Author Topic: How many different boards do you actively skate?  (Read 4159 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
Re: How many different boards do you actively skate?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have an insane quiver right now. I miss when I just skated a 7.75" with Venture lows and didn't think about gear other than which AWS/Habitat board I was going to skate next.
[close]

I was thinking the other day about how, as a child, I would just go an entire summer without so much as adjusting my trucks. New decks were decided on the basis of what was cheapest, no consideration given even to width or length. Bearings were replaced on the basis of whether or not a wheel still spun.
[close]
For me, the advent of hd skate vids contributed to gear madness. Suddenly, you can see what trucks, wheels, deck shapes everyone's riding and you wonder to yourself if you could also skate better with the  set up on screen.
[close]

Having a real job and kids but no time to skate also helps you waste countless hours at night obsessing over setups

that is soooooo true..and setting up a new complete is like therapy after hours at worksite/office.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have an insane quiver right now. I miss when I just skated a 7.75" with Venture lows and didn't think about gear other than which AWS/Habitat board I was going to skate next.
[close]

I was thinking the other day about how, as a child, I would just go an entire summer without so much as adjusting my trucks. New decks were decided on the basis of what was cheapest, no consideration given even to width or length. Bearings were replaced on the basis of whether or not a wheel still spun.
[close]
For me, the advent of hd skate vids contributed to gear madness. Suddenly, you can see what trucks, wheels, deck shapes everyone's riding and you wonder to yourself if you could also skate better with the  set up on screen.
[close]

Having a real job and kids but no time to skate also helps you waste countless hours at night obsessing over setups
[close]

that is soooooo true..and setting up a new complete is like therapy after hours at worksite/office.

Amen. Sometimes I feel like I'd want to work at Zumiez one day a week just to put boards together since most the workers don't even know how to cut grip.

GGK42069

• Rep: 4
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »
ive got 3 right now, all get fair play.

8.5 foundation/indy 149s/f4 99 54s - my "real" board for all around. could skate this for life and be happy

8.3 shop deck football shape/indy 139s/bones stf 53s - a little shorter than my regular, travels a little better and really fun when i just want to switch it up

8.75 santa cruz football shape/indy 159s/acid 86a 56s - functional cruiser/slappy board. this one actually gets the most time, the wheels and shape are so fun that i use it to get around or hit a quick curb most days. dont really have enough time to get a full session at a park or spot too often and this one just satisfies the cravings running errands in the neighborhood. not mad about it, its great

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »
2 boards.
8.5 quasi, 149 Ti's, 56mm 99du f4 classics.
(Have two more the same shape waiting to skate)

9.25 polar 1991 shape, 159 Ti's, 54mm 97du f4 classics.

Both with bones swiss 6 and bones medium bushings.

I use them both for street, I'm not a transition skater apart from banks etc.
Used to run more setups but having too many was messing with my muscle memory and consistency, or so I thought. Better to keep it to one consistent board that's my go-to, and one bigger, fun shape for when I just want a change. I find the two help to push each other. Like learning new tricks on the 8.5 and then trying to get them on 9.25, but also skating the 9.25 for a week or so builds strength and makes the 8.5 feel lighter.

I have the parts for more boards and sometimes put together frankenstein setups for a laugh but they usually suck and don't last long.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »
Excluding the cruiser 3.

Transition board from 8,75 to 9,25 (Fishtails or similar)

Street board 8,5  (Popsickle)

Curb board, usually an 9+ (egg or similar)
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2021, 12:24:40 PM »
It’s winter so none.

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2021, 01:31:40 PM »
I got 2 at the moment. And one to set up, but I feel if I set another board up it'll mess with my balance.
Cruiser: X2 Black label Lucero 8.8/32/14.5
               Venture 6.1
               Krooked risers
               G3 bronsons
               OJ 56mm keyframes
               Little buddies

