Author Topic: Can skateboard equipment get any better than it is now?  (Read 4057 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Can skateboard equipment get any better than it is now?
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2021, 12:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This brand is literally the wackiest shit ever, so maybe you guys don't care for them, but I wasn't really aware of them until I ended up in their instagram today and saw that they are trying a new deck construction, also having the sustainability aspect in mind which is cool. Curious to know how its made and how it would even feel compared to a regular deck (since there's no wood on it supposedly).
[close]

They might make the best skateboard ever someday but their marketing is so incredibly bad. They're from my country and almost nobody here knows about it. But I wish them the best, the vision is great
[close]

Yeah man, the marketing is really garbage. They make skateboards for guys that think doing a triple flip out of the skatepark launch ramp makes you the best skater in town.
But yeah this actually made me think if skateboarding tech is actually being held back because it’s always pushed by nerds with zero sense of taste.

The webstore is empty except for a hoodie, anyone know the price of 1 of these decks? Can't be cheap after factoring shipping outside the EU.

If these boards are as good as they say they are, they better last the better part of a year.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2021, 10:00:58 AM »
Here's a thought: Seems like most of us agree that while there's probably room for improvement in several areas, it's not like the skateboard consumers of the world are all clamoring for some big problem to be 'fixed,' and especially not at the higher price point that such a thing would likely entail.

But most of us love trying new stuff, or have some amount of desire to dial in our setups for one particular purpose, feeling, aesthetic, etc.

What if the most meaningful technological advancement is not related to the products themselves, but rather to the was we design and produce them?

I'm thinking about the way that more people are starting to handcraft artisan decks. If it was easier to get the perfect shape and dimension that I wanted from a local guy with a small-scale woodshop, I would probably be happy to pay a few extra bucks that are going to stay in my local community. Again I'm reminded of surfing, and how local shapers can use templates or CAD files or whatever to basically imitate or modify any model you like.

Now imagine if the more manufacturing-intensive stuff like wheels could be made to spec as well. I would definitely be hyped if I could go down to my local urethane dealer and get some F4's custom made in 95a.

This would be more related to advances in small-scale manufacturing technologies, maybe tied to the rise in "makerspaces," 3D printing, and stuff like that. I think 3D printing as it currently exists is basically useless to skateboard gear, but it seems like the general concept of making new kinds of fabrication possible to end consumers could be really interesting.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2021, 07:51:55 AM »
Manufacturing tolerances/materials/designs will get better as the largest generation of skaters find themselves getting older and having more disposable income. I wouldn’t be surprised if in ten years time there’s completely machined precision trucks similar to the ones longboarders have but they’re ridden exclusively by old farts doing no complys and slappies

This is totally going to happen. Small, boutique manufacturing of trucks by a skater/machinist. You see this stuff all over the bike industry, so maybe it’s time skateboarding got their own Paul Components.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2021, 08:04:49 AM »
Expand Quote

Skateboards just aren't that complex of a mechanism, and people really don't want them to change much.  Just look at bikes.  I would argue that they're more complex, and that market has been pretty stagnant since the 90's, with mainly changes in materials being the "innovation".

[close]

Hmm I'm going to have to hard disagree with that one. Mountain bikes have evolved massively since the 90s. Full suspension trail shred sleds are unrecognizable compared to their rigid 90s counterparts. And even road bikes have come a long way.

I can’t believe I’m just seeing this. Yeah, anyone saying that bikes haven’t changed and that the market has been stagnant since the 90s is living on another planet. I’m a true-blue bike industry vet - spent 12 years wrenching and working in manufacturing. So much changed it would be nearly impossible to list - bottom brackets, 1x drivetrains, brakes, cranks and chainrings, gear clusters, shifters, electronic shifting, dropper posts, derailleurs, wheels, materials, geometry, travel. Bikes are so different now that it can be legitimately hard to find parts for high end full suspension bikes ~5 years after they were made, so much so that small machinists have popped up to reproduce things like discontinued linkages. Things are a little more backwards compatible on the road side, but to say that the bike hasn’t changed since the 90s is just entirely incorrect.

A better discussion would be whether or not we want the skate industry to function like the bike industry, with competing “standards” - we don’t! Goodwill you it never ends up that way.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2021, 08:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This brand is literally the wackiest shit ever, so maybe you guys don't care for them, but I wasn't really aware of them until I ended up in their instagram today and saw that they are trying a new deck construction, also having the sustainability aspect in mind which is cool. Curious to know how its made and how it would even feel compared to a regular deck (since there's no wood on it supposedly).
[close]

They might make the best skateboard ever someday but their marketing is so incredibly bad. They're from my country and almost nobody here knows about it. But I wish them the best, the vision is great
[close]

Yeah man, the marketing is really garbage. They make skateboards for guys that think doing a triple flip out of the skatepark launch ramp makes you the best skater in town.
But yeah this actually made me think if skateboarding tech is actually being held back because it’s always pushed by nerds with zero sense of taste.

That’s really the problem - if anyone does innovate, especially from outside the industry, skaters have a hard time taking them seriously, or they market towards the “wrong” type of skater in the sense of sending their product to Revive or Braille to test and show off. Once something ends up in that orbit, “hardcore” skaters take them significantly less seriously.

