Author Topic: Thrasher's "Grindland"  (Read 6716 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Thrasher's "Grindland"
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2022, 08:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
will trade (1) gnar for gif of the gurney scream
[close]

I would have gnar’d you for letting me forget that, but then you said something and now I’m sad.
[close]

But i just want the gif not a gnar
Here you go my friend.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 06:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I would have gnar’d you for letting me forget that, but then you said something and now I’m sad.
[close]

[close]
Here you go my friend.

Oh fuck yes gnar'd and there will be more where that came from. thank you this is going in my sig  :-*

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 10:07:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Here you go my friend.

[close]

Oh fuck yes gnar'd and there will be more where that came from. thank you this is going in my sig  :-*

I sat with my sorrow for long enough that now I'm happy for you for achieving perfect synchrony between your username and signature gif.  Gnars all around. 

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 11:43:05 AM »
Expand Quote
This thing was weird and not really what they presented it to be.  I was expecting some kind of cinematic documentary about these two guys, and it was really just a burnout episode about that one event with some puff piece doc segments awkwardly thrown in. 

It was entertaining, but they sold it like it was a definitive documentary about the diy scene, and it definitely was not that
[close]

Agreed. I enjoyed it, but i wish there was more coverage on DIY – how Burnside not only led to two concrete builders, but directly inspired other iconic DIY spots like Marginal Way, Channel St, Washington St, etc.

i don't want to be negative about what they have done with Grindland, my respect for Monk and Red is to big to hate.

But they could have done much more out of the history of this guys.

All three groups: 1. Burnside , 2. Dreamland and 3 Gridline Crew had so much legendary dudes - and they didt let them speak out. Sure they could tell  tons of good stories about all the projects they have done.

Then this 3 groups start two completely new "cultures" in skateboarding.

1. DIY cult of building own spots all over the world. Seeing first picture of Burnside was opening minds worldwide whats possible with some crete. They have inspired amazing people everywhere to start by there own. Woud like to add that. 

2. professional Skatepark Design and Build
For sure - they also piss of some people with that gnarly skateparks without a ledge, flatrail and pyra hip, but they defiantly change the total approach for skatepark design and construction word wide. 

Not solo Monk and Red - which are the biggest characters - but this 3 crews have started the biggest  change in skateboarding of the last 25 years.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:09 AM »
This was a bizarre and clunky documentary, to put it lightly. Had very little rhythm, and bounced around too much to that modern day event, which no offense to the deceased, did not translate well enough to video to spend half the runtime on.

Also, Michael Burnett is awkward on camera and presents himself as a seasoned reality TV star who is delivering “lines” and doesn’t come off as authentic or real in any way. Dude just has zero on screen charisma for someone who finds himself in front of a camera often

user18081971

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2022, 10:50:25 AM »
I think Burnett having to follow up Phelps’, along with the whole king of the road persona definitely makes him act differently. Before KOTR he didn’t conduct himself this way in videos or when interviewing people. Watch InFocus.