Other/trick board: Hockey 8.38
                                 Venture 5.8
                                 Reds Big Balls
                                 Spitfire classic f4 54mm.
Just call me Daddy.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2021, 01:58:13 PM »
i have every size deck setup, my 7.8",8",8.25",8.5" all have the same 14"wb, tensor maglight trucks and 54mm wheels but different durometers wheels 95a oj nomads, 95a oj hardline, 97a spitire conical full . then i have Girl couch with Thunder 151 lights, 54mm orbs 86a pugs wheels, Heroin dead dave with indy 169s titaniums, 55mm ML 80hd wheels and heroin eyeballer(shortened wb 1") with ace 66 classics, 54mm spitfire charger 80hd and i have a board setup for the rain with all weather bearings. so 8 setups that i actively skate! some last longer than others because i only use them at the skate park/ transition and some get beat to crap from slappies.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »
i have every size deck setup, my 7.8",8",8.25",8.5" all have the same 14"wb, tensor maglight trucks and 54mm wheels but different durometers wheels 95a oj nomads, 95a oj hardline, 97a spitire conical full . then i have Girl couch with Thunder 151 lights, 54mm orbs 86a pugs wheels, Heroin dead dave with indy 169s titaniums, 55mm ML 80hd wheels and heroin eyeballer(shortened wb 1") with ace 66 classics, 54mm spitfire charger 80hd and i have a board setup for the rain with all weather bearings. so 8 setups that i actively skate! some last longer than others because i only use them at the skate park/ transition and some get beat to crap from slappies.
What do you think about the all weather bearings? Also, which ones did you get?

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2021, 10:59:08 PM »
I have 15 set up ready to go but I only skate about eight of them and out of those eight, only about four get skated once a week*. I'm a huge fan of buying vintage trucks for cheap on ebay and trying them out

1. Baker Logo 8.5 - Ace 44s - Speedlab x Slappy Hour 56mms (main)*
2. Antihero Eagle 10.0 - Indy 215 - Spitfire Classics 60mm*
3. Shop Cruiser Shape 7.9 - Thunder 149 - Zip Zinger 80HD 56mm*
4. AH Eagle 8.5 - Indy 149 - 58mm 80HDs (filming board)*
5. 7.12 classic 70s shape - Shag Carpet Grip - Monster 129s - Fat Longboard wheels
6. 7.12 classic 70s shape - Astro turf grip - Fury 7.25s - 54mm 80HDs
7. 7.12 classic 70s shape - Royal Evo 4s 7.5 - 56mm 80HDs
8. Hopps Logo 8.0 - Ace 33s - 50mm ish wheels

The rest, they get ridden maybe once per month.
9. Baker 7.5 Logo - Krux 7.6 - 52mm spits (early 2000s board)
10. Powell Cab Dragon - Indy 159s - 56mm OJs
11. Shop Cruiser Shape 7.9 - Indy 139s stage 9s - 56mm Spits 101A
12. Girl Bannerot 8.5 - Ace 44s - 57mm 80HDs (rain board)
13. 7.12 classic 70s shape w/ rails - Thunder 139s - Girl 54mm Cruiser wheels
14. Hopps Eggenling 8.25 - Thunder 144 - 45mm ish Spitfires (Xtra old and worn down wheels)
15. Santa Cruz Delfino 8.25 - Ace 44s - 54mm Ojs (guest board incase someone doesn't have one or something like that)

I also have some Venture 6.1s, Krux 7.6, and Thunder 139s that are just collecting dust. I need to get them on something.

It's overkill and at times I wish I didn't have so many. However, It's nice to have options and spice things up

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2021, 09:22:10 AM »
always intrigued by people who have huge quivers that they actually skate, I guess it is just a tool/toy after all.

I have 1 skateboard that I actually skate and do tricks on and a grocery-getter cruiser for just transportation.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2021, 05:14:27 PM »
It’s winter so none.
Same.  I'll return in like March with a 9.0 egg, 8.0 popsicle, 7.5 pinner, and a healthy right hamstring.

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2021, 02:07:57 PM »
I might have a problem

Not pictured is my work set up

donkey

• Rep: -66
  • donk
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2021, 11:10:35 AM »
3 setups in summer, 2 setups in winter. Similar to OP's setups beside the fact that I don't "cruise", I slappy.

