "SS Death Squad", but the SS stands for "Scene Slaying", so yeah "Scene Slaying Death Squad". I have a rough sketch of the imaginary album cover, which is: Punk rockers being hung, thrash metal guys being shot by firing squad and a crucified skinhead being burnt at the stake. I tried to add a hipster being beaten with a case of PBR but it didn't really work. If I had time, I'd probably re-work all of these songs now. Oh I should mention, I did write guitar riffs and lyrics for all of these, but I just never recorded them. Probably would not be into them now.

He has all sorts of computer programs and keyboards, so we may be able to just make songs on there. So it will probably be a fake punk band with all computer generated sounds because I'm too lazy to play instruments that I'm not even good at. Topics we have come up with song ideas so far:
-Minecrap (about Minecraft: "You think your house is Hacker or Pro, but its just noob") <- son idea
-Second Grade <- also son idea ("but my friends are cool and Kate is cool" in there)

-Band name ideas:  The  Fuckos  (wife not approved) ,  Timmy Tims & The Tim Tams, not really sold yet

The fact that your son knows about the man wolfs is so fucking sick

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 02:06:52 PM »
I used to play in a few sludgy/punk/noise hardcore bands and then a band that just worshipped duster/slint very hard haha.

I have recently been playing guitar in my friend's project, its been fun. very heavy early byrds, big star, teenange fan club vibes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-S77dnhYQ

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 02:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Note his sleeveless jean jacket in the photo. I have a Man Wolfs back patch that I will give him one day.
I made this for him, but its become just a wall hanger at this point because he doesn't want to scratch it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 02:49:54 PM »
I was a singer in a teenage punk band called The Adults in the 90s with a demo tape called „recipe for skate“ as all band members were skaters. We then changed the drummer and went more into a NY hardcore direction à la Madball releasing another demo and playing a few gigs. That‘s when I was poached by a grindcore outfit who had a record deal on a sublabel of Nuclear Blast so of course I quit the old band which then fell apart. I only played a few gigs with the grindcore band then I got kicked out because the manager was a death metal dude who did not like my baggies and Fila shoes.  ::)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »
Pic didn't work before

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 05:43:07 PM »
I’ve been in several bands 97’ to 2011 on and off from punk crusty hardcore doom death grind and power violence, one universal thing I learned is do it yourself.

I just don’t get along well with other’s, from power dynamics to reliable members who flake out and almost everyone need’s a drummer.

I’d rather do it like Fenriz and Darkthrone, no touring no live shows just drop albums and stuff.
Dueces Bitch's

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 09:22:18 PM »
I wish

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
Hell yeah! Most fun thing in the world as I’d imagine most the homies in this thread would agree on.

Like most here, a history of punk/hardcore bands and even an ill advised deathcore band in high school.

Currently in a hardcore band now and band practice is honestly the highlight of my week.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »
Hell yeah! Most fun thing in the world as I’d imagine most the homies in this thread would agree on.

Like most here, a history of punk/hardcore bands and even an ill advised deathcore band in high school.

Currently in a hardcore band now and band practice is honestly the highlight of my week.
I wish I had homies to practice with just Covid-19’s got my friends paranoid about kicking it.

I think I’d rather skate or make music by myself.
Dueces Bitch's

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
I been in some bands. I grew up idolizing my cousin Bones. He died in 86. Was the last drummer for the FUs and the first straw dogs drummer.
 My aunt Judy his ma helped me chase the bass guitar and Boston hardcore. She bought me an rbx250 bass and i Started playing bass in 91.
Self taught.
I copied anthrax and discharge the exploited. Murphy's law. Filth. Ssd dys  First band and demo in 93? Year before green day made pop punk popular to normal peoples.

PLC aka pre life crisis. Paula Zig zagloffski might have the only tape it's been said. I have no idea.

https://youtu.be/EBz7AAseUjg

Phase 2. People compare it to like dystopia mib etc.

I see it.

Wrote this with my best friend Brett Powers mid 90s. We was doing time in a horrendous new metal band when we introduced it to a set in 98. The juggalos didn't get it. Became an instrumental break in the set.

I recorded this with 4 different bands. Have videos of them no tape or anything.

https://youtu.be/6-ZAR-G-eEI

Both these are from 2016 session at rat city with Cameron Ashes on drums. Mixed and Mastered by Erik Struth of INTHESHIT at rat city.

https://youtu.be/ZUwzg92uWwQ

My first one person release. I had a torn ACL and smoked mad dust outside rat city went in freestyling no practice got this strange noise core thing.
It's actually very fast punk really. Idky people like it.

Brand new track.

Shawn Sarro bass
Ian Clark drums
Me guitar and vocals

It's not mixed or Mastered in this video. We got release and tour this year hopefully.

Supposed to be straight ahead raw punk.

https://youtu.be/WlXOj12SpZk

Drugs and my inability to fuck with industry people got me no where in music. It was so worth it.

I'm Stoned and I don't wanna fix the post.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 12:07:26 PM »

Rad thread.

Maybe just call it "Fucko" in sign language hand font? Yo that's a good name. I can see the letter style when I close my eyes.

Or "bucko" triple underlined infest font.
(A)pl(E)

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Note his sleeveless jean jacket in the photo. I have a Man Wolfs back patch that I will give him one day.
I made this for him, but its become just a wall hanger at this point because he doesn't want to scratch it

Lifestyle hammer right there

Also me and my friend from high school who i was in a band with are trying to restart our music making again. I'm not a terribly talented guitarist but i can play rhythm well enough and i can sing so hopefully we're gonna get some stuff going soon. We've already recorded a couple rough tracks that we're gonna keep working on. Very spoon inspired stuff

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 06:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lifestyle hammer right there

Also me and my friend from high school who i was in a band with are trying to restart our music making again. I'm not a terribly talented guitarist but i can play rhythm well enough and i can sing so hopefully we're gonna get some stuff going soon. We've already recorded a couple rough tracks that we're gonna keep working on. Very spoon inspired stuff

Do it for sure
(A)pl(E)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 06:15:21 AM »
In a band right now (post rock/metal thing) where I play bass and sing. Kinda wanna quit because our gig has been canceled for the third time in a row at local music bar because of Covid restrictions...Tired of rehearsing with no "release" on stage.