Even veteran companies like Powell have created what is apparently a demonstrably better skateboard than anything else on the market, and most of us are still clamoring for 7-ply decks with familiar pro names on them.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
Lighter Slicks would be nice - my buddy rode an Everslick and struggled with the weight. If they bottom plastic layer is supposed to give 7x the strength, maybe thin out the maple plys to compensate for the weight.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fasttimes

• Rep: -31
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »
Skateboarding just takes other manufacturing technologies and applies them to skateboarding. I imagine a savvy owner could send someone to a plastics convention for example and find a new urethane polymer and drastically change the skate industry. But is someone going to buy a 15 dollar pivot cup? To take it a step further, this would create a need for quality management within a company's employee pool. With the ups and downs skateboarding has and the fact that the target market isn't working adults is the main reason why akateboard technology doesn't need or can't improve. Personally I think it is cool that these baseline materials can create so much fun and be so amazing to someone who has never seen someone master it before. The bike example is a good one but the customer base may not be a 14 yo kid and that creates a need for product improvement and brand completion. Think golf for example.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2021, 11:58:28 PM »
Make titanium hardware standard, lord knows we need the 4g weight reduction.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 204
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
titanium hardware! great idea!

peterkape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s really the problem - if anyone does innovate, especially from outside the industry, skaters have a hard time taking them seriously, or they market towards the “wrong” type of skater in the sense of sending their product to Revive or Braille to test and show off. Once something ends up in that orbit, “hardcore” skaters take them significantly less seriously.

Even veteran companies like Powell have created what is apparently a demonstrably better skateboard than anything else on the market, and most of us are still clamoring for 7-ply decks with familiar pro names on them.

Hey Im Peter, the founder of Kape (or as some people call it: the whackiest shit ever :D)

Just wanted to let you know that I would be happy to answer you all your questions about our brand and new technology.
I strongly believe that there is a better way to make skateboards than just using plywood. The feel of a new 7ply deck is amazing, we all know that. But having it lose its pop in a short period of time or getting it chipped or broken is not cool in my opinion. I have spent the last 8 years of my life figuring out how to make skateboards better. And after around 6 years i figured that the standard veneer pressing technique is limiting the possibilities. we came up with a new technology where we use recycled plastic as the main material and combine it with super strong an snappy fibers. this way we achieved the board feel of a wooden board, but without the downsides. This new board is called the Vanguard. Its literally waterproof, cannot chip, razor tails 20x slower and is 8 times stronger.

I know this might sound like any other board company that is trying to sell you the next gimmicky board technology, but it really isn´t.
Yes, Kape has been a one man show untill 2019. And i was never the born marketing guy. But since we are now having more people working for kape, this will also change.

What I´m asking for is just one thing: try it out before you judge. I figured that usually nobody really believes me when I tell them all of the above but as soon as somebody tries it out, they are amazed of how good our boards feel.

Sorry if this comes off as self praising but making great skateboards is the most important thing in my life so I had to say this here too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hey Im Peter, the founder of Kape (or as some people call it: the whackiest shit ever :D)

Just wanted to let you know that I would be happy to answer you all your questions about our brand and new technology.
I strongly believe that there is a better way to make skateboards than just using plywood. The feel of a new 7ply deck is amazing, we all know that. But having it lose its pop in a short period of time or getting it chipped or broken is not cool in my opinion. I have spent the last 8 years of my life figuring out how to make skateboards better. And after around 6 years i figured that the standard veneer pressing technique is limiting the possibilities. we came up with a new technology where we use recycled plastic as the main material and combine it with super strong an snappy fibers. this way we achieved the board feel of a wooden board, but without the downsides. This new board is called the Vanguard. Its literally waterproof, cannot chip, razor tails 20x slower and is 8 times stronger.

I know this might sound like any other board company that is trying to sell you the next gimmicky board technology, but it really isn´t.
Yes, Kape has been a one man show untill 2019. And i was never the born marketing guy. But since we are now having more people working for kape, this will also change.

What I´m asking for is just one thing: try it out before you judge. I figured that usually nobody really believes me when I tell them all of the above but as soon as somebody tries it out, they are amazed of how good our boards feel.

Sorry if this comes off as self praising but making great skateboards is the most important thing in my life so I had to say this here too.
if you send me a deck and it's good i will report back to this thread and tell everyone how great it was. dm if you're interested  ;D

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

it doesnt sound horrible tbh. i just think eventually the grip will get so dirty and worn out so the board still looks 85% new or something and the grip looks a year old dirty being super frayed far from the edges. then having to regrip it which is always a chore in itself by taking a hair dryer to the plastic or something akin to that. more importantly if all boards lasted as long as yours it would be nice too but the industry would shun that because of their sales if this started being popular. on the other hand wood is nice simple and classy and people like getting new ephemeral boards with different shapes etc

peterkape

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
if you send me a deck and it's good i will report back to this thread and tell everyone how great it was. dm if you're interested  ;D