With proper discipline, "cruising" is not necessary.
what does this even mean dude. how is cruising not necessary

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2021, 04:23:15 PM »

This is what’s in my trunk right now. If I’m skating with my friends I usually just skate my regular setup(far left). I’ll switch to any board if I either break my board, or if I get bored/uninspired at a spot we’re skating, and my car is close by. If I’m skating by myself I’ll bring one of the other setups with me. Sometimes I won’t touch it, sometimes I’ll alternate boards, and sometimes I won’t even touch my normal setup. Right now the 9” eagle is getting as much use as my main setup

8.25”
9”
Surf Jr.
8.88” Gonz deck
Mango signature shape Frog

I don’t really have gear madness. Sometimes I see a cool shape and think that it’ll be cool/fun to skate. I’m a single dude with a career. It’s sort of like the scene from Step Brothers where they talk about the night vision goggles. Having these boards would’ve been cool when I was younger, but it’s cooler now that I’m an adult

fuck you bama

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2021, 06:34:21 PM »

This is what’s in my trunk right now. If I’m skating with my friends I usually just skate my regular setup(far left). I’ll switch to any board if I either break my board, or if I get bored/uninspired at a spot we’re skating, and my car is close by. If I’m skating by myself I’ll bring one of the other setups with me. Sometimes I won’t touch it, sometimes I’ll alternate boards, and sometimes I won’t even touch my normal setup. Right now the 9” eagle is getting as much use as my main setup

8.25”
9”
Surf Jr.
8.88” Gonz deck

I don’t really have gear madness. Sometimes I see a cool shape and think that it’ll be cool/fun to skate. I’m a single dude with a career. It’s sort of like the scene from Step Brothers where they talk about the night vision goggles. Having these boards would’ve been cool when I was younger, but it’s cooler now that I’m an adult

Envious

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »

8.25”
9”
Surf Jr.
8.88” Gonz deck

What size trucks are you using with that frog? I was eyeing the jesse alba frog 10". With the tapers, I was hoping a 149 truck will work...

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2021, 12:27:29 PM »
Expand Quote

8.25”
9”
Surf Jr.
8.88” Gonz deck

[close]
What size trucks are you using with that frog? I was eyeing the jesse alba frog 10". With the tapers, I was hoping a 149 truck will work...
these are Thunder 151’s. I got them when I thought I could skate vert. They stick out a little in the back, but aren’t wide enough for the front of the board. I don’t have one of the Jesse Alba boards, but I’ve been tempted. TBH 149’s are already relatively wide trucks that can be more versatile after you’ve skated that deck. I’d go for it and see how it feels
fuck you bama

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2022, 08:53:39 AM »

Small popsicle 8.3
Big popsicle 8.75
Small egg
Big egg
Small shaped
Big shaped

Not my full quiver. But these are the ones that are getting actively skated. All reside in my trunk and roll with me everywhere. Some days I might be very methodical and calculated and skate 3 or 4 depending on terrain or trick I'm trying. Other days I'll just be feeling one setup in the morning and roll with it all day, no matter what I'm skating. All depends on the mood. Lately, it's been a lot of egg action.

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
I skate 4 actively:

1. Trick board
8.125 popsicle, 144s, 99A 52 F4s

2. Small egg
8.25, 144s, 99A 52 F4s

3. Big egg
8.75, 149s, 99A 53 F4s

4. Rain board
8.125 90s shape, 139s, big soft 56s

I have a cruiser too but I haven't used it much since I got a car almost 2 years ago.
I just love having many sets of trucks and trying new shapes. I usually have all my boards in my car and skate whatever feels comfier depending on the spot and my mood.
[close]

Concerning that rain board...I've only exposed one set up to a rain sesh, but it was truly soaked, killed all the bearings but also seemed to mess with my bushings and pivot cups (Ace classic 44s). Have you noticed rain affecting your trucks besides cosmetic damage? The trucks feel super tight, creaky and weird, worried I ruined them.

No problems yet but I haven't skated it in the pouring rain, just here and there for like 15 minutes when it was wet/damp outside.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2022, 12:30:15 AM »
I've got 2
the tech one: polar 7.875, royal lows 139, spitfire f4 99a classics 52
the grind cruiser: scumco 8.1, film 5.25, loophole 101a teardrop shape 54