Also do an electronic music thingie with friends, over the internet mostly. And might start a second one soon.

My oldest son just started to fuck around on bass and guitar so who knows, maybe we'll do the family thing too!

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 08:37:42 AM »
In a band right now (post rock/metal thing) where I play bass and sing. Kinda wanna quit because our gig has been canceled for the third time in a row at local music bar because of Covid restrictions...Tired of rehearsing with no "release" on stage.

Also do an electronic music thingie with friends, over the internet mostly. And might start a second one soon.

My oldest son just started to fuck around on bass and guitar so who knows, maybe we'll do the family thing too!

That's super sick, bummer about the covid restrictions

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 09:01:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's super sick, bummer about the covid restrictions

yup thanks.... I live in Belgium and shows are now 'sitting audience' only. So many concerts canceled again. Fucking bummer.   :-\

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »
im in a band called Midlife Isis that played our schools bathroom then we all got suspended

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
im in a band called Midlife Isis that played our schools bathroom then we all got suspended

did the show go off tho?

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

did the show go off tho?
yeah it a pretty wild 4 minutes

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 12:11:15 PM »
I gotta good question. Does anyone here know what to do with the music? Say I wanna be in videos and movie soundtracks or whatever.

I have like 8 or 9 musicians who record here and we can do anything together for sure. Any style no problem.

What do I do with the music?

Other people care about getting paid eventually.

It would be nice to have deals with brands or whatever. Then I could keep buying more gear and keep building.

My dream is to rebuild what I blew off before.
I would offer the average person the ability to make a record for next to nothing.
And be paid by labels the regular prices.

What is the first step though? How do I protect my musician's property? Some of my people require up front payment to play in the studio. Others are invested in the full process of producing the songs.

I want to lift us up.

Midlife ISIS is a great name for a group
(A)pl(E)

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »
the only band i was ever in that even kinda went anywhere beyond local popularity was alleged satanic ritual abuse (ASRA), we did grind. i joined after the one recording on black box to play bass on some tours.

playing a punk squat house in what i took to be one of dicier parts of baltimore was the highlight. i think carbomb played too.

i want to be in a band that sounds like makes spooky metal like ruins of beverast but the scene here is not very metal and even less weird.

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 07:37:46 PM »

I love everything about this. Fuck yes.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 12:36:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I love everything about this. Fuck yes.

Yes, sounds epic and the name is dope.

It reminds me of a gig we had in a friends barn and our drummer was so drunk he just left the set to take a piss and took ages to return. Later on he proceded to try and smash beer bottles on his own head (like in that movie Whisky) but never succeded, instead cried like a girl. Dude was 15 years old and drunk for the first time.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2021, 02:18:55 AM »
Have played in tonnes of punk and hardcore bands. One powerviolence band. Psychedelic jam bands. Sound collage + noise stuff. Traveled, put out records etc. all of it. I also make beats and spin grime/dnb/techno/minimal etc. Obviously i'm crazy about music. I'm always itching to share stuff here but I don't wanna doxx myself :( .

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2021, 11:34:50 AM »
I gotta good question. Does anyone here know what to do with the music? Say I wanna be in videos and movie soundtracks or whatever.

I have like 8 or 9 musicians who record here and we can do anything together for sure. Any style no problem.

It would be nice to have deals with brands or whatever. Then I could keep buying more gear and keep building.

I would offer the average person the ability to make a record for next to nothing.

What is the first step though? How do I protect my musician's property? Some of my people require up front payment to play in the studio. Others are invested in the full process of producing the songs.

I want to lift us up.

I spoke with Loyd Kaufman via email about my old band being used in any upcoming Troma movie’s and he said they would if they were going to make any sometime soon, maybe we could submit a few song’s.

That was in 2015 and haven’t heard or followed back up with him, so I’d say go directly to the source of whatever movie and maybe DM them with a proposal for music or ask who to contact about soundtracks….

Either way you got nothing to lose…. Just ask around I’m sure it would work, it took me a few leads to get Loyd’s email address but once I was consistently emailing him he got back to me.
Dueces Bitch's

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 12:56:27 PM »
My best bud makes a lot of weird ass synth music and has sold 4 songs (Soundcloud?) this year and made some okay bank off of it. I dunno totally what that means because I am trapped in 1997

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 01:37:13 PM »
https://youtu.be/sYtwrbJA2BI

Working on this. I'm thinking of adding a blast beat riff.
(A)pl(E)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2021, 11:50:26 PM »

I want to lift us up.

I was lucky enough to have one of my songs featured in a big French movie, almost 20 years ago. IME, it's mostly about who you know and being in the right place at the right time. In my case, it just happened that a well known DJ lived in my neighboorhood, I met him and he liked my stuff, so he introduced it to the film maker. Pure chance. And it did not happen twice!

anyways the music industry has changed massively since then and you're in the US, so things are probably different for you. But IMHO the problem is there are now litterally millions of guys who can record at pro level easily, at home. Some are actually good enough to do all the instruments/mixing/production themselves, one-man band type deal. So the competition is really really tough....

I stumbled across this vid yesterday and I thought there were a lot of good points made....some food for thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujeG3vqtho8