Author Topic: Check out my emulator arcade machine  (Read 1155 times)

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
Check out my emulator arcade machine
« on: December 02, 2021, 12:55:55 PM »
Sup dudes, thought you guys might like this. I got a full size arcade cabinet, 4 players with trackball, light guns and 17,000 games. Runs on a Raspberry Pi 4 hooked up to a 42” screen. Plays basically everything up to the Dreamcast/PS1 era. I’m a big nerd and have always loved the X-Men so I had to get it wrapped.

https://imgur.com/a/LCFieKs

https://imgur.com/a/hi9H2OQ

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
Re: Check out my emulator arcade machine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »
Dude this is so fucking sick and I am so jealous. Amazing stuff. What was the game plan and execution of getting this done? Price overall? Give us details!!!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
I would definitely be posting a lot less if I had that at my disposal.

It's silly, but I'd sink way too much time into playing Burgertime if I had that setup. That and Tapper or Spyhunter.

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 03:39:10 AM »
That is so awesome! I've always wanted to buy a Raspberry because it has infinite uses but I'm not sure why I would be getting one... I'm glad something like this is doable so that's one more reason lol

What gamepads are those?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 07:22:35 AM »
Sup dudes, thought you guys might like this. I got a full size arcade cabinet, 4 players with trackball, light guns and 17,000 games. Runs on a Raspberry Pi 4 hooked up to a 42” screen. Plays basically everything up to the Dreamcast/PS1 era. I’m a big nerd and have always loved the X-Men so I had to get it wrapped.

If it goes up to Dreamcast you can play an arcade faithful version of MVC2!

MAME is the best thing ever, really makes me miss the arcade experience.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 07:23:33 PM »
Dude this is so fucking sick and I am so jealous. Amazing stuff. What was the game plan and execution of getting this done? Price overall? Give us details!!!

So this model was basically the fully loaded version, came to $2200 plus shipping. Bought it from a company called The Arcade Guys. Did a bunch of research and they were the most bang for your buck option, most companies are five grand and up. My only complaint is the control deck is too small and the trackball too close to the screen but my friends dad is actually going to help me make a new larger deck. They built it and shipped it from Florida to my house in Ohio in 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:31:48 PM by Theme For A Jackal »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
That is so awesome! I've always wanted to buy a Raspberry because it has infinite uses but I'm not sure why I would be getting one... I'm glad something like this is doable so that's one more reason lol

What gamepads are those?

I’m not sure what the make of the buttons or joystick are but they all just wire up to a USB bus that has a bunch of ports on it. I actually added a button to set up a better master switch; as it was the only good hot key button was select so when you’d hit select and start it would exit the game which was a real problem when you’re playing beat em ups and you needed to add coins and hit start. My friends kept accidentally exiting. I ordered the button and wiring harness, drilled the hole and just mounted it and plugged it right in, set it as hot key in the menu and I was done.

After seeing it and learning some Pi stuff there’s really not all that much to it but I have no woodworking skills otherwise I’d attempt to build my own. People make ‘images’ which are basically just a little os that has all your menus, graphics, music and control configuration stuff with a bunch of rom packs and you can download it for free, throw it on a flash card, plug it in a pi and you’re done.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it goes up to Dreamcast you can play an arcade faithful version of MVC2!

MAME is the best thing ever, really makes me miss the arcade experience.

Yeah it’s so fun, programmed the buttons up so they’re just like the arcade version

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »
This is fucking sick.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »
get virtua pig on that. that was always fun at the arcade
https://youtu.be/bE1I6riA-NU

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 07:12:04 PM »
get virtua pig on that. that was always fun at the arcade
https://youtu.be/bE1I6riA-NU

It’s got it lol, such a rad one. I’d like to figure out a way to use usb foot pedals for Time Crisis

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 02:37:51 PM »
the foot pedal really was a gamechanger back in the day when tc was released. house of the dead 2 and 3 are probably my favs

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 01:09:23 AM »
that's so dope man. great job!

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 05:11:52 PM »
Thats sick man. Made this a year or two ago, would almost reccommend aginst it its made me so fucking lazy lol
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »
Thats sick man. Made this a year or two ago, would almost reccommend aginst it its made me so fucking lazy lol

that's nuts man, whoah. bonus points for how gnarly that is!

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »

Lolololol that's crazy looking. Do you sleep with it above your head like that or does it winch up?

This is like the exact opposite of my gaming setup, I have posture issues so I just stand the whole time I play games. Been doing it so long I honestly forgot it was weird and my friends came over the other day and caught me in the act and were like "do you seriously just stand there while you play video games?"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 10:31:31 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 10:45:56 AM »
 After all the phone drops to my face and teeth

I would never make a set up like that out of fear. But I still think it's tight. You brave pal you

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2021, 06:09:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lolololol that's crazy looking. Do you sleep with it above your head like that or does it winch up?