Thanks man!
We are still in the process of finishing the serial manufacturing so we don´t have any boards from the new model yet. (just prototypes)
As soon as they are ready for sale we will do testing days though. Where we go from town to town so people can try it out for free.
We will only send out free boards to selected people due to budget reasons.

peterkape

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
it doesnt sound horrible tbh. i just think eventually the grip will get so dirty and worn out so the board still looks 85% new or something and the grip looks a year old dirty being super frayed far from the edges. then having to regrip it which is always a chore in itself by taking a hair dryer to the plastic or something akin to that. more importantly if all boards lasted as long as yours it would be nice too but the industry would shun that because of their sales if this started being popular. on the other hand wood is nice simple and classy and people like getting new ephemeral boards with different shapes etc

You are right. The griptape is a problem.
That is why we will send at least 2 griptapes with every board order.
The thing with the long lasting boards resulting in less sales is true as well. But to be honest, making money by selling boards that constantly need to be replaced was never the reason I started making boards. If we can make a board that lasts a lifetime we would lose a customer but I´m good with that as long as the skater is happy with his deck.
The reality may be different though. Even if you skate a board for 6 months and its technically still good, you probably might buy a new one and give the old one to a homie in need. - we will see.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hi Peter,

We're glad you reached out for marketing advice.

Skateboarders are by nature are fickle bunch. It's hard to corner the market on cutting-edge graphics and brand imaging. Pizza famously capitalized off the pizzeria aesthetic and reaped the benefits. Strong brand image is everything in this game, you really have to stand out. World Industries changed the whole narrative of what a skate company should be when Steve Rocco discovered all skateboarders are socially inept pimple-faced prepubescent boys. Enter Fire and Water boy. We all know how that tail ended; with Bitch skateboards.

I'm proposing a cowboy... no a cowman image featuring equestrian deification. Ping me back with thoughts.

Thank you,
PuffinMuffin
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

peterkape

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hi Peter,

Skateboarders are by nature are fickle bunch. It's hard to corner the market on cutting-edge graphics and brand imaging. Pizza famously capitalized off the pizzeria aesthetic and reaped the benefits. Strong brand image is everything in this game, you really have to stand out. World Industries changed the whole narrative of what a skate company should be when Steve Rocco discovered all skateboarders are socially inept pimple-faced prepubescent boys. Enter Fire and Water boy. We all know how that tail ended; with Bitch skateboards.

I'm proposing a cowboy... no a cowman image featuring equestrian deification. Ping me back with thoughts.

Thank you,
PuffinMuffin

Hey PuffinMuffin,

I can´t believe you put in the time to make this graphic. I had a good laugh thanks!  ;D
We will stick to a blank board. The shape itself is noticeable enough, no need for flashy images. (it has built in rails for instance)
I am aware that this board is polarizing. the people who don't like it can always fall back on the tried and tested maple.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hi Peter,

Thank you,
PuffinMuffin
[close]

Hey PuffinMuffin,

I can´t believe you put in the time to make this graphic. I had a good laugh thanks!  ;D
We will stick to a blank board. The shape itself is noticeable enough, no need for flashy images. (it has built in rails for instance)
I am aware that this board is polarizing. the people who don't like it can always fall back on the tried and tested maple.

I feel it's an awesome idea for the sake of sustainability and would like to see you guys succeed. I'll definitely try one. Best of you luck to you.  :)

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hi Peter,

Thank you,
PuffinMuffin
[close]

Hey PuffinMuffin,

I think you have a really cool product here, the use of recycled plastic is always a plus and it's a neat idea to integrate rails directly into the deck. What do you think is going to be the retail price?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

peterkape

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hi Peter,

Thank you,
PuffinMuffin
[close]

Hey PuffinMuffin,

[close]

I think you have a really cool product here, the use of recycled plastic is always a plus and it's a neat idea to integrate rails directly into the deck. What do you think is going to be the retail price?

Thanks a lot!
The price is our biggest hurdle at the moment. (due to massively expensive equipment)
It will be 200€ / 225 usd.  Which is around 4 times more than traditional decks. But if you take into consideration that it will last probably 8 times longer than wooden boards, its actually much cheaper on the long run.
However, the more we make the more the production costs will sink. In the future we will have more sizes and shapes and we will try to lower our prices as much as we can so it becomes affordable for anybody.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2021, 02:17:05 AM »
Peter, and I’m saying this as a friend, you’re fucking blowing it.

Cowmen are the future of skateboarding and you are refusing to innovate. Give the people what they want. Print the graphic and swim in the millions like Scrooge McDuck.

Shout out to captains.

Original artwork by PuffinMuffin
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
Tensor mag light trucks are being redesigned right now so none of them have magnesium baseplates. but look out for a new mag light coming out sometime.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2021, 01:56:48 PM »
Tensor mag light trucks are being redesigned right now so none of them have magnesium baseplates. but look out for a new mag light coming out sometime.

From what Tensor said, it’s hard to ascertain what they’re considering a redesign. I took as they threw some alloy baseplates on maglight hangers and called it a day.

Those trucks felt amazing though. Hopefully they beef up the axels if they really are resigning them, cuz they bent so easy.  :-\