Author Topic: Thoughts on NHS  (Read 10154 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
Re: Thoughts on NHS
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2021, 06:54:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Indys are good, they are still good. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy
[close]
Indy’s are great, so is Mob. The other brands i don't care for personally but I'm glad that Tom Asta can feed and house his kids off Santa Cruz money, so on balance I guess I am NHS positive

Came here to make some version of all three of those points.  Thanks for the assist.

Currently skating Indy Ti 169’s.  They’re are fun while also being extremely functional. 

sfa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 07:07:52 AM »
it's all just stuff for kids or dudes in their 50's
I need a coffee

livin on a speyer

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2021, 07:15:01 AM »
Dudes in their 50's rule.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2021, 07:18:10 AM »
Lots of skaters get paid from nhs, it’s the bigger side of skating which isn’t for everyone. That’s why there are so many brands now. Buy Coda, Lurpiv, dial tone, quantum bearings, iron horse etc. the industry is very diverse and Any facet you could dream up is there to be explored.
All the people who work at nhs are great and do so much for my shop, I can’t complain. The funny licensing deals exist because people want them, skateboarding is huge and like anything else it’s a commodity now. They have a lane and they own it. I don’t see the problem. Novak and Denike basically created the skateboard industry, if you don’t like it make your own companies.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2021, 08:09:54 AM »
Been into Creature for a long time, love ‘em

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 08:24:12 AM »
its all bad

Id like to refine my answer, Strangenotes dvds were awesome. I wont skate any of it though
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:18:00 AM by jerrygurneyscream »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2021, 08:30:39 AM »
indy, oj, and bronson are actually really good and fill specific niches that are godlike, the rest of the shit is whatever. its not bad but its nothing i care too much about. SC + Creature are way better than Element and PLan B. but theres like a billion board companies so they are just another 2 brands lost in the mix to me.

bones wheels are the best hard wheels, spitfire are good medium-hard, and OJ are the best medium wheels
i love bones bearings but bronson just as good and not as expensive
indy are lighter weight than ACE trucks and are a better in between tightness and loose turning and good height to them. ACE are heavier but much looser turning, not everyone wants that. theres advantages and disadvantanges to both.
ONTARIO CANADA

vhsfisheye

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 09:12:11 AM »
it's all just stuff for kids or dudes in their 50's

This guy who’s about 26 told me his favourite brand is Santa Cruz. I’m still trying to piece together his reasoning.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »
Well, basically OJ is the only company that makes authentic 80's shaped wheels, but I would really like some OJIII shaped wheels that are hard. I kinda want to try slimeballs. I have broken OJIIIs multiple times though, the core separated from the wheel granted I had been powersliding on them a bit and I've also had them like chip in half on impact from flip tricks.

SC does have some of the cleanest art in the industry but the collabs and their fanbase really make me not want to be in possession of one. Its either old guys and not the cool kind or childfen. Even though they outsource really talented professional artists alot of the graphics feel super contrived.

Someone gave me a Natas kitten reissue because they didn't like how it felt and after seconds of having set it up i understood why. The tail felt kinked, like it had two different inclines. Definitely made me feel like i should avoid the wood.

Used to like creature but something about a green board just doesn't feel right to me. Cant really get behind the 'metal' graphic direction, is just cheesy and watered down especially since metal has gotten adopted and gentrified by the h&m crowd. Love gravette and willis though.

Kinda wish flip had stayed here, I had a camo hkd board when they were nhs and greyson was on the team beardless and that was a pretty good little time frame.

Indy are my go to trucks, never really strayed away. Tried ace and dont like how they basically shorten your wheelbase. I dont buy new ones though, have had the same 3 pairs in rotation for about a 7 years.

Mob is awful. Never tried bronson. Never tried krux but i dont think i could do it.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2021, 09:33:20 AM »
Indys are good. I like the Krux team but have never tried their trucks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:01:54 PM by SatanicPanic »

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2021, 09:42:36 AM »
Dudes in their 50's rule.

Didn’t say it was a bad thing!!

Like 144 said. They got a lane. And the history is undeniable.
I need a coffee

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
Before this devolves into a argument about "Made in China", I'll add that the guys at the top have some solid business accument. T

hey may have gone too far with Spongebob / Simpson's licensing deals but were the first to go hard mainstream with collabs in the 2010s, paving the way for Primitive to do anime collabs. They are also fortunate that skaters who grew up riding their brand in the 80s/90s now have much more disposable income to blow $400 on a reissue. Lean heavy into their heritage with the Screaming Hand / Classic dot for some consistent deck sales.

And like that Maurio Mccoy and Tom Asta are getting paid.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2021, 09:58:02 AM »
I’m gonna guess that none of the people claiming Indy is the best have actually tried the Caliber IIIs yet.

Also, when talking about Deluxe & Spitfire, it would be nice if Jeff Klindt (RIP) could get his due respect for being pivotal in the creation of Spitfire, as well as helping move Deluxe Dist. from T-shirts & records to skateboard hard goods (and more T-shirts.)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »
I’m gonna guess that none of the people claiming Indy is the best have actually tried the Caliber IIIs yet.

Also, when talking about Deluxe & Spitfire, it would be nice if Jeff Klindt (RIP) could get his due respect for being pivotal in the creation of Spitfire, as well as helping move Deluxe Dist. from T-shirts & records to skateboard hard goods (and more T-shirts.)

SHOTS FIRED. LOU EXPOSING FOOLS OUT HERE

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
never had any issues with my healthcare, hopefully the rumored plans of selling it off/privatization dont happen.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
. (are even Thunder and Venture raws still at Ermico / SF / USA?)
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
Trust me, you can trust @mattdlx.
Can also personally verify that hangers  & cast plates are poured at Ermico in SF, at least as of a couple weeks ago.
Pointech side of the building was humming too.
I’m glad we could straighten that out.
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
hey may have gone too far with Spongebob / Simpson's licensing deals but were the first to go hard mainstream with collabs in the 2010s, paving the way for Primitive to do anime collabs. They are also fortunate that skaters who grew up riding their brand in the 80s/90s now have much more disposable income to blow $400 on a reissue. Lean heavy into their heritage with the Screaming Hand / Classic dot for some consistent deck sales.

More than deck sales, for the general public, the Screaming Hand/Dot logo is probably the second most popular skate hoodie after Thrasher. Maybe more popular, honestly, because I think a lot of people don't see it as being explicitly skate related. Everyone from or passing through the town of Santa Cruz buys one.

And NHS is famously litigious, so there aren't a lot of knockoff screaming hand hoodies floating around.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Can also personally verify that hangers  & cast plates are poured at Ermico in SF, at least as of a couple weeks ago.
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III

Are they titanium hangers made in America or are those trucks assembled "of foreign and domestic components"?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

SHOTS FIRED. LOU EXPOSING FOOLS OUT HERE
I mean, have you seen those things? They have an adjustable bushing system that uses shims.
SHIMS!!! It’s genius is what it is!
Why didn’t any of us think of this brilliant solution to…?!?
LHOTSE WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG: WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED!!!
We should have heeded his warnings, but now it’s too late for most of us.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2021, 10:20:23 AM »
never had any issues with my healthcare, hopefully the rumored plans of selling it off/privatization dont happen.

If the tories could they would.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2021, 10:24:20 AM »
i hate mob grip, too grippy for me

i don’t like indys, can’t say i hate them because i skated trucks that were much worse (silver, old tensors, old royals, street corner ventures) but whenever i skate a board with them on i feel like there’s a split second before the board starts turning unlike aces or thunders where the turn starts instantly after leaning to the side

never tried krux

the wheels suck

the bearings suck

never had a nhs board, i like santa cruz team but don’t like the graphics and creature is mostly transition oriented which i’m not really into

however the one thing i really like about nhs is their completes. they are reasonably priced, all of the parts are good quality compared to other completes and most importantly the shapes are great for children. for example a 7.75 sc complete is about 30 inches long and has a 13 inch wheelbase. most companies don’t make boards that short and whenever somebody comes to the shop i work in and wants to buy a board for their kid i usually sell them a santa cruz because i can’t imagine a 4 and a half foot tall kid trying to ollie on a 32 inch long board.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

Are they titanium hangers made in America or are those trucks assembled "of foreign and domestic components"?
Excellent question, to which I say “I have no idea.”
I don’t know enough about the process to be able to tell what metal is which in the fab process.  I’m not swift with the metallurgy, and I don’t know that I could tell a Ti axle from a steel one at any distance, either.
In other words, I don’t know what I was seeing, beyond clearly being able to see trucks in various stages of fabrication.
For THAT specific data point that you asked about @manysnakes, perhaps we can turn to the aforementioned PAL, @mattdlx, for the answer.
As I said in the exchange quoted above, you can believe the brother on the matter.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »
I was a SMA/Santa Cruz guy when all my friends were into Powell Peralta when I started skating in the 80s. I've tried their products off and on over the decades.

With the exception of some stage 7 indys that I managed to crack both hangers after maybe 3 months of skating, they've been quality.

Currently, I've got some indys on some setups, riding the natas ojs on one, and shin sanbongi ojs on another one. Good stuff..

thebacker

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
They peaked with strange notes

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

[close]
I don’t know enough about the process to be able to tell what metal is which in the fab process.  I’m not swift with the metallurgy, and I don’t know that I could tell a Ti axle from a steel one at any distance, either.
In other words, I don’t know what I was seeing, beyond clearly being able to see trucks in various stages of fabrication.
For THAT specific data point that you asked about @manysnakes, perhaps we can turn to the aforementioned PAL, @mattdlx, for the answer.
As I said in the exchange quoted above, you can believe the brother on the matter.

For sure, I am not doubting it. I just remember that it was the titanium hangers which originally took Independent to China, so I assume it's something that's beyond the capacity of Ermico to produce. I've worked in heavy manufacturing, so really I am just curious about the details.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

[close]
[close]

For sure, I am not doubting it. I just remember that it was the titanium hangers which originally took Independent to China, so I assume it's something that's beyond the capacity of Ermico to produce. I've worked in heavy manufacturing, so really I am just curious about the details.
the hangar is not titanium, the axel is. im assuming all hangars get poured at ermico around what ever axel they want. can @mattdlx explain why the trucks dont say "made in USA". if its such a big selling point for the two brands why doesnt it say where they are made? I heard that Pointech was moved to Mexico and some of the classics formula wheels say made in Mexico on them. I think Ermico just makes the F4s. Ermico should be boastful that they are manufacturing skate stuff in USA, not many other skate brands can make that claim.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2021, 10:52:18 AM »
Well, basically OJ is the only company that makes authentic 80's shaped wheels, but I would really like some OJIII shaped wheels that are hard. I kinda want to try slimeballs. I have broken OJIIIs multiple times though, the core separated from the wheel granted I had been powersliding on them a bit and I've also had them like chip in half on impact from flip tricks.

SC does have some of the cleanest art in the industry but the collabs and their fanbase really make me not want to be in possession of one. Its either old guys and not the cool kind or childfen. Even though they outsource really talented professional artists alot of the graphics feel super contrived.

Someone gave me a Natas kitten reissue because they didn't like how it felt and after seconds of having set it up i understood why. The tail felt kinked, like it had two different inclines. Definitely made me feel like i should avoid the wood.

Used to like creature but something about a green board just doesn't feel right to me. Cant really get behind the 'metal' graphic direction, is just cheesy and watered down especially since metal has gotten adopted and gentrified by the h&m crowd. Love gravette and willis though.

Kinda wish flip had stayed here, I had a camo hkd board when they were nhs and greyson was on the team beardless and that was a pretty good little time frame.

Indy are my go to trucks, never really strayed away. Tried ace and dont like how they basically shorten your wheelbase. I dont buy new ones though, have had the same 3 pairs in rotation for about a 7 years.

Mob is awful. Never tried bronson. Never tried krux but i dont think i could do it.
Powell makes reissues of their 80s wheels

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
NHS is a decent company. I dont know of any terribly slimy stuff they have done besides moving Indy away from Ermico.

SC lost its flavor in the knot logo era. Now in the second coming of the dot logo era its pretty bland. I like the reissues/ winkowskis and few graphics here and there. seeing the dot logo in every surf/skate/sneaker shop makes it a brand for tourists, dads and toddlers.

Creature is rad for the team and shapes they offer. I could never wear any of the clothes or anything, and most of the graphics arent very appealing. but I choose boards on shape and size. I like the vids they make with some major park ripping and raw street spots. I relate to skatepark skating in videos because I skate parks a lot so I like to see what pro can do at all the gnarliest parks.

mob is a decent product.

OJ is a rad brand for cruiser wheels but the hard wheels dont seem very good to me. 55mm super juice is a good wheel and 52/54mm keyframes is one of the best beginner wheels

Krux are lame

Bullet is some cheap ass shit

ricta is pretty lame but the 92a clouds are a decent wheel. they are soft but can slide if your on the right surface and going fast.

Bronson im still on the fence about. the G2s are total garbage, they were made to steal some market share from Reds which is possibly the #1 best selling skate product behind mob/jessup. G3s are decent bearing. Raws are fucking stupid. Ceramics are cool if you want the cheapest ceramics available.

Indys are really good trucks. I dont care where they are made. they turn and grind the best for me. The clothes are similar to the SC dot logo where you see foos that dont skate rocking it all the time.

tonny hank

• Rep: -3
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2021, 12:14:45 PM »
Basically they own most the market, nhs & dlx with thrasher is like one big monopoly on product from the westcoast.

Anything come close to that power anywhere else? Only other big companies i know are distributers, for that product.

Seems so far the revive strategy really is the best route to divert money from cali/mex product hub.

tonny hank

• Rep: -3
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »
ill take a box though