This is like the exact opposite of my gaming setup, I have posture issues so I just stand the whole time I play games. Been doing it so long I honestly forgot it was weird and my friends came over the other day and caught me in the act and were like "do you seriously just stand there while you play video games?"

hahaha standing whilst gaming would look pretty odd like ur too pumped to sit down or something. man get a treadmill and kill two birds with one stone.

the monitor rests above my waist n slightly over the other side of the bed when i sleep, cant winch it up but can move it on the other two axis.
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
I'm gonna have my mom drop me off over there so we can get our game on

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
Surprise turn of events, I just sold this thing last night and I'm doubling down and getting a nicer one lol. The control deck on the old one was really small... 4 players were cramped and the trackball was too close to the screen to reasonably use, also the raspberry pi is pretty difficult to configure things on.

I'm now looking at one from this company https://ourcadecustomarcades.com/

They offer a 50" screen, much bigger control deck with optional upgrades like an LED marquee that syncs up with whatever game your playing, light up buttons and joysticks and a PC option which lets you do everything much easier in addition to playing newer PC based games and emulating more modern systems. Talked to the owner today and he's going to build the cabinet and set up all the bells and whistles but leave the computer out and my buddy who builds PC's is going to throw one in for me. Gonna take a week or so to mull it over before I order just incase anything else comes up.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
I'm gonna have my mom drop me off over there so we can get our game on

Come on down buddy, I've got two guest rooms

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 04:45:08 AM »
very sick, hope you post pictures of the new machine once you got it.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2022, 07:45:21 AM »

Ordered it last night, company said they're 4-5 weeks out on delivery. The primary appeal is that it's going to be a wider machine with a deeper control panel so much more room for 4-player playing but also the trackball will be further away from the screen so I won't have to worry about my friends punching it but even if they do there's a plexiglass covering in front of the tv. The trackball is also light up LED.

My friend is building a PC for me that's going to power the arcade as well as run a second HDMI to my TV so I can play modern PC games on that as well, I just have to get a decent graphics card which is going to be a hunt. With the specs we're going for I'll be able to play modern games like Halo Infinite as well as emulate much newer consoles than I could on the Raspberry Pi unit. Also will be able to play new games on the arcade itself with the joystick controls like Cuphead and that kind of stuff. Will also be much easier to set up wireless controllers, light guns and all kinds of peripheral attachments, even shit like Guitar Hero guitars.

I have a friend of a friend who's a really sick artist coming up with some custom artwork. As far as the cabinet features I went with all the bells and whistles. It's got an LED screen for the marquee and the graphic changes to match whatever game you're playing. All buttons and joysticks are clear with an RGB light inside and they're all programmable so I can change them to whatever color on the fly and also do custom light up patterns, same with the led lights that are mounted under and behind the cabinet. I didn't get the light guns because the ones he offers are just like the ones I had before which use a sensor bar and are very finicky, there's a company called Sinden who's guns actually have a camera inside so they're much more accurate and I plan on ordering a set of those. Spending silly money on it but fuck it; I live alone, my mortgage is cheap and I made great money this year and it's something I'll use nearly daily.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2022, 11:50:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ordered it last night, company said they're 4-5 weeks out on delivery. The primary appeal is that it's going to be a wider machine with a deeper control panel so much more room for 4-player playing but also the trackball will be further away from the screen so I won't have to worry about my friends punching it but even if they do there's a plexiglass covering in front of the tv. The trackball is also light up LED.

My friend is building a PC for me that's going to power the arcade as well as run a second HDMI to my TV so I can play modern PC games on that as well, I just have to get a decent graphics card which is going to be a hunt. With the specs we're going for I'll be able to play modern games like Halo Infinite as well as emulate much newer consoles than I could on the Raspberry Pi unit. Also will be able to play new games on the arcade itself with the joystick controls like Cuphead and that kind of stuff. Will also be much easier to set up wireless controllers, light guns and all kinds of peripheral attachments, even shit like Guitar Hero guitars.

I have a friend of a friend who's a really sick artist coming up with some custom artwork. As far as the cabinet features I went with all the bells and whistles. It's got an LED screen for the marquee and the graphic changes to match whatever game you're playing. All buttons and joysticks are clear with an RGB light inside and they're all programmable so I can change them to whatever color on the fly and also do custom light up patterns, same with the led lights that are mounted under and behind the cabinet. I didn't get the light guns because the ones he offers are just like the ones I had before which use a sensor bar and are very finicky, there's a company called Sinden who's guns actually have a camera inside so they're much more accurate and I plan on ordering a set of those. Spending silly money on it but fuck it; I live alone, my mortgage is cheap and I made great money this year and it's something I'll use nearly daily.

nah dude, that's totally fine spending money on what you love. i have a friend like that as well. if i had the money and space i'd do something like that, too. and i'm sure your friends will appreciate it, too!

anyways the new machine sounds dope af.