Author Topic: Anyone in a band?  (Read 1834 times)

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: Anyone in a band?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2021, 12:15:44 AM »
I gotta good question. Does anyone here know what to do with the music? Say I wanna be in videos and movie soundtracks or whatever.

I have like 8 or 9 musicians who record here and we can do anything together for sure. Any style no problem.

What do I do with the music?

Other people care about getting paid eventually.

It would be nice to have deals with brands or whatever. Then I could keep buying more gear and keep building.

My dream is to rebuild what I blew off before.
I would offer the average person the ability to make a record for next to nothing.
And be paid by labels the regular prices.

What is the first step though? How do I protect my musician's property? Some of my people require up front payment to play in the studio. Others are invested in the full process of producing the songs.

I want to lift us up.

Midlife ISIS is a great name for a group

Hmm, I just recently watched a documentary about how in the Streaming era 99,9 percent of musicians get fucked over. Unless you almost reach drake levels of fame it is very hard to monetize with music alone. I try to buy albums from band camp if I really like the band as it seems there the musicians seem to get the best percentage. Some musicians in Germany have started to make limited editions of vinyl again. Those seem to sell out quickly. I have no idea if there is much money in that, though…
Have you thought about making your music available for skate edits? Those potentially reach a lot of people.

I have a small jazz funk group with two of my neighbors. We have been playing together once a week for two years now. We program the drums. I play the trumpet and my friends play bass/guitare and keyboard. The keyboarder is actually a professional musician who ends up teaching us a lot of things. Lately we’ve been getting more into dub. Band practice is my favorite night of the week!

TranquilElephant

• Rep: 6
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2021, 08:54:28 AM »
I was in one for a bit in high school. Mad respect to anyone still doin it, requires constant hustling and taking pretty much anything you can get. This was the one EP we put out: https://open.spotify.com/album/3WdP9HEVC8QZl63opKztIa?si=z_km4aR8S0Kx36pXoiYWuQ

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2021, 11:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I gotta good question. Does anyone here know what to do with the music? Say I wanna be in videos and movie soundtracks or whatever.

I have like 8 or 9 musicians who record here and we can do anything together for sure. Any style no problem.

What do I do with the music?

Other people care about getting paid eventually.

It would be nice to have deals with brands or whatever. Then I could keep buying more gear and keep building.

My dream is to rebuild what I blew off before.
I would offer the average person the ability to make a record for next to nothing.
And be paid by labels the regular prices.

What is the first step though? How do I protect my musician's property? Some of my people require up front payment to play in the studio. Others are invested in the full process of producing the songs.

I want to lift us up.

Midlife ISIS is a great name for a group
[close]

I was lucky enough to have one of my songs featured in a big French movie, almost 20 years ago. IME, it's mostly about who you know and being in the right place at the right time. In my case, it just happened that a well known DJ lived in my neighboorhood, I met him and he liked my stuff, so he introduced it to the film maker. Pure chance. And it did not happen twice!

anyways the music industry has changed massively since then and you're in the US, so things are probably different for you. But IMHO the problem is there are now litterally millions of guys who can record at pro level easily, at home. Some are actually good enough to do all the instruments/mixing/production themselves, one-man band type deal. So the competition is really really tough....

I stumbled across this vid yesterday and I thought there were a lot of good points made....some food for thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujeG3vqtho8

Thanks. We're recording our demo today. Then hitting the studio seriously in January.

We're got some friends who do comedy podcasts. I'm going to see if we sponsor or something if they will advertise our studio.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2022, 08:37:11 AM »
I need an argument for keeping these lyrics.

Our band Nancy x Spungen is supposed to be about the gutter life we use to live. I feel like these guys don't really wanna hear these things or they didn't know what an incredible lyricist I am.

There's been things said on our group chat that my lyrics are making my drummer have issues with his recovery. He's my very best friend in the world. I love him more than my brother.

Idk what to do.

People who don't actually know me or Duane keep comparing me to Duane. It's supposed to be a compliment but it kinda hurts my feelings.

Duane is a real fucking writer that's for sure but that dude hates me.

Anyway this is our newest one. I don't know if it will ever become anything. Maybe you could help me out with an argument point to keep it.

“1234

I ain't ever been no working man

I ain't ever going to be no business man

Life's a gamble but why roll the dice

My PTSD screams I'm gunna pay the price

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
My hands are tied

I ain't never felt so alive

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
My hands are tied

I never felt so buried alive

I ain't ever been no soberman

I am always gonna be your space cadet

If I can plz stay high I'll pay the price

I take another swing drop my head in my vice

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
my hands are tied

I ain't never felt so
alive

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
My hands are tied

Bass Break

If you asked around you would hear that I died

Would you please let them know I'm still here and Ill continue to try

I ain't ever been no jury man

I ain't ever ever ever gunna be no police man

No one has the right ta how to live

The systems far more criminal than any thing we Ever did.

I ain't ever been in my mind

Can't fight my hands are tied

I ain't never felt so buried alive

I ain't never been
I ain't never been
I ain't never been

nobody

I ain't never been
I ain't never been
I ain't never been
nobody

(A)pl(E)

Razortail Credit Card

• Rep: -14
  • 3DXRV
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »
I'm 40 this year and I started playing music when I was 12. I picked up the guitar pretty quickly, played obsessively until about 16 when I started driving, and caring more about weed and girls than seriously practicing. I can play the bass as well, fingerstyle, and I can sing but I don't really do it anymore because I smoke weed and it has fucked up my singing voice over the last ten-fifteen years. My brother is a very talented musician, amazing drummer and has some classical training so he has been my mentor since day one. I've been jamming with people and playing for fun since I was young but I've only been in one proper band and been lucky enough once to find a group of people I have camaraderie with and like the same sounds. We never wrote any songs, but we learned the entire first Black Sabbath album from start to finish. I have the loudest voice of anyone I know and I have the same vocal range as younger Ozzy so it made sense for me to be the singer, while I do enjoy being on stage I much prefer playing guitar or bass, singing is more pressure and more scrutiny and not so much fun.

So anyways I scored a hot setup from my brother and I'm starting to make music again after an long hiatus. I copped this gear off of my bro who originally bought this stuff in 2008 or 9. It's a M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI Controller, a Korg Padkontrol MIDI Controller, a Creative Audio sound card and a Toshiba laptop with Ableton 8 software. I've just been messing with it and having my brother walk me through it but I am SO stoked on this shit. I love music and it's a big part of my life so to be back in the saddle making beats and melodies has been super fun. My new project is called Umbra Ultra, it's just short simple electro-punk songs with cold and dark textures. I plan to realize an album called Ice Age with tons of breif songs, creepy and catchy minimalist sounds. If I add vocals they will be gibberish or baby talk because I hate writing lyrics. I might also add occasional guitar fills, we'll see. Will post in the Post Your Music thread as soon as I am satisfied with what I've got on wax

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2022, 03:38:36 PM »
I need an argument for keeping these lyrics.

Our band Nancy x Spungen is supposed to be about the gutter life we use to live. I feel like these guys don't really wanna hear these things or they didn't know what an incredible lyricist I am.

There's been things said on our group chat that my lyrics are making my drummer have issues with his recovery. He's my very best friend in the world. I love him more than my brother.

Idk what to do.

People who don't actually know me or Duane keep comparing me to Duane. It's supposed to be a compliment but it kinda hurts my feelings.

Duane is a real fucking writer that's for sure but that dude hates me.

Anyway this is our newest one. I don't know if it will ever become anything. Maybe you could help me out with an argument point to keep it.

“1234

I ain't ever been no working man

I ain't ever going to be no business man

Life's a gamble but why roll the dice

My PTSD screams I'm gunna pay the price

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
My hands are tied

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
My hands are tied

I ain't ever been no soberman

I am always gonna be your space cadet

If I can plz stay high I'll pay the price

I take another swing drop my head in my vice

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
my hands are tied

I ain't never felt so
alive

I ain't ever been
in my mind

Can't fight
My hands are tied

Bass Break

If you asked around you would hear that I died

Would you please let them know I'm still here and Ill continue to try

I ain't ever been no jury man

I ain't ever ever ever gunna be no police man

No one has the right ta how to live

The systems far more criminal than any thing we Ever did.

I ain't never felt so buried alive

I ain't never been
I ain't never been
I ain't never been

nobody

I ain't never been
I ain't never been
I ain't never been
nobody

I really like that line „I can‘t fight my hands are tied“.

So you are afraid your band members might think the lyrics are to negative/not life affirming enough/anti sobriety. You need to convince them that they are not all that negative, right?

To me the song describes the mixed feelings of a person, who used to be an addict and doesn‘t really know what else to do or doesn’t know who he is now that he lives a regular life. It seems like the person would like to use again, but then that isn’t really an alternative either since life back then wasn‘t great either: „ I ain‘t ever been in my mind.“

The line „I ain‘t never felt so alive“ points to a more positive outcome: even though the person feels buried alive (by regular life) the person also somehow feels more alive than he ever has, because he faces these feelings.

Does that help? I am not a recovering addict, but isn’t talking about your feelings part of the process of recovery? That‘s why people go to AA, right? I mean in therapy it is all about acknowledging your feelings. That‘s supposed to give you the power to then act in a healthier way.

Razortail Credit Card

• Rep: -14
  • 3DXRV
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2022, 03:46:58 PM »
Flea, here is my advice: Inspiration functions in the same way an AM/FM radio- you have to keep turning the dials until you come across a station. Follow me?

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
heres my band: https://well.bandcamp.com/releases

lost our bassist tho, we'll see what happens I guess.

generally its been a money pit, but i need to play drums like i need to skate.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »
Been in several bands over the last 30 years and a few released a 7” or two but nothing to write home about, drugs booze and women as well as drunken shenanigans. 

https://youtu.be/pZ6gqxavOOM
Playing bass and singing

https://youtu.be/JJOSLYXyxjQ
Bass

https://youtu.be/60iIemPH9-I
Bass and sing
Dueces Bitch's

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2022, 01:22:57 AM »
I was almost in this band. I met with I guess what you would call the leader twice, once at his house where I played for him and once at mine. I learned their songs from a tape he gave me. They weren't bad guitar parts. Bit heavy on the pinch harmonics, even for the time and genre. I'm pretty sure they got arrested because I never heard back, and they apparently have a tendency to get arrested. I remember after I played their songs I learned back to him he asked me if I was comfortable being onstage (yeah, I was an all state trumpet player, I've played in front of more people than they have.) Then he asked me if I had any ideas of what kind of costume I would want to wear. I hadn't really thought that far ahead yet. Here is said band:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Eroticide/30074

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2022, 07:24:50 AM »
Started a new band not too long ago, we'll see how it goes.
Last time I've played in a band was 2016.
Punkrock-ish tunes a la Gaslight Anthem and such.
There is a rehearsal of us floating on Youtube, since we've kept forgetting our songs and how to play them.

https://youtu.be/juG4aHgMvG0

Oh how I miss that Gibson double cut, biggest mistake to sell that one.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »
I played drums in this "screamo" band in the late 90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJsGGGr29c

and this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMeHj9yAN0

Nowadays i just make solo synth noise, but sometimes I miss the days of band practise and driving to shows.

@ok Boomer: Fuckos is a rad band name. I would accept no veto if I were you

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2022, 02:09:59 PM »

and this one

Nowadays i just make solo synth noise, but sometimes I miss the days of band practise and driving to shows.

@ok boomer: Fuckos is a rad band name. I would accept no veto if I were you

Dude is your guitarist in that first video named Ernie by chance? He's the spitting image of my guitarist friend. I can't imagine him playing screamo though.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2022, 02:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote

and this one

[close]

Dude is your guitarist in that first video named Ernie by chance? He's the spitting image of my guitarist friend. I can't imagine him playing screamo though.

Nope. but maybe I should start calling him that. His name is Sven

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

and this one

[close]

[close]

DUDE WHAT THE FUCK I LOVE TRISTIAN TZARA AND KOBRA KHAN

THATS SVEN FROM REPUBLIC OF DREAMS AND LOUISE CYPHER RIGHT?!?

HUGE SHOUTS TO GERMAN SCREAMO
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2022, 02:41:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

and this one

[close]

[close]

[close]

DUDE WHAT THE FUCK I LOVE TRISTIAN TZARA AND KOBRA KHAN

THATS SVEN FROM REPUBLIC OF DREAMS AND LOUISE CYPHER RIGHT?!?

HUGE SHOUTS TO GERMAN SCREAMO

Yup. That’s Sven from RoD and Louise Cypher.
Thanks man. Makes me happy that some noise we made like nearly 25 years ago is still appreciated.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2022, 07:42:52 PM »
https://fb.watch/h3VNhJEk9Y/?mibextid=RUbZ1f

I'm not sure how to post this but this is the band
(A)pl(E)

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »
I was first chair in band in high school.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2022, 06:30:59 PM »
I wish

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2022, 07:41:00 PM »
(A)pl(E)

wallridewitch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
looking for mfrs trying to make hc/punk/grind/pv (and the rest of the subs).. recently moved to east oakland looking to play/make some music been in so many bands an sold out tapes for Before Law on Nuclear Family Records. Hit me tf up

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2023, 11:43:47 AM »
I was in a hardcore band called Picked Clean, i did vocals. We toured a bit, released 2 7”s and a slew of tapes
https://sixfeetunderrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sfu055-picked-clean-s-t

Then i played guitar in a hardcore band called Side FX
https://notnormaltapes.bandcamp.com/album/nnt-017-side-fx